"Telling Dad"

Author: Pamela
Contact:
destructo-girl@cox.net

"You ready?" Buffy asked as she smiled nervously at her fiancé.

Angel was looking a little pale. "I just... Don't forget that I don't *want* to hurt your father, but if he attacks, I have to defend myself."

"Angel, he's not a rabid dog!" Buffy replied, chuckling at his apprehension.

"Buffy, you are his daughter. I am the man who got you pregnant. He's going to kill me."

Buffy smiled. "I'll protect you."

She patted him on the arm and climbed out the passenger side of Angel's 4 Runner. Reluctantly, Angel followed her out of the car and took Buffy's waiting hand in his own. Slowly, the couple walked into the restaurant for lunch with Hank Summers.

They had left Sunnydale at half past nine that morning so that they could meet Buffy's father for lunch in LA. Angel spotted Hank as soon as they walked in; he was seated in a booth shaped in a half circle near the entrance to the restaurant. As soon as he saw the two of them walking towards him, Hank got up and hugged his daughter tightly. He politely shook Angel's hand and the three sat down with Buffy in the middle.

They made light conversation and placed their order. Soon after their meals had been delivered, Buffy decided to bite the bullet and tell her father their news.

"Daddy, Angel and I have something to tell you."

Hank looked up at his daughter and her boyfriend, both their faces looked grim. "Are you calling off the wedding? Or postponing it?"

Buffy frowned. "Daddy!"

Angel shook his head. This was not going to go well at all.

Buffy grabbed his hand, as if it were a security blanket. She looked at her father and took a deep breath. "I'm pregnant."

Hank's jaw dropped in shock. Buffy and Angel watched him closely as he slowly absorbed the information Buffy had just given him.

"Are you okay Dad?"

Hank felt a surge of anger enter his body. In one swift movement he was reaching across the table and wrapping his hands around Angel's throat. He squeezed, trying to crush the life out of the man who had impregnated his daughter.

"Dad!" Buffy shrieked, causing most of the other patrons of the restaurant to turn and stare at the scene unfolding before them. She stood as best she could in the middle of the booth, prying her father off of Angel. Between the two of them, Angel and Buffy soon had Hank back in his spot on the other side of the table from Angel.

"Are you okay?" Buffy asked Angel, trying to make sure her father hadn't done any damage to his neck.

Angel nodded. The mortal man hadn't hurt him, just surprised him.

The spectators slowly turned back to their meals, the momentary diversion no longer holding their interest. Hank sat in his seat, shaking his head in disbelief.

"Pregnant! Eighteen years old and pregnant!" He muttered to himself, before looking up at Buffy. "Are you sure? Did you take a test? Maybe you should take another test, those things are pretty easy to mess up."

"I found out from my doctor Dad, it's for sure."

Hank ran a hand through his hair. This was too much. Not only was his baby getting married, she was having a baby of her own! He reached over and grabbed Buffy's arm. Before she knew what he was doing, he pulled her out of the booth.

"You are coming home with me. I will not allow you to spend any more time alone with this... pervert!"

Buffy wrenched out of his grasp. "I'm not leaving Angel, I love him!"

"Buffy, be reasonable." Hank argued.

"I am being reasonable, you're the one who wants to take me away from my fiancé!"

Trying to keep his voice down so that the people who had turned around again to see the latest commotion, Angel intervened. "Why don't we all sit down and discuss this?"

Sighing, the father and daughter got back in the booth.

"Is this why you're engaged?" Hank asked.

Buffy shook her head. "No, I just found out I'm pregnant. I'm only about 5 weeks along."

Hank closed his eyes and shook his head. "I had so many hopes for you Buffy. You're too young. You haven't had a chance to experience life. Are you happy about this?"

"She was scared at first." Angel spoke up. "She was scared to tell me, scared of how I'd react. But we want this baby. I know Buffy is young, but she's pregnant. It's a fact we can't change that. We already love this child, and we know it won't always be easy, but we're prepared to deal with it."

Buffy smiled up at Angel in adoration. He always knew the perfect thing to say.

Hank sighed. "Well, there's obviously nothing I can do about this. You always had a strong will, there was no talking you out of anything."

They finished the rest of their lunch relatively uneventfully. Afterwards, Angel went and waited by his car while Buffy walked Hank to his so that they could be alone for a few moments.

"Are you incredibly disappointed in me Daddy?"

Hank shook his head. "Not *in* you, I'm disappointed *for* you Buffy. You have so much potential, but you'll probably never get a chance now."

"Oh, I don't know. I'm sure that whatever I decided I wanted to do, Angel would do all he could to help me make it happen."

"You really do love him, don't you?"

"Yes I do, more than I ever thought possible. I know you think I'm too young to know, but trust me Dad, I love him and it's real."

Hank hugged her. "I'll try to believe you."

"Thank you." Buffy replied with a smile as she stood on her tiptoes and kissed him on the cheek.

"Just one thing." Hank added, hugging her once more. "If he hurts you, I'll kill him."

Buffy smiled. "You have *nothing* to worry about."

After her father got in his car, Buffy walked over to Angel, who was leaning against the passenger side of his car. She walked over to him and leaned against his chest as she wrapped her arms around his waist. Angel ran his hands over her back and kissed the top of her head.

"Everything okay?" He asked quietly.

"Everything is just fine." She replied with a smile before kissing him softly on the lips.

And with that taken care of, the couple got in Angel's car and began the two-hour drive back to Sunnydale.

 

The End

 

<< back