"Secrets"

Author: Pamela
Contact:
destructo-girl@cox.net
Notes:
This is kinda corny. Fluffy too. My apologies in advance.


"We have to go to Sunnydale."

Doyle's announcement made Angel's borrowed blood go even colder. Even Cordelia paled.

"Are you sure?" Angel asked in a low voice.

Doyle nodded, almost mournfully. Their latest mission was sure to reopen not-quite-yet-healed wounds.

For Cordelia, it meant facing her old life. Bringing back her fond memories of childhood along with the depressing memories of losing all her riches and pride. Doyle just hoped going back to the Hellmouth after being gone over a year wouldn't be too hard on his girlfriend.

However, he was very worried about Angel. Going to Sunnydale meant seeing Buffy. The last time he'd done that, nine months earlier, it had been so hard to say goodbye it had almost broken him. It had taken months to get him back to his normal, depressing self.

"Alright, then." Angel answered. "Should we leave at sundown?"

"That would be best." Doyle replied. "I already contacted the Watcher to make him aware of the problem, but why don't you call him back and let him know when we'll be arriving, Cordelia?"

The brunette nodded. "The sun will probably go down at about eight, so should I tell Giles we'll be there around ten?"

"Sounds good to me, Doll." Doyle replied with a small smile.

Nodding again, Cordelia turned and left the two men alone so that she could go make her call.

"Are you sure you're going to be able to do this?" The half-demon asked his boss once they were alone.

"When Buffy's life is in danger I make myself deal." Angel answered with determination.

"Might you tell her the truth now, Man?"

Angel shook his head. "It doesn't change anything, not really. All it will do is make things harder."


"So, I should try to be at your place by ten?" Buffy asked, hoping her voice didn't sound as shaky as she felt. Giles had told her Angel would be coming into town a few moments earlier and ever since her heart had been pounding a mile a minute.

"Yes… do you think you'll be able to?" Giles replied.

"Yeah, but I'll have to be home by eleven-thirty. Mom and Sam have to be at the airport by midnight so they can go on their… oh, I guess *fifth* honeymoon."

Giles chuckled at how his longtime friend seemed to which Joyce around the country constantly since they had first met six months earlier. "Where are they off to now?"

"A week in Key West." Buffy informed him, examining herself in her full-length mirror, trying to decide if Angel would be able to tell right away.

"Well, we'll most likely be done well before then, so it shouldn't be a problem." Giles sighed. "See you in a few hours?"

"Sure.. bye Giles." Buffy replied before disconnecting and putting her cordless phone back on the cradle.

Taking a deep breath, she headed to her closet to find a good outfit, but was interrupted when she heard a cry on the monitor. Not wanting to have two crying babies, Buffy rushed out of her bedroom and down the hall to the nursery, lifting up her crying daughter and trying to calm her before she woke her brother.


Buffy smiled at Xander politely, not noticing whatever he was doing to try to get her mind off Angel as Giles and Willow poured through some books. It was a quarter past ten and Buffy was feeling more than a little anxious. Part of her was dreading hearing a knock on the door, but a bigger part wished they would get there so she could get this over with. She'd already made her friends reluctantly agree not to breathe a word of anything to Angel, so as long as she didn't have to let Angel get too involved in her life, it would be okay.

Finally, the doorbell rang. Xander jumped up to answer it as Giles and Willow finished their reading and Buffy steeled herself for the encounter. She looked towards the door and saw a tense looking Cordelia, followed by Doyle, and then Him.

He was gorgeous, even more than she had remembered. Their eyes met instantly and the connection was almost a physical presence. Many times, Buffy had wished their love for each other would just go away, since it only seemed to hurt them… but being in the same room with him reminded her of how incredible to feel that way about another human being… or vampire.

She unconsciously floated through her greetings to Doyle and Cordelia, only shyly saying Angel's name instead of hello. Angel seemed equally awkward, replying in kind before sitting on the couch across from Buffy.

They managed to take their attention off of each other so they could focus on Giles explaining about a demon named Valicar that would be using an upcoming planetary alignment to gain enough power that he could very easily destroy the world. They had no idea where he might be hiding; just that they would the alignment was in two nights. From Doyle's vision, they knew that he would be performing the ritual in the middle of Washington Park, on the cement stage area.

Deciding to call it a night since they could come up with an attack strategy the next night, plus it was nearing eleven and Giles wanted to give Buffy plenty of time to get home.

"Where are you guys going to stay?" Willow asked as every stood and stretched their muscles.

"I guess we'll try to get some rooms at a motel." Cordelia replied, biting her lip. "You don't think it's too late to check in, do you?"

"Why don't you stay at Buffy's?" Giles suggested as he began clearing up the glasses they'd used. "Her step-father's home is quite big, they have plenty of rooms."

Buffy felt the blood rush from her face. She'd made him promise to keep her secret! There was no way Angel wouldn't find out if he were staying in the same house as her.

"That would be fine... If that's all right with you, Buffy?" Angel replied quietly. He wasn't so sure she wanted them there. He'd seen the uncomfortable look on her face. He had the same reluctance to be so close to her, the one woman he loved more than anything on this earth. She was even more beautiful than ever.

"That's fine with me." Buffy replied quietly, picking up the tray with snacks on it and following Giles into the kitchen. "What is the matter with you?" She hissed, keeping her voice low so that she could keep their conversation private.

"Nothing, I feel quite good, actually." Giles replied with a smiled, knowing he wasn't answering the question the way she'd meant it.

"Giles, you promised not to tell him!"

"I didn't tell him, Buffy. I never promised that I wouldn't *let* him find out."

Buffy sighed and ran a hand through her hair. "Why are you doing this to me?"

Giles stepped closer to her, concern etched on his face. "Buffy, I'm doing this *for* you. You need to tell Angel the truth."

Buffy shook her head. "It's already too late."

"Oh, I don't know. Do you really think there is anything you could do that Angel wouldn't forgive you?"

Buffy was too afraid to answer the question.


Soon after, Buffy had pulled herself together and joined everyone in the living room. Spike had shown up, characteristically extremely late. However, he seemed to provide much needed relief by antagonizing both Buffy and Angel so that neither had a chance to stare longingly at the other.

Willow had an exam to study for, so she soon left, taking Xander so he could give her a ride back to campus. Doyle and Spike got into an argument about whether Englishmen or Irishmen were better at holding their liquor, then decided to head out to a bar to hold a drinking contest. After getting directions to her home from Buffy, Doyle drug Angel out the door with Spike leading the way.

It was a quarter after eleven before Cordelia and Buffy left as well. They drove to Buffy's home with idle conversation for most of the way.

Cordelia cleared her throat, deciding she better ask Buffy about the big secret, so she could be sure not to say too much. "What are you going to tell Angel? You do realize he's going to find out about them, right?"

"Yeah… I know. It's kind of hard, with us all living in the same place. I'll tell him… if he asks." Buffy replied quietly.

Cordelia wasn't sure she liked that answer, but it was Buffy's life. If she wanted to screw it up even more, who was she to stand in the way?

Buffy pulled into the circular driveway, smiling as Cordelia gawked at the nice sized home Buffy now resided in.

"Jeez, Buffy, your mother sure knows how to marry!" Cordelia remarked as they got out of the car.

Buffy rolled her eyes and shook her head. "Same old Cordelia, I see."


It was shortly after one in the morning when Buffy heard a knock at the door. She put down the book she'd been reading in the living room and opened the door to her houseguests.

"Well, 'ello Buffy!" Doyle greeted jovially, from where he leaned against the doorframe.

Buffy gave him an amused look. "Hi Doyle."

Angel rolled his eyes at his friend and gave Buffy a small smile. "Did we keep you waiting?"

"Oh.. it's okay. I was.. reading a book. I never really get a chance anymore so it was nice."

Angel nodded as he carried their bags in with Doyle following. "That reminds me… I meant to ask why you aren't staying on campus with Willow anymore? Aren't you in school?"

"Um… why don't we put Doyle to bed and then we can talk all about me." Buffy suggested, trying to avoid the topic until she could show Angel her little 'surprise'. "Do you want to just leave your bags here for now?

Angel nodded, setting the bags down and following Buffy as he led the drunken man up the stairs. "Your new home is very nice, Buffy."

"Thanks… my stepfather insisted that he and my mom must start out on equal ground, in a house that was new to them both. He read it in a self-help book on marriage." Buffy replied with a smile. "Between his marriage books and my mom's parenting books I feel on the verge sometimes."

"Sounds like he's nice, though?" He asked.

Buffy nodded. "Sam is very cool. He's an old friend of Giles' from England, and he knows all about the paranormal, so I don't have to hide the slayer thing."

"That's really great." Angel replied, genuinely happy, as he led the nearly unconscious Doyle down the hall.

Buffy knocked softly on one of the doors. "Cordelia said they'd want to share a room?"

Angel nodded. "They're very coupled. Right down to the incessant bickering."

Buffy smiled, then turned as the door opened and revealed a half-asleep Cordelia. "They're home." She said quietly to her friend.

Cordelia glared at her boyfriend. "You're drunk."

"How 'bouts you give me a kiss, Doll?" Doyle slurred.

"As if!" Cordelia replied, turning and walking back into the room. Angel dragged his friend in behind her, then deposited him on the bed.

"Thanks… I can take it from here." Cordelia told him.

"All right.. 'night Cordelia." Angel replied, leaving the room.

"Sleep well, Cordy." Buffy said, as she shut the door.

"There was something you wanted to tell me?" Angel asked. "About school?"

Buffy nodded. "But I should probably show you first." She started walking down the hall slowly, with Angel following her. "I want you to know that the last thing in the world I want to do is hurt you. I didn't even want you to know about this because I know it will be hard on you… but with you staying here, I don't really have a choice.

Angel grew very nervous. Whatever her surprise was, it was big… and it was going to hurt him. He watched her slowly open a bedroom door before following her in. She turned on a dim lamp to give some light to the room.

He gazed around curiously, taking in the dresser, changing table, rocking chair and two cribs. Buffy led him over to the cribs and he saw two tiny infants, once in a blue sleeper, the other in a pink one.

Buffy softly explained. "Angel, this is Matthew and Zoe. They're my babies."


Angel was stunned. Babies? Buffy had babies. She was looking at him, waiting to see his reaction… but even he didn't know how he felt besides shock.

Once he regained some cognitive function, he did some quick math in his head. It had been nine months since he'd seen her… these babies weren't just born. He remembered the fellow Spike had told him about. That would make sense. She'd given birth to that bastard's children.

He looked back down at the sleeping babies… no matter how much he tried he couldn't hate them. They were innocents. Even if their father was an incredible asshole, their mother was the most giving and kindhearted people in the world.

"Is their father in their lives?" He asked quietly. "Does he help you?"

Buffy shook her head. "I thought it would be best for everyone involved if he wasn't." There, she wasn't lying. Although, the look on Angel's face made her feel more horrible and guilty than ever before in her life.

"It's his loss." Angel replied, looking over at her and giving her a small smile. "They're beautiful… I guess they take after their mother."

Buffy let out a small sob of relief. "You don't hate me?"

"What? No, Buffy... I could never hate you." Angel reassured pulling her into a hug without even thinking about it, as thought it was habit.

Buffy squeezed him back tightly, reveling at how great it felt to be in his arms. She'd missed him so much. There had been many times she had felt so weak, needed him so much, it had almost killed her not to call him. They only thing that stopped her were that she always reminded herself that Angel didn't need her depending on him. He needed her to take care of herself. And that fact gave her the strength to do so.

The two former lovers pulled back awkwardly, trading nervous smiles. Buffy made sure both her newborns were properly covered with blankets before she led Angel back out of the room.

"Well, we better get to our rooms… they'll be up in a few hours for their three a.m. feeding… I need to sleep when I can." Buffy explained.

Angel nodded. "You do look a bit overworked."

"Well… most mom's are with one baby and a husband… I'm on my own with two of them." Buffy chuckled.

"You know you're never really on your own, right? If you ever need me..."

"Oh, Angel, I couldn't ask you to do that! It must hurt you to see them!" Buffy replied with tears welling in her eyes.

"They're your children, Buffy. They came from your womb." Angel reassured, gently running her fingers over her cheek. "That alone makes me love them and want to help you raise them in any way I can."

Buffy felt a stab of guilt. She was hurting him so much and he was still so good to her. "Why don't I show you to your room?" She suggested, feeling like the most evil person ever.

Angel nodded, wishing that it would be in her room. It was ridiculous; he wouldn't let her be with him. She deserved a normal life. Now that she had kids, it was even more important.


"What did you tell him?"

"The truth." Buffy replied.

"What did he say?" Cordelia asked, amazed she had slept through Angel's reaction. She figured it would have been rather loud.

"Not much." Buffy replied with a shrug.

"Not much? What, did you kill him?"

"Of course not..." Buffy told her, taking a deep breath. "He just thinks that Parker is Zoe and Matthew's father."

"Eww! Why did you tell him that?" Cordelia asked, wrinkling her nose.

"I didn't tell him that... He assumed that. You know, because I slept with him nine months ago and they are three weeks old… so he did the math and the math adds up to Parker being their dad."

"And you offered no evidence to the contrary?"

"Well… it went like this… I showed him the twins… and he was really quiet for a few minutes… he asked if their father was around and I told him that I'd decided it was best if it was just me and the twins." Buffy explained, before her expression darkened. "And then he said that it was their father's loss and told me he'd help me if I ever needed it because he already loved them simply because they were my kids."

Cordelia sighed. "Okay, technically you didn't lie… but there some facts that Angel might benefit from hearing."

"Or there are facts that might hurt him even more." Buffy countered.

"Buffy…"

"No, Cordelia… don't you think I've thought about this? Don't you think I weighed every factor? This is the best way. Yes, it hurts, but as long as he doesn't know it won't hurt him and it won't hurt Zoe or Matthew. I'm the one who has to live with all the guilt, all the broken dreams… all the pain. I'm willing to do that for the three of them." Buffy argued. "But if he finds that then I'll be in even more pain, the kids will suffer… and so will Angel!"

Cordelia nodded in agreement. Buffy had a good point. Cordelia hated the point, but it was a good one.


Angel awoke about two hours before sunset. After pacing in his room for twenty minutes, he knew he wouldn't be able to handle much more. He walked down the hall, trying to determine where everyone was. The only noises he could hear were coming from downstairs, so he went ahead and headed down to join everyone else.

He chuckled at the sound of Cordelia and Doyle arguing in the kitchen before hearing Buffy's voice in the living room. He headed in that direction and found her sitting on the couch with one of the babies in her arms.

Immediately upon his entrance, Buffy looked up. She gave him a small smile. "Hi, Angel."

"Hey." He replied in a quiet voice before moving further into the room to stand a few feet away, awkwardly.

"Have a seat." She said, jerking her head to the spot next to her.

Angel obliged, looking more closely at the baby in her arms. It was the little boy, Matthew. He noticed Zoe was asleep in a baby seat at Buffy's feet.

"Matthew, this is Angel. I was just telling you about him." Buffy told her son.

Angel smiled down at the baby boy. He really could see Buffy in him. He had dark hair, presumably like his father, and big hazel eyes. Innocent, kind eyes that made you feel compelled to protect him. They also appeared to be fighting to stay open.

"He's perfect, Buffy." He told her in a soft voice.

Buffy looked up at him and smiled. "And he's trying really hard not to fall asleep, but failing. Speaking of, did you sleep well?"

Angel nodded. "Like a rock… you?"

"Oh… no. I haven't gotten to sleep for more than three hours at a time for the past three weeks." Buffy chuckled.

"That's terrible, Buffy. You can't keep going like this."

"I don't really have a choice, Angel. Babies are like that... and it's not like there's anyone else to go get them when they cry in the middle of the night."

Angel nodded sadly. How he wished he could be the one to do that for her… he wished he could be the one who was there for the three of them. They certainly did need someone to help.

Zoe began to cry and Buffy sighed tiredly. She got up and set Matthew in his baby seat next to Zoe's, hoping he would stay asleep. Buffy picked up her daughter and began bouncing her, hoping she wasn't hungry. She was out of bottles and still new to the breastfeeding thing, and *really* didn't want to do it in front of Angel. It was awkward enough in front of her own mother.

She lay the baby against her shoulder and rubbed her back gently, mentally reminding herself to pump more milk before they went to Giles'. The girl quieted and stared up at Angel with the same big hazel eyes as her brother. He couldn't help but smile down at her. He already adored both children.

Buffy saw the way he was looking at Zoe and debated asking him if he'd want to hold her. On one hand, the image of that was something she'd dreamed of for so long… but on the other she really shouldn't let him develop an emotional attachment to them.

Most likely against her better judgement, she gave him a small smile and asked, "Would you like to hold her?"

Angel was taken aback. "Oh.. I couldn't.. what if I hurt her?"

Buffy smiled. "Angel, she's not *that* fragile… besides, you're the most gentle man I know."

"You're sure?" He asked.

Buffy nodded and reached out to adjust his arm so he could cradle the baby. "Like that…" she said as she carefully placed Zoe in his arms. "There you go… see?"

Angel nodded, gazing down at the child in his arms in amazement. She was so small, soft and sweet smelling. She was Buffy's baby… which automatically made her precious.

Buffy smiled and tried to fight the tears that were welling in her eyes. It was so perfect… Angel and Zoe made the perfect picture in her eyes… all throughout her pregnancy she had fantasized about that very moment. Taking a deep breath, she forced herself to stop it. She shouldn't even think about it because it wouldn't happen... couldn't happen. Angel wasn't going to be a father to Zoe and Matthew. She couldn't change it so she might as well deal.


Since nobody was around to baby-sit, Buffy was forced to bring the twins along to Giles'. It was really their first 'Scooby Gang' meeting since she'd given birth, since Giles had tried to lighten her workload now that she had two new, very tiring responsibilities.

Even with the rather constant interruptions of crying to be held, fed, or changed, Giles managed the let everyone know his plan to defeat Valicar. It was basic; Buffy and Spike would interrupt him in the middle of his ritual, while his energy was a bit low from being so overexerted. They'd provide distraction from the ritual so that Angel could use his stealthy abilities to attempt to creep up behind him and stab him with a dagger in the small of his back. It was the only way to kill him and it had to be accurate.

The rest of the gang would be hidden elsewhere in the park to provide whatever help they could. Xander, Giles and Doyle would be ready with weapons to help in case Valicar grew too out of hand for the other three. Willow would have a spell book, prepared to attempt a spell to distract the demon if need be. Cordelia would stay at Buffy's to watch over the babies.

Once that was all settled, Xander and Spike set off to patrol, reassuring Buffy that they were still fine without her. Angel could see that she didn't sit well with the fact that since Giles had forced her to stop patrolling in the later stages of her pregnancy and still didn't feel she was ready. He knew exactly how obligated to her duty she was. It was part of the reason he loved her so.

Cordelia tried to persuade everyone else to go out for a late dinner, but Giles insisted he needed to get to bed- although nobody knew why a 'man of leisure' needed to be in bed by ten. Willow cited her presentation the next day as a reason she had to get back to her dorm. However, Buffy, Angel and Doyle had no valid excuses as far as Cordelia was concerned. The two males immediately gave in, far too familiar with Cordelia's insistence at getting her own way. Buffy told her that it would be bad for Matthew and Zoe to be out so later, but Cordelia insisted she was being paranoid. Reluctantly, Buffy gave in.


Buffy did have to admit she was having a good time. For some reason, Cordelia seemed more adult than her other friends, so Buffy felt she fit in more with the former May Queen, the half demon, and the vampire. It was nice.

Of course, having people stop by their table every five minutes to tell Buffy how adorable the twins were and what a lovely little family they made with she and Angel was a downside. Angel just felt awkward while it made Buffy nervous. Cordelia simply shot pointed looks at her every time.

Once they were done eating and about ready to go, Buffy decided she might as well change the twins, so she dragged them and Cordelia into the bathroom to help.

"Buffy will you ever *not* learn your lesson the hard way?" Cordelia asked as she held Matthew and watched her friend change Zoe.

"What are you talking about?" Buffy asked distractedly, wondering if she'd be able to get the twins to sleep right away. She could use whatever sleep she could get right then. Hopefully she could feed them as soon as they got home and then they'd go to sleep.

"I'm talking about you not telling the truth… you know it's going to come out and when it does if it's not from you Angel will be pissed… not to mention extremely hurt."

"I'm not lying to him!" Buffy insisted as she finished with Zoe and placed her back in her baby seat.

Cordelia handed her Matthew and sighed. "Fine, you're not lying. Angel, however, is going to flip out if he finds out from someone else that you aren't telling him the whole truth. And don't bother arguing because there is some truth that Angel is not aware of and you know it."

"I know..." Buffy replied sadly. "But he's not going to find out. Nobody will tell him. You guys promised. I know you and Willow won't betray my wishes… and Xander and Spike won't want to deal with him being around that much. *If* he would be around that much."

Cordelia shook her head as Buffy finished with Matthew and got him ready to go as well. "Whatever… it's your problem. Why do I even care?!"

Buffy smiled as she followed her friend out of the bathroom while Cordelia admonished herself for not being self-centered.


Buffy smiled down at her son as he hungrily fed from the bottle. Luckily, she'd had a chance to get a few bottles filled so she didn't have to hide from Angel. It was a very good thing, because she was really enjoying sitting in the living room, feeding the babies as he read a book.

Zoe had cried in the car until Buffy had handed Cordelia a bottle and gotten her to feed her. By the time Buffy pulled into the driveway, the baby was ready to be burped. She was now sleeping peacefully in the bassinet next to Angel.

It was so cozy, like the perfect little family. Buffy wanted to save this memory forever. She knew no man could ever fill the position she wished Angel was in. She loved him and only him and there would never be a man good enough to be her husband and a father to her kids. He had ruined her for any other man.

"How do you do it?"

Buffy looked up and realized Angel had closed the book and was watching her feed Matthew. "How do I feed him?"

"Yes… well, I know how you feed a baby, but how can you do it so often without being exhausted?" He asked.

Buffy chuckled. "Oh, I never said I wasn't exhausted… but I deal. Actually, the eating every three hours thing is an improvement. Zoe has always been like that, but Matthew would be hungry every half-hour for the first week or so. He just slowed down last week."

"You must have spent all the time they weren't eating washing bottles!" Angel replied, amazed.

"Nah, I just breastfed." Buffy told him without thinking, then blushed. "I..um… still do in the middle of the night now when I'm too tired to come down for a bottle, but generally it's easier and lot less embarrassing to bottle-feed."

"Why would you be embarrassed? Nurturing your child is a natural thing… I bet it's beautiful." Angel answered honestly.

"Really? You don't think it would make people around me uncomfortable?"

"Of course not… if you did it in front of me, I'd probably be enraptured." He reassured then grew embarrassed by what he'd said. "Not that I'm saying I want you to… you know, to see you topless or anything… because I would think you'd cover up with a blanket…"

Buffy grinned at his self-consciousness. "It's okay, Angel… I know what you meant."

"Good." He replied quietly, averting his eyes from hers.


Angel stood nervously about 20 feet behind Valicar. Buffy and Spike were due to race up behind him and begin the attack in thirty seconds. He could see them crouched behind some bushes, as was he, about thirty feet to his left.

Exactly half a minute later, the two of them jumped up and raced over to the demon. As planned, Buffy would first get his attention so that Spike could begin the assault.

"Didn't anyone tell you, chanting in the park is strictly prohibited after five?" She quipped, getting the demon to turn and face her as Spike rammed into him from behind, knocking him to the ground, face first. He used his body's weight to try to keep the demon down as Buffy moved to sit on him as well. They hoped maybe he was weak enough that they could just hold him down while Angel stabbed him.

However, Valicar had other plans. He raised one hand and swatted Buffy away with easy before she'd even had a chance to get on top of him. She ended up on her ass five feet away as the demon bucked Spike off. The vampire immediately rushed at him, only to be grabbed by the throat and thrown ten feet, landing in the grass beside the platform and being knocked unconscious in the process.

Valicar turned to Buffy, who was slowly recovering. She stood up weakly, trying to prepare herself to battle the demon. He stood before her, his eyes turning an unearthly shade of red.

Angel saw his chance; Valicar was totally focused on Buffy. He had to act fast, he knew. The demon was far too close to Buffy for his taste. If Angel was too late getting to her or wasn't precise… she might be killed.

With the demon advancing slowly upon her, Buffy moved back, as if too scared to run. In actuality, she saw Angel running up behind Valicar. He was so close… when he was right behind Valicar; he drew his arm back, intent on delivering the fatal blow.

Unfortunately, the demon sensed the attack and turned and slammed his fist into the side of Angel's face, making him fall to the ground on his stomach.

"Angel!" Buffy screamed, in fear as she watched her lover lying apparently unconscious with Valicar hovering over him.

Valicar turned his attention back to her and appeared to cackle before again stepping towards her. He grabbed her around the throat and lifted her from the ground.

Angel turned over onto his back and saw Valicar strangling Buffy. He knew that Doyle, Giles and Xander were on their way, but it would be too late. He grabbed the dagger from where it had fallen a few feet away and stabbed Valicar in his lower back.

The demon screamed loudly, arching his body in pain and shock. Dropping Buffy, he fell to the ground himself. Soon after, the three other males met them on the platform. As Xander made sure Buffy was all right and Doyle checked on Angel, Giles made sure Valicar was dead.

"Bloody prick! Is he dead or do I need to beat the living shit out of him?!" Spike growled as he joined them.

"He'd dead… but feel free to take out your aggressions on his body." Giles replied.

Buffy smiled up at the blonde vampire. "You okay?"

"I've been better." Spike replied, rubbing his sore neck.

"Angel?" Buffy asked, looking worriedly at her former lover.

"I'll be fine, Buffy. Did he hurt you? I knew it was too soon for you to be doing this!"

"Angel, I'm okay, don't worry!" She assured him as Xander helped her up.

Angel stood as well, feeling good as new.

"Whaddya say we all go get drunk?" Doyle suggested.

"I'd rather go home and make sure Cordelia didn't do anything freaky to my kids. I'm terrified she painted Matthew's nails black because it's 'in'." Buffy replied.

"I have an early morning. I'm doing a lecture at the museum at nine." Giles informed them.

"I have a class at eight. Besides, I'm only nineteen." Willow replied as she studied a nasty looking bruise on Buffy's neck.

"I'm only nineteen, but that won't stop me!" Xander replied gleefully.

"Angel, if you say you can't I'll know you are completely pussy-whipped!" Spike barked at his sire.

"Just because a man doesn't want to go get drunk does not make him whipped. Drinking isn't everything." Angel reasoned.

"Angel, man, we're not going to let you go home and brood tonight." Doyle told his boss.

Buffy smiled. "Angel, I'd just go with them to shut them up."


"This is nice." Angel commented as he chugged down his whiskey. "Although, Buffy's nicer. All soft, firm, pretty, sweet, and she smells good. I love Buffy."

"No shit Sherlock!" Spike replied.

Xander and Doyle just laughed at the two of them. Everything was so funny.

They'd been at Willy's for several hours. Even the vampires were starting to leave. Willy sure hoped they remembered vampires couldn't go out in the sun because he sure as hell wasn't going to put up with them all day and he didn't relish calling the slayer to get her to drag them out of there.

"You know what? Spike… tell me the name of the guy who fucked my Buffy. Tell me his name!" Angel demanded suddenly.

"What for? It's not like you've got the bollocks to do anything! Besides, it's been nearly a year, why do you care now?" Spike asked as he chugged his drink.

"Because look what he did to my Buffy! He dumped her and now she's all alone with Zoe and Matthew." Angel explained. "And Zoe and Matthew... They got no daddy."

"What does that have to do with anything?!" Spike asked.

"Because he has a duty… if they were my babies I'd be there helpin' Buffy! Hell, they aren't mine and I still wanna be there helpin' Buffy!"

"You fucking idiot!" Spike shouted as he laughed.

Angel frowned. "Wha?"

"They *are* your babies!" Spike explained.

"What are you talkin' 'bout?"

"Schlayer don't want ya to know… but you are the daddy! You! We were supposed to keep it secret." Spike informed him. "Oops."

Angel sobered up a bit as he soaked up what Spike had told him. *He* was the father? Buffy didn't want him to know?

He stood up from the table abruptly and stomped out the door. He had to talk to Buffy.


Buffy was shutting the door to the nursery when she heard the front door close. She shook her head; it was nearing three in the morning… about time they got home. Deciding just to head back to her bed and get some sleep while she could instead of socialize, she opened her bedroom door. When she started to shut it behind her but was stopped by Angel putting his hand firmly on the door, she gasped.

"Angel! You scared me." She smiled up at him. However, when she saw the cold angry look on his face, the smile quickly faded. "Angel, what's wrong?"

"I need to talk to you." He spoke in a low, controlled voice.

Buffy swallowed, he was freaking her out. She let him come into the room and close the door behind him. He walked in and stopped, facing the window.

"You lied to me." He finally said.

"What?" She asked.

He turned and glared at her. "You *lied* to me! You told me they were some other guy's kids! You denied me my children!"

Buffy was in shock. "W-who told you that?"

"What does it matter, Buffy?! It should have been *you*! The other night when you showed me them you should have told me you were introducing me to my children!" He shouted, not caring about keeping his voice down. "Actually, you should have called me, or come to see me when you found out you were pregnant!"

"You didn't want to see me! Did you forget how you told me you didn't want to be in my life because you wanted more for me?! Well, the things you can't give me you can't give them, so why should I have gone to see you and let myself get my hopes up?!" She asked as she felt tears welling in her eyes.

"This is different and you know it! Zoe and Matthew change everything!" He yelled at her, trying not to let the tears streaming down her face soften his anger. "How dare you steal all that from me! You didn't even give me a chance! I didn't get to help you when you were pregnant! I didn't get to feel them kick when they were inside you! I didn't get to be there when they were born… when you brought them home from the hospital! You stole it all from me!"

Buffy began to sob, hating herself more and more. "I'm sorry, Angel! I'm so sorry! I was trying to do right, I was! I'm just… sorry!"

"No!" Angel screamed. "Don't tell me you're sorry! I don't want to hear that now!"

"Then what do you want to hear?" She asked in a small voice, still sobbing.

"Reasons, Buffy! Give me reasons why you decided that I should be deprived of my children! Was it to punish me for trying to do the right thing for you?"

Buffy shook her head. "I thought… that it would be better if you didn't know… then you wouldn't feel guilty for not being there for them because I didn't think you'd want to be in their lives. You don't want to stay young while I get old… I figured you wouldn't want to see your own kids die someday! And I was scared that even if you were in their lives you might change your mind and leave someday! I didn't want things to be hard on you… and I didn't want to break their hearts or my own!"

He grabbed her by her forearms and shook her. "You can't do that! You can't make decisions like that on your own. It's not fair to me! You can't just say that you know how I'm going to leave you so you take my kids away from me!"

"And what if you get happy Angel?! What if Zoe's first word is 'Daddy'? What if you see Matthew take his first steps and you just feel so happy? You turn into a monster and I will *not* put my kids at risk!" She shouted back at him and continued to cry. She could see that her words sparked a realization that she had a point deep inside him and he tightened his grip on her. "Ow… you're hurting me!"

Angel released her and turned away, running his hand through his hair as he tried to form a rational thought. "You betrayed me." He accused as he turned and faced her. "Buffy I fell in love with you because you are good and kind and honest and you *lied* to me! You tried to steal my own flesh and blood from me. I can't just say that this is okay!"

"Then why don't you go back to your room so you can cool off, get some sleep and calmly discuss this with Buffy tomorrow?" Cordelia suggested from where she stood in the doorway.

Buffy and Angel both looked over at her in surprise. Angel's shouting must have awakened her. He nodded in agreement, as Buffy tried to stop the tears from spilling down her cheeks.

After Angel silently left, Cordelia quietly shut the door and hugged Buffy, leading her to the bed so they could sit down.

"Are you okay?" She asked as she took a tissue and dabbed Buffy's cheeks with it.

Buffy shook her head. "I really fucked up! I know you told me over and over he'd be furious… but I just never imagined he'd really find out."

"It'll be okay." Cordelia reassured her friend as she wrapped an arm around her and rocked her slowly back and forth.

"No, it's not!" She continued to cry. "Angel hates me!"

"Buffy, Angel's really mad at you, but he doesn't hate you… it's not possible." Cordelia replied.

Buffy hoped she was right. If Cordelia was wrong… she wasn't sure she could live with herself.


Buffy thought she might die. She'd never been so tired in her life. Cordelia had sat up with her talking, providing comfort and just letting her cry for several hours. In fact, she'd fallen asleep in Buffy's bed.

Just as Buffy had fallen asleep, Matthew had awoken and she'd had to feed him. Once she had him back asleep, Zoe had awakened. It was almost seven before she got back to bed. Then they'd both woken up at ten, extremely fussy and showing no intent to go back to sleep anytime soon. It was only noon and Buffy had no idea how she would be able to make it through the day.

Add to that the fact that she knew she'd have to deal with Angel later and she was a complete mess. She was tired, stressed to the max and feeling more guilty than ever. All she wanted was to curl up in bed and sleep, but she had the feeling that was the last thing she'd get.

Luckily for her, Cordelia had other plans. She came into the nursery as Buffy paced the room with a crying Zoe in her arms.

"Guess what?!" Cordelia squealed.

"What?" Buffy asked, without enthusiasm.

"I got a table for two at Renaldi's tonight at 8!"

"That's nice… you and Doyle will love it."

"Oh, please! Like I'd take a slob like *him* there! I made the reservation for you and Angel." Cordelia replied.

Buffy stopped and looked at her in surprise. "You did? Well.. that's sweet and all, but they don't like it when you bring babies in there Cordy."

"I know that! But don't worry... Doyle and I will baby-sit!"

"You're volunteering to baby-sit?" Buffy asked incredulously. "Is the apocolypse coming?"

Cordelia sighed. "On occasion I am known for my good deeds!"

"You seriously don't mind?" Buffy asked.

"Nah… I like Zoe and Matty… they haven't even spewed on me ever!"

Buffy smiled and bit her lip. "You won't let Doyle give them beer or anything, will you?"

"Oh please! Buffy, Doyle taught third grade... He's good with kids." Cordelia informed her friend proudly. "Now, I will take care of Zoe and Matthew. You look really bad! Get some rest."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I just checked and there's a bunch of bottles in the fridge. You can… do that icky thing again before you guys go out so they have enough for tonight." Cordelia assured her friend, cradling Zoe in her arms as she half pushed her friend out of the nursery.

Buffy stopped in the doorway and turned to her friend, uncertainty on her face. "Are you sure he'll agree to go?"

"Of course!" Cordelia replied. "In fact, he already agreed to it."

"He did?" Buffy asked, truly surprised.

Cordelia nodded and smiled.

Buffy smiled back at her then headed off to bed, feeling a little bit better… his agreement to dinner with her certainly showed Buffy he was interested in letting her make amends.

She'd do anything to earn his love back. She just hoped it was possible.


Promptly at half past seven, Angel stood by the door, dressed and ready to go. Buffy rushed down the stairs, having just finished getting ready. Cordelia had let her sleep until six, so it had been a rush to fix some bottles for the babies and get all dressed up in time. Luckily the twins were sleeping, so Cordelia could help- all the while complaining that if she ever had kids she better be able to fit in tight fitting dress she'd worn before she got pregnant.

Looking how Cordelia called "suitable," Buffy met Angel at the door. She hadn't seen him all day, so she had no idea what to expect from him.

"Are you ready?" He asked, keeping his voice emotionless.

Buffy nodded. "As I'll ever be."

Angel opened the door for her. With a grateful nod, she walked through the door and out into the cool night. Silently, he led her out to his car, letting her in the passenger side before getting in the driver's seat.

Ten minutes later and halfway to the restaurant, neither of them had yet to speak. All the quiet was getting to Buffy, so she tried to start a conversation.

"You look really nice." She told him quietly.

"Thanks," he replied gruffly. Apparently, that was all he had to say.

Buffy sighed and looked out the window. What had she been thinking? He could barely speak to her, wouldn't look at her... how on Earth would they ever be able to make this work?


"I've never been here before, but I heard it's good." Buffy commented as they read their menus in the extravagant restaurant.

"Oh." Angel replied dully from behind his menu.

Buffy shook her head, annoyed. She knew she'd made a horrible mistake, and Angel had every right to be angry… but then why did he agree to go out to dinner with her so they could talk only to give her the silent treatment?

Buffy made her selection and laid the menu down on the table in front of her, moving her eyes around the room, studiously avoiding Angel. A few moments later, Angel put his menu down as well.

The waiter immediately approached him. "Are you both ready to order?"

"Yes, I'd like the Fricassee De Poulet a la Poitevine." Angel told him.

The waiter jotted it down and looked expectantly at Buffy.

"I'll have the Classic Cassoulet, please."

"As you wish Mademoiselle." The waiter replied, taking their menus and leaving.

Buffy turned her head and looked out the window. It was a seaside restaurant and they had a great view of the boats in the ocean. After several moments, however, she got bored.

She turned her head back to face her companion. Angel was busy staring at all the other restaurant patrons.

"Do you want to just go?" She asked defeatedly.

He looked at her with surprise. "Why would we do that?"

Buffy sighed. "Because, we came here so that we could talk… we're not talking. I've tried several times to talk to you but…"

"Well, excuse me if I don't want to talk about how nice this restaurant is or how you like the way I dressed. I have bigger things on my mind. Like the fact that I've been a father for some time now and I didn't even know it!"

"I'm sorry, okay? I screwed up big time."

"Well, you're right about that." He told her, shaking his head in anger.

"Yes, I made a *mistake*. I'm human and I regret not telling you so much, you wouldn't believe it. Do you think I liked keeping it a secret? Do you think I haven't felt so incredibly guilty since the day I found out? Every time I look into your eyes I feel awful… every time I look at one of my babies and know that because of me they have no father… and it tears me up inside, but I thought I was doing the right thing!"

"How can that be the right thing? For them not to have a father... Buffy last year when I was human... It was a one-time thing! It's never going to happen again… I'll never get another chance at being a father. How could you not let me decide if I wanted to take this chance?!"

"Because… look at your life, Angel. Not exactly kid-friendly, and I wasn't totally sure that you wouldn't tell me that you didn't want me to just go home so that you could pretend that it didn't happen… that *they* didn't happen. I was so scared and alone… you have no idea. So, I wanted to be able to remember you how I'd always known you… loving and caring and unselfish. I wanted to be able to tell our kids that you were like that, but if I went to you and told you I was pregnant and you told me that you didn't want to be in our lives… I couldn't lie to them like that. So, I know what I did was wrong, Angel... But I did have my reasons."

Angel seemed taken aback. He knew he did have a right to feel angry… but it wasn't as if she had purposely tried to punish him. She'd suffered throughout the whole pregnancy. She hadn't made the best choices... but the same could be said for him.

"I know you had reasons. But you lied Buffy… I just can't believe you could lie to me about something like that. Now, we have a never-ending bond… an actual one this time… not just love. We have Zoe and Matthew. So we have to have a relationship as their parents. We can't lie to each other Buffy."

Buffy nodded. "I know… I promise that from now on I'll tell you the whole truth always. And I know I have to re-earn your trust. Just... give me a chance?"

Angel nodded, then gave her a small smile and held out his hand to her over the table. "We'll shake on it."

Buffy returned the smile as she shook his hand.


"Are you sure you're not too tired?" Angel asked as they walked along the shore.

Buffy shook her head as she inhaled the salty smell of the ocean. "I'm fine. Cordelia let me get eight whole hours of sleep today… straight! It's been months since I slept so well."

"Really? Why didn't you get to sleep well before the twins were born?"

"Because they never both slept at the same time. By the time I was seven months along I was always getting kicked or one of them had hiccups or I had muscle cramps."

"Sounds pretty bad." Angel remarked.

Buffy shrugged. "It had it's sucky moments… and it's good ones… but I really don't feel right talking to you about it."

"Why?" Angel asked in confusion.

"Because… I feel like if I tell you about how I had sore ankles or whatever… you might feel bad for not being there even though I didn't let you… because I know how you are with the guilt." She told him with a wry smile. "I don't want to tell you about the things that made me feel so happy… because I didn't let you be there to share those moments with you. I don't want to rub in your face what I stole from you."

Slowly, Angel reached down and took her small hand in his. "Will you tell me what it was like when you carried our children so I can imagine I was there… smiling when you smiled… rubbing your feet when they hurt… sharing it all with you?"

Buffy beamed up at him as she felt a happiness grow inside her. Things might not be so bad after all.


It was half past eleven before the came in the door, fearing mayhem after leaving Cordelia and Doyle alone to feed the children and get them to bed. However, everything seemed in place as they wandered through the foyer and into the living room… and found Cordelia and Doyle on the couch... having sex.

"Doyle!" Angel shouted in surprise

"Cordy?!" Buffy asked loudly in disbelief.

"Oh god!" Cordelia shrieked, shoving Doyle off her and yanking the hem of her skirt back down.

Red faced, Doyle tried to discreetly tuck his raging erection back into his pants as a piercing cry sounded out.

Buffy moved over to the two bassinets sitting side by side near the couch and found Matthew sleeping in one, and Zoe now crying in the other.

Picking up her daughter and trying to calm her down, Buffy turned and gave Cordelia a dirty look. "You not only had sex on my couch, but in front of my kids?!"

"Well… it's not like they could see us!" Cordelia replied, not really having a better reply.

"We got caught up in the moment?" Doyle asked feebly.

"You're sick." Angel told them, shaking his head.

"Angel, would you help me take the babies to bed?" Buffy asked.

Angel eagerly moved over to Matthew's bassinet and carefully picked him up and cradled him in his arms, following Buffy's nod of encouragement as she gently rubbed Zoe on her back as she stopped crying and started to fall back asleep against her mother's chest.

The two of them walked out of the room, shooting dirty looks at Cordelia and Doyle. They took the babies to their nursery and put them in their cribs, smiling peacefully down at them as they slept.

Once they were out of the room, Buffy got an idea. Taking Angel's hand, she told him "There's something I'd like to show you."

Angel raised an eyebrow. "Last time you said that, you showed me you had twins... You're going to give me a heart condition… and mine doesn't beat."

Buffy laughed. "This isn't that shocking, I promise."

"Okay." He replied and let her lead him to her bedroom.

She directed him to sit on the foot of her bed as she popped a tape in her VCR. "Xander made this for me as a sort of gift."

Intrigued, Angel watched as the tape began to play. He saw Buffy sitting on Giles' couch, obviously very pregnant. She waved at the camera as he could hear Xander directing as he filmed. Angel watched in amazement as Xander zoomed in on her belly, making cracks about what the babies were saying.

It turned out that they were at Buffy's baby shower. She had already found out she was having a boy and girl, so he saw her open gift after gift with pink and blue items. He was surprised to see Cordelia had been present. She'd actually managed to keep it completely secret from him.

The video then cut to Buffy in the hospital. She looked a bit scared, but otherwise okay, at first. Xander cut off an on throughout the process, each time Buffy looked a bit more pale and tired. At one point, she was screaming at everyone and Angel couldn't help but chuckle.

Buffy smacked him playfully in the arm. "I was in *incredible* pain!"

"I'm sorry." He replied, still laughing.

Then they showed Zoe being held up by the doctor, immediately after being born. Buffy held her only for a moment before they took her away. Matthew was coming.

A few moments later, he watched his son take his first breath in the world. It was a good thing Angel didn't need to breathe himself or he might have had a problem.

Finally, he saw Buffy holding both sleeping babies and talking to Xander on camera. The tape ended and they sat in silence, just holding hands for a moment.

"Thank you." He finally said quietly.

"You liked it?" She asked. "I thought it might be nice… since you had to miss it. I know it's not the same but it's something."

"It was wonderful." He told her.


Angel awoke at four in the morning and found he couldn't go back to sleep. He decided to read, but his book was left in the living room. He got out of bed and headed out of his room to retrieve the tome.

He noticed the nursery light was on and couldn't resist an opportunity to see the twin. He couldn't get enough of them. He opened the door and stuck his head in the room, startling Buffy as she breastfed Matthew.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." Angel apologized. Seeing what she was doing, he looked down at the floor. "Did you want me to leave you alone?"

Remembering what he said earlier, Buffy shook her head. "That's okay… I'd like the company."

When they'd decorated the nursery, Joyce had decided two rocking chairs looked cute. Buffy had thought it was a bit silly since most of the time she was the one caring for the babies and she didn't need two chairs, but it did come in handy now. Angel sat down and gazed in amazement as his child fed from Buffy. He still couldn't believe he had fathered children with *Buffy*. As far as he was concerned she was a goddess… and any man whose child she bore was extremely lucky.

They sat and talked quietly until Matthew was done feeding. By the time he was full, Zoe woke up, so Buffy handed Matthew to Angel so he could burp him. Buffy couldn't have been happier. It was almost as though they *were* the happy little family.


Over the next two days, Angel and Buffy practically spent almost every waking moment together. When they weren't taking care of the twins there were talking. They'd talk about the babies or a demon they'd faced… or anything. They just loved being together. Buffy wished they could all go out for a walk one afternoon... But she'd prefer not to have to bring a little baggy for Angel's ashes. She didn't dare tell him, though... It would only hurt him.

As much as they ignored the fact that Angel needed to get back to his business in LA soon… they had to face reality. And reality's name was Joyce.


"Really, Buffy, I can't believe you told him!"

"I didn't tell him, Mom, somebody else did. And I'm glad that they told him. He had a right to know. Besides, he's here for the babies! They can have a father now!"

"Oh Buffy… what kind of father will he make? He can't take them to the park or the beach… he won't ever even age!" Joyce sighed as she sliced carrots for a salad.

"I know that, Mom. But he loves them. So he's not like most dads... he's better." Buffy replied as she fed Matthew.

Joyce shook her head in disapproval. "So now he's going to start helping you with everything? He'll get up in the middle of the night, he'll change diapers, he'll pay for them to go to the doctor?"

Buffy nodded. "Even if I didn't want him to, he insists."

"He does, does he?" Joyce asked, quirking her eyebrow. "And how does he intend to pay for two infants? Good looks?"

"He has a job, remember? He runs a detective agency." Buffy answered, getting exasperated. Ever since her mother had gotten home the night before and seen Angel and Buffy playing with the twins in the living room she'd been none too pleased.

"Really? How does he manage to run a detective agency in Los Angeles from here?"

"Well, that's why Cordelia and Doyle left this morning.. they're going to go take care of business… Angel will go back later."

"When, Buffy? He can't stay here forever if he intends to earn a living for my grandchildren."

"I was planning on discussing our living arrangements with Buffy tonight." Angel informed Joyce from where he stood in the kitchen doorway.

Joyce looked at him in surprise. "You startled me."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to." Angel told her as he took a seat beside Buffy at the kitchen table.

"I know you both think I am an evil witch, but the fact is you two don't appear to be having any responsible notions. Now you have two children… you need to think about how you are going to raise them."

Angel nodded. "That's a very good point. It's just that things have been a bit whirlwind lately. I just found out that I am a father three days ago. I needed to get to know my children."

Joyce sighed. "That's fine, Angel. I just want to make sure that my daughter and grandchildren are well taken care of."

"I want the same thing." Angel replied.

"Good… because I know when it comes to you, Buffy does not always make the wisest decisions. I just want to make sure *someone* puts her well being first."

Buffy shot her mother a dirty look. She was so tired of hearing about how crazy she got around Angel, how she used her hormones instead of a brain… how Angel was just plain bad. Ever since she'd told her mother she was pregnant just after Valentine's Day she'd had to endure every lecture in the book.

"Angel, why don't we take this fine opportunity to go *elsewhere* and talk." Buffy suggested.

Smiling obligingly, Angel helped her stand. The two of them moved to the living room. After they'd settled on the couch, Angel decided to begin.

"Okay, here's how it is. I really *have* to be in LA. Your mother is right… I need to be able to support the twins and you. My business is there… if I come back here I have no way to support you guys. But I don't want to be away from the three of you. I know it's a lot to ask, but do you think you could possibly come back to LA with me?"

Buffy was taken aback. "I… I don't know, Angel. I mean… I love you and the twins more than anything… but my whole support group is here. My mom… Giles is like a father to me… and what about slaying?"

"Well, Spike and Xander seem to have it under control. And you'd only be two hours away so if something big happened you could just come back here to help. Same with visiting them." Angel suggested. "I know I am probably being incredibly selfish, asking the three of you to just leave your lives. If I thought I could run my business successfully here, I would move here without a second thought. But I can't and you know it."

Buffy nodded. "I know that… this would just be… a huge change."

"How about if you come back with me for a week or so… we can see how it goes… and then you can decide. If you hate it and want to come home, I won't fight you... I'll just make do with visiting you guys as much as possible."

"That sounds very fair." She replied, giving him a smile. "When are we leaving?"

Angel contemplated it. "Would tomorrow night be too soon?"

"I think I could manage that." She told him before getting up. Matthew was almost done feeding so she was heading up to the nursery to put him to bed and start packing.

Angel quickly got on his cell phone to call Doyle. He had some work for him to do.


Angel nervously unlocked the door to the agency, while carrying Zoe in her baby seat as Buffy stood behind him with Matthew in his seat as well as the diaper bag and a suitcase. What if she hated the place? It was so dark and dreary… babies like light, happy rooms.

He opened the door and moved back so that Buffy could pass him. She walked inside and looked around the darkened office as Angel picked up the other suitcase. He quickly set it down in front of Cordelia's desk and turned on the lights, looking at Buffy for a reaction.

"You hate it, don't you? You think it will make the babies sick or something? We can remodel!" He exclaimed.

Buffy laughed. "Angel, calm down… I really like it. It's totally you."

"Me? Me is bad. I'm dark, broody… not like a baby."

"Well, that's true, but I think your office should be you… not Matthew and Zoe."

"Okay." He replied, calming down. He'd just didn't want her to hate the place immediately and want to leave. "Want to see the apartment?"

"Sure." Buffy replied. "Are you sure you have an area for the bassinet?"

"It's taken care of." He replied vaguely. "Let's just leave the suitcases up here for now."

"Okay." She replied, putting the suitcase down and following him into the elevator.


Angel bit his lip and waited for her response to the apartment. Buffy broke out in a grin.

"Angel, this is great!" She told him as she saw the spotless small kitchen, a small table, the living area with a leather couch and recliner and a few doors that were presumable bedrooms and a bathroom.

"Um… I had Doyle do a little shopping yesterday." He told her as he set Zoe in her seat down on the coffee table. "I want to show you."

Buffy set Matthew down beside his sister and followed Angel over to one of the doors. He opened the door and turned on the light, finding the small room exactly as he envisioned. Two cribs, two rocking chairs, a changing table and dresser.

"Oh wow." She exclaimed.

"Do you like it?" He asked anxiously. "I tried to get furniture with the a similar design as the one you got them. I know the room is not decorated, but I figured we could both do that together. You are repulsed, aren't you?!"

"Angel, calm down. I'm not going to run away screaming. Even if I hated this place… which I don't. You really got all this for us? That's so sweet!"

'Well… you three are everything to me." He smiled.


Two hours later both babies were sleeping peacefully, Angel and Buffy were sitting peacefully on the couch. Buffy decided to let her mom know they were doing okay so she called while Angel went through his mail.

All too soon, it was bedtime. Angel didn't even realize the problem until then.

"Um… you can take the bed and I'll take the couch if you want." He said.

"You don't want to sleep in the bed with me?" She asked, wondering if he found her disgusting now that she was a mother. Or it could be the whole soul issue, she reminded herself.

"If you don't mind… then I don't mind… it's not like we won't just… sleep."

"Right! Exactly." Buffy replied. They hadn't even kissed, they weren't going to just lose themselves and have sex.

Gingerly, the both crawled into bed and turned out the lights.

"Night, Angel."

"Goodnight Buffy."

After laying there stiffly to avoid touching for a while, they both relaxed enough to sleep.


The next few days flew by smoothly. At night, they relaxed a lot more, even daring to sometimes cuddle in sleep. Often times, Angel would get up when one of the babies cried in the middle of the night. The extra help worked wonders on Buffy. She was much better rested than she'd been in the month since they were born.

Angel decided it was time Buffy knew the whole story. He could see their relationship was building up to her need to know the truth, so he might as well tell her. Any apprehensions he'd had before were gone. He'd started to kiss her on occasion and she's responded positively, so he knew she still had those feelings for him.

One evening after Cordelia and Doyle had left the office; Angel came downstairs and found Buffy at the kitchen table reading the newspaper. Apparently, the babies were sleeping. He came up behind her and bent so he could wrap his arms around her waist and kiss the back of her neck.

Buffy smiled and arched back against him. He moved one hand up to turn her face so he could kiss her on the lips. Slowly, he moved his hands to her breasts, more full with her motherhood. He squeezed them gently, making her arch back even further against him.

Breaking his mouth apart from hers, he asked, "I know that usually it takes four to six weeks to get. back to normal… it's only been not quite five weeks… is it too soon?"

"I'll be fine." Buffy replied in a husky voice. She realized what she was saying and pulled away. "Oh God. Angel, we can't do this! "Oh God, we came so close!"

Angel chuckled. "Don't worry, Buffy, we can do this."

"No, we can't. Remember the whole soul-losing thing?!"

"Buffy, it's not a problem now… I found out right after you left last year that when I broke the Gem of Amara it's power was transferred into me."

"What?" Buffy asked, dumbfounded.

"I can make love to you… I can do anything that makes me happy and I won't lose my soul. I'm invincible… I can go out in the sun." He told her, smiling as he expected her to be ecstatic.

Buffy looked at him in shock, covering her mouth. "How could you do that?"

"What?" He asked her, completely confused.

"You lied to me! After how you had been so furious at me for lying to you... The whole time you yourself were lying!"

"Buffy, come on… I think lying about giving birth to my children was a much bigger deal."

"I know, but you went on and on about how if we are going to have a relationship we can't lie and you were lying right then!"

"I couldn't tell you! If I had told you then you would have come back and I couldn't have gotten you to leave and have your normal life. Now things are just too… much for us to separate. I decided it would be okay for you to know."

"Oh, gee, thanks Angel. I'm so glad you *decided* I'd be able to take it. Lord knows I'm too incompetent on my own." She hissed, trying not to wake the babies.

"Buffy, please don't take it that way." He pleaded.

Buffy shook her head. "I need time to think. Will you stay with the kids so I can go somewhere?"

"Buffy, please stay here and talk to me." He pleaded.

"I have to get my head straight first." She replied, shaking her head.

Sighing, Angel nodded. "Just *please* be careful."

She gave him a small smile and headed for the elevator. When she was out of eyesight, Angel flopped down on the couch and ran his hands through his hair.

What had he done?


Half an hour later, Angel heard the elevator again and watched it praying it was Buffy. He was terrified what might happen. Hopefully she wouldn't hurt herself. Although, Angel figured she wouldn't do anything too drastic- she'd never want to make the babies suffer. However, she could very possibly… and likely would… take the twins back to Sunnydale.

His prayers were answered when the elevator door opened to reveal an unharmed looking Buffy. She walked out, appearing much calmer.

"I don't like what you did. I see why you did it, although I don't agree with why you did it... But I'm forgetting about it. First, I love you even if you are rather chauvinistic at times when it comes to protecting me from myself. Second... now I know you can finally love me… fully. And I really need that right now... so why waste a second of it?"

Angel smiled and walked over to her. She wrapped her arms around his neck as he wrapped his around her waist and dipped his head down to kiss her deeply.

Then Matthew began to cry.

Groaning, the couple pulled apart. Buffy glanced at her watch.

"It's feeding time. Zoe will wake up soon too." She informed him.

"You feed Matthew… I'll get a bottle ready for her."


"Is she asleep?" Buffy whispered as Angel lay their daughter in her crib.

"Sound." He replied with a smile as he shut the door to the babies' bedroom.

"Oh goodie." She grinned, wrapping her arms around her neck and pulling his head down for a kiss.

He placed his hands on her waist and lifted her so he could carry her to the bed. Once there, he gently laid her down, then stood back so he could look at his lover. She was beautiful, her long blonde hair lying in contrast to the black of the comforter, her lips swollen from their passionate kisses, her skin glowing in desire.

She held her arms up, beckoning him to join her. As usual, he could not deny her, so he quickly climbed on top of her on the bed, their mouths once against melding together.

Their hands discovered every inch of each other's bodies, stroking, squeezing, caressing as they unzipped, unbuttoned and tugged clothing off. Once they were both nude, Angel slowed them down a bit, placing soft kisses on the side of Buffy's throat and jaw. He placed his forehead against hers and looked her in the eyes.

"Are you sure?"

Buffy nodded. "I want you, Angel."

Slowly, he entered her, still afraid he might hurt her so soon after the babies but she appeared to be in no pain. When he'd completely filled her, he lay still for a moment, kissing her tenderly.

Feeling urgency deep inside her womb, Buffy bucked her hips up, urging him deeper inside her. He answered her need, thrusting slowly in and out of her body. Buffy arched her back, thrusting her breasts towards him.

Angel dipped his head down and nibbled her neck as he slammed in and out of her. He would pull almost entirely out of her before filling her again. When Angel's hand slid between their two bodies and manipulated her tender nubbin, her body exploded in orgasm. She had to bite her lip in order not to cry out loudly.

Angel had never seen anything so beautiful as Buffy climaxing. It was not the first time he had done so, and every time it amazed him. A few more thrusts and he was spilling himself deep inside her.

As he came down from his orgasm, Angel pulled Buffy against his chest and rolled them so he way lying on his back with atop him, as their lower bodies were still connected.

They lay their for a while, relishing the closeness, before Angel remembered something. Turning, he reached into the nightstand drawer and withdrew a small box.

"I know you lost your last one right before I came back the first time… so I thought you might like another." He told her as he opened the box and revealed a silver claddaugh ring.

Buffy looked into his eyes and saw uncertainty. She smiled and kissed him softly. "Thank you."

He grinned and took it out of the box. "Before I give it to you this time, there's something else you should know… in case you didn't guess. I never had a chance to tell you before… but the claddaugh is an Irish wedding band. So, if you wear this then it means that we're wed."

Buffy broke into a grin. "Angel, you don't think Willow looked into it for me? Besides, ring or no ring, we've been wed for nearly three years."

His dead heart full of joy, Angel slipped the band on her finger, to match the ring on his and kissed his wife deeply.


"Angel, I'm so glad to see you're home! I needed your help two weeks ago, but Doyle said you were out of town." Kate said as she breezed into Angel's office. She froze when she saw a bassinet next to Angel's desk. Peering inside, she saw a tiny baby boy in it. "Oh my, who is this Angel?"

Angel grinned proudly. "It's my son, Matthew."

"You have a son? You never told me that!" Kate replied in shock. Sure, Angel had never really opened up and had acted as he wanted her to back away... But she'd known him for almost a year and he hadn't bothered to mention he'd gotten someone pregnant. Judging by the size of the baby, he was a newborn. "Were you with his mother out of town?"

"Yeah, actually she's…" he began, but was interrupted by Buffy entering the office with Zoe in her arms.

"Hi Honey, we're all ready to go!" Buffy announced, her cheeks still glowing from the revelations of the night before. Seeing Kate standing there, she smiled at her. "Sorry… did I interrupt?"

"Not really, we were just talking about you." Angel replied, taking Zoe from Buffy. She looked adorable in her little sunsuit that matched Matthew's, only it was for a girl. "Kate, this is my daughter, Zoe, and my wife, Buffy."

"Wife?" Kate replied, dumbfounded.

"Yup." Buffy replied, grinning. She loved hearing Angel say that.

"We were just going to go take an afternoon trip to the park. Did you have something important to see me about?" Angel asked as Buffy strapped a baby carrier to his chest and put Zoe in it.

"Oh… no… I was just saying hi." Kate told them. "And now I'll go."

"Okay… see you later." He waved, preoccupied by his little daughter.

"Nice meeting you." Buffy smiled as she strapped on a carrier of her own for Matthew.

Kate turned and left the office, flabbergasted. Cordelia watched her go an amused smirk on her face. A moment later, Buffy and Angel walked out of the office with the babies, diaper bag and a picnic basket.

"Bye!" She waved.

Blissful, Buffy and Angel walked hand in hand out the door, eager to begin their new life as a family.

The End

 

<< back