"A Tale Of Two Hearts"

Author: A. Price
Email:
andramichelle@yahoo.com

1

2

Dark blue curtains blew softly as a cool breeze drifted through the open window. Buffy smiled as she surveyed her room, a bit of overtime at the Doublemeat had given her some extra money to redecorate with. Gone were the light colors of her old room replaced with a comforter of rich dark blue, hunter green and a bit of burgundy thrown in. The room was darker now but somehow more grown up - a reflection of Buffy, she took a moment to look at the new curtains, they were dark enough to keep out even the early morning sun... not that she had reason to be thinking about that sort of thing anymore.

Bufy adjusted the long black duster over her jeans and tank top. It was early September and the nights were getting a bit cooler in Sunnydale. Buffy stared hard at her self in the mirror as she pulled her hair back into a ponytail. It had grown out quite a bit in the last four months, it was long just the way *he* liked it. Goldilocks - that's the name he had called her then, way back then when as complicated as things were, they still seemed somehow simple. She shook her head as if that would be enough to clear out all thoughts of him. Frowning at herself in the mirror one more time, she stuck one more stake in the deep pocket of the duster and headed out for patrol.

Lately patrol had been the time she had used to take her away from thoughts of her problems - such as a sister she had to face was growing up and needed to feel well - needed. And her friend and his romantic problems, his ex fiancee' now tentative girlfriend , her father figure gone back to England, and her best friend in Arizona trying to recover from a major breakdown.

Buffy had spent most of the summer alone. Dawn had accepted Hank's offer to spend the summer in LA, only after Buffy's promise of more self defense lessons and even a chance at patrol when she returned. To be honest as much as Buffy loved her sister, she needed some time alone. The event's of Spring had afforded her that, Willow had gone to her grandmothers in Arizona for the Summer to do some much needed emotional healing, Giles had put her in touch with someone to help with her *other* problem also, before he left for England. Xander was working out of town for the summer on a big construction job, he and Anya had semi patched things up, they were going slowly. Buffy did enjoy the once a week lunch with Anya, but oddly she seemed to really be enjoying her time alone, it gave her time to reflect on things, to try to figure out when everything had gone so wrong. It gave her time to think of him without feeling guilty about it. But Dawn would be home next week and things would go back to semi normal.

The sky was clear and the moon shone brightly as she walked the familiar path. She had forced herself to stay away from the crypt for the last month. Clem seemed to enjoy her company, but she was beginning to feel a bit of pity from him whenever she asked about Spike. He would smile and shake his head sadly as he told her, "no news" yet again. She didnt' want Clem's pity, she just wanted news of Spike and so far there had been none. She also realized that no matter how twisted things had become between she and Spike... that she missed him. She wanted another chance to talk to him, really talk to him. She wanted to set things straight.


He ran the final steps to the crypt like a man coming home after having gone to war. "Clem!" He called out as he opened the door. There was no answer, Clem must be out, possibly playing his beloved kitten poker. Spike grinned as he noted the little bit of decorating that Clem had done in his abscence. A shelf held a collection of lunch boxes, Knight Rider, The A Team and The Dukes of Hazzard, some of Clem's favorites.

Spike climbed down to the lower level to check it out. He hadn't had much time to clean up there before things had fallen apart... before he had gone on his journey. Even after the explosion he could still catch her soft scent amongst the burned out rugs and bedclothes. Buffy, how do I begin to tell you... everything? He closed his eyes and could see her blond hair shining, green eyes full of warmth, his very own sunbeam.


The crypt was dark as she lightly knocked on the door and opened it slightly, calling "Clem." There was no answer as she entered the crypt and lit a small candle. He wouldn't mind if she sat here for a few minutes, if she really tried she could almost believe Spike was there, on the lower level just waiting to come up and make a sarcastic remark, or maybe he would want to take her below and make other more gentle remarks. She shivered slightly at the thought of his touch. Not good, Buffy - she thought as she leaned back and closed her eyes.


Spike started upstairs at the sound of someone entering the crypt. Clem must have made an early night of it, "Clem!", he called as he climbed the ladder.

Buffy stood up at the sound of some one on the ladder and also called out, "Clem!"

Spike reached the top level and stared at the beautiful blond standing there - standing there in his old duster.

"Spike?" She asked her eyes wide with shock, the hair was the same, same cheekbones, but his clothing was totally unSpike. Blue jeans and a plain white button down shirt were his attire now. She had to admit it looked good on him.

"Buffy?" He responded equally shocked. Oh, that was smooth, mate. Haven't seen her for months, have a shiny new soul and I can only say her name and look like a fish with my mouth wide open.

"You're back, well obviously you're back or you wouldn't be here. So, yeah you're back, ummm... when?" She was rambling, she was cute when she rambled he had to smile despite his fear of rejection.

I'm rambling, hush Buffy, it's just that he looks so different. He's really here!

The fact that she had not yet pulled a stake on him gave him a bit of hope and courage, "Just got back tonight. Uh...I need to tell you some news, " He looked around the crypt and suddenly it seemed to dark and dank to break his news to her, he took a chance, "Buffy, would you like to go get a coffee?"

Coffee? He wants to get coffee? Buffy pondered the question for several minutes, her brain said, don't trust him you don't know what he's been doing, the heart side argued that he was being very polite, she had missed him and she did want to hear his story. The brain tried one more time to say convince her she would be sorry, but her heart won out - it was full of slayer strength. "Yes, I would like some coffee." She finally got out the words.

Spike sighed with relief he had thought that maybe she was going to turn him down. "Let's go then." He almost offered her his arm, but thought better of it, he was not going to push. He felt lucky that she had even spoke to him, he tried not to think about what her being in the crypt implied? Was she that close to Clem? Nah. Could she possibly have missed him? And why was she wearing his duster?

"So whats this news you have to tell me?" She asked as they walked towards the coffee shop.

"Let's wait till we get there and I'll tell you everything." He smiled at her as they walked towards down the shop taking a shortcut through the alley. Neither realized they were being watched.


"He's not alone, sir."

"No, he's not, I should have known. Buffy Summers has been a thorn in my side every since she was called. It would have been much easier if she had stayed dead."

"What should we do, sir?"

Quentin Travers drummed his fingers on the dashboard of the van, "Take her down too."

"Are you sure we can... take her?" The other man asked a hint of fear in his voice, he'd heard tales of what Buffy was capable of.

"I'm always prepared, James." Travers smiled as he pulled a brief case from under his seat, opening it, he displayed a tranquilizer gun with several vials safely cushioned in the case, "This will take down the vamp and also the slayer. She won't wake up until we are long gone."

James nodded his head and took the case from his boss. He carefully loaded the gun and exited the van, Traver's followed him at a safe distance.

"Did you hear something?" Buffy stopped suddenly in the alley.

"I think so, but maybe it's just a cat?" Spike asked, he did not want to be interrupted by slaying tonight.

"I don't think... " Buffy turned around, she was hit by something sharp in her shoulder, she sank to the ground, the last thing she heard was Spike calling out her name.

"Buffy... Buffy!" Spike's sank down beside Buffy even as he scanned the alley, he saw no one. "Buffy, luv, whats wrong?" He gently lifted her against him, thats when he noticed the dart in her back, "What the... " His sentence was never finished as James ducked from his hiding place and placed his second shot. Spike's prone body sprawled on the ground still holding Buffy against him.

Travers caught up to James as the man stood over the unconcious vampire and vampire Slayer. "He was trying to protect her I think, why?" James turned to Travers.

"That's just one of the things I intend to find out about William the Bloody." Travers leaned forward and knelt beside the couple, "Help me with the vampire." Travers and James carried Spike to the van and handcuffed his wrists and ankles.

Travers turned and started back down the alley, "Where are you going sir?" James asked not sure he wanted to be left alone in the van with a vampire, unconcious or not.

"I'm going to get the girl." Travers nodded his head and smiled.

James looked confused as he watched Travers picking up Buffy from the alley and bring her back to the van. "I thought she wasn't part of the plan."

"The plan has changed." Travers told him as he found more restraints for her arms and legs.


James Carstairs started the van and drove towards the house Mr. Travers had acquired for them in Sunnydale. He glanced in the mirror at the back of the van and what he saw made him very uncomfortable.

Quentin Travers knelt between Buffy and Spike's unconcious forms. He ran one hand over Buffy's cheek, "She's quite lovely isn't she?" Quentin asked when he caught James eye in the rearview mirror.

"Yes sir, she is." James agreed hesitantly. Mr. Travers was paying him well and he needed the money if he and Maralee ever wanted to be together. He told himself that he shouldn't care what happened to the rebellious Slayer, Travers had explained that she had made fools of the Council more then once and often consorted with her mortal enemy. And as for the vampire, from what he knew about them they were meant to be staked not studied or dallied with, as the Slayer had been known to do.

"You'll take the vampire and I'll take the slayer." Quentin told James as the van pulled into the garage of what looked like and ordinary home only two streets over from Revello Drive. But like most things in Sunnydale looks can be deceiving and hide things - bad things.James closed the garage door and locked it, he then drug Spike from the van and unlocked a door at the back of the garage. He half carried, half drug the vampire down several steps into a very modified basement.

Quentin followed him carrying Buffy down the steps carefully. He didn't want her to know that he was involved in this situation. There were three cells in the basement, one was a regular cell with bars, a cot and small toilet in the corner. Quentin smiled as he lay Buffy on the cot. He hadn't expected to need the plumbing facilities in the cells but they now worked to his advantage. He ran his hand through Buffy's hair and left to help James.

The other two cells were soundproofed and equipped with cots and toilets also. They were cement on all sides with a small door that could be opened in the heavy door on the front of the cell for passage of food.

"Put him in here on the floor for now. I want to see how they react with each other first, before I separate them." Quentin instructed. James dropped Spike on to the hard cement floor. "We need to go into the other room now, they can't see me."

The two men made themselves comfortable in two chairs that sat in front of a console with three monitors situated on it. The screens showed to empty cells and the third which held Buffy and Spike. Spike began to move first, slowly opening his eyes and looking around the cell, as soon as his eyes fell on Buffy, his movements became quicker, within a few seconds he was at her side, her hand in his, rubbing her cheeks, calling her name.

"Buffy, Buffy, luv. Wake up." He continued calling her name. "Please pet." He looked around the cell as he continued to talk to her and try to rouse her. Where the hell were they?

After several minutes, Buffy's eye's fluttered open, "Spike?" She croaked out, her mouth felt like she had swallowed a handfull of cotton balls. Spike helped her to sit up on the cot.

"You okay?" Spike sat down beside her on the cot.

"Umm... I think so, just thirsty." She looked around the bareness of the cell, "Where are we?"

"I'm not sure. All I remember is being in the alley, you heard something, went down and I saw the dart in your back and then I felt a sting and... here we are." Spike explained as he watched her stand and walk towards the bars.

Buffy was testing the bars with both hands, "They don't look that strong, together we should be able to get out of here." She looked back at Spike with a smile.

Spike walked over to the bars and tested them, "You're right but this can't be that easy."

"Maybe we have stupid kidnappers?" Buffy grinned at him as she took a bar in each hand, Spike put his hands over Buffy's on the same bars and they began to pull - they could just feel the bars giving when they were both thrown back against the wall of the cell.

"What the?" Buffy asked as she rubbed the back of her head.

"Electric shock, I think." Spike answered as he rubbed the bump on his own head.


"There that will keep them in there for tonight anyway." Quentin smiled at James, "After a few days we won't need the electric shock,the drug that I mixed with the tranquilizer will weaken them both, after a few more doses mixed with their food."

"Sir, do you want me to get their food for them now?" James stood to go to the kitchen.

"Actually I'd like Maralee to take them their dinners." Quentin unlocked a drawer and handed James a vial, "Make sure to pour three drops of this into thier food, it's tasteless."

"Sir, do you think it's safe for Maralee to do this alone?" James asked wincing at the thought of the young woman alone with the captives.

"You would do well to let me worry about my neice's safety, James." Quentin told him pointedly as he closed the drawer and locked it.

"Yes sir." James took the vial and walked upstairs to the kitchen.

"James, you are back! I thought I heard the van." The pretty dark haired girl ran to greet him.

"Yes we're back." James frowned.

"What's wrong?" She asked as she wiped her hands on a dishtowel, "Did you get the vampire?"

"Yes, we got him... and the slayer Buffy Summer's too."

"Buffy Summers, why?" Maralee asked confusion showing in her pretty brown eyes.

"She was with the vampire, and your Uncle decided to take her too." James sat down at the small dining table.

"I don't understand, this was just supposed to be the vampire." Maralee sat down across from him and reached across the table, placing her hand on top of his.

"I have a bad feeling about this Maralee. Your uncle would like for you to take them supper. I'm too add three drops of this," He held up the vial, "to their meals."

"What does it do?" Maralee asked frowning.

"It's only to take away their strength, to weaken them where we don't have to worry about escape."

"I don't think I like this either, James." Maralee stood and walked to the refrigerator, pulling out the makings of a salad and a packet of blood, "Buffy Summer's has a family and friends, my father told me about her before he died. And for all the bad things Uncle Quention says about her, I think there is much more too it. As for the vampire, he represents what killed my father ... " She began to prepare a chef salad in a large bowl. James poured the drug into the salad and then into the large glass of blood on the tray next to it.

"I know, Maralee. I know how terrible that was for you and to never be able to give him a proper burial." James pulled the girl close to him.

"Uncle Quentin said there was nothing left when they got to him." Maralee wiped away a tear as she readied herself to go feed the Slayer and the vampire.

"Just push the tray through the bars. We'll be watching on the monitor if anything goes wrong." James kissed her forehead and watched her balance the tray as she walked down the steps.


"So any ideas why we are here?" Buffy chewed on her bottom lip as she paced in front of Spike sitting on the cot.

"Not a one, I was thinking maybe you've ticked someone off?" Spike shrugged.

"Me? Why would you think...?" Buffy asked irritation in her voice.

"Hmmmm... slayer - lots of enemies?" Spike gave her a half smile.

"Oh...well actually it's been pretty slow lately. I can't imagine who would be after me, unless it's someone after my glamourous job at the Doublemeat." She sighed as she sat down by him.

"So - no new big bads?"

Buffy shook her head, "Nope."

"Your're still working at that grease trap?" Spike asked rolling his eyes at her.

"Well, yes Spike. Food, water, gas all have to be paid for." She stood up again and glared at him, "Anyway thats not exactly what is important now, we need to find out who is behind this!" She raised her arms and motioned to the bars.


Maralee cautiously walked towards the cell.

"Hey!" Buffy called out as the girl began to pass the tray through the small door in the bars.

"I brought you some food." Maralee told her nervously.

"Who are you? Where are we?" Buffy shouted at the girl on the other side of the bars.

Maralee took several steps back, "I can't tell you anything! I don't know."

Spike stepped forward, and put his hand on Buffy's back, "Scaring her won't help, pet."

Buffy stepped up to the bars, "I'm sorry I yelled at you. It's just that I don't know why I'm here. And you can surely understand why I'm upset."

Maralee nodded at the petite blond, she was as pretty as her father had described her. "I know you are upset, but I really can't tell you anything. I'm just suppose to bring food."

"Thank you for the food, but I really need some answers." Buffy smiled at Maralee.

"Is there someone we can talk to who has answers?" Spike asked from behind Buffy.

Maralee glared at him, "I won't speak to your kind. You killed my father."

"I haven't killed anyone in a very long time." Spike replied soflty as he approached the bars.

"I know it wasn't you personally that killed him, but it was your kind. My poor father, he was only trying to help and he died for it." She spit the words out at him before she ran out of the room.

Buffy watched as Spike sat down on the cot, his face was the picture of despair. It was as if he really cared about this girls pain, she knew Spike was quite capable of caring, he had shown it many times towards herslef, her mother, Dawn, even her Xander on the rare occasion, but she'd never seen it towards a complete stranger before. "Are you okay?" She asked sitting beside him once again.

"I'm fine." Spike lied as he studied the blanket on the cot intently, "You better eat somethng, keep up your strength." This was not the time to go into the story of his new soul.

"Okay, but you need to eat too." Buffy told him as she picked up the glass of blood and handed it to him.

He looked at the blood in the glass and almost gagged, that girl was right, it had been his "kind" that killed her father, he once killed people for their blood, for his food. He had learned early after receiving his soul how easy it was to brood over things he had done, he had made a choice to accept his past and try to move on to a better future. Occasionally though, something would bring the guilt to the surface and make him think about it, the girl who had brought the food had done just that.

Buffy glanced up from her salad and smiled wearily at him. He smiled back , he had wanted his soul so he could attempt to be worthy of her, so this bit of guilt was worth that. He drank his blood like a good vampire.

Buffy finished her last sip of water and placed the salad bowl and two glasses by the bars. "So who do you think she is?"

"I don't know Buffy, but I have a feeling she's telling the truth she really doesn't know the whole story here. I have a feeling whoever is behind this will show soon." He stood up from the cot, "Here you look tired, take the cot."

Buffy covered a yawn with her hand, "Are you sure?" She asked she lay down and fluffed the small pillow.

"Yeah, I'll stay up for awhile, keep watch." Spike turned to face the bars.

"Spike." She called sleepily.

He turned to her, "Yes."

"There's room for two, you can keep watch from here." She scooted closer to the wall and patted the cot beside her.

"Are you sure?" He asked soflty.

"I'm sure. You'll keep me awake with all of that pacing." She grinned at him as she pulled the covers up over them and turned to face the wall. He slipped in to the cot beside her and pressed his back to hers, a soft voice behind him whispered, "Goodnight, Spike.

Despite their desperate situation, he smiled, "Goodnight, Buffy."


Spike watched as Buffy slept, sometime during the night she had turned and casually lay her arm across his waist. He hadn't moved since not wanting to wake her. He stared at the arm across his waist, tan and small wristed, the delicate appearance hid such strength, his duster had hung on her the sleeves too long for these small arms.

He glanced at the duster folded neatly and sitting in the floor next to the cot. Spike had wanted to ask her why she had kept it, why she had worn it? As much as he wanted answers to these questions, he realized his priority at the moment was to keep Buffy safe until they could get out of this mess.

According to the watch on Buffy's wrist it was 6:15. He wondered when Dawn would miss Buffy? Would she have any clue where Buffy had gone last night? Buffy moved again, this time opening one eye to look at who was in her bed. She quickly took her arm from his waist and sat up on the cot looking at Spike and then around at the cell, "It wasn't a bad dream, huh?"

"Wish it were, pet." Spike answered as he sat up next to her, "And no clues through the night either, our host has yet to show himself or possibly herself."

"Come on out you coward!" Buffy shouted as she rolled off of the cot over Spike and stood in the middle of the cell. She walked to the bars and hesitantly shook them remembering the electric shock, nothing happened.

"Buffy, I'm not sure taunting your captor is the way to go." Spike stood up and walked over to her, putting his hand on her shoulder.

"So we just wait here?" Buffy asked angrily.

"For now, yes." Spike answered softly.

"Since when did you become patience guy?" Buffy rolled her eyes at him.

"I can be patient if I have to be." Spike shook his head at her and sat down once again.


"That was quite interesting, she let the vampire lie on the cot beside her. She seems to trust him." Traver's watched Buffy shaking the bars and then the calming affect that Spike had on her.

"I still don't understand what this whole experiment is about, sir." James sighed from the chair beside Travers.

"You don't have to understand, James. Just do as your told." Travers turned back to the screen, "Have Maralee take them their breakfast, don't forget the drug. When they finish, we will separate them."

"Yes sir. Won't it be dangerous to open the cell?" James frowned.

"By then they will be considerably weaker." Travers explained.


"Maralee, your Uncle would like for you to take them breakfast."

"Okay, just give me a few minutes." She told him as she pulled eggs from the refrigerator. "How did they do through the night?"

"Okay, nothing special happened. She fell asleep and he kept watch over her most of the night." James told he as he poured himself a cup of coffee, "It's odd...I think they care for each other." He shook his head as she placed the plate with scrambled eggs, toast, an orange with coffee and juice on a tray and then poured more blood into a mug. He quickly added the drug to the meals and kissed Maralee's cheek, "Be careful."

She nodded her head and carried the tray down the steps to the cell room. She could hear them talking quietly as she walked to the barred door.

"So won't Dawn be up and worried about where you are? Surely Willow, Tara and Xander will send out a search party for you?" Spike was asking Buffy as Maralee sat the tray down.

"Spike, it's different now, Dawn is in LA until next week, she's with dad and is due home the weekend before school starts." Buffy noticed Maralee as she sat down the tray, "Hello," She said softly, "Umm.. that looks good."

"Thank you, I wasn't sure what you ate for breakfast." Maralee gave a shy half smile.

"I guess I'm not so hard to cook for?" Spike quippped from behind Buffy. Maralee only glared at him.

Buffy turned to Spike and raised her eyebrows at him hoping he would take the hint to be quiet, he did. "My name is Buffy and that is Spike. It looks like we're going to be here awhile, so maybe we should introduce ourselves.:

"I know who you are." Maralee told her not meeting Buffy's eyes, "You are Buffy Summers."

"Wow, then you are one up on me, who are you?"

"My name is Maralee and thats all I can tell you, enjoy your meal." She quickly left the room leavning Buffy and Spike alone once more.

"This is so frustrating!" Buffy grumbled as she pulled the tray all the way through the door. She handed Spike his mug and nibbled at her toast.

"Back to what I was saying, Buffy. The Scoobs will miss you, they'll track you down somehow. Even if Dawn isn't here right now." Spike took a sip from his mug.

"Spike it's not the same as before you left, Willow, she went over the edge after Tara was... oh...you don't know." Buffy sat down her coffee mug and put her hand over her mouth, this was still hard to talk about.

"Know what, pet?" He asked fear nudging at him.

"Warren, he came to the house and he shot me... and then a shot caught Tara and she didnt' make it." Buffy's lip was trembling now, "Willow went crazy with the magic."

"You were shot?" Spike stood up off the cot.

"Yes, but Willow came to the hospital and she took the bullet out with magic. I would be dead now if she hadn't." Buffy shuddered at the memory.

"Dead, I leave and you end up nearly dead again." Spike was suddenly hugging her tightly against him. "I couldn't have beared it again, if I had come back to find... "

Buffy pulled away from him, "It's okay, I'm okay. But Willow wasn't she..." Buffy told him the whole sordid story as they ate their breakfast, "So that's why, I'm not sure anyone will be looking for me,,,wait Anya.. we' ve been having lunch every week."

"Anya? How is she?" Spike asked with a guilty look.

"She and Xander are somewhat together again. She might tell Xander if she can't get hold of me." Buffy sighed as she finished the last of her eggs. "Now it's your turn, where have you been? And what is the news you needed to tell me."

"Well, it's a long story luv, it starts after I left your house that ...that last night. Buffy I am so sorry about that night, if I could take it back, I would." Spike lowered his eyes from her and sighed.

"Let's not talk about it now, we can get into that later. Now from there where did you go?"

Spike couldn't believe what he was hearing, she wasnt' angry just matter of fact about it, they would discuss it later. Looking up at her again, he answered, "Africa, I went to Africa."

"What's in Africa?" Buffy asked curiously.

"Well thats where the story gets complicated, " Spike smiled at her, "You see there was this ... " He never got to finish his story as another tranquilizer dart hit him in the chest and he slumped down on the floor beside Buffy.

"Spike," She shouted kneeling beside him, she turned towards the bars she saw James with the gun, "What did you do to him?"

"He's not hurt, Miss. You have to come with me now." James cautiously unlocked the cell door.

"I don't think so." Buffy took a fighting stance.

"Yes mam and it will be easier if you dont' fight me." James really didn't want to fight with the girl standing in front of him.

"Easier on you maybe." Buffy charged at him, but he quickly subdued her and held her tight against him, she struggled against him but could not break free of his grasp.

"What?" Buffy was confused she had taken down much larger men then James, she realized then that something was very wrong.

"Please Miss." James carried her arms locked around her to one of the cement cells, he opened the door and shoved her in quickly locking it behind him.

Spike was still out cold when James dragged him into the other cement cell. He doublechecked the locks on both doors and went to find Quentin.


Buffy looked around her new cell slightly panicked. Something was wrong with her, her strength , it was like when she had turned 18, when she Giles had drugged her for the Council. The Council,,,,,could they be part of this? But why? She stared at the four cement walls, the only connection to the outside was a small door in the heavy metal door, she supposed that was for food. She pounded on the walls, and screamed "Spike!!!" Maybe he could hear her, she needed to know he was okay.

Spike sat up groggily, he could hear someone faintly calling his name. As he sat up he realized he had been moved and Buffy was gone. As his head cleared his vampiric hearing could hear the voice more clearly, it was Buffy and she was calling his name. He went to stand by the wall where the voice was coming from, he called back, "Buffy! Buffy!"

Buffy continued to call his name, "Spike, Spike! Please answer me." It was no use, he couldn't hear her, she didnt' know where she was, where he was, her strength was fading. She finally sat down on the cot and let the tears come.

Spike continued to call her name, but it was no use, she couldn't hear him. He fnally heard her call his name one more time, then shortly after he heard soft sobbing. Slumped against the wall he placed his hand against the wall, "I hear you, Buffy. I hear you, baby."

Spike stayed close against the cold wall listening to Buffy cry for nearly an hour, the sobs slowed down to hiccups and then her breathing evened out and he realized she had cried herself to sleep. How were they going to get out of here?

"It's time to go visit the vampire." Quentin stood up from his chair, "You follow me with the gun just in case."

"Will the drug work as well on the vampire as it has the Slayer?" James asked as he walked behind Travers to Spike's cell.

"It should, but I'm not sure if it works as quickly, hence the backup." Travers unlocked the cell door, Spike took full advantage and leaped on his back. Travers shook him off and kicked Spike in the chest. Spike was as shocked as Buffy had been when he realized his strength was weakening. "Now, we can bring the gun in and drug you again, or you can behave."

"Who are you? Where is Buffy?" Spike demanded as he stood up, wincing slightly at the pain in his chest where Travers had kicked him.

"I am from the Council, Mr., I'm sorry which do you prefer Spike or William?"

"Doesn't really matter what you call me does it? And I should have known it was the Council behind this, what do you want with Buffy? Hasn't the girl given up enough for you lot?" Spike stepped right up to Travers and got in his face, "If you've hurt her."

Quentin Travers took one look at the angry vampire in front of him and smiled, "You'll do what? As you can no doubt tell, your strengh is being drained, the same is true of Buffy's. You are in no position to threaten me."

Spike stepped back and tried to calm himself, think of Buffy. "What are you going to do with her?"

"I'm not sure, William. You see, I didn't really want Miss Summers, I was more interested in you." Travers smile broadened as he watch Spike take in this bit of information.

"Me? Why?"

"You are an interesting case, you seem to care for the Slayer. Willing to risk your life for her, yet you left her for the entire summer. Left her in a lurch, I'm sure she could have used your help with the witch." Travers watched as a look of...could that have been guilt? washed over Spike's face.

"I had to go." Spike replied softly.

" And now you're back. I've always been under the notion that vampires were fairly black and white, my late brother disagreed thinking that there was a lot of grey areas in there. His views were causing controversy in the Council. Now I have my very own specimen of a so called "grey" vampire to study." Travers sat down on the cot.

"So you want to study me? Find out what makes me tick? Fine - but let Buffy go. You said yourself you didn't want her." Spike tried not to sound anxious, "She can be a real pain, trust me. It'll be easier to let her go."

" As for Ms. Summers being a ... pain as you put it, I'm quite aware of that. But, I think I'll keep her for at least a little while." Traver's voice was menacing as he finished his sentence. "We'll start later today." Walking past Spike he locked the door behind him. *

Maralee brought lunch to Buffy and found her sitting on the cot, knees drawn up to her chest. "Is Spike okay?"

"Pardon me for asking, but why do you care? He is a vampire, you are the Slayer? It makes no sense to me." Maralee asked shyly.

"No it doesn't make any sense, " Buffy smiled at her, "But I do care and I need to know."

"Yes, he's fine. I have blood for him too."

"I didn't always care. In fact I spent a good amount of time trying to dust him." Buffy shook her head at the memories of fighting with Spike.

"How did it come to this then?" Maralee was very curious.

"That's a very long story." Buffy picked up the sandwich and looked suspiciously at it, "You're drugging my food aren't you?"

"No, I'm not." Maralee answered, she convinced herself it wasn't a lie because she didn't actually put the drug in the food.

Buffy frowned at her and shoved the food back at the girl, "Who is behind this?"

"I can't tell you. Please eat." Maralee pushed the plate back towards Buffy.

"No thank you. I'm not hungry." Buffy replied stubbornly.

Maralee sighed and took the plate, "I would really like to understand why you can care for that monster if you wouldn't mind explaining it to me. See my father thought that not all vampires were alike that there were some who could feel for whatever reason. His research ended up getting him killed."

"I'm sorry about your father. I lost my mother recently, it's...it's very hard." Buffy sighed as she sat down on the cot, "I'll try to explain but it's probably better to start at the beginning. When my parents divorced my mother and sister and I moved to Sunnydale. I had already been called but I was hoping that with the move I could forget the slaying. It had caused so much trouble in my life already."

Maralee sat the plate down on the floor and leaned against the door to listen better. Buffy watched as the girl listened to her tell about meeting Giles and the Scoobies. Maybe if she gained this girls trust and could make her understand she could be an ally?

"And he was so dark and mysterious, and I think I was almost in love with him by the time he helped me fight off the three. He was hurt and I took him home and bandaged him and he stayed in my room that night." Buffy smiled at the long ago memory.

"He stayed in your room?" Maralee's eyes widened.

"Oh, on the floor. Nothing happened... that night." Buffy grinned at the girl, "That's another part of the story."

"I had better go back before my uncle misses me.You'll tell me the rest of the story next time, okay?" Maralee gave Buffy a genuine smile.

"Yes, next time. And when you see Spike ...tell him I'm okay."

"I will, would you please change your mind about eating?" Maralee asked before picking up the plate holding the uneaten sandwich.

"No, but I will take the juice." Buffy compromised.

Maralee handed her the glass of juice through the door before she shut and locked it.


After Travers left, Spike went back to his post of listening for Buffy, he could hear her talking to the girl Maralee, she had asked her to please tell him that she was okay. But why wasn't Buffy eating, she was going to need to eat if her strength was slipping like his was.

She walked to the cell door next door and unlocked the small door, "Here is your blood."

Spike walked quickly to the door, "You've seen Buffy?"

"Yes, and she says to tell you she is okay." Maralee stepped back and started to close the door.

"Tell her I'm okay too and that she needs to eat." Spike sighed as the little door was completely closed.

He looked at the mug of blood sitting on the floor and suddenly he knew how Buffy felt, he had no appetite either. He could hear the scuffing of Buffy's shoes on the cement floor, she was pacing. If only she could hear him.

"So William. Are you ready for a few tests?" Quentin asked as he entered the cell with hand and ankle cuffs. James stood with a tazer gun while Travers restrained Spike. "Let's go."

Spike was taken to another room, "I'd like to test your healing powers first, I realize they may be a little slow now but I should still be able to get an idea."

Travers balled up his fist and hit Spike in the face busting his lip. Spike's head flung back and hit the wall, he made no sound, he wouldn't give this man the satisfaction. "That would be the natural wound, lets see how that heals in comparison to an enhanced wound."

James silently handed the bottle of holy water over to Travers. The older man opened the bottle and rolling up Spike's shirt sleeve dribbled the water down his exposed arm. Spike bit his tongue to keep from shouting out, the water sizzled and blistered as it rolled down the arm and off of his fingertips. "This is the enhanced wound, I'll check later to compare the healing rate. Meanwhile, I'd like for you to answer some questions."

James watched as the vampire sat through what must be agony, large blisters appeared up and down his arm. He wasn't sure he had the stomach for this, even if it was a vampire.

Spike listened as Travers grilled him about Angelus, Darla and Dru. He answered the questions in his normal smart ass way and ended up with several more bruises for his trouble. Travers wanted to know why he stayed with Druscilla for over a hundred years and then left her? Spike was afraid to tell him the full extent of his feelings for Buffy... afraid he would use them against him, against Buffy.

"We're done now, James take him back."

"Yes sir." James hauled Spike up from the floor and drug him back to his cell, Spike attempted to trip James up but in his weakened state James quickly had the best of him again. He unlocked the cell door and sat Spike on the cot, "I'm going to unlock these restraints. Please don't make me regret it." James told Spike as he unlocked the hand and ankle cuffs. "You do care for the Slayer, don't you? I don't know the whole story but I can tell."

"She's a good fighter, my worthiest opponent." Spike told him as he looked at his wrist, the water had run under the cuff and cause several large blisters that had been rubbed open and now left raw spots on his skin. It hurt more then he would ever admit.

"I think it's more then that." James gave Spike a tentative smile, "I love someone, I think I can see that in you. I'm not sure how, after all your a vampire!"

"True and someone like me could never love right? Ask Travers about Drusilla, we were together over a hundred years. I know about love." Spike sighed and closed his eyes, he just wanted to lie down and sleep for the next week.

"I heard you talk about Druscilla to Quentin, but it was what you didnt' say that convinced me that you love the Slayer. You carefully avoided questions about her, you don't want him to know just how much you care."

"So I guess you'll run tell the boss man your theory now?" Spike asked accusingly.

"No, I don't think I will. I'm not sure what all this about, I think it's best to keep my opinions to myself." James turned and walked out lockng the door once again.


On the fourth day of their captivity, it rained and rained and rained. Buffy's cell seemed to have a leak, dirty water pooled in the floor, Maralee gave her towels to sop up the water but it still left the cell damp and dank.

Spike had endured yet another day of torture, this time Quentin Travers decided to compare holy water to flames, he had burns on both legs now. After Traver's asked more questions. Spike felt sure he had a hidden agenda that was nothing to do with his so called experiments.


Anya knocked at the door of the Summer's residence. There was no answer, she was now officially worried. Buffy had not answered her calls in the past two days and surely she was not out patrolling in this rain. She knocked once more on the front door, still no answer, she raised her umbrella and walked to the backdoor, she tried to peek in but the kitchen was dark. She would call Xander tonight, she could feel it, something was wrong.

In LA, Dawn Summers had the same feeling, she'd left two messages for her sister to call her. Hank was bringing her home Friday instead of Saturday. It was unlike Buffy to not return her calls.


The next day, Quentin Travers decided on a new type of torture. He turned the heat up in the cells until Buffy was sweating profusely and on the verge of dehydration. Then turned the air up until it was so cold that she was wrapped tightly in the thin blanket from her cot. He opened the small door on Spike's cell and peeked in. Spike's burns were finally healing a bit, he had torn his pants legs and rolled them up so they didn't irritate his legs. "So William how are you today?"

"I'm fine, Travers. Vampire remember? Temperature doesn't really affect me." Spike replied nonchalantly not bothering to look at his tormenter.

"Hmm... I guess that's true. But the poor slayer isn't qutie that fortunate." Traver's closed the door with a smirk.

"Buffy! What have you done to her?" Spike pounded on the door to no avail.

Buffy sat in her cell shivering, Maralee had finally convinced her to drink some hot chocolate and to eat something. As she finished the cocoa the cell warmed up to a reasonable temperature.

Spike listened carefully to Buffy's cell, he could hear her moving around and she had thanked Maralee for cocoa, she must be okay for now anyway. Maralee dropped off his blood and assured him that Buffy was okay, it was the same everyday. No matter how hurt he was, he asked about Buffy first thing.

As she walked away from the cell she thought about the interesting tale Buffy had been telling her. So far Spike had arrived in Sunnydale with the love of his life Druscilla and was ready to kill Buffy. That's where Buffy had stopped the story today, she had been shivering so badly from the cold cell that her teeth were chattering. Maralee could not believe that the vampire in that cell was the same one she had described earlier. And as for Druscilla being the love of his life, she was doubting that too.


Buffy woke up early the next morning. She was stuffed up and could feel a cold coming on. She sneezed twice and wiped her nose on some scratchy toilet tissue. The temperature was comfortable now but the cell was still damp from the rain. She began to count back how many days they had been here. "Six, I think it's six." She said aloud to the empty cell. She needed a way to record it, maybe Maralee could bring her some paper and a pen?

Spike turned over in his cot and groaned, his burns while healing were still quite tender and the rough sheets only irritated them. He could not imagine what new torture today would bring. He rolled over closely to the wall again and put his ear to it, it was his morning ritual listening to Buffy. He heard her stirring and speaking to Maralee. She was going to start her story again, he'd only heard bits and pieces of it so far. He frowned as Buffy sneezed loudly and began to talk.

"So Angel warned us that Spike would not stop until I was dead. He had killed two slayers before me." Buffy took a sip of coffee and wiped at her nose.

"Two Slayers. I'm really confused now, I can tell that he cares for you, how?" Maralee asked totally enthralled with the story.

"So he decides to give Dru this gift of this demon called the Judge. And he's in pieces that have to be put together so we are trying to keep the pieces separated." Buffy stopped to sneeze again.

"Bless you." Maralee smiled at her.

"Thanks, anyway it was my birthday and we have one piece of the Judge and we decide Angel is the only one who can get rid of it." Buffy sighed, "So he takes it and we go to the docks to say goodbye."

"He had to leave on your birthday?" Maralee shook her head, "Thats so sad."

"It gets worse." Buffy closed her eyes at the memory, "We lost the arm to one of Spike's minions"

Spike closed his eyes at the memory, he remembered feeling like he was on the top of the world when they retrieved that arm. The world came tumbling back on top of him as usual though, his throat was tight as he remembered how close the judge came to taking Buffy that night, then she and Angel had escaped and well the rest was really bad history. He hated that he had ever been a part of that, but at the same time realized the past was past. He was going to do everything he could to keep Buffy safe now... right you're doing a bang up job of that.

He turned his ear to Buffy again, "So it was pouring rain and we went back to his place and ... and... that night we made love. And in the morning we found we had created a monster, Angelus was back." Buffy's eyes held unshed tears, "I think thats enough for now."

"Alright, but you will tell me the rest later?"

"Yes. Maralee could you please bring me some paper and a pen. It gets so boring just sittng here." Buffy pleaded soflty.

"Yes, with your lunch, I can do that." Maralee turned to leave.

"And tell Spike I'm okay." Buffy called after her.

Maralee opened the small door to Spike's cell, she almost couldn't bear to look at him, his face was bruised and his legs were horrible. The blisters had burst and the skin was raw and it looked like they had bled in places. She tried not to think about the cruelty her Uncle was capable of. Yes Spike was a vampire but she was beginning to think that her father was right, maybe not all vampires are alike? "Here is your breakfast and Buffy says to tell you she's okay."

"She's really okay?" Spike hobbled over to the door.

"Well I think she has a cold. but she is okay." Maralee gave Spike a half smile, "How are you?"

The question shocked Spike, Maralee had never shown anything except disdain for him and rightly so considering her experience with vampires. "I'm managing. I'm tough." He smiled back at her.

"I just wanted to ask..."

"Maralee." Spike called as she started to close the little door.

"Yes."

"Don't tell her about this..." He pointed towards his legs.

"Okay, I won't." She said as she closed the door. This was not right, none of it.


"Anya, I'm sure there is a logical reason why Buffy hasn't called you." Xander tried to calm his girlfriend as he unlocked Buffy's door. Buffy had given him a housekey so he could be Mr. Repairman.

"It doesn't look like she's been here for awhile. The mail is piled up and look...no dirty dishes and look at the answering machine - theres twenty messages there!" Anya hit the message button and she and Xander listened to them playback.

"Okay, first we have to call Dawn, she's left a dozen messages the last few days and she'll be here... tomorrow. Secondly, we never have to eat at the Doublemeat again, Buffy no longer works there." Xander paused then added in a very serious tone, "Thirdly we have to find her... you don't think she's taken off do you, I mean things have been rough and then she's been mostly alone. She's run off before."

"Xander, she hasn't run off! She showed me her room, she redecorated it. A woman does not redecorate if shes going to leave. And another thing, I think she has enjoyed the time alone." Anya told him as she marched up the stairs to Buffy's room. "See! Totally redcorated, the colors are a bit dark but it looks good. It looks like she went to patrol, she left the weapons chest open."

"I think you're right, Anya, she didn't take off. But that leads me to an even scarier thought." Xander sighed and sat down on the end of the bed.

"What?" Anya asked sitting down beside him.

Xander shook his head and sighed, "That she went out on patrol and never made it home."

 

More

 

<< back