The House Always Wins - 4ADH03
Written by David Fury - Directed by Marita Grabiak - First aired on October 20th, 2002
Creature Feature -
Cool Quotes -
The Morgue -
Famous Faces -
Points Of View
The Short: The first of a two parter. Tired of dealing with Connor and looking for Cordelia, Angel decides to take Gunn and Fred on a road trip to Vegas to visit Lorne who is performing in a showcase at the Tropicana. They discover that Lorne is being coerced by the casino owner Lee DeMarco into stealing the significant destinies of audience members to sell on the black market. When Lee steals Angel's destiny and learns he is to play a major role in the apocalypse, Cordelia comes to his aid from a distance. Once they defeat Lee they return home only to discover Cordelia waiting in the lobby of the Hyperion, with no memory.
The Long: After a ''Previously on Angel'' segment (see Continuity #1) we open on a man running down an alley who is suddenly stopped by Connor, who hits him. The man vamps out and they fight. Far above Angel is watching the pair fight giving advice. Far above Angel Cordelia watches over Angel and wishes he could hear her begging to help her escape her realm. Connor stakes the vampire and runs off. Gunn and Fred show up concerned about Angel following Connor. Fred says he seems distracted and Gunn agrees. Angel decides they should go on a retreat to Las Vegas (see Continuity #2). (Listen to the teaser here.)
Although it was never given a name, the magic glowing ball allowed Lee to steal people's destinies and sell them to the highest bidder. Once shattered, all the destinies that hadn't been sold off returned to their original owners.
- Angel: ''I know you're there, watching me.''
Cordelia: ''Oh my god! Angel, you can hear me? I so love you! You don't know what it's been like!''
Fred: ''We weren't spying.''
Cordelia: ''Ah, for crap's sake.''
Oh heavenly Cordelia!
- Angel: ''Absolutely. And maybe afterwards we can check out that Danny Gans guy I keep seeing billboards for.''
Danny Gans is...
- Gunn: ''Oh, man, it has been a while. They tore down the Dunes ten years ago.''
The Dunes is...
- Angel: ''Not the casino. I mean actual dunes. Bugsy used to call them dung piles.''
Gunn: ''Bugsy? Bugsy Siegel?''
Bugsy Siegel is...
- Fred: ''Ah, well, the place Lorne is singing at is called the Tropicana.''
The Tropicana Resort and Casino has it's own web site at http://www.tropicanalv.com/.
- Fred: ''They must think it's all makeup, like the blue man group. You don't think the blue man group...?''
The Blue Man Group is...
- Angel: ''Ah, I don't know. I thought it was a little over produced for my tastes. It's like I told Sammy Davis at the Sands, when you, Frank and Dean are the meal, you don't need the trimmings.''
Gunn: ''Hold on. You knew the Rat Pack?''
The Rat Pack was made up of performers Frank Sinatra (1915-1998), Dean Martin (1917-1995), Sammy Davis Jr. (1925-1990), Peter Lawford (1923-1984) and Joey Bishop. Also mentioned by Angel in The Shroud of Rahmon.
The Sands is...
- Gunn: ''I don't know Lorne. I don't know why you did any of it. Why, you were living so large, belting out Tony Bennett so loud in that sweet suite of yours, you couldn't hear your conscience screaming at you!''
Tony Bennett is...
- Angel: ''Oh, now I remember that room! Elvis and Priscilla's wedding reception, 1967. Yes! All right. It's not like I was, you know, really invited. They just put me near the dais.''
Elvis Aron Presley
(1935-1977) was a rock and roll singer whose enormous success changed the
shape of American popular culture. Also referenced in The Shroud of Rahmon by Gunn, Angel #5, by Cordelia in Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered, by Willow in Wild At Heart, by Cordelia in Five By Five and by Buffy in Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
- Wesley: ''Previously on Angel.''
- Gunn: ''Whoa, you mean like that monastery you went to in Tibet?''
Heartthrob - After learning of Buffy's death, Angel spent months in tibet with monks.
Note: Some people seem to have a problem with Angel and crew driving to Las Vegas, having an adventurer and back in one night, considering the trip takes over 5 hours from Los Angeles to Las Vegas, however, we don't know for a fact that it did take place in one night. They could have arrived before sun up, spent the day in Vegas and then saw Lorne's show that next night and driven home afterwards.
- When Gunn, Fred and Lorne walk out of the Tropicana together they end up on ''Glitter Gultch''which is on a street that is about 10 miles away from the Tropicana, on the opposite end of the strip.
The host mentions that Lee had one of his Lornettes shot in the back of the head to make him cooperate, but we didn't see it happen.
- Anonymous vampire, in an alley, staked by Connor.
David Boreanaz as Angel
Charisma Carpenter as Cordelia Chase
J. August Richards as Charles Gunn
Amy Acker as Winifred "Fred" Burkle
Vincent Kartheiser as Connor Angel
Alexis Denisof as Wesley Wyndham-Pryce
Andy Hallett as the Host Demon (Krevlornswath of the Deathwok Clan)
Clayton Rohner as Lee DeMarco
Morroco Omari as Spencer
Jennifer Autry as Lornette #1
Matt Bushell as Security Guard #2
Tom Scmid as the Well Dressed Man
Sven Holmberg as the Delivery Guy
Brittany Ishibashi as Vivian
Diana Saunders as the Bejeweled Woman
John Colelle as the Croupier
Rod Tate as the Bruiser
Clayton Rohner, who played as Lee DeMarco, played Drazi in the Charmed episode Heartbreak City 2.10.
Sven Holmberg, who played the delivery guy, also played the vampire Ty in Warzone.
Brittany Ishibashi, who played Vivian, played the receptionist in the Charmed episode Primrose Empath 3.06.
Points Of View
So did Angel get to keep his slot machine winnings?
Page by Webmaster Mathew - March, 2003
Special thanks to The Complete Buffy Episode Guide for
inspiration and technical help, as well as Buffy episode links and all the
readers of the
Watcher's Diary for their feedback in making this page what it is.