A Little Distance

by Jody E.

 

Genre: Drama

Rating: PG-13

Disclaimer: I don’t own these characters. They belong to Joss Whedon and the WB. I only toy with them for my own amusement.

Chapter 3

Giles bent down and felt Buffy’s pulse… it was weak and thready. He couldn’t leave her crumpled on the floor, so he scooped her up and carried her into her bedroom and placed her on the bed. He picked up the telephone and was about to dial 911, when he noticed that she was stiffening up in an alarming way. He felt Buffy’s arm and discovered to his horror that it was as hard and cold as marble. Her whole body had become like a statue, and he could no longer find a pulse... yet somehow he knew that she wasn’t dead. Obviously, this was no typical poison, but something magical. No point in phoning an ambulance; he phoned Willow and Xander instead.

Soon the whole Scooby gang was assembled around Buffy’s bed, including Dawn who had awoken at the commotion. Buffy continued to lie there frozen and lifeless as before.

"Are you sure she’s not dead?" Willow asked, her eyes wide and frightened.

"I can’t be 100% sure," said Giles, "but I believe that she is under a spell caused by the beast that attacked her this evening. It says that the creature’s claws are poisonous, but it doesn’t say anything else. The beast is very obscure... it doesn’t even have a name."

"And you say Buffy killed this thing in the playground? Maybe I could go and bring back one of its claws and we could analyze it."

"Good idea, Xander. I should have thought of that. I’m sorry, my mind doesn’t seem to be functioning properly."

"Mr. Giles, why don’t you sit down, and I’ll make you some tea," offered Tara. She and Willow exchanged a look. It wasn’t like Giles to fall apart this way. Willow helped Giles to a chair near Buffy’s bed.

"I-I should have realized that something was wrong. She was babbling about giving the beast a name. She sounded almost drunk... then she collapsed. I carried her in here."

"Giles... this wasn’t your fault. It was a good thing you got her onto the bed before she froze like this." Willow patted Giles on the shoulder. At a noise, she looked up. Dawn was standing over Buffy, hands over her mouth muffling a scream. "Dawn... what is it?’

"She-she looks just like m-my M-mother did," gasped Dawn rigid with horror.

"Dawn! Buffy is not dead. She is under a spell, and we’ll help her. I promise. We’ll help her!" Willow hoped desperately that she sounded more confident than she felt. As Tara came in with the tea, Willow indicated Dawn. "We need some more tea here." She sat Dawn down at the foot of Buffy’s bed.

Anya came into the room with the bestiary in her hand. "I have read this entire book and there is no more information to be found on this particular creature. I am afraid that I am only familiar with demons. Beasts are outside my expertise."

"Thank you, Anya. Nobody seems to know much about this thing."

"What do we do now? Are you and Tara going to concoct a spell? I can help."

"Without information about the type of spell... we can’t counteract it."

Tara came in with tea for Dawn. "Perhaps we should go to the Magic Box and look up some general reversal spells. Maybe there is something about people turned to stone... or statues."

"Yeah, at least we’ll be doing something! Let’s go. Anya, want to come with?"

Anya nodded, and they turned to go. Willow went over to Giles. "Giles. Giles! Look after Dawn, okay?"

Giles started, as though he had just noticed Dawn was in the room. He jumped up, seeming more like the competent Giles they knew. "Of course, I will tend to Dawn. Go. Find out what you can." The three women left the room. Giles approached Dawn and sat down beside her. "Dawn, we will do everything that is in our power to bring your sister back. She *is* in there; I know it. Perhaps she can even hear us, and know that we are trying to help her."

"She feels so cold. Maybe we could warm her up. "

"There is an electric blanket in the storage closet. Would you like to go look for it? Maybe that will be just the ticket." He didn’t really think that warming Buffy up would help, but it probably wouldn’t hurt, and it would make Dawn feel useful. She left, and soon he heard her rummaging around in the big closet. He was alone with Buffy. He tried to move her hand but it wouldn’t budge. He looked into her face. Her eyes were closed, and she looked peaceful but her chest was still. He brushed the hair off her face with his fingers and the skin of her cheek was cold and didn’t give under his touch. The Buffy robot on display at the Magic Box felt more human than she did now. Giles felt his eyes fill with tears. He had to remain in control for Dawn’s sake, and to help Buffy as best he could.

Dawn came in with the blanket. They plugged it in and draped it over Buffy’s still form. Dawn turned the dial up to 5 and they waited. Soon Dawn could see that it was hopeless. Buffy’s body felt warmer, but only the way a rock would feel if it were wrapped in an electric blanket. She was no more alive that she had been.

An hour passed. Xander came back in discouraged. "I couldn’t find hide or hair of this thing. Are you sure Buffy said that she killed it? I searched the whole playground."

"She said, ‘I got it, but it got me too.’"

"Well, either it got up and walked away or it dusted like a vampire, because it’s gone. We can look again in the morning." Xander looked at Buffy’s still form. "Any change?"

"Nothing," replied Giles. "The girls are at the Magic Box researching spells. Odd that the beast just simply disappeared." On impulse he pulled up the sleeve of Buffy’s robe. His bandages were there, but underneath, the skin was as smooth as marble. No scratches or even the deeper gashes. Incredible. The only evidence that remained of the beast’s attack on Buffy was her strange stone like state and the shredded blouse that lay in the wastebasket. "Xander, ring the Magic Box and find out if the girls have found anything."

Xander returned a few minutes later looking a little more hopeful. He sat down next to Dawn and put his arm around her shoulder. "Willow says that they’ve found a couple of possible spells and are gathering the ingredients right now."

"I guess this electric blanket isn’t working, " Dawn said mournfully. "Warming her up was a dumb idea, I guess." She began to cry.

Giles said, "Now Dawn, we aren’t going to give up hope. We have some spells to try, and one of them is bound to work. Why don’t you and Xander go make some hot chocolate for everybody when they come back? And look for some chips or crackers of some sort. It may be a long night."

It *was* a long night. Willow, Tara and Anya returned and they tried three different spells, but to no avail. By this time it was almost sunrise and Giles sent everybody home to try and get some sleep. He sent Dawn to her room also. Fortunately it was Saturday, so she wouldn’t miss school. Giles himself remained in Buffy’s room. Though he couldn’t imagine what good he was doing her, he couldn’t bring himself to leave. He found himself talking to her.

"Buffy, I suppose you can’t hear me, though I can feel that you are still alive somewhere in there. It’s ridiculous speaking to you like this, but I have to let these feelings out before they burst within me. When did it happen, Buffy? When did my feelings for you change? I know it wasn’t when you were a rather silly High School girl, trying to slay vampires without breaking a nail. But you touched something in me from the first moment I saw you. Perhaps it was because I saw the sadness underneath your perky mask. Even though you quickly found friends, you were always removed from them by your Slayerness, if I may coin such a word. I too was always separate from my fellow watchers in the Council. I too was always alone. Until Jenny came along. And I did love Jenny. Perhaps she and I might have found something permanent if she hadn’t been killed. I hated you and Angel for that, you know, though I knew it wasn’t your fault, and soon got over it. But since her death I have been alone. Olivia was really just a friend with bedroom privileges. She couldn’t handle my lifestyle and as soon as things got scary, she left. I didn’t even miss her.

Buffy, I hated your relationship with Angel. But only because I felt you deserved so much more... a man who could give you a home and family. When Riley came along, I rejoiced because he seemed so perfect for you. What happened between you I am not competent to judge, but I felt your pain when he left you, and would have done anything to prevent it. But still, what I felt for you was more fatherly than anything else, and I hoped that you felt that way about me too. Thank God you can’t hear me Buffy. Somehow, over this past year, things have changed. I see you here day after day, coping so heroically with the things that have happened to you. I see you caring for Dawn as though she had always been your sister, filling your mother’s place in her life, making this apartment a home for us and never neglecting your Slayer duties, or your schoolwork. And the way you fuss over me, though I do complain about it... It is true that the frivolous girl is gone, Buffy, but the woman who has taken her place is more beautiful and more loving than I ever could have imagined. Buffy, the other night when I told you that every man who has ever met you has fallen in love with you, I did not exclude myself. But I have always been careful to hide my feelings. My watcher’s training and that British reserve you tease me about have helped enormously. But now I don’t know what to do. I am losing you, Buffy, and I don’t think I can bear it." He put his head down on the bed where Buffy slept, and wept until he fell asleep. Dawn found him there in the morning.

Two long excruciating days passed. Willow and Tara tried some more spells but to no avail. On Monday, Anya opened the store. Willow and Tara went to classes, Xander to work, and Dawn to school, because there was nothing else they could do. Giles remained with Buffy, barely eating or sleeping. By Monday night he was haggard and gaunt, and the gang was starting to seriously worry about *him* as well as Buffy.

On Monday evening the gang gathered at Giles’ to make dinner for Dawn and him. Willow and Tara looked at Buffy lying there so still and rigid. "Giles," Willow whispered, "how do you know for sure that she’s not dead?"

Giles looked at her with red-rimmed eyes. "Well, for one thing I haven’t heard from the Council of Watcher’s announcing that a new Slayer has been called. I’m sure that they would notify me, to gloat, if for no other reason and I just know that she is alive in there somewhere. I would feel it if she were dead."

Tara put her hand on Buffy’s forehead. She closed her eyes. "Yes. I think you are right Giles. She is alive in there. I can sense her."

"Then maybe we should call the Council, put this into their hands."

"No!" said Xander. "This is Buffy! Our Buffy. Once the Council of Watchers get their slimy hands on her, it will be the end. They’ll stand her in some Watchers’ museum and she’ll be out of their hair forever!"

"You’re not going to let them take Buffy away are you, Giles?" cried Dawn.

"Please... all of you. I am Buffy’s watcher and I have to decide what is best for her. Please leave me now. I’ll tell you what I’ve decided tomorrow."

Reluctantly, the gang started to leave. One by one they patted Giles on the shoulder or gave him a hug and they all said goodnight to Dawn and lastly to Buffy as though she could hear them.

Xander lagged behind Anya and went over to the bed and touched Buffy’s hair, which was the only soft part of her. With tears in his eyes, he whispered, "Good night Sleeping Beauty." He followed the others.

Dawn who had been teary eyed all evening finally went to bed exhausted. Giles should have tried to sleep, but there was something nagging at his mind. Something about what Xander had said, calling Buffy, Sleeping Beauty. Beauty and the Beast. Another fairy tale. Sleeping Princesses, a beast tamed by love, somehow Buffy’s situation had a fairy-tale feel to it. Suddenly remembering The Gentlemen, Giles went into his study and dug up his ancient book of Fairy Tales. These were not the Disneyfied stories, but were darker and more gruesome. As he turned the pages he was startled to see an old woodcut illustration of a beast with long claws, just as Buffy described. The name under the drawing, and the story that followed was called, "Rufus and Leora." Rufus! Wasn’t that the name Buffy wanted to call the beast? Could she have been unconsciously giving him the answer all along? With shaking hands, Giles turned the pages, his eyes almost too weary to read the old print.

The story was about evil Prince Rufus, who was turned into a fell beast for his cruelty to women. He was destined to remain this way until he met a woman who was stronger than he. Princess Leora was such a woman. Because she had no brothers she was trained to be a hunter and athlete. But she could find no man to love her, because the men in those days feared her strength. One day while she was out walking with her bow on her back, Rufus attacked her. She couldn’t reach her bow in time so she fought him with her knife, but Rufus’ long claws were deadly and hurt her badly before she was able to stab him in the heart. She ran for home, but her footsteps became slower and slower until she reached her beloved garden and she stopped... frozen into a marble statue, her arms outstretched toward her parents, who had run to greet her. What happened was that Rufus’ claws were poisoned and Leora should have died. But Leora was beloved by her family, and when she saw them, their love turned the poison into an enchantment instead. Unfortunately, her parents now had a statue instead of a daughter. They called in every magician from far and near, but none could break the spell. Leora’s parents soon died of broken hearts and their castle was abandoned. For many years Leora stood there while the garden grew wild around her.

One day a young Prince came riding by and saw her. He thought that she was merely a statue and admired its realism and beauty. He wished with all his heart that he could find a woman as strong and fearless as she appeared to be. And the loving look on her face as she reached out to her parents he felt was directed at him. Foolishly, he fell hopelessly in love with her but he was a Prince and had duties at home to perform. He couldn’t live in this garden forever, and the statue could not be moved from its spot. He knew that he had to leave. But before he went he had to do one thing. He stepped into the embrace of those open arms and kissed her marble lips. Imagine his surprise when the marble turned warm under his lips and Leora became a real girl once more. He asked her name, and she said, "Leora." She asked his and he said, "Prince Rufus the Third." His Grandfather had been restored to life when Leora had stabbed him all those years ago, and the cycle was complete. They lived happily ever after.

Giles closed the book, his mind in turmoil. Where was a bloody handsome prince when you needed one? There weren’t even any knights of Byzantium still hanging about. Giles thought... fairy tales always feature handsome Princes, but did Rufus *have* to be a prince to break the spell? In Sleeping Beauty, the Prince saw the sleeping girl and fell in love with her. He kissed her, and... no... the secret was love. Love had kept Rufus’ claws from poisoning Leora, and love had set her free in the end. Well... he had love... but would it be enough?

Giles approached Buffy, his mind full of questions. Had his feelings for Buffy actually prevented the poison from killing her? How much truth did these tales contain? He looked at her face, so beautiful and serene. If this last hope didn’t work he would call the Watcher’s Council tomorrow. It was only right that they somehow call a new Slayer. He knelt down beside her bed.

"Buffy. This is probably the most foolish thing I have ever done. But I am desperate. I can’t lose you my darling. I know that I am not young, handsome or remotely a Prince. If I could find one for you, I would. If I could be fifteen years younger, I would. If I could be an appropriate match for you I would, but I can’t do any of these things. All I can do is love you with all my heart and hope that you will continue to feel affection for me, as you have all these years. I hope that you will never know of my feelings. But this I must do." He stood up and bent over Buffy’s still form and kissed her cold hard lips.

Instantly a shock went through him, as those lips became warm and resilient under his. Good Lord, she was kissing him back! He pulled away, joy and embarrassment warring with his emotions. Her arms came up and pulled him back into her embrace. She was crying and beaming at him lovingly. "Giles, oh thank God! You saved me! You have no idea what it was like! I couldn’t move a muscle, but I could hear and think and hope desperately that somebody would save me. Oh God, Giles." He held her for a long moment. He knew he should call Dawn and ring the others, but he couldn’t bear to share Buffy with any of them right now. Wait. Did she say she could hear?

"Buffy... I, uh." He got up and went and sat in the chair near Buffy’s bed, where he had spent most of the last 3 days.

"Giles... it’s okay. " Buffy stood up and stretched. God, it felt good to move again. "Giles, I’ve done a lot of thinking the last three days. I certainly wasn’t able to do anything else." She sat down on the bed facing him. "Giles, listen to me. One day my mother was twirling around, showing off her new dress; the next day she was dead! One night I go out on a routine patrol and the next thing I know I come this close to spending eternity as a pigeon roost! My life is going to be short, Giles. At 21, I’ve already broken all the records! I’ve decided that I want it all, Giles, marriage, children, a family, and I want it now. I don’t want to wait any longer. So... are you game?"

"What? Uh, me? "

"Why not you? Has it ever been done before? A slayer marrying her watcher?"

"Well, actually," Giles looked embarrassed, "there have been quite a few instances. But these were mostly in the days when girls married at 15 or 16. Sometimes their watchers married them, because it was their only financial protection in a feudal society. But there hasn’t been a case in over 100 years. Things have become much more professional. In fact, as you recall, I was once fired as your watcher, because my feelings for you were considered too personal. I-I have done some research on the subject."

"I see. Well, then I guess we’ll have a fight on our hands."

"Buffy. Why could you possibly want to marry me? I am way too old for you. Though I am younger than Michael Douglas."

"Giles... do you really think that you’ve been hiding your feelings from me all these months? You may think you’ve been all British reserve and fatherly concern, but I could see right through you. I just didn’t know how to break through and get you to actually admit how you felt."

"Well, this was a brilliant plan. I commend you."

Buffy laughed. "Right. Like I would actually *plan* to spend three days in this ratty bathrobe! God knows what I must look like."

Giles said simply, "You have never looked more beautiful."

"Well, I can’t say the same for you Giles. You look like death warmed over. What have you been doing these last three days besides sitting here talking to me?"

"That’s pretty much it."

"I was afraid of that. We’ll have to get some food into you. And me too... I’m starving, come to think of it. But first you have to answer my question. Will you marry me, Giles?"

"Buffy. If you really want me to do this, and take on the Council of Watchers, not to mention your friends... and have you even *thought* of them and their reaction? Well, you are going to have to give me something more than ‘I want a home and family’. You’ve got a home and family. A husband is a different thing entirely."

"I know Giles. And I know what you’re asking. You know I’ve always loved you but do I love you like a husband? I don’t know. I think I could. I am certainly willing to try. I won’t hold back. I’ll give this everything I’ve got. Is that enough, Giles?" She took his hands and looked into his eyes. "I know it won’t be easy. And my friends may even be worse than the Council! But I’m the Slayer and you’re the Ripper. We can defy them all!"

"Well then. I guess we’ll have to give it a go, won’t we?" he stood up and pulled Buffy up to her feet.

Dawn woke up to hear voices coming from Buffy’s room. She listened. One of the voices was definitely Buffy’s! She was alive! She was back! Dawn hopped out of bed and ran into Buffy’s room. She threw open the door and there was Buffy alive and well and... and... and she and Giles were... kissing?

"Ewwww!" Said Dawn!

Round One had begun.

 

Chapter 4 - May 2006

It had been an epic battle, Buffy thought, staring into her untouched glass of wine. Everybody opposed our marriage. But we proved them all wrong, didn’t we? We had 4 years of happiness, and Emily Joyce. Strange, despite our age difference, I always thought that I would go first... but here I am still alive, and Giles is... dead. Buffy looked around. The crowd had thinned a little, but people were still crowding the small living room of the house she and Giles had bought two years ago. Xander and Willow had been hovering over her all afternoon, and she had finally sent them away to get something to eat and leave her alone before she screamed. The funeral had gone well, and there seemed to be plenty of food, thanks to the gang. So many people had come. Customers of the Magic Box, and the Espresso Pump… even Angel, Cordy and Wesley had come from LA. The Council of Watchers was here in full force, bloody hypocrites! Now that Giles was dead, they were acting like he was a hero. A little of that support might have been nice while he was alive, thank you very much. She wiped a tear from her eye, as she watched them huddled around the buffet table. She looked into her wineglass again watching the light refract off the liquid. Suddenly, a man was standing before her. She saw polished shoes, an elegant charcoal gray suit. She looked up into a pair of blue eyes under a mop of curly golden brown hair. He looked so familiar but... those cheekbones... the glint in those eyes... My God!

"Spike? Is that you?"

"Hello Buffy."

"I almost didn’t recognize you. You look so… different."

"It’s been a long time. Uh... Sorry to hear about Giles. He and I weren’t exactly best friends but, well, he took me in when they chipped me, and I’ve always respected him."

"Thank you, Spike."

"Actually, I go by William these days. Spike is just my professional name."

"Professional name! Yeah, I heard that you were a hotshot New York detective these days."

"That’s right. Here’s my card." He took out his wallet and extracted a business card.

"Whoa. You have an actual wallet? With actual money in it? "

"Of course… I’m pretty near legit these days. Surprised?"

"Shocked." Buffy looked at the card, smiling at the logo. "Big Bad Investigations?"

"Just the usual thing... fighting demons, rescuin’ damsels in distress, getting’ kittens out of trees, you know."

Buffy raised her eyebrows. "Sneaking around getting evidence on unfaithful wives."

"Well... yeah. Part of the job description. Pays the rent. But I much prefer the demon fighting part."

"I’ll bet." She looked up at him curiously. "Is *that* your natural hair color?"

William looked down at Buffy’s artfully streaked hair. "Is that *yours*?"

Buffy gave a little snort of laughter, much to her surprise and chagrin.

"You know, believe it or not, I actually missed your banter."

"Well, that’s encouragin’. That your tadpole over there?" He indicated a small blonde girl who was playing Legos in the corner with a slightly bigger boy.

Buffy smiled fondly. "Yes that’s Emily Joyce. With Alex Harris. They’re inseparable."

"She looks like you." Suddenly Emily whacked Alex over the head with the building they were working on. He started to cry and both children were quickly spirited away by Anya over to the buffet table. "Yep... she’s your daughter all right! And little sis is going to Berkley?"

"She didn’t want to live at home. She’s doing very well. She’s over there talking to Xander."

"I saw her. Actually, she’s the one who invited me in. She’s grown up to be real pretty. And she’s still just a normal kid? No more of that key stuff?"

"Well, so far we haven’t come upon any Dawn shaped locks. So I guess she’s as normal as any kid who wants to be an actress. An actress…can you believe it?"

"Well, she’s got the looks for it. If she comes to New York, have her look me up. I know some people in the theater."

Buffy looked incredulous. "*You* know people in the theater! You really expect me to tell her to look you up? " Buffy shook her head.

"New York City’s a dangerous place. Wouldn’t you feel better knowing that the nibblet was being watched over by Big Bad Spike?"

"You just get *that* thought right out of your mind, Spike!"

"What’s the matter? Jealous?" Buffy glared at him and William suddenly remembered that this was her husband’s funeral. "Sorry, pet. Force of habit. Uh… You know I fought a Fyarl demon the other day that reminded me of Giles."

Buffy shook her head with a sad smile. "I remember that. God, I almost killed him with a letter opener. Luckily it wasn’t real silver."

"Yeah, I had to kill mine with a cake server. There aren’t many silver weapons out there. It’s too soft a metal."

"Well, you could have used silver bullets I suppose."

"Well, yeah, but first you have to know that you are going to be dealin’ with a Fyarl, and then you have to get the bullets, and a gun to shoot 'em with... I don't use guns much, as a rule."

"In the book, ‘It’, they shot the monster with a slingshot and a silver button."

"A slingshot. Not a bad idea, Slayer." William smiled. It was so good to talk shop with a fellow professional.

"Uh oh. Here come Xander and Willow. Beware. Xander is in full protecto-mode."

Xander walked over to Spike. "Well, well, well, if it isn’t Spike, as I live and breathe. And you don’t."

"Hello Xander. Willow." Spike said mildly.

Xander took in William and his new look. "That’s some suit. What did you do, eat the undertaker? "

"Actually I went right for Georgio Armani himself. He was yummy."

Xander bristled. "Still got your chip?"

"Think I would tell *you* if I didn’t? "

Willow interceded. "Xander!" she said in a loud stage whisper, "remember where we are."

William and Xander both looked at Buffy, who glared at them.

"Sorry, Buffy."

"Sorry, Buff."

Willow said, "I think you look terrific, Spike. Cordy said that you were doing very well in New York."

"So you two have been talking about me, huh? How’s the adoption deal goin’? "

"What? Has news of that traveled all the way to New York? It’s not going. We’ve been on a waiting list for almost two years now."

"Oh. Reason I ask is I know some people at an agency who kinda owe me a big favor. I could put in a word for you. Here give me a call." He gave Willow one of his cards.

Xander said, "So is this a legitimate agency, or are these babies stolen or something?"

"Well, they were stolen, actually, by a demon but I got ’em back! Which is *why* they owe me the favor." William retorted.

"Thank you so much, Spike," said Willow. "I've got to find Tara." She left.

Buffy stood up and looked at William coldly. "So who are you now, Santa Claus? You have connections in the theater. You have connections at the adoption agency. Tell me, do you have connections with the Powers That Be to bring back my husband?" With that, she walked away into the crowd.

Xander spoke angrily, "So why did you have to come back, anyway, Spike?"

"I heard that you were teaching a course in manners, and wanted to take it. Excuse me, Xander. This has been pleasant, but I think I’ll go mingle." Spike strode off towards Dawn.

Spike stood a little apart from the group of mourners, observing them. He had spoken to Angel, Cordy and Wesley before they left to go back to LA. It was good to see them again. He looked down at the glass in his hand. When his old pal Dracula had said, "I don’t drink—wine," he sure knew what he was talkin’ about, Spike thought. Insipid stuff. He hardly ever drank hard liquor anymore, but would have loved a good beer. But it didn’t suit the image. Or the suit. He smiled to himself as the Council of Watchers hit the buffet table like a plague of locusts. Didn’t anyone feed them in England? He had spoken to most of them and not one of them recognized him, even that silly twit who had written her thesis on him. She was batting her eyes at him right now, the silly cow, looking for an excuse to come over. He ducked out of her way, only to run into Buffy who was emerging from the bathroom, her eyes red from crying.

When William had decided to come here, he had wondered how he would react to seeing Buffy again. He knew that after five years his feelings for her might have changed and he feared being disappointed. But as soon as he saw her, in her rumpled black suit, her eyes red and her hair disheveled, he knew that nothing had changed. He still thought her the most beautiful woman on earth and still loved her as much as ever. Of course he had managed to screw it up again. But at least she hadn’t tried to stake him yet.

 "Buffy, you okay?" He figured he might as well give it one more shot.

"I’m okay, Sp-William. I didn’t mean to snap at you back there. This has been a long day."

"I know. I’m really sorry, pet."

"When do you go back?"

"Tomorrow night. Flying works if I take the red eye. The hard part is when I land, I have to hang around the airport all day, before I can get a cab."

"Where are you staying?"

"The Bates Motel, or whatever it’s called. You know the one."

"That ratty place? Where Ethan stayed and Faith? I don’t think your suit would approve."

William chuckled. "Okay... I guess the suit was a bit over the top. I forgot how casual it is here in California."

"Anyway. I don’t have a spare room at the moment, what with Dawn back and all, but if you wouldn’t mind the couch, you could stay here."

"Are you sure, Buffy?"

"Absolutely. Giles took you in once and you came, all the way from New York. I do appreciate it, despite how I’ve acted. I really want you to stay."

"Thanks, Buffy. And I don’t mind the couch."

"Unless, of course, you’d prefer the bathtub?"

"Only if you still have that Kiss The Librarian mug."

"Uh... You do still have that chip, don’t you?"

Spike sighed. "Yes, Buffy, I still have the chip. I’ve pretty well come to consider it a permanent addition."

Buffy looked at Spike’s face. When he wasn’t being all attitude, he looked almost like a little boy. It suddenly occurred to Buffy that Spike probably hadn’t been all that old when he was changed, maybe even younger than she was now. Why had she never noticed that before? Spike looked at her curiously.

"I am still trying to picture you with an actual apartment. I suppose you have one of those sleazy bachelor pads with a round revolving bed and mirrors on the ceiling!"

"Actually, I don’t but it’s not a bad idea. Especially the mirror bit... I bet that would be *real* interesting!"

Buffy suddenly got what Spike meant. She started to laugh. She laughed so hard that the tears came to her eyes. William saw Xander headed their way, thinking that Buffy was hysterical. William quickly pulled Buffy to his shoulder, and patted her head awkwardly, saying "There, there, Buffy…it’s alright. Let me get you into the kitchen and get you some water." He smirked at Xander as he led Buffy to the kitchen.

Once there, Buffy had sobered. "Thanks William. Xander means well, but if he saw me laughing, I would never have heard the end of it." She looked at William. "How could I have laughed like that? You must think I am awful. I loved Giles, you know. I miss him so much. He’s been a part of my life since I was fifteen years old. "

"Buffy, love, laughin’ is good for you. And I’ll never tell."

"I think people are finally starting to leave. I’d better go say goodbye."

It was late afternoon, and he had been asleep on Buffy’s sofa. William opened his eyes and saw a small face staring into his, an elfin face with a mop of blonde hair. Seen up close, she looked so much like her mother, that William was totally enchanted.

"Hello, tadpole," he said.

"Hello. Are you Willyum? " She regarded him solemnly.

"Yes. I used to be a friend of your Mum’s." Well, that was stretching it a bit.

"Why are you still sleeping? It’s after lunchtime already. Are you sick? My daddy was sick. And now he’s dead. "

"I’m sorry Emily. I used to know your Daddy too, a long time ago."

"Why did you call me a tadpole? Tadpoles are baby frogs."

"Oh. I guess I thought that you were a baby frog."

Emily giggled. "I am a baby frog. Watch." She hopped around the room.

"Well, then I was right, wasn’t I?"

"Can you read me Sam I am?" She produced a large green book from under the sofa.

When Buffy peeked into the living room a few minutes later to see if William was up yet, she was astounded to see him reading ‘Green Eggs and Ham’ to her daughter.

"I see that Emily has found you. I’m sorry about that. I told her to leave you alone. Are you hungry? I see you left some of your, uh, special food in the fridge."

"She’s not a problem pet. And I’ll be in as soon as we finish the story. Never read this one. Got to find out how it ends."

Emily said, "You have special food? Can I have some?"

"You wouldn’t like it, pet. Besides... as a tadpole you have to eat baby frog food. Maybe we’ll get you some of these green eggs and ham."

Emily giggled. Buffy went back into the kitchen shaking her head in amazement. Was this the same Spike who had tried to kill her so many times? Was he just sucking up to her for some nefarious purpose? But what? Surely he had gotten over his obsession with her. That was years ago. Angel had moved on, surely Spike had also. Could five years really have changed him that much? She saw much of the old Spike in his interaction with Xander, but Xander had started it. Giles had once suggested that Spike’s chip, by keeping him from killing, had made it possible for him to consider a different way of life. He was certainly unique. Right now he was wearing the jeans and sweater that he had slept in, and looked downright human. Buffy yawned. She actually felt almost human herself this morning. She had gone to bed as soon as the company had left, leaving the gang to clean up. She had expected to lie awake all night, as she had for the previous three nights, but had fallen asleep almost immediately. Thank goodness. She had so many things to face like insurance, pensions, hospital bills, The Magic Box - which Giles had owned with Anya - plus the problems of raising Emily on her own. She was going to need all her strength.

As William drank his mug of blood fresh from the microwave, he looked around the small kitchen. Somehow he couldn’t picture Buffy cooking or doing domestic type things. We’ve both changed a lot in the last five years, he thought. This isn’t the feisty girl who gave me such a run for my money. This is a woman who has faced things most people never see in a lifetime, and has not only survived but has triumphed. No Slayer had ever lived as long as she had. No Slayer had ever had a child. He thought of Emily hopping around the living room and smiled. He would have loved to see Buffy at that age. He sobered at the thought. If he *had* seen her in those days he would have eaten her for breakfast, not read her a story.

Buffy came in. "I’m sorry I left you guys to clean up last night. I was so exhausted. I hope Xander didn’t give you too hard a time."

"Nah... We bonded while loading the dishwasher."

"I wish I could have seen it. Just the image of you loading a dishwasher is beyond my comprehension."

"I might say the same about you, Slayer. Don’t remember you bein’ all Betty Crocker."

"Very true. I learned a lot while my mother was sick though and, after Giles took us in, I learned a lot more. I can actually cook now."

"Yes. You warmed up this blood like a pro."

She shook her head. He was incorrigible... "So when do you leave?"

"As soon as the sun sets I have to leave to get to LA in time for my flight. Have to return the rental car. I should be able to make it. Listen, Buffy. You got email?"

"Doesn’t everybody? I don’t use it much though. Giles was always hopeless with computers. Ours is kind of a big paperweight."

"Well, give me your address. I’d like to keep in touch, uh, if that’s okay with you. "

She considered. "I guess that would be okay. But don’t expect much from me. I’m not a letter writer, and my life is going to be very hectic for a while. The Council is giving me a hard time about Giles’ pension and…" She suddenly began to cry. "I’m sorry. I forget for a moment that he’s dead, and then it hits me…"

"It’s okay, Buffy." He felt helpless before this kind of grief. Had he ever felt like this about anyone? The closest he had ever come was when Joyce had died. And his father, when he was 15. He wanted to hold her, but didn’t dare. They had actually talked like friends, and he didn’t want to spoil it. He patted her shoulder and left her weeping in the kitchen and went looking for Emily and Dawn. It was getting late and he had to say goodbye.

Back to Chapters 1-2

Continue to Chapters 5-7

Back to Authors G-L

Back to Fan Fiction