"Saving Forever"

Author: Michelle
Email: michellabella52478@yahoo.com
Notes: This story won't be as long as the previous one, but I hope you enjoy it just as much. A big thanks goes out to everyone who has sent me such positive feedback for "The One I Waited For" and for all those who requested a sequel. This is it. Sort of.

1

2

3

December 15, 2002

"Are you getting excited?" Willow asked.

Buffy pushed the straw around her soda cup, not really paying attention to what her best friend was asking. "What did you say, Will?"

"I asked if you were getting excited."

"About the wedding? Of course I am. I'm looking forward to it. Geoffrey's great."

Willow shook her head. "I'm not talking about the wedding. I mean Angel."

"What about him?"

She gave Buffy a dirty look. "Don't play dumb, Buffy. It's been over two years since you two have seen each other. You've got to be pretty excited about it."

Buffy had a faraway look in her eyes. She could still see Angel's face clear as day. Her mind wandered to the last time they'd laid eyes on each other. The night before he left for Cleveland, he'd dropped her off at home, they said their good-byes and shared a long hug. They promised to keep in touch through letters and phone calls.

"Do you really have to leave?" Buffy asked.

Angel nodded. "I'm sorry. But we both need time to grow up. We're not mature enough yet."

"I don't want you to go. You're leaving because of those mean things I said to you. Well, I take them back! I didn't mean them, I never did. Don't leave because of that," she said with tears running down her cheeks.

"Maybe if you'd said that two weeks ago, things could have been different. I don't have a choice now. It has to be this way."

"No, it doesn't. We can make it work. Please!" Buffy begged him.

He frowned. "Don't do this, Buffy. We need this time apart."

"You're being a jerk about all this. We're meant to be together, can't you see that?"

"I used to think that, but I'm not sure. I don't know what I see anymore."

Buffy closed her eyes and opened them again. "Nothing I say is going to change your mind, will it?"

"No."

"How am I supposed to live without you?" she asked, tearing up again.

"You'll move on. You did it before."

"And it was hell!" she shouted. "I can't move on, I won't. I'll wait for you, Angel. When you come back, I'm going to be here waiting. I'd wait forever for you."

He touched her cheek, wiping the tears away with his pointer finger. "Don't save forever for me, Buffy. I want you to be happy, and if you find that happiness with someone else, don't give up on it because of me. Promise me that much."

"I'm not promising that. You are the only man who can make me happy. Don't you know that by now?"

"You'll always have my love. A part of my heart will forever belong to you. But when I'm gone, I don't want you to give up on love. Maybe I was just a stepping stone to something bigger and better," Angel told her.

"Don't say that! I love you. I could never love another man like I love you."

"Don't make this harder than it already is, Buffy. Please."

'He's making it sound like he's never coming back.' "Am I ever going to see you again?" Worry filled her voice.

Angel didn't know how to answer. He couldn't make promises to her that he might not be able to keep. On the other hand, he hated that he was breaking her heart. It hurt. "I hope so. But we will still keep in touch. I'll write and call."

"Like friends do."

"That's what we are."

Buffy shook her head. "We'll never be friends. We've been through too much to just be friends; shared too much. You are the only man I've ever cared about. Some of the happiest times of my life have been with you. We went to my Prom together, your high school reunion, survived meddling family and friends. Survived your mother and that bitch Nicole trying to break us up. Angel, we made love for the first time with one another, we had a baby! You and I can't be just friends after all that."

"There's no other way."

"Yes there is. Stay."

"I told you, I can't. Buffy, you don't know how much I've thought about this. I spent weeks weighing my options, thinking about those very things you just said. I want so badly to be with you, but it can't happen. Not now. We started out as friends and I'd like to start there again. Maybe it'll make us stronger in the end. But I'm not changing my mind about leaving. And I can do so with or without your friendship. I'd prefer to leave with it."

Buffy saw that there was no way to change Angel's mind. He could be just as stubborn as her. "Do you promise to call? And write me every week?"

"You have my word."

She threw her arms around him, holding on as if she'd never let him go. Feeling his arms around her felt like she'd finally come home from a long journey, if only for a short while, and it made her cry. Angel whispered in her ear not to, but she couldn't help it. She was about to lose her one true love because of her own stupidity.

Buffy brought her lips to his neck, kissing the exposed flesh gently. It was something she missing doing – tasting the sweetness of his olive-toned skin. So warm and smooth; she knew he had been put on the earth especially for her. No one else would love him as she did; no other woman could. Angel was truly hers, body and soul.

He pulled out of her embrace, looking down at her. Could he really leave her? He didn't have a choice. Bending down, Angel brushed his lips against hers. Their last kiss was sweet; he only wanted to have one last reminder of her kisses.

"I'm going to love you forever," Buffy said after their embrace broke apart.

"Me, too," he agreed. "I have to go now."

Buffy nodded. "Okay." She tried hard to keep from letting her tears spill out, biting her lip while her jaw quivered.

Angel paused for a few moments, gazing at her. He wanted to memorize her face, her every valley and curve. Every last detail had to be etched in his mind. "Good-bye, Buffy."

"Good-bye, Angel."

He turned and walked to his car. As he pulled out of the driveway, Angel couldn't bring himself to look at Buffy, standing on the front porch. It was too hard to see her standing there staring at him as he left her. Tears clouded his vision, but he moved forward.

Buffy watched him drive away into the night. When he had driven out of sight, she broke down and cried, collapsing on the steps. \\

"I am. But I'm really nervous about it," Buffy divulged to her best friend. "What if I've changed too much? What if he's changed? What if he doesn't feel anything for me anymore?"

"That's not true and you know it. Didn't he say that he can't wait to see you?"

She nodded her head. "Yeah. But it's been two years. Maybe we don't have anything in common anymore."

"Of course you do. You'll always have something in common, Buffy."

"Sometimes I wonder."

Willow took a sip of her coffee. "When does his plane come in?"

"Tomorrow night at seven-thirty. Geoffrey's picking him up at the airport while Mom and I are getting our final fittings."

"And he's staying in your spare room?"

"Uh-huh. Right next to my bedroom. Somehow, I don't think it's a coincidence, either."

Willow laughed. "Me neither. Buffy, can I ask you something stupid?"

"What?"

"Do you want him back?"

Buffy shot her friend a look. "You're right, that was a stupid question. You know I do, Will. I'd do anything to be with Angel again."

"You haven't been out on a date since Angel left. You've been waiting for him to come back, haven't you?"

"He's the only man for me; the only one I'll ever love. This could be our second chance. And I'm not about to let this opportunity pass me by."


She closed the back door quietly behind her. Buffy knew her mother and Geoffrey were in the dining room going over last-minute wedding preparations. It had crept up on them so fast; the wedding was in only four days.

Hearing their voices, Buffy headed toward the dining room to let them know she was home. She stopped in the doorway when she heard what they were talking about.

"Is he bringing Megan?" Mrs. Summers asked her fiancee.

"He didn't say."

"If he's bringing her, maybe it's not a good idea to have Angel stay here."

Geoffrey sighed. "I don't want to see Buffy hurt any more than you do, but you have to remember that we invited him to stay here. And if Megan does come, we cannot take back our promise."

Buffy entered the room. "Who's Megan?" she demanded.

Mrs. Summers glanced up, surprised. "Buffy, honey. I didn't even hear you come in."

"I just got home. Who is Megan?"

"Sweetie—"

"Mom, tell me."

Geoffrey patted Mrs. Summers' hand. "Buffy should know, Joyce. It'll be better if she finds out from us rather than be shocked tomorrow."

She nodded. "You're right, Geoffrey."

"Well?" Buffy asked. "Who is she?"

"Honey, Megan is Angel's girlfriend."


Buffy swallowed, exhaling the breath she didn't realize she'd been holding. "Girlfriend?" she repeated softly. A lump formed in her throat.

"Yes. I am sorry you had to hear about it like this, Buffy. I'm sure Angel wanted to tell you that himself," apologized Geoffrey.

She looked down. "Yeah right. How-how long have they been dating?" Buffy didn't want to imagine her Angel in the arms of another woman, telling her he loved her, making love to her, waking up beside her in the morning. 'This is some kind of a cruel joke. It isn't happening. Angel wouldn't do that to me, he loves me.'

"Buffy…" Mrs. Summers started. Her daughter was hurting and she wished she could take the pain away. Only one person could do that, and he wasn't around.

"Don't you think I deserve to know?" Buffy cried. "Tell me. I want to know…I need to know."

Mrs. Summers didn't have the courage to speak. Geoffrey had to tell her. "Since last Thanksgiving."

Buffy did the math. "A year?"

"Yes."

"No," Buffy said, tears in her green eyes. "No!" She turned on her heel, running out the front door into the night.

Buffy wanted to run away from reality, far away to where her every dream would come true. If it were possible, she would have run back to the past, to May of 1999 when her life had been perfect. When Angel belonged to her, when she had his love. They were so happy and carefree, enjoying the feeling of being loved and in love. It was intoxicating, but Buffy had sobered up upon learning that the man she loved was in love with someone else.

Half a block away, she dropped to her knees on the side of the road. Her elbows resting on her thighs, head in her hands, Buffy sobbed. This was far worse than when she and Angel shared their goodbye two years ago. At least then she held hope that he'd return to her, professing that he couldn't live without her. But now that seemed like a pipe dream.

Angel was finished with her. He no longer wanted to share his life with her; he had his own life now. With Megan. Buffy hadn't even met her and she hated the woman already. All because this Megan had the one thing she wanted more than anything – her Angel. 'He's been with her a year now. We were only together for eight months. What is it about her that made him stay? What does she have that I don't?' Buffy wanted to die right here. 'When did Angel fall out of love with me? And why didn't he tell me that he found someone else?'

A warm hand touched her shoulder. With her blurred vision, Buffy saw Geoffrey crouching down next to her. "Please, Buffy, come home. Your mother is worried. So am I."

"I can't. It'll be too hard, especially tomorrow. Maybe I'll just stay at Willow's or Cordelia's until after the wedding."

"We don't want that. And I know Angel wouldn't want that."

Buffy sniffled. "I don't think he'd even care. It's pretty obvious that I don't mean anything to him. I'm just some ex-girlfriend to him. He moved on and forgot about me."

"Angel still loves you very much."

"Sure he does. That's why he's with Megan."

"He does. Remember last Christmas when I visited him in Cleveland?" She nodded. "I saw him with Megan. She can't hold a flicker of a candle to you. He never looked at her the way he looked at you. He didn't have that look of utter love in his eyes when he looked at her. A man in love does not have portraits of his ex-girlfriend in his room. Hand-drawn portraits, Buffy. They adorn his spare bedroom like a shrine to you. You're still very much in his heart. Do you remember what you bought him for Christmas when he still lived here?"

"A crystal heart with our names engraved on it. It said BUFFY AND ANGEL FOREVER. I bought it before I went in the hospital," Buffy told him.

"Angel keeps it on the table next to his bed. There is no way he's over you, or has moved on. I know my son, and he can't move on. When he gave himself – his heart, body and soul – to you, he meant it. Megan may be someone he cares deeply about, but he doesn't love her. He loves you. Always has and always will."

She shook her head. "I used to think that until he left me."

"He'll be back tomorrow. It's apparent that you two need to talk about some things." Geoffrey helped her stand up, holding her about the waist as they walked back to her house.

"Geoffrey?"

"Yes, Buffy?"

She gave him a timid smile. "Do you think I can make him forget about Megan?"

"She'll be gone from his mind the moment he lays eyes on you. You've grown more beautiful since he left."

"You're sweet," she said, hugging her soon-to-be stepfather. "I just hope you're right."


"I think it's time we move in together," Megan Rafferty said to her boyfriend of over a year.

Angel stared wide-eyed at Megan. "I'm sorry, what did you say?" he asked.

She sighed. "Angel, we've been going out for a long time now. A year. I like to think it's been pretty good, you and me. We work well together, we get along, the sex is great, and I think it's time."

"Megan—"

"No. Don't start out a sentence like that, with that tone of voice. It's only right. It's the next step for us."

"Moving in together?" He raised his eyebrows.

Megan nodded. "Uh-huh." She sat down next to him on the bed, where he had been packing his suitcases for his trip to Sunnydale. "I know this is a lot to chew on right now. We can talk about it on the flight to California. I'm so excited about the trip."

"Excuse me?" He honestly didn't know what she was talking about.

"I'm coming with you."

Angel shook his head. "I'm going alone."

"Why? I want to meet your family."

"You've already met Geoffrey. Last Christmas, remember?" Angel reminded her.

"Yeah, I know. But I want to meet your stepmother. Don't you think it's time we all get together and meet?"

Angel bit his lip. It was time to do what he'd been putting off. "Meg, there's something I've been meaning to talk to you about."

"What is it?"

He blinked quickly. "I—I'm not being fair to you. This whole relationship isn't fair to you."

"Okay, I'm totally lost. What on earth are you talking about?"

"You're a great person, Megan, but you deserve to be with someone who can love you completely. I'm not that man, I can't be. And with me going back to Sunnydale, it'll only be more confusing for us."

Megan stared blankly at him. "Confusing how?"

"My feelings are all jumbled up right now. There's a girl back there that I left. I loved her, I still do," Angel admitted.

"You mean Betty? Or was it Barbie? It's a strange name, I know that much."

"Buffy."

Megan snapped her fingers. "That's it. Buffy. Your ex-girlfriend. It's been two years since you've seen her. How do you even know you'll still have any feelings for her if you do see her?"

"I don't need to see Buffy to know I love her."

"Don't you love me?" she asked sadly.

"I care about you, I love you, but not in the same way I love Buffy. My heart belongs to her."

She shook her head, unable to believe what she was hearing. The only man she'd remotely cared about in a long time was dumping her for a second chance with a girl who'd dumped him. If she weren't so angry, she might have laughed about it. "You can't do this to me. I loved you when she didn't. I've been here for you when she wasn't. And now you're leaving me for some ex-girlfriend?"

"Buffy isn't just some ex-girlfriend. She and I were engaged to be married. Things happened to us that you couldn't possibly comprehend. We went through a lot. I need to figure out how I feel about both of you."

"What are the chances you're even going to see her? You're only going to be in town for a week. And even if Sunnydale is a small town, you will be busy with the wedding."

"I know I'll see her."

Megan narrowed her blue eyes, flipping her dirty blonde hair over her left shoulder. "What are you going to do, hunt her down? Stalk her? The girl dumped you, she moved on, now get over it. You have the chance to move on with me. Angel, you said it yourself that you love me. We can make it work."

"Not when I have all these feelings for her. And seeing Buffy will make it clear to me," Angel explained. "I need to know how she feels."

"Maybe she left town and you won't see her," Megan said hopefully.

Angel shook his head. Megan was grasping at straws and he knew it. Not that he blamed her; if their roles were reversed, he'd be doing the same thing. "She still lives in Sunnydale. Geoffrey is marrying her mother."

She made a face. "She's going to be your stepsister? That is sick. You're in love with your soon-to-be stepsister! What happened, Geoffrey started seeing her mother and you decided to keep it all in the family?"

"Buffy and I were together long before Geoffrey met Joyce."

Megan stood up. "I thought we had a future together, Angel. But you are still obsessed with your past; you can't let go. Well, I'm not going to sit by while you choose between your past with Buffy and your future with me and decide which looks better. Let me make the decision for you. I'm sick of it. I hope you are very happy with her."

Angel watched as she walked out the door. He felt bad for hurting her, but it was for the best. There was no way he could commit to a relationship with Megan if there was a chance he could be with Buffy. Thinking back to his conversation with Buffy right before he left town, he realized she was right. They shared too much to ever be friends. He tried fooling himself into believing otherwise, but his feelings were as strong as ever. He still loved Buffy. And he wanted her back in his life.


Buffy sat on the couch next to Giles, flipping through his most recent entry in the Watcher Diaries. Even though she was no longer the Slayer, and swore to her mother that she was staying away from demon-hunting, Buffy couldn't keep away. While she no longer patrolled at night, she kept up on what was going on in the demon community. It was out of obligation that she helped Giles and Kristin.

In July of 2000, Nicole was killed while on nightly patrol. A master vampire known as Spike, or William the Bloody, found her in an alley fighting one of his childer. Obviously angered that the Slayer had been diminishing the numbers of his followers, Spike took matters in his own hands. He seduced the young girl back to his lair, knowing of her youth, sexual prowess and inexperience in detecting vampires. Holding her there for weeks, he used and abused her, finally culminating in him snapping her neck, but not before draining the blood from her broken and bruised body.

Giles asked Buffy to take Kristen under her wing and show the new Slayer some of her best moves. Buffy was more than happy to oblige. Within weeks, Kristen became like a little sister to her. They developed a strong friendship, and she would do anything for the younger girl, even let herself be drawn back into the world of slaying.

"How is Geoffrey doing? Is he getting anxious about the wedding?" Giles wanted to know.

Buffy nodded. "I think so. He doesn't like to show it often, but I'm pretty sure he's scared silly."

"It's understandable; he has never been married. His only experiences with love have been somewhat disastrous."

"Yeah, he told me all about his affair with Angel's mother. It's really sad. I'm happy for Mom and Geoffrey, they love each other."

Giles paused for a moment before bringing up the next topic of conversation. "While we're on the subject of the wedding, am I still accompanying you?"

"I don't have any other guys lined up to take me."

"Not even Angel?"

Buffy sighed. "He might already have a date."

"Who?"

"Megan. His girlfriend. I don't know for a fact that he's bringing her, though," Buffy informed her former Watcher.

Giles smiled apologetically. Finding out that Angel was seeing someone else must have hurt her horribly. "I'm sorry to hear that. You still have feelings for him, yes?"

"As strong as ever. I am hoping he and I will be able to work things out. And maybe by this time next week we'll be back together."

"I hope so, too. You and Angel belong together."

Buffy whole-heartedly agreed. "We certainly do. Now I just have to convince him. That is, if he's willing to give up his life with Megan for a life with me."

"He will. When does he come back?" Giles asked.

"In a couple of hours. His plane lands at seven-thirty."

"Are you going to be there, ready to greet him with open arms?"

Frowning, Buffy had to shake her head. "Alas, no. Mom and I have to go in for our dress alterations at seven. And considering how slow the guy is, we probably won't be back until nearly ten."

"That would be disappointing if you didn't see him until tomorrow. Is he staying with Geoffrey at the apartment?"

"No, at the house with me and Mom. He's taking over the spare bedroom until after the wedding."

"Will you find it uncomfortable to have him in the house?"

"If Megan comes, yes. Because the two of them will be sharing the room next to mine. But if he's alone, I don't know. I'll probably keep thinking about how he's only a few feet away and I'm not there with him. Although if we work things out, I don't think we'll be sleeping in separate rooms."

He removed his glasses. Giles did that when he felt uncomfortable. "Oh…yes, of course. You two have…well…"

"Slept together, Giles. You can say it. How else could I have gotten pregnant with his son?"

"Yes, yes, Buffy."

"I want to remind him of what he had, and what we can still have. I've tried the friend thing with him and you know what? It sucks. We can't be friends when we've already been lovers. It's way too hard."

"You have your mind set, I see," commented Giles.

"Damn straight. Angel is the only one for me. This time, nothing is going to stop us from being together. Nothing."


After a delay of an hour in Kansas City due to a snowstorm, Angel's plane arrived in Sunnydale at nine o'clock. The extended length of the flight gave him extra time to think about what he would say to Buffy when he saw her. He couldn't come right out and say that he wanted to be back in her life. Maybe she'd found someone else, but hadn't told him, much like he had done. With a great deal of thinking, Angel decided to wait until after the wedding to tell her his feelings. That way he'd know for sure.

Stepping out of the terminal carrying a small suitcase, he found Geoffrey standing on the other side of the metal detectors. When he made his way over, he hugged his adoptive father tightly. Angel could not help but be disappointed that Buffy wasn't there to greet him.

"It's been so long," Geoffrey said after they'd broken their embrace.

"I know. It is hard to believe that a year's gone by since you came to visit in Cleveland. How have you been? Are you holding up okay?"

Geoffrey laughed shortly. "Very nervous. You?"

"Good. Things have been going well for me."

"I'm happy to hear that. The Hellmouth keeping you busy?"

Angel smiled. "Very busy. Between teaching history last year to teenage kids who really don't care and trying to record my findings on the population status of demons on the Hellmouth, life hasn't been boring."

"And how is Megan doing? She couldn't make it?" Secretly, Geoffrey was thrilled that the woman hadn't come. Things would certainly be less awkward for all of them, particularly Buffy.

"She and I broke up."

"I'm sorry, Angel. I know you cared about her."

Angel shook his head. "No, you're not. You didn't like her, I could tell."

"I didn't know her very well. And she didn't strike me as being overly friendly either. I could tell you didn't love her like…"

He raised an eyebrow. "Like I loved Buffy? Like I still love Buffy? No, I didn't. That's not to say I don't care about Megan, but she never made me feel the way Buffy does. Whole, complete, and utterly happy. There weren't sparks or passion. It was more of a deep friendship with sex thrown in. But not all encompassing love."

"Are you going to tell Buffy all this?"

"I'm hoping I won't have to. She doesn't need to know about Megan. It's not as if I've told her about my relationship with her."

They walked to the baggage claim. "Angel, she knows."

He stopped dead in his tracks. "What do you mean, she knows?"

"She overheard Joyce and I talking last night. She demanded to know the truth, and we told her. I'm sorry."

"Great," said Angel, sarcastically. "What did she say? Did she care?"

"Yes, she did. I'll let you talk to her about it."

Angel tightly closed his eyes. "I can't face her now. Geoffrey, I'm still so much in love with her. And now I've hurt her."

"Don't give up so easily. You two can work it out."

"I want to. I was going to tell her how much I still love her after the wedding. God, I even sold my apartment the other day so I could move back here once I decided it's what I want, I quit my job at the beginning of the summer. Everything was all planned out and now it's all a mess again. I had every intention of getting Buffy to love me again and building a future with her here in Sunnydale. What am I going to do now? What does she think of me? Does she think I forgot about her? I could never forget about her and what we had."

Geoffrey put a hand on Angel's shoulder. "You only did what she did when you two broke up – you moved forward with your life. Now it's all coming full-circle for you two. If you love Buffy, don't wait. Tell her as soon as possible. And make her believe it."

"What if she laughs at me?"

"Angel, you're thirty-one years old. Aren't you a little old to be worrying about someone laughing at you?"

"Not when it's dealing with my love for Buffy. I'm like a teenager all over again."

Geoffrey smiled. "So I've noticed. But I wouldn't worry too much. I think you two have a good shot at a second chance."

"You think so?"

"I know so."


Buffy and Mrs. Summers returned home at eleven-thirty. Their fitting was completed at ten, but they stopped for something to eat afterward. During their meal, Buffy kept glancing at her watch to check the time. She was anxious to get home and see Angel.

The house was dark and silent when they entered. The only sound that could be heard came from the refrigerator as it buzzed. "Isn't he here yet?" Buffy asked.

Turning on the kitchen light, Mrs. Summers found a note on the table. "He's here. Angel left a note saying that he's tired and went to sleep early."

Buffy's face fell. "Oh."

"You'll see him tomorrow. I'm sure he's just jet-lagged from the flight. If it's any consolation, there doesn't seem to be any sign of Megan. Angel came alone."

She brightened up. "Good. I might have kicked her ass for thinking she could come here and stay at my house with my ex-boyfriend."

Mrs. Summers laughed. "Good night, Buffy. Get some sleep."

"Night."

Buffy walked up to her bedroom, passing by the spare room on her way. She paused in front of the door for a minute, listening for any sound. Hearing none, she went inside her room. Changing into a tank top and flannel shorts, Buffy climbed into bed. As she lay under the covers, she heard the sound of Angel's bed squeaking as he turned in his sleep.

"Good night, Angel," she whispered to the darkness that surrounded her. "I still love you."


At nine o'clock, Buffy's alarm went off, tearing her away from the wonderful dream she'd been having. She and Angel were in a hotel room, feeding each other strawberries and whipped cream. Such a simple act turned into a night of passionate lovemaking the likes of which they'd never experienced in reality. No words were spoken between them, they weren't needed. All they had to do was touch each other and that said it all.

She jumped out of bed, something she never did. On a normal day, Buffy would hit the snooze button for twenty minutes, but because she wanted to see Angel, she got right up. Dressing herself in her new blue jeans and a black blouse, brushing her long blonde hair straight down her back, she ran downstairs. The door to his room was ajar, so she knew he was awake.

Making her way into the kitchen, she found it empty. Another note lay on the table, Buffy immediately recognized Angel's sprawling script. Picking it up, she read it over, frowning as she did so.

Mrs. Summers and Buffy,

I apologize for not waiting up for you last night, but I was jet-lagged and exhausted from packing and settling affairs in Cleveland. It would have been great to have seen you both when I arrived. I've missed you terribly.

Unfortunately, it looks like we won't see each other until tonight at dinner. Geoffrey and I will be going to get my rental car, then get our tuxes fitted. There are several other things we need to take care of as well for the wedding, but they escape my mind this early in the morning. I made a fresh pot of coffee for you, I hope you don't mind. It's in the warmer. See you both tonight.

Angel

Closing her eyes, Buffy shook her head. Another missed opportunity; things weren't starting out right for them. 'This is the story of our relationship. Missed opportunity after missed opportunity. Can't anything ever go right for us or will it go on like this forever? Are we doomed to live like this?'

In the sink, Buffy saw a coffee mug sitting in there. It was the mug Angel used for his coffee that morning. She took it in her hand, running her index finger along the rim. All she wanted was something physical of his to touch, if she couldn't touch him.

"Morning, Buffy," her mother said.

Buffy nearly dropped the cup. "Hi," she replied quickly, replacing the mug back in the sink where she'd found it.

"What time did you get up?" asked Mrs. Summers.

"Fifteen minutes ago."

"Have you seen Angel?" A hopeful smile flashed on her face.

Buffy shook her head. "He and Geoffrey had to leave early to get some last-minute stuff done. He left another note. Are the four of us going out tonight for dinner?"

"Didn't I tell you? We're meeting them at Giorgio's at five-thirty."

"Giorgio's?" Buffy repeated.

"Yeah. What's wrong, don't you like that restaurant? Geoffrey and I have been there a few times and the food is excellent."

She gave her mother a smile. "It is. I -- Angel took me there for our first date."

"I didn't know he took you there."

"You were out of town that weekend. It was the day after Kevin and I broke up. Angel took me out to cheer me up."

"That's right, you did tell me. Remember to wear something nice."

"As if I'm going to look like some street beggar when I see Angel tonight. I don't think so. We haven't seen each other in two years, and I am going to knock his socks off." 'And other articles of clothing, too, if I can.'


After searching for two hours, Buffy found the blue sundress she wore the first time she and Angel went to the restaurant. She wanted to bring him back to that night three years earlier. 'That was the night we had our first kiss. I wonder if he remembers. Can we re-live history again tonight?'

"We have reservations under the name Kensington," Mrs. Summers told the hostess.

The young girl behind the stand smiled. "Yes, the rest of your party is already here. Please follow me."

She led Mrs. Summers and Buffy to the table. Geoffrey and Angel had their backs to them, so they didn't see the ladies approach. They stood up to greet them when they arrived, pleasant smiles on their handsome faces.

"Right on time," Geoffrey said.

Angel kept his brown eyes glued on his former fiancee. The two years that passed only enhanced her beauty. The dress she wore clung to her matured curves and accentuated her golden tan, despite the fact that it was mid-December. Her hair had grown since he last saw her, flowing four inches below her shoulders. One of the first things he noticed was that she no longer had a scar on her left cheek. 'Did she have it removed? Get plastic surgery and not tell me? Even with it, Buffy was beautiful. She'll always be beautiful to me.'

All those old feelings resurfaced. It was love at second sight. Angel knew, without having to second guess himself, he made the right decision in breaking up with Megan. There was no way he could have stayed with her after laying eyes on Buffy. He couldn't deny his heart.

'He's just as handsome as before,' thought Buffy. His hair had been cut shorter than she'd remembered, but still had his trademark spikes. She could not imagine him without them, they were so Angel. His upper arms were bigger, more muscular than they were before. She could tell, even through is white shirt, and Buffy wondered if it was because he'd been working out. Other than that, he hadn't changed a bit. On the outside, he was still the man she fell in love with. The man she still loved.

"Angel, how nice to see you again," Mrs. Summers said.

He nodded once. "Thank you. It's always wonderful to see you, Joyce." He shook her hand, then turned back to Buffy.

"Hi," Buffy said shyly.

Words escaped him for a moment. What could he say that wouldn't make him seem silly? He always seemed to turn into a bumbling idiot when she entered the room. "Buffy, hi." Instead of shaking her hand as he had her mother, he brought it to his lips, kissing the back of it. Buffy smiled at the touch of his lips on her.

They all sat down, but Buffy and Angel never took their eyes off one another. Geoffrey and Mrs. Summers shared a knowing glance; the two lovers were on their way to reuniting, they could feel it.

The waiter came by a few minutes later to take their order. He waited patiently while the group decided on what they wanted.

"Pasta alfredo with chicken and a caesar salad with extra dressing?" Angel asked Buffy.

She grinned. "You remembered." It was what she had ordered on their first date.

"I remember everything about you," he replied honestly.

Buffy blushed at his words. 'Was he trying to tell me something just now?' "The same goes for me."

After their orders were taken, they began a tentative conversation. "I'm sorry I couldn't make it to your graduation last weekend. There was this demon in Cleveland that kept my busy. If not for it, I would have been there for you. It was a big occasion and I'm upset that I missed it," Angel told her.

"I understand. Duty calls. How are things going in Cleveland? It's been awhile since we last talked on the phone."

"A month. It's okay, I guess. I'll be moving back here to Sunnydale to complete my book, though. I have to study the effects on the demon population in the area guarded by a Slayer." Angel made most of the story up. He couldn't tell her he was returning so he could be near her. He didn't want to come on too strong, or sound too pathetic.

"You're staying?" Buffy asked incredulously.

"For good."

She nearly jumped for joy. Things were finally working for her, for them. Now she had a good chance at being with him. 'I can't let this pass me by. I have to tell Angel how I feel. Tonight.'


"Angel, do you think you can give Buffy a ride home? I'm going to help Geoffrey pack up some more of his things and bring them to the house," Mrs. Summers asked.

"No problem. I have a quick stop to make on the way."

"Thank you so much."

Buffy walked with Angel to his rented Ford Explorer. Always the gentleman, he held the door open for her. Climbing in the driver's seat, he buckled his seat belt and started up the truck.

"You don't mind if we stop by the cemetery, do you?" he wanted to know. "I'd like to stop by and see the baby."

"Not at all. I haven't been there in a few weeks. Sometimes it's just too hard to be there, knowing what might have been."

Angel nodded. "I know what you mean."

They sat in silence for the remainder of the drive. While Angel concentrated on the road, Buffy looked out the window, watching the houses pass her by.

Angel helped her out of the truck once he put it in park near the grave. Taking her hand, they walked stoically to their son's grave. Bowing their heads, the two of them said a short prayer for the child they lost. Angel bent down to wipe away the dirt on the headstone.

"Gregory would be two and a half," Buffy said sadly.

"I know. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him, about what my life would be like if he'd lived."

"Me, too."

Buffy rested her head on his shoulder, and Angel pulled her into the comfort of his arms. For the first time in nearly three years, she felt safe and secure. His embrace was like home to her. Angel brushed away a few stray hairs from her cheek, tickling Buffy's skin with his fingertips. They lingered for a moment as their faces inched closer and closer. Slowly, their lips met in a soft, gentle, loving kiss that took them both by surprise.


"Do you think it worked?" Mrs. Summers asked Geoffrey when they reached his apartment twenty minutes later.

He nodded his head. "They're talking things out as we speak, I am willing to bet money on it."

"Are you sure? Megan's still a big part of the equation, and Angel might not want to patch things up with Buffy if he's with that other woman. I know I sound cynical, but I don't want to see him break my baby's heart again. She's had enough heartbreak in her life. Especially in the past few years."

"My son's not going to break her heart again, Joyce. He told me so."

"But what about Megan? He can't be with both of them at the same time. Don't get me wrong, I love Angel like he's my own son, but a long-distance relationship won't work, especially if he has a girl in each town."

"Megan is out of the picture," Geoffrey told his fiancee. "Angel broke up with her the other night. He's still in love with Buffy and couldn't commit to Megan if his heart wasn't in it."

Mrs. Summers still had doubts. Maybe Buffy and Angel were meant to be together, but she had serious doubts it would work out if they lived twenty five hundred miles away. "Angel's still living in Cleveland. They can't be together if they are living on different sides of the country. Something would have to give. Someone would have to give in and move to be with the other."

"That's why Angel is moving back to Sunnydale."

"When did this happen?"

"Apparently he's been thinking about it for a few months now. A few days ago he sold his apartment and once he finds a new one, he's going to send for his belongings. Angel wants so desperately to be with Buffy that he uprooted his life in Ohio to be with her."

Mrs. Summers smiled. "That's so like him to do something like that."

"Angel would give up everything he worked his entire life for to be with the woman he loves. All because he never thought he'd find her."

"Do you think they'll be able to work things out?"

"Hopefully, they already are."


Their lips met softly, almost unsure at first. They pulled apart slightly, but found their way back to each other a mere second later. As their tongues danced with each other in their mouths, their arms wrapped around one another. Buffy wound her arms around his neck, tickling the fine hairs on the back of his neck with her fingers. She ran them up and down, thrilled to be touching him like that again. Angel brought his hands to her cheeks, running them back through her hair. He tangled the long blonde tresses in his hands, then let them roam to her back. Angel had gone so long without feeling her, without touching her, that doing so overwhelmed him.

Angel pulled her closer to him, he didn't want to let an inch of space between them. Their kiss was so full of passion, full of love and so heated that neither wanted to tear themselves away. This was more of a reunion; the two of them re-declaring their love for one another. As much as he hated doing so, Angel had to break the kiss. They looked in each other's eyes in silence for a few moments.

"That was…" started Buffy, still dizzy from the kiss they'd shared.

"Amazing," Angel finished breathlessly.

"I didn't mean to do that. Honestly, I never planned it."

He couldn't take his eyes off of her. Her youth and beauty still astounded him, after all the time he'd spent away from her. "I didn't either. Not that I didn't want to, because I did, but not like that."

"Angel, I'm sorry. I really should not have kissed you like that. You're with Megan now and I know that. It was really stupid of me," Buffy said apologetically.

"It wasn't stupid, Buffy. I – I love kissing you. It's a pleasure and a privilege to do so. And Megan's not even in the picture anymore."

"What do you mean?"

"I broke up with her. It happened a couple days ago, right before I came back here."

"Long distance relationships don't exactly work out well, I suppose."

Angel shook his head. "That's not why I ended it with Megan. I didn't feel anything with her. Not like I felt with you."

Buffy raised her eyebrows. "Felt?"

"The kiss…maybe sub-consciously, I needed to know."

"Know what?"

He gave her a half-smile. "If I felt anything."

"Did you?" Buffy was suddenly worried.

Angel took her in his arms, kissing her once again. "Does that answer your question?"


Back at the Summers' house, Buffy and Angel sat next to each other on the couch. They'd been sitting there for minutes, not really saying anything.

"What's going to happen now?" Buffy asked.

"Well, what do you want to happen?"

"I know I don't want to be separated from you any longer. I told you I wouldn't move on and I didn't. There's nobody else in the world like you, nobody makes me feel the way you do. Nobody ever could."

"I don't want to be away from you either. And I feel the same way you do, no one makes me feel like you do. Utterly complete and happy. Like I don't have to worry about anything when you're around."

Buffy ran her tongue over her lips. "Not even Megan?"

He shook his head. "Never. That's not to say I don't care about her, but she's not you. She never could be, no matter how hard she tried."

"Did you…"

Angel raised his eyebrows, awaiting her question, even though he was sure he knew what Buffy was going to ask. "Did I what?"

She paused, biting her lip. "Did you sleep with her?"

It was the question he'd been expecting. He did not want to hurt her, but he couldn't lie to her either. "Yes," he answered honestly. When she didn't reply right away, he was afraid he'd ruined things between them. "Buffy? Are you okay?"

She nodded. "I asked, you answered. I wanted the truth."

"You were hoping for a different answer, weren't you?"

"Honestly, yes. But I slept with Riley, so I guess we're even."

He closed his eyes. "I didn't do it to even the score, Buffy."

"Was she better than me?"

Angel took her hands in his. "She didn't even come close. Didn't I tell you I could be with a million woman and none of them would ever compare to you? You're the best, the greatest person I've ever known. I love you, Buffy. That hasn't changed."

"I love you, too. That's why I didn't move on when you told me to. I never dated anyone after you left. Never even entertained the idea. Because I've always known you are the one. We're supposed to be together, I know that."

"That's why I came back."

Buffy looked at him. "Huh? I thought you came back to finish your book on the Hellmouth."

"I only told you that because I was afraid of you rejecting me. So I made up that story just in case you did, so I wouldn't seem so pathetic and desperate to get you back. My book is done, it has been for months. It was only an excuse until I could find out if we had a shot at being together. Do we?" he asked nervously.

Buffy climbed onto his lap, facing him with her knees on either side of his hips. "You know we do. That's a stupid question, Angel."

They kissed again, only this time, neither one of them pulled back. It heated to a fever pitch until Buffy and Angel could no longer control themselves. Their hands roamed endlessly over each others' bodies, craving the touch they'd nearly forgotten. Neither could get enough, so they clutched and grabbed and scratched at any skin they could find.

Buffy ground herself against him, trying to get even closer. She felt his arousal pressing against her, and she welcomed it. It had been so long since they were together intimately, and she wasn't about to let yet another opportunity pass them by. Taking the initiative, Buffy moved her hand from his chest to run her hand over him where he was pressing against her thigh.

"Not tonight, Buffy," Angel moaned.

"Why not? Why shouldn't we? We're back together, we still love each other, and I want to be with you."

"I just think we should take things slower. Buffy, we can't just hop back into bed right away. I want it to be special, perfect, just you and me. What if your mom comes home and we're…"

Buffy giggled at the imagery. "She'll understand. But if you want to wait, that's fine. Just don't make me wait too long. I might go crazy."

"Wouldn't want that. And I promise we won't wait too long. We should get to know each other again. Believe me, it's taking all my willpower not to carry you up to your room and make love to you all night long."

"I'm not going to stop you if you can't hold back."

"Not tonight," he repeated.

She solemnly nodded. "Okay. Would you at least hold me until I fall asleep? It's been so long since I fell asleep in your arms."

"Now that I can do."


When Mrs. Summers came back from Geoffrey's apartment at midnight, she saw her daughter laying asleep in Angel's arms. Smiling, she took a blanket out of the closet and covered them up. They looked so peaceful and contented, Mrs. Summers didn't have the heart to wake them up.

"You two are going to make it this time. I just know it," she whispered to the sleeping couple.


Moaning, Buffy slowly opened her eyes. 'Where am I?' she wondered, looking around. It was dark and quiet, and she felt strong arms around her slim waist. 'What's going on?' The arms around her tightened, the person laying with his chest against her back groaned.

"I love you," Angel whispered, thinking Buffy was still asleep.

She remembered falling asleep in his embrace, and feeling completely safe and protected. Only with Angel had she ever felt that way. She brought her hands to where his were grasped together. "I love you, too," she repeated.

From behind her, Angel kissed Buffy's hair. "You awake?"

"Uh-huh. Sort of," Buffy replied, yawning.

"This couch isn't really very comfortable," he commented. "I didn't expect to fall asleep here."

"Neither did I. Did you get the blanket for us? That was so sweet and thoughtful."

"It wasn't me. Wish I could take credit for it, but the sweet and thoughtful act wasn't mine. It was probably your mother when she came home."

Buffy rested her head on his shoulder. "I just thought it was something you'd do. But it doesn't make you any less sweet and thoughtful that you didn't."

"You know, I could stay like this forever, holding you all night. I almost forgot how wonderful it feels. I missed it."

"So did I. But my back isn't liking this couch any more than yours is. I need something softer," Buffy said.

Angel nodded. "We should probably go to our own beds, then. And get out of these clothes. Sleeping in a suit and tie isn't my idea of pajamas."

"Yeah, I miss my pajamas. They're comfy."

The two of them stood up, holding hands. Buffy led him up the stairs, and didn't let go of him until they were at the door to his room. "Night, Buffy."

She was disappointed. "Do I have to go back to my own bed? I want to sleep with you."

"You really want to?"

"Of course I do. Just let me change."

They went into their separate rooms. Buffy practically ripped her dress off, leaving it in a heap on the floor. 'I'll put it in the wash tomorrow. So what if it's a little wrinkled.' Opening her dresser drawer, she pulled out a short tank top and flannel pants. She wasn't dressing to impress him, but she wanted to show him that everything she was belonged only to him; that she was his and his alone. After she put them on, Buffy walked back to his room.

She knocked lightly on the door. "Angel?" she whispered loudly, but not enough to wake her mother across the hall. "Can I come in?"

The door opened, and Angel stood on the other side in his sweatpants. "Sure."

Whenever she'd entered the spare room, all she saw was an extra room with a bed and a dresser. But with Angel staying there indefinitely, it had a different feel to it. Suddenly, it was *his* room, and she felt it everywhere. His presence was everywhere.

"I hope I wasn't being too forward by asking if I could stay in here with you," Buffy said to him. "I didn't think I could sleep alone tonight."

Angel shook his head. "Not at all. The bed would have been empty and cold without you in it anyway."

He let her in, closing the door behind her. When Buffy looked at him, clad in only his sweatpants, she realized she'd almost forgotten how sculpted his chest was. His muscles were even bigger and more defined than the last time she'd seen him. 'Those arms held me almost all night. I'm surprised he didn't crush me with them, they are so big. No, Angel's always been gentle with me, never purposely hurting me. He'd never do that.'

"Which side would you like?" Angel asked.

"Is the right okay with you?" she questioned.

"It's fine."

Angel walked to the left side of the bed, pulling the covers back, watching Buffy as she did the same. He felt like a teenage boy all over again; even more so, he felt like he had the night he and Buffy both lost their virginity to one another. His nerves were all jumbled up, he didn't know what to say or do. Should he kiss her goodnight? Put his arms around her? Hold her close and never let go? Such questions boggled his mind.

He laid down on the bed, deciding to let Buffy make the first move. She crawled under the covers, immediately moving to his side. She couldn't help but want to touch him. Bringing her head to the crook of his shoulder, she gently placed small kisses on his neck. The taste of him was addictive, and Buffy could not get enough of it.

Angel rolled over onto his side, kissing her forehead, cheeks, nose, jaw and, finally, her soft mouth. It was the beginning of another out of control show of affection, but neither one of them cared. Buffy ran her fingers through his tussled brown hair as he rolled over again, this time on top of her. Resting his weight on his arms so as not to crush her, they continued their mating dance with their mouths, tongues and hands.

"We should…probably stop…before…we go too far," Angel suggested between kisses.

"Yeah…we probably…should," Buffy agreed.

They didn't stop, though. While Buffy trailed her hands along the strong muscles of Angel's back and shoulders, he dipped his face to her neck, leaving open mouth kisses along the heated skin. More kisses followed across her collarbone, down to her upper chest. Even though they both knew they needed to stop, neither one did. Angel's mouth found the hills of her breasts, moving his lips across them through the thin top.

'If I don't stop now, I won't be able to. Then that'll shoot the perfect night I want us to have. It can't happen like this when I promised Buffy perfection.' He lifted his head up, giving her a gentle kiss on the lips. The look of disappointment didn't go unnoticed by him.

"It's not the perfect setting I had in mind," he told her.

"This is pretty perfect to me," she disagreed. "You and me. It can't be any more perfect than that."

He touched her cheek. "As much as I want to, it's not right."

"How will I know when it is?"

"Believe me, Buffy, you'll know without me having to tell you. It'll be very obvious," he explained, rolling onto his back once again, leaving the temptation of her splendid body a few inches away.

Nodding, Buffy moved closer to him, putting her cheek on his chest. She placed a kiss there before closing her eyes. "Have I told you how great it is to have you back?"

He pulled the sheets over them. "You didn't have to. Actions speak louder than words, my love."


"Kristen, if I tell you something, do you promise not to say anything to anyone?" Buffy asked her younger friend the next afternoon at her house.

"You can tell me anything, Buffy. I promise not to tell a soul," Kristen swore.

Buffy smiled. "Remember I told you about Angel? Geoffrey's son?"

"Yeah," Kristen answered. "You two were really serious and you guys broke up and he moved away."

"He's back for the wedding. I saw him yesterday. In fact, he's staying here in the spare bedroom right next to me."

Kristen grinned widely, her eyes sparkling. "Ooh, how did he look?"

"Pretty much the same. Great."

"That doesn't help me, Buffy. You've never shown me a picture of him…you barely mention him. I don't even know what he looks like."

Buffy got up, taking her Prom picture out of her nightstand drawer. "That's us at my Senior Prom three years ago."

She whistled. "Hello, hottie. How did you ever let him get away?"

"My own stupidity; it's a really long story, Krissy."

"So, tell me about last night and what it was like to see him again."

She smiled softly. "It was great. Angel got even better-looking when he was away, which I didn't think was possible. The four of us all went out for dinner, and then he and I went to the cemetery to visit Gregory."

"Who's Gregory?"

Buffy sighed. "Gregory's our son. I – I had a miscarriage in November of '99. That's really not the point I'm trying to make here, and I don't want to get all depressed. Angel and I were talking about him and we kissed."

"Good kiss or friendly kiss?"

"*Really* good kiss. He told me he still loves me, and I feel the same way. Angel wants to be with me."

"That's so sweet," Kristen said.

"Yeah, I know. We talked a lot last night, kissed some more, and now we're back together."

Kristen raised her eyebrows. "Did you two have sex? Was it good?"

Buffy laughed at her boldness. "No, we didn't. Angel didn't want to rush things between us. Not that I didn't want to sleep with him, because God knows I did. But we just slept in the same bed and he held me all night long."

"Wow."

"I love him so much; I never stopped. He was the first man I ever made love to. The only one, really. I don't exactly count Riley. That was nothing but a mistake. Angel's the only man I've really made love to."

"You're kidding."

She shook her head. "No. I wanted to wait until I knew it was right; that I loved him. I wasn't going to hop in bed with just any guy to get it over with; it had to be special. My ex-boyfriend Kevin broke up with me because of that. But Angel waited, he was patient and kind about it, he knew that when I was ready, it would happen. And he felt the same way; he waited for me just like I waited for him. He's my soulmate, my perfect match."

"Wow," Kristen repeated.

"Krissy, I needed to tell someone about it because I am so happy to be with him again."

"Why didn't you tell Willow or Cordelia?"

"They'd make a big deal about it, and we don't want that. With Mom and Geoffrey's wedding tomorrow, he and I want the focus to be on them, not us. We'll tell everyone after the wedding."

"Isn't it going to be hard when Angel's away in Ohio?"

"He's moving back to Sunnydale to be with me."

"Sounds like you've got the perfect guy, Buffy. You're so lucky."

Buffy put her arm around Kristen's shoulder. "You'll find your perfect guy someday, Krissy. He's out there. It was a very rocky road to be with Angel; love is never easy. But don't give up on it just because there's a few obstacles on that road."

"I know, I know."

"One rule, though. Keep your hands off my boyfriend. Nicole tried to break us up so she could have Angel all to herself. Look where it got her."

She nodded. "I promise not to steal him from you, like I ever could. And I won't tell anyone."

"Thanks."

"You two deserve to be happy if it was as hard as you say it was."

"I hope nothing goes wrong this time around. I don't think I could handle losing Angel again."


Angel stood in front of the counter at the florist shop. He tapped his fingers nervously on the counter, looking around to make sure there was nobody around that he knew or might recognize him in the shop at the moment.

"Can I help you, sir?" the teenage boy behind the counter asked him.

"Yes, I have a rather strange request."

The boy nodded. "What is it?"

"Well, I was wondering if it's possible to order twelve dozen roses for delivery tomorrow."

He widened his eyes. "That's a hundred and forty-four roses, sir."

"I'm aware of that. Is it possible?" questioned Angel.

"We have a big order of flowers for a wedding tomorrow. I can do my best, but I can't guarantee twelve dozen. Ten, maybe, but not twelve."

"As close as you can get will be fine. It doesn't have to be exact."

The boy took a pen and paper out from under the counter. "Do you mind if I call another florist? Maybe they can help you out."

"That's fine. I'll wait. Do you think you can make those half white, half red?"

"I'll ask. Give me five minutes."

When the boy went into the back room to make the call, Angel took a look around. He'd never really been into flowers and candies or other niceities, but Buffy brought out the romantic in him. While he was smelling an arrangement of carnations, the bell to announce the arrival of a customer rang.

"Angel?" a voice behind him asked.

He turned around, seeing Xander standing five feet behind him. The younger man hadn't changed much in the two and a half years that passed. His hair had gotten a bit longer and his face certainly had matured. Xander was no longer a gangly, lanky boy; he was a mature young man.

"Xander, hi," Angel replied with a smile.

"It's been a long time, man. How have you been?"

Angel shrugged. "Hanging in there. How 'bout yourself?"

"Alright. Can't exactly complain, not like anyone would listen to my complaints anyway. But I'm doing good."

"What are you doing here?" Angel asked.

"I was passing by and saw you through the window. Wanted to say hi. Are you staying with Geoffrey?" Xander wanted to know.

He shook his head. "No, with Buffy and Joyce. Are you still seeing Cordelia?" Angel quickly changed the subject.

"Yep. Just celebrated five years a few weeks ago. It feels like an eternity, though."

"I can only imagine," Angel laughed.

"So, what's it like in Cleveland?"

"Cold. I'm not too fond of the winters, but what can you do. It's Ohio, they have an actual winter with snow."

"What do you do there? Just hang around all day until the baddies come out after dark and play? That's got to be pretty boring."

"Believe it or not, I have an actual job. I teach high school History. I'm a certified secondary education teacher."

Xander smirked. "You're a busy man, Watcher Guy."

"Don't call me that."

"Nice to see you haven't lost you sense of humor."

The florist employee returned to the room. "Sir?"

Angel walked back to the counter. "Yes?"

"Your order won't be a problem at all. Six dozen white and six dozen red roses?"

"That's it. Is there any way I can get a basket of red and white petals? I'm sorry, I forgot to ask before."

"Shouldn't be a problem. I'll order it along with the rest. What time would you like them to be delivered?"

Angel paused to think. "Three-thirty?"

"Okay. What is the address?"

He wrote it down for the boy, then handed him his credit card. Opening his wallet, Angel gave the boy a seventy-five dollar tip for his troubles. "Thank you for the help on such short notice."

"No, thank you, sir."

Xander followed Angel out onto the street. "What was that all about?"

"Geoffrey asked me to order some more flowers for the wedding. They didn't have enough or something," answered Angel.

"Oh, okay. Is he having a bachelor party tonight?"

Angel shook his head in reply. "He didn't want one. Geoffrey's not exactly a big party-goer."

"How can someone get married without having a bachelor party? Without strippers and drinking? It's an American tradition."

"Easy, he's not American. He's British."

"What are you going to do tonight then? Wanna grab a couple drinks?"

"The rehearsal dinner is tonight. Normally I'd love to go get a few drinks with you, but I want to get a good night's sleep. Tomorrow's going to be a long, exhausting day."

Xander understood. "I get it. Hey, have you and Buffy been getting along okay? After everything that went down between you two, it's got to be pretty awkward to be staying in the same house as her. Only a few rooms away, no less."

"At first it was strange, but things are fine now. We talked and we're fine. No more awkward uncomfortableness."

Xander sighed. "That's good. Any chance of you two crazy kids getting back together?"

"I don't know," lied Angel. He and Buffy promised not to say anything to anyone about them getting back together. "I wouldn't vote against it, but I'm perfectly happy with the way things are between us right now. What the future holds for us, I don't know."

"Cool. Are you sure you don't want to get a drink?"

"Thanks anyway, but I'm going to sack it real early tonight. Big day tomorrow."


Buffy pulled Angel aside at nine o'clock. The rehearsal dinner was almost over and she wanted some alone time with him. They hadn't spent any time together all that day, and with the wedding tomorrow, chances were they wouldn't be alone then either.

"Do you want to get out of here?"

"Are you getting tired?" Angel asked, concerned.

She shook her head. "No, but I want to get out of here. Maybe we can go to the beach and talk. We haven't had much of a chance to do that yet."

"Alright. Just let me tell Geoffrey and your mother where we're going."

"Don't bother. They'll never know we're gone, and besides, we're grown adults and we don't need their permission. Let's go."


"What are you going to do now?" Angel asked, skipping a stone across the surface of the ocean.

"What do you mean?"

He walked to the rock next to her and sat down. "Well, you're done with college now, you graduated a semester early. You must have some kind of plan for the future if you wanted to get out so quickly."

"Other than spending it with you?"

Angel laughed. "Pretty sure of yourself, aren't you?"

"Yes, I am."

"Seriously, Buffy, what do you want to do?"

"I don't really know. My degree is in Psychology and my minor is in Sociology. I was thinking about being a guidance counselor. Working with high school students seems like it would be very interesting. I can relate to them."

"It is interesting. Never a dull moment, I can tell you that. A lot of my students in Cleveland would come to me with problems because they thought I'd know what they were going through. And I did. You'd be terrific at it, Buffy. You have a kind heart and you're a great listener."

She smiled. "Thanks. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need my Master's, though, for guidance counseling. But I'm taking the Spring semester off to relax. You know, enjoy being young while I still can. I put a lot of pressure on myself to graduate early; hit the books almost every night. I never really got a chance to be a real college student, or a teenager for that matter."

"You didn't miss much," he told her.

"I feel like I did; like I grew up way too fast. I had to deal with things most people don't have to worry about until they're much older. Seeing people I know die too young, dying myself, being pregnant, miscarrying, being engaged, etc. So much has happened to me that I feel like I never got a chance to enjoy my youth."

Angel gazed down at the sand. "A lot of that had to do with me."

"I don't regret any of it. With you, Angel, the only thing I regret is acting like a brat and breaking up with you for the stupidest reason in the world. But other than that, every moment spent with you has been wonderful. It still is."

"You're just saying that to make me feel better, aren't you?" he joked.

"Is it working?"

"Yes." He grabbed Buffy's hand, dragging her to the shore. They took off their socks and shoes, then waded up to their knees in the cool ocean.

They only held hands in the water, watching the reflection of the moon as it danced over the ocean's waves. A feeling of peace came over them both. Angel removed his jacket and placed it over her shoulders. As he did so, he captured her lips in a tender kiss that held the promise of eternal love.


Buffy reached over to the other side of the bed, hoping to cuddle with Angel before having to wake up. Her hand, instead of coming in contact with his warm body, found nothing more than a cold bed where he once lay. Opening her eyes, Buffy didn't see him anywhere. Upon a closer look, she saw a note on his side of the bed.

BUFFY,

HAD TO RUN A FEW ERRANDS BEFORE THE WEDDING THIS AFTERNOON. I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOU UNTIL THE CEREMONY, BUT I'LL BE THINKING ABOUT YOU. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU WALKING DOWN THE AISLE, EVEN IF YOU AREN'T WALKING TOWARD ME.

UNTIL THEN, MY LOVE,

ANGEL

She sighed. It was her mother's wedding day. She was happy for her mother, Buffy couldn't deny that. But a little piece of her was disappointed. It could have been her wedding day; she could be the one getting married, but no. Almost three years ago, Buffy made a huge mistake by letting the best thing in her life slip through her fingers by saying things she didn't mean.

'I have to stop this. It's my mother's wedding day, not mine. Maybe someday I'll be the one getting married, but it's not my turn,' Buffy said to herself.

"Honey, are you up?" Mrs. Summers called from the bottom of the stairs.

"Yeah! I'll be down in a couple minutes," she replied.

"Hurry up. We have to be at the hair dresser in half an hour."

Buffy crawled out of bed, looking at Angel's side longingly. Already, she missed him. "This is what true love must really feel like," she said softly. "When you miss him so much it feels like an eternity before you'll see him again." Running her hand along his pillow, she smiled. 'Only a few more hours. Then I'll see him again.' She closed the door behind her as she left the room to get ready.


Angel exhaled loudly, watching his father pace back and forth in the room at the church. "Would you stop it, Geoffrey? You're making me nervous," he chastised.

"Sorry," Geoffrey apologized. "I feel like I'm your age all over again. Young and in love and with an endless world of possibilities at my feet."

"You're starting to sound like a Hallmark card."

His eyes darted around the room. "What if Joyce changes her mind? She's already been married once before and it didn't work out, what if she doesn't want to go through that again?"

"You're worrying about nothing. Joyce isn't going to change her mind. If it eases your mind at all, I saw her this morning and she was very excited. Believe it or not, she loves you as much as you love her."

"It's my wedding day. I can't help it."

Angel shook his head. "Do me a favor. If I act like you're acting on my wedding day, just shoot me."

"You have a deal. Although you won't have to be nervous. Buffy would never leave you at the altar. I know you two will be married eventually. It'll just take a little time."

He smiled. "I'm a very patient man. I've said it before and I'll say it again – I'd wait forever for her. I feel like I have." Angel looked at the clock. One minute to go. "We better get out there. It's time for you to get married."


"Do you, Geoffrey Michael take Joyce Marie to be your lawfully wedded wife? To have and to hold, for richer or poorer, to honor and cherish, in sickness and in health, and forsaking all others, be true only to her?" the priest asked.

"I do," Geoffrey answered.

"And do you, Joyce Marie, take Geoffrey Michael to be your lawfully wedded husband? To have and to hold, for richer or poorer, to honor and cherish, in sickness and in health, and forsaking all others, be true only to him?"

Mrs. Summers grinned. "I do."

"Then by the power vested in me, I pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride."

Geoffrey lifted the bride's veil and kissed her softly. As they were doing so, Angel caught Buffy's eyes. They smiled at each other, both for their parents' marriage and to acknowledge their deep love for one another.

"For the first time as man and wife, I present to you Geoffrey and Joyce Kensington," announced the priest.

The newlywed couple walked down the aisle, followed by Buffy and Angel, who linked arms as they made their way to the back of the church.

"I haven't had a chance to tell you how beautiful you look today, Buffy," he said to her.

"Thank you. You look great yourself."

"Up on the altar, I couldn't help but think about what a beautiful bride you're going to make."

She smiled. "Really? Is that a proposal?"

"Just an observation. But if you play your cards right, Miss Summers, it may happen. One of these days you might find me standing at your front door with an engagement ring in my hand."

"Gonna make an honest woman of me, are you?"

"Perhaps."

"I'll be waiting."


"Buffy, you've grown up so much since we last came to visit," her aunt Kathleen commented at the reception.

She blushed at the compliment. "That's so nice of you to say, Aunt Kathleen. But it hasn't been that long."

"Four years, dearie. You're still a vision. You take after your mother."

"Thank you. Did you have a nice flight?"

Kathleen nodded. "Very nice, thank you. I find it so hard to believe that a beautiful young woman like yourself isn't spoken for already."

"Not technically, no. I was engaged to be married a few years ago, but he and I broke up. We're patching things up, though."

"How terrific. Is he here right now?"

Buffy pointed to Angel, who was sitting at a nearby table talking to one of Geoffrey's friends from Los Angeles. "That's him, the best man. Angel is Geoffrey's son."

Kathleen smiled in appreciation. "Isn't he a handsome devil. You have quite an eye there, Buffy. Do I hear wedding bells in your future?"

"Cross your fingers. We still love each other and we're on our way to making things the way they were. As long as nothing gets in our way this time around."

"True love will prevail. You just watch."

When her aunt walked away, Buffy's arm was grabbed by Cordelia. She pulled her a few feet away. "Cordy, what is it?"

"You haven't danced with Angel yet," her friend stated.

Buffy shrugged. "And your point being…"

"My point is that there are a lot of eligible women here eyeing him up. And if you don't stake your claim on him now, he might find someone else."

"Give me a break. If he wants to dance with me, Angel will ask. Besides, he doesn't really like to dance. At least not to uptempo stuff. He's the slow dancing type," Buffy informed her.

Cordelia clapped her hands. "Even better. You can put your head on his shoulder and make him remember how much he loves to hold you in his arms."

She sighed. "Forget it, Cordy. If it's meant to happen, it will, but I'm not going to push it. He is a grown man, let him ask me himself if he wants to."


Angel put his coat on. It was eleven thirty and he needed to get back to the house. He'd told everyone that he was exhausted and needed to get up early the next day.

Buffy followed him to the glass doors of the reception hall. "Where are you going, Angel?"

"Back to your house. I got up really early today and I'm beat. I already said my goodbyes to your mother and Geoffrey."

"Wait a minute and I'll come with you."

He shook his head. "Stay. All your friends are still here and I don't want you to miss anything because of me. I'll see you later."

"As long as you're sure."

"I am. Have fun." Angel walked out the door, heading for his rented truck.

Buffy went back to the reception. There really wasn't much more left to do except see her mother and stepfather off. They had already tossed the bouquet and the garter belt, caught by Cordelia and Angel respectively. The cake was long gone, but plenty of people were still dancing to the music provided by the DJ they'd hired.

At one forty-five, Giles dropped her off at home. "It was a beautiful wedding, Buffy."

"Yeah, it certainly was," she agreed. "Thanks for driving me home. And for being my date."

"The pleasure was all mine. Get a good night's sleep. Rest tomorrow."

"I will. Night."

The house was pitch black, not a sound could be heard as she walked in the door. 'Angel must be asleep already. I won't bother him, he was really tired.' When she turned on the light, she saw him standing in the middle of the living room, holding a red rose in one hand and a white one in the other. The entire room was filled with flowers. Even the staircase had rose petals placed on the steps.

"What's all this?" Buffy asked. "I thought you were tired."

"I lied. It was an excuse for me to leave and set all this up. Do you like it?"

She nodded. "Lots of flowers. Did you rob a florist?" she joked.

"I wanted tonight to be special for you, for us. Sort of a pre-honeymoon, if you will," he explained. "Will you let me stay with you tonight? Will you let me love you?"

She slowly nodded, letting it all sink in. This was the sign he told her about, and it was plain to see. He was ready. "Yes."

"I'll make it perfect, like I promised."

"I know you will."

He took her hand, bringing her into the living room. "I want it to be as if we're married. If making love tonight is to be our honeymoon, then we need to dance at our reception. Even if it's not legal, we can make-believe."

Buffy stared into his adoring eyes. "In my heart, I am your wife. That's all that matters."


"I have the perfect song picked out," Angel said, leaving her side to turn on the stereo. A soft medley came through the speakers, penetrating through the silence. He took her hand once more, leading her closer to him. His arms cradled her as they began to dance.

You set my soul at ease
Chased the darkness out of view
Left your desperate spell on me
Say you feel it too, I know you do
I've got so much more to give
This can't die, I yearn to live
Pour yourself all over me
And I'll cherish every drop here on my knees

Buffy closed her eyes. "It is perfect. You think of everything, Angel."

"I tried. I told you before, I wanted everything to be perfect for tonight. Your mother and Geoffrey are out of town on their honeymoon, so we have the whole house to ourselves for two weeks. That means no interruptions, no one to hide from, no one who might walk in on us. Just you and me for as long as you want."

"You mean that? Just you and me?"

He nodded. "That's why I set all this up. I wanted to show you how important you are to me."

"Angel, you didn't have to go to all this trouble. The flowers must have cost you a fortune."

"I thought they would make it more romantic," he explained.

"As Julia Roberts said in Pretty Woman, I'm a sure thing. I don't need flowers and music, I just need you."

I wanna love you forever
And this is all I'm asking of you
10,000 lifetimes together
Is that so much for you to do?
Cuz from the moment that I saw your face
And felt the fire in your sweet embrace
I swear I knew
I'm gonna love you forever

"Do you have any idea how much I love you?" Angel asked.

Buffy smiled. "I think I have an idea. But a visual might be nice. You should show me much how much, though."

"In due time. This moment has to last. I'll show you, I promise. And believe me, you won't have a single doubt in your mind. How I feel will be very obvious."

"It is now. I wish time would move faster. I want to be with you now. I don't think I can wait much longer."

Angel brushed his hand across her smooth skin. "Patience. Good things happen to those who wait."

"It better be good."

"After three years, Buffy, it'll be amazing."

My mind fails to understand
What my heart tells me to do
And I'd give up all I have just to be with you
And that would do
I've always been taught to win
And I never thought I'd fall
Be at the mercy of a man
I've never been
Now I only want to be right where you are
I wanna love you forever
And this is all I'm asking of you
10,000 lifetimes together
Is that so much for you to do?
Cuz from the moment that I saw your face
And felt the fire in your sweet embrace
I swear I knew
I'm gonna love you forever

They danced as if they were the only two left in the world. Buffy stared into his brown eyes, seeing a mixture of love and passion in them. She felt like he could read her every thought; they were telling him how badly she wanted to be with him. It had been way too long, and she was sick of wasting precious time, their precious time.

In my life I've learned that heaven never waits
Let's take this now before it's gone like yesterday
Cuz when I'm with you there's nowhere else
That I would ever wanna be, no
I'm breathing for the next second I can feel you
loving me…I'm gonna love
I wanna love you forever
And this is all I'm asking of you
10,000 lifetimes together
Is that so much for you to do?
Cuz from the moment that I saw your face
And felt the fire in your sweet embrace
I swear I knew
I'm gonna love you forever

Angel held her for a bit longer after the song ended. He almost didn't want it to end; holding her in his arms, moving their bodies to the sweet sound of Jessica Simpson's song felt absolutely perfect. But he had promised her more, and he wasn't going to break that promise.

With both hands around her waist, he bent down to kiss her. It was only the beginning of what he planned for them that night. He felt her hands make their way to the waist of his dress pants, and he broke the kiss. Buffy looked up at him questioningly.

"Not yet, love."

"Why? I thought we were going to –"

Angel interrupted her by placing a finger on her lips. "We will. But it won't be perfect if we go too fast. I want to savor this night forever. Let me do this, let me set the pace this time. Do you trust me enough to let me do this?"

Buffy nodded. "I do. I trust you."

"Good." Putting his hands on her hips, Angel brought his lips to hers again. He shut his eyes and lost himself in the kiss. His tongue slid inside her mouth, letting it dance with Buffy's. Instead, she scraped her teeth around it, then sucked on it. The mere feeling of her surrounding him almost made him take her right there just so he could be inside her, but he held back. No, he needed self-control, and plenty of it, for what he had planned.

Buffy's fingers found the sensitive spot on his neck and proceeded to tickle him. He purred in her mouth, but she didn't stop. She could feel his response to her body nudging her, and it pleased her to know that she still had that kind of an effect on him. Buffy couldn't wait to be one with him again. If she had to wait too long, though, it might drive her crazy.

She started to back up, drawing them closer to the stairs that led to her bedroom. In doing so, she hoped he'd get the hint and speed things up. "Your bed or mine?" she asked breathlessly.

"Follow the trail I left you. Everything's ready for us," he answered.

"You thought of everything, didn't you?"

"I told you, it is going to be perfect. A night both of us will never forget for the rest of our lives."

He let her walk up the stairs first, following the red and white rose petals Angel threw on the ground to guide the way. Buffy still couldn't believe all the trouble he went to just to give her a perfect night with him, just to make love to her again. Didn't he know that he'd given her that the first night they ever made love? She just wanted him, not flowers and romance. But he never felt as if only he was enough for her. He had to give her more. But to Buffy, he was enough.

The rose petals continued down the hall and stopped in front of her bedroom door. Buffy turned around, waiting for a response from him. Angel nodded, indicating to her that she should open the door. She turned the knob slowly, pushing the door open when she finished. When she turned on the light, she gasped.

"Oh my god."

From behind, Angel wrapped his arms around her waist. "Do you like it?"

The room was decorated with small bouquets of flowers in each corner. More rose petals adorned the bed, whose sheets had been turned down. The shades were closed, and a singe candle burned on her dresser. "A bed of roses," she whispered. "Just like the Bon Jovi song. I love it, Angel. You did make it perfect. It's been my fantasy since I was a teenager to make love on a bed of roses."

"I wanted to make your fantasy come true."

She launched herself into his arms, smothering him with kisses along his jaw, cheeks and lips. He knew everything she liked; Angel was the perfect man for her. How she could have messed things up so badly and let him get away for so long was a mystery to her.

He could not wait any longer. Angel's hand moved around her back, finding the zipper to her green bridesmaid gown. Pulling it down, he let his other hand slide the strap off her right shoulder. Buffy put her arms to her sides, letting the dress fall to the floor around her ankles. He pressed her to him, feeling her rock-hard nipples through his shirt. She hadn't worn a bra, and he was happy for that. One less obstacle in the way.

He lifted her off the ground, carrying her to the bed, taking in her splendid beauty. The years made her more desirable, if that were even possible. She was a woman now, with a woman's body. It was like he'd never had the pleasure of experiencing her before; she was so new to him. He could only stare, unable to touch, unable to disturb her perfection.

Nervousness washed over Buffy. "What is it, Angel? Don't you want to anymore?"

"You're…Buffy, you…words can't even begin to describe how exquisite you are. I needed to see you, and you still leave me breathless after all these years," Angel said to her.

"That's good, right?"

"Yes, it is." He darted his eyes over her. "Lay back."

She did so without question. Her legs were dangling off the side and Angel knelt down in front of them. He removed her left shoe, then her right one. His fingers rubbed the soles of her feet, massaging her. It felt wonderful. Slowly, he worked his way up her left leg, milking the calf and then her thighs. He parted her legs a few inches, running his fingers along her panty line.

"Angel, please." He was so close to her center, and she wanted him there.

"Shh. Let me do this."

Putting one hand on each upper thigh, he kneaded the skin in his hands as Buffy whimpered. It was torture to have him so close, yet so far away. And she knew he was doing it purposely. He backed up some inches, lifting one of her legs off the bed. Starting at the big toe, he kissed along her foot, listening to the sounds of her giggles as he tickled the bottom of it. He did this to both feet before moving on to her calves, and then her thighs.

Open mouth kisses were placed on her inner thighs. He sucked on the skin there, knowing that it was tormenting his lover. But he did not concern himself with it; she would be rewarded soon enough. Completely disregarding her pleas for him to enter her, he climbed onto the bed, pushing Buffy farther onto it.

'Finally,' she thought. 'Now we'll be one. He's going to make love to me now.'

She was wrong. Rather than kiss her lips, Angel opted for her neck once he positioned himself above her. He found a spot where he remembered she liked to be kissed – just under her earlobe. Latching his mouth there, he licked and sucked on it greedily. As he did so, Buffy knew she'd have a hickey there in the morning. And she didn't care; all she cared about was how good it felt, how good he was making her feel.

Satisfied with his work, he left small kisses on her collarbone, then trailed downward to her breasts. Angel looked at them for a moment, deciding what to do first. Before his mind had a chance to decide, his hormones took over, and he brought his lips to her nipple, rolling his tongue around it. Buffy moaned and arched off the bed, forcing it harder against him. It was like she remembered; him making love to her was always about more than just being inside her. She clutched his hair in her hands, holding him there as he took turns suckling on her nipples.

He was like a baby being breast fed; he wasn't going to stop until he'd had his fill. She cried out when he gently bit her, but it wasn't from pain, but from pleasure. His spare hand ran along the side of her body, causing her to break out in goosebumps.

"Angel, I want –" she started.

"I'll give it to you. Don't worry. Let me finish this first."

Climbing off the bed, he pulled her along with him so that only her upper body remained on the mattress. He tugged her panties off, placing them on the ground with the rest of her clothes. Then his hands returned to her thighs while he kissed them again. Only this time, he let his mouth wander to the juncture between her legs, kissing every inch of her that was open to him. Opening his mouth, his tongue found her already-sensitized clit and ran along it, as he inserted one finger inside of her. They'd never tried this before, it was something new to both of them.

Buffy bucked her hips up, craving a deeper penetration from him. He put his tongue back in his mouth, but then he bit down on her clitoris softly. Her vaginal muscles clenched around his finger tightly as her orgasm came over her. She screamed his name and begged him not to stop. When she calmed down, he put another finger inside, then a third. Angel wiggled them around, trying to find the spot that would make her come again. And she did, four more times in ten minutes, each orgasm more intense than the last. He loved to watch her, loved hearing her call out his name every single time. If he could never make love to her again, he'd be contented in doing this; just pleasuring her.

Buffy was tired and panting, she didn't know how much more she could take. And he hadn't even entered her yet. She wanted him. Now, before it was too late. "No more, Angel. I need you…please," she pleaded, tears in her eyes. "Just make love to me."

He'd tired her out, he could see that. Angel felt bad, but she had enjoyed every second of it, as had he. Still kneeling down, he unbuttoned his shirt, unzipped his trousers and removed both articles of clothing, along with his shoes and socks. He lay on top of her, wearing only his black boxer shorts.

With what little energy she had – he'd drained so much out of her with five mind-blowing orgasms – she flipped him onto his back. Straddling him, she slid her hand inside his boxers, running her fingers along his raging erection. She felt him quiver at her touch, and she smiled. All of that was for her, because of her.

Leisurely, she pulled the last article of clothing off of his body. Sitting on his upper legs, she leaned down to touch his chest. He was so much bigger, so much firmer than before. She let her palms roam his body, feeling the muscles of his chest, arms and shoulders.

"You've gotten so much stronger since the last time we made love. Your arms, they're so big, I'm afraid you'll crush me," Buffy said.

"I had a lot of free time to work out. And I'd never crush you, I'd never be anything but loving a gentle with you."

Nodding, she pressed herself against him in a passionate, heated kiss. Angel rolled them over so that he was on top, and Buffy wrapped her legs around his waist. He looked deep into her eyes before making another move.

Noticing his hesitation, Buffy caressed his cheek. "Come home, Angel."

They kept their eyes locked on one another as he slid himself into her welcoming body. Buffy was right: it was home.

 

More

 

<< back