"Tragedy"

Author: A. Price
Email: andramichelle@yahoo.com


The small plane began it's descent at the small military post outside of Sunnydale. The plane held two heroes, one seatbelted into his seat staring out the window. Graham wasn't sure how he was going to handle this whole situation.

The second hero was Riley Finn and his body rested in the casket that was stored in the back of the plane. Graham was escorting the body of his best friend and fellow soldier home. But first a stop had to be made in Sunnydale. Things had to be set right.

Graham had been the one to ask Riley to join the mission to Belize. He knew in his heart that if Riley and Buffy had not been having problems Riley would have never gone with them. He leaned back in the uncomfortable seat, closing his eyes he remembered that night one week ago.

"She's coming, Graham." Riley had told they waited outside the helicopter.

"I don't think she is Ri." Graham had patted his friend on the shoulder as he went to wait in the helicotper.

He had watched as Riley scanned the woods around the chopper pad anxiously, hopefully. It made Graham angry to see his friend this torn up over a girl. Not that Buffy wasn't a great girl. Graham had always liked her despite Forrest's rants and everything that went down with the Iniative. But she and Riley lived in different worlds and he could see the stress tearing both of them apart. Maybe if Riley was away for a little while they would both take a needed rest and figure things out or maybe they could make a clean break for both of thier sakes.

"It's time, Finn." The pilot called to Riley.

"I'm coming." Riley had shouted sounding defeated. He had climbed silently into the seat beside Graham.

"Maybe you can work it out when you get home." Graham had told him sympathetically.

"Yeah, maybe." Riley had told him as he ran a hand through his short hair.

The pilot started the helicopter and they began to rise. The noise was terrible. But Riley heard Graham say "Look." Graham pointed to the ground.

Buffy was staring at the helicopter, yelling. Riley looked at her and sighed, "Buffy."

"Do you want to land, Ri?" Graham had asked him.

"No, I need to do this. I need to be away. I'll call her as soon as I can." He covered his face with his hands.

"That's probably for the best." Graham had told him although he had felt for the girl down below calling up to the helicopter, watching as it flew out of sight.

"It's a good sign that she came, isn't it?" Riley had turned to Graham and asked hope in his voice.

"I think so. Let's get rid of these bad guys and we'll get you home to her." Graham had told him with a smile.

"Yeah, I'm bringing you home to her." Graham said softly out loud as the plane landed.

Buffy was to meet him at the airfield. She wanted her chance to say goodbye to Riley and Graham could not refuse her request. And he needed her to know that Riley had seen her at the airport that night. Riley had never found his way to a phone.

They spent the next three days tracking a nest of demons. When they had finally found them they had fought a long treacherous battle, he and Riley had taken most of them out by themselves. Riley had gone down fighting he died in Grahams arms on the battlefield, a gaping hole in his chest. His last murmured words had been "Tell her...tell her I knew she came." Then he had closed his eyes and drew his last breath. Graham had carried his body back to camp himself.

So here he was in Sunnydale, now standing by the plane as the cargo bay door lifted and two soldiers rolled out the casket of Riley Finn. Graham ran a hand over the wooden casket. He closed his eyes and let out a small sigh.

"Graham." The small, tremulous voice asked from behind him. He turned at the sound of the voice. Buffy stood behind him looking even smaller and so much more vulnerable then he had ever seen her before. She had been crying and her eyes were red rimmed and puffy, her nose red, and she was still one of the most beautiful women he'd ever seen.

"Buffy." He answered as he breached the few steps between them. He'd never really known Buffy that well, he wasn't sure if he should offer a hug or not.

"He's in there?" She'd asked with fresh tears in her eyes pointing at the casket.

"Yes." And suddenly it didn't matter how well he knew her she looked so lost that he wrapped her against him in a big bear hug. "I'm so sorry." He whispered as he pulled back from her.

"He thought I didn't love him. He died thinking I didn't love him. I did love him Graham, I did. I even went to the airport, but it was too late. The helicopter was already leaving." Buffy explained as a lone tear etched it's way down her cheek.

"Buffy, he knew. That's partially why I'm here. He wanted you to know. We both saw you that night at the airport, but we were already on our way and he was going to call you when we could get to a phone. He wanted you to know that he knew you came. We never got to a phone though." Graham explained with a lump in his throat.

"He knew?" She asked with a small light in her eyes.

"Yes, he did. And you were the last thing on his mind." Graham told her with a small smile.

"Did he suffer?" She asked biting her bottom lip.

"No, it was quick, I was with him." Graham walked towards the casket. "Would you like some time alone with him?"

Buffy followed him, she stared at the casket as if she couldn't comprehend that Riley was actually inside. She stepped closer and put one trembling hand on the top.

"I'll be right over here, if you need me." Graham told her as he walked away.

"Riley." She whispered as her hand lovingly ran across the smooth wood.

"I don't know where to start. Too many things to say, and I guess it's too late to say them anyway." Her voice broke then.

She regained her composure and began to speak again. "I love you. Maybe it wasn't how you needed to be loved, but I did love you. If I had made it to the airport just a few minutes earlier, maybe?" She sobbed again and lie her head on the casket, all of her pent up grief overflowing as she hugged the casket and cried, "Riley, Riley."

Graham couldn't stand it any longer, he ran to her side and pulled her away from the casket. "He knew Buffy, he knew. We have to go now. His parents are waiting in Iowa."

"Will you tell them how sorry I am? Do they even know about me?" Buffy asked him trying to compose herself.

"Yes, they know about you. Will you be flying to Iowa for the funeral?" He asked her as the soldiers rolled the casket back into the cargo hold.

"I hadn't thought... I mean would it be okay?" She asked thoughtfully.

Graham looked at Buffy his eyes full of sincerity, "Of course you should go to the funeral. I know Riley told his parents about you."

"I guess I could try to get a flight." Buffy told him biting her bottom lip as she looked at the casket one last time.

Graham thought for a moment. "Buffy, run home and get a bag packed. Be back here in one hour and you can fly with us to Iowa. We can get rooms once we get there."

She brightened a little bit, "Are you sure?"

"I'm sure. Go on now get your bag." Graham told her as he went to use the phone. He needed to let Riley's parents know about the delay and about Buffy.

Buffy packed quickly and after an explanation to her mother, Joyce dropped her off at the airport where Graham was waiting. He took her bag and helped her get settled on the plane.

He took the seat across from her. "I called Riley's parent's they are expecting you. They are looking forward to meeting Riley's girl."

"Riley's girl." Buffy repeated in a choked voice. She closed her eyes and held the arms of her seat tightly.

"You okay?" Graham asked concerned.

"I'm okay. I don't like to fly." Buffy confessed.

"The Slayer is afraid to fly?" He gave her a small smile.

"Yep."

"Anything else you are afraid of?" He asked her with interest.

"Lots of things." She said softly. "What are Riley's parents like?" She asked changing the subject.

Graham sighed, "They are good, honest, hardworking people. I've been to Riley's several times they always treat me like family."

"That's how I imagined them." Buffy sighed.

"Buffy, he loved you and if things had been different, he would be taking you home to meet them. You don't know how much I wish things were different." His voice broke slightly.

A small hand rested on his larger one and a small voice whispered, "I think I do know."

Tears rolled down both of their faces then. "He could be a doofus sometimes, you know?" Graham finally spoke up.

Buffy giggled softly, "I know."

"Did you know he punched Parker Abrams defending your honor?"

"He what?"

"Parker was talking bad about you and Riley punched him out. I knew that Riley liked you before he did. But it was after that punch that he realized it too. He decided to ask you out after that. We had a party at the frat house. He was so nervous."

Buffy thought for a moment. "I think I remember the party, he was asking me questions about class and being kind of goofy. Then Xander came in and I left... "

"With him." Graham finished for her,"And Forrest tried to convince Riley that you and your friend had left to have hot sex. Riley didn't believe it." Graham smiled at the memory. A happier time before all hell had broken loose.

"He was so funny sometimes. He told me sometimes he practiced our conversations before he talked to me." Buffy smiled a little bit.

"That sounds like Riley. He wanted things perfect. He had never met a girl like you before." Graham smiled at her then added "None of us had."

Buffy shifted in her seat looking towards the back of the plane where Riley's casket was. "I'd never met anyone like him before either."

"We probably never will again. He was one of a kind." Graham agreed. They exchanged stories and smiles and some more tears about Riley for the next hour. Graham noticed that Buffy looked exhausted.

"Buffy, why don't you try to get some rest? I'll wake you when we land."

"Okay." She told him in a tired voice as she closed her eyes.

Graham watched as she fell asleep, he got up and found a blanket for her and slipping a small pillow behind her blond head. He'd never really talked to Buffy very much before tonight. But now he could understand why Riley had been so crazy about the remarkable girl sleeping in the seat next to him.


The plane prepared to land and Graham lightly touched Buffy's shoulder. "Buffy." He called softly.

She stirred in her sleep opening her eyes and looking around sleepily, "We're here?" She asked as she sat up and stretched her arms.

"Yes, we're here. We'll be landing any minute now. Are you ready for this?" He asked her solemnly.

"The landing or meeting Riley's parents?" She replied softly.

He took one hand in his and smiled at her, "Both I guess."

She allowed him to hold her hand until they landed then quickly let go and undid her seatbelt. He stood beside her in the aisle and got her bag for her. "I know this is going to be hard for you, but I think it will be good for them to meet you."

She shook her head, "It's hard for you too. If it's this hard for us, I can't imagine what his parents are going through."

Graham nodded in agreement as he led her from the plane. On the runway stood a military officer and Riley's parents. Rachel and Randall Finn stood tall and strong but thier faces were etched with misery. Graham and Buffy walked to where they stood.

"Graham. Thank you for coming." Randall offered his hand in firm handshake.

"Your welcome, sir. I'm so sorry." Graham's voice choked a bit.

Rachel Finn stood with redrimmed eyes she offered Graham a hug. "Yes, thank you." Her voice cracked as a soft sob escaped.

Randall put a comforting arm around his wife pulling her closer to his side. "You must be Buffy." Rachel asked as she left her husbands side and stepped closer to the blond girl who's eyes were as redrimmed as her own.

Graham spoke up, "I'm sorry, yes, this is Buffy Summers."

"You are a pretty as Riley said you were." Rachel said softly as more tears ran down her face and she pulled Buffy into a tight hug. Buffy's tears came down faster now she felt almost dizzy with grief as she held tightly to the woman holding her. "Thank you." She mumbled.

"He said you were very special. I'm so glad he had met someone." Rachel told her when she finally let go.

"He was the special one." Buffy said swallowing the huge lump in her throat.

Randall Finn then offered his hand to Buffy, she accepted it and he gave it a gentle squeeze, "Thank you for coming too. It would mean alot to our boy and it means a lot to us."

"Thank you, sir." Buffy answered as she let go of his hand. It was hard to look at Randall Finn, there was no doubt that he had been Riley's father they shared the same good looks and build.

Everyone's attention turned to the plane as the cargo doors opened and two men escorted Riley's casket from the cargo hold.

Rachel Finn could not hold her grief any longer when she saw the polished wood casket leave the plane. This was the proof that this was her son's last visit home. She let out a loud sob as she walked towards the casket. Randall followed her not knowing exactly what to say or do to comfort his wife. His grief was as strong as hers and he wasn't sure he could bear up for both of them.

Buffy and Graham followed with stricken looks on both of their faces. Buffy lay a hand on Rachel's arm as she cried loudly leaning over the casket. Randall cried then, his tears ran freely as he too ran a strong hand down the length of the smooth wood. Graham stood beside Buffy as he waited for her to breakdown. She didn't though, she simply let the tears run down her face as she lay her hand on Rachels arm. Telling her what a great man Riley had been, speaking soft words of comfort.

After several minutes, Randall gave Buffy a small smile of thanks and gathered his wife to his chest. Speaking over her head, he spoke. "We'll take you two back to the house, then we have to go the funeral home to make some final arrangements."

Buffy turned to Graham a look of surprise on her face. He shrugged his shoulders. "Sir, we are going to find hotel rooms. We don't want to inconvience you."

Rachel Finn turned from the comfort of her husbands embrace and sniffed back her tears, "Nonsense. You'll stay at the house. We have plenty of room and that's how Riley would have wanted it." The words were said firmly as if she would brook no argument.

"Yes, mam. We'll go back with you." Graham told Rachel as he picked up his bag and Buffy's too.

The funeral home had arrived and was loading the casket in to the hearse. Randall spoke to the driver for a moment and then returned. "Let's get you two to the house." He told them as Buffy and Graham followed he and Rachel to the car.

"I can carry my own bag, Graham." Buffy told him as they walked behind Riley's parents, "It's okay. I don't mind."

Once in the car, Rachel pointed out different places that had meant something to Riley, his high school, a hardware store he had worked in as a teenager, the church where his funeral would be held and a well kept cemetary which would be his final resting place.

Randall pulled up into the driveway of a beautiful old farmhouse. It was huge with a large front porch with a swing and several rockers. The minute they entered the house, Buffy could feel the love and warmth radiate from the house. A very close knit family lived here, she could almost hear the children in the pictures running through the house, laughing and playing, probably sometimes arguing, but always together as a family should be. Riley had not exaggerated about his childhood and family they were wonderful.

Rachel took Buffy's coat and watched with a smile as Buffy's hand ran gently over a framed picture of what had to be Riley at around two years old. The smile was the same and the eyes. Buffy gulped as the tears threatened to return.

"Buffy, let me take you upstairs. You can stay in Riley's old room. If that's okay?" Rachel asked leading Buffy up the stairs.

Randall and Graham followed as Randall showed Graham to his room down the hall from Buffy's, it had been Riley's older brother Robert's room. Randal placed Buffy's bag in her room. "Let's go Rachel, Robert is meeting us."

Rachel nodded and spoke to Graham and Buffy, "Make yourselves at home. There is plenty to eat if you are hungry. We'll be back shortly."

Randall nodded and smiled as he and his wife left. "Are you hungry?" Graham asked Buffy as she walked around the bedroom looking at Riley's things. His mother had left quite a few of Riley's belongings in the room. A shelf held a worn baseball glove and several trophies, and there was a picture of Riley in a cubscout uniform his two front teeth missing from the huge smile on his face.

"Buffy?" Graham repeated interrupting her thoughts.

"I'm sorry. I was just thinking. This is where Riley grew up, these are the people that raised him to be the wonderful man he was. They are good people, I can tell. It's just not fair." She spit the last part out bitterly.

"No, it's not fair. But those two people who just left can handle this better then most people could. They have love and faith and great memories of their son to help them." Graham told her comfortingly. "Now, are you hungry? I hate to say it, but I am. I haven't eaten since this morning. When is the last time you ate?"

"I honestly don't remember." She answered him.

"Then lets go downstairs and find something. You need to keep that slayer strength up, the next few days will be hard on everyone." He smiled at her and she followed him downstairs to the cozy kitchen.

"It looks like the neighbors have supplied them with lots of food. That's how the people around here are when a tragedy strikes. How 'bout I make you a roast beef sandwich?" He asked her as he unloaded the refrigerator.

"Ummm...sure." Buffy agreed knowing that she wouldn't be able to taste whatever he fixed for her anyway. Her heart was heavy with loss of what might have been. She could imagine she and Riley working through all of their problems and someday coming here to visit, maybe with kids of thier own. But that dream would never even have a chance to come true now.

Graham pulled out a chair from the kitchen table for her and sat her plate and a glass of milk in front of her. He sat down across from her, "So, how are you doing?" He asked her.

"I'm fine." She mumbled taking a bite from her sandwich.

"I mean it, Buffy. How are you really doing? This has to be hard for you being in this house."

She let out a short hollow laugh as the tears came forward again, "It doesn't really matter does it? I have to be okay."

"Buffy for once, you don't have to be strong. For this small moment of time while Riley's parents ae gone. You can break down, cry on my shoulder, because I need a shoulder to cry on too." Graham said his voice shaking as his tears fell.

Buffy stood then and walked to him she wrapped her arms around his shoulders and buried her face in his dark hair wetting it with her own tears. He placed his hands on hers and they both cried. Tears of over a needless death of a friend, loss of a lover, loss of a kind and decent human being.

"He was my best friend." Graham sniffed as his tears slowed down.

"I know and you were his. I loved him and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do now." Buffy sat back down.

"I wish there was something I could have done. He didn't deserve this. He deserved to come home to you and have a 'happily ever after.'" Graham told her as he regained his compsure.

"I don't believe in 'happily ever after'." Buffy gave Graham a wry smile and then added, "Not for me anyway." She sighed as she took the plates to the sink and began to wash them.

Graham stood and joined her at the sink, he stared into her grief filled eyes wishing he could help her. A girl like Buffy deserved some happiness.

"I think I'll go to bed now." Buffy told him as she dried the last dish.

"Goodnight." He told her as he watched her go up the stairs.

"Night." She called over her shoulder. She walked to the room and changed into her night clothes. She climbed into the bed, Riley's bed and lay there trying to imagine how many nights Riley had lay in this very bed. Did he ever read comic books by flashlight? Did he listen to that radio on the dresser as he drifted to sleep? Did he dream of a baseball career? Or did he always want to be a soldier? Did he ever think about the girl of his dreams, a family of his own?

She held the pillow close to her and wept. It wasn't fair, he should be here beside her, his warm kisses and caresses causing her breath to hitch. She finally cried herself to sleep.

Several hours later, Buffy awoke with a dry throat. She walked numbly down the stairs to the kitchen. She stood at the sink, when a soft voice called behind her. "Hello, dear." She turned to find Rachel Finn, Rachel stepped up beside the girl whose eyes were as redrimmed as her own. "Coudn't sleep?"

Buffy shook her head. "I needed some water." She said as she sat the glass in the sink. "Are you okay?"

"I will be. Riley was a good son." She said as she reached for the coffee and began to fill the pot. "A parent should never have to bury a child. It goes against nature. Parents are supposed to go first." She stifled a sob as she sat down.

"I'm so sorry." Buffy fought her own tears as she sad down across from her.

"The funeral is tomorrow at one o'clock. I expect the church will be full. He was well liked and loved."

"I know he was. I loved him." Buffy said as the coffee pot perked behind them she rose and poured a cup for Rachel.

"Thank you, but you are the guest." Rachel smiled at her over the cup.

Buffy patted her on the hand, "I need to do something, I feel like I'm imposing."

"Riley loved you, you'll never be an imposition here. I could tell by the way he talked about you how much you meant to him." Rachel reached across the table and squeezed Buffy's hand.

"Thank you." Buffy said softly.

"We both need to get some rest." Rachel told her finishing her coffee and standing. "Goodnight."

Buffy was left alone in the dark kitchen.

 

Want to read the Buffy/Riley or Buffy/Graham ending?

 

<< back