Angel's Secrets

Creative Works   

The Change (Part 4)
By ras

Disclaimer: I do not own Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Willow, Xander, Giles, Ms. Calendar, or any of the characters contained in this story. These characters are the copyright of Joss Whedon, the WB, and mutant enemy. No infringement is intended. Don't sue.

. . .

Scene 16

Buffy stood knocking at Ms. Calendar's door, while Oz and Willow waited in the van to make sure she got in okay.

Jenny Calendar opened the door looking like she hadn't slept or showered in years. She was so filled with excitement over her discovery, she couldn't wait to tell Buffy. "Get in, hurry up!" She said pulling Buffy in.

She led Buffy to her bedroom and showed her Cassandra's diary. Buffy stared at the weird looking words.

"Its in Romani," Ms. Calendar explained. "Cassandra kept a diary of sorts and this is it. The diary tells of her love affair with a man outside the clan. Gaje, marriage outside of the clan, was strictly forbidden. She became pregnant and had his child, Nicoli, my great grandfather. She could have been expelled from the tribe for this, but she was a favorite among the clan. The Kris, the ruling elders, took pity on her, and she was allowed to keep the child. In here I found Cassandra's key: The key to true happiness is knowing that true love conquers all." She looked up at Buffy.

"This is all very interesting, but I don't get how this helps. I love Angel, but how's that going to change him back?"

"Don't you see? You and Angel have true love. It has to win the end, and of course there's a spell to make that happen." Jenny picked up the other huge book that was sitting on her bed. "The spell to reunite true love. Wouldn't you know they have a spell for everything?"

Buffy smiled, "what's it say?"

"Well this spell just happens to be a spell to restore the soul of a true love that has been torn away."

"That fits, I guess. But Angel's soul is still in there, I'm sure now, and Angel has a demon inside him, too."

"I don't think that really matters. This spell was intended to return to someone their true love if their body was taken over by some monster or demon, and that applies."

"So what does it say we have to do?"

"Well, it's sorta complicated. Basically we need your blood and his. We need to mix them together and have him drink it."

"Angel has to drink my blood?"

"See, it's this part. The unity of true love can not be broken. Drinking of this unity will reunite the couple forever."

"Well how are we going to get Angel to drink my blood and his own. He wants to drink mine and then me drink his, remember?"

"I don't know. Buffy, this is all very dangerous and I have no idea how you are going to trick him into this."

"How are we going to get him to drink my blood without killing me?"

"Well, he doesn't have to drink the blood from you. If we drew a pint of your blood and bottled it, and then somehow got some of his blood, all we would have to do is mix them and then get him to drink it."

"Okay, so I'm transfusion girl. We still don't know how to get his blood."

"It should only take a drop or two of his mixed with yours. If you could somehow cut him, and then put that with your blood, it would work."

"I could probably do that. I think I could convince him to drink it, too."

"How are you going to do that, Buffy?"

"Just draw up my blood and leave the rest to me."

"Okay," Ms. Calendar agreed.

Scene 17.

Buffy lay on Ms. Calendar's bed waiting for her to return with the proper blood draining tools. Then there was a knock at the door. What now, " Buffy thought.

Buffy got up and answered the door, not really surprised to see Giles, Xander, Willow, and Oz all standing there.

"Sorry, but I'm not to good at the secret thing," Willow apologized.

"Is Jenny here?" Giles asked with concern in his voice.

"No, she went to the hospital to get some supplies."

"Supplies?" He asked."

"Why don't you just come in and wait on her," Buffy responded leading the gang into the bedroom.

"What the hell do you think you're doing???" Xander yelled. "It's simple, you go slay him like all the other vampires?"

"It's more complicated than that, Xander."

"Complicated, how? When Jesse was turned into a vampire you told me that I had to view him not as my best friend, but the thing that murdered him. I don't see how this is any different."

"Jesse didn't have a soul, Angel does."

"You're sure of that?" Giles asked. "Angel still has his soul?"

Buffy nodded. Then Giles noticed the interesting array of spell books lying around. He knew his girlfriend was a Technopagan, but some of these books were very old. Then Giles noticed the diary. "What's this?" He asked.

Buffy grabbed for the book. "That. . . that's nothing. Really nothing." Buffy was a terrible liar.

Giles looked at the first page. "This book has Cassandra's name in it. Was it hers?" "Well, kinda in that, it was her diary."

"Her diary? I didn't know that gypsies had written records."

"Yeah, well, guess she wasn't as stupid as Angel thought."

"However did you get your hands on that?" Giles asked.

"It's complicated." "Everything's complicated now, huh?" Xander piped in.

Giles also noticed the rest of the items in the box on the floor. "Did all of this belong to Cassandra?"

Buffy nodded. How was she going to keep Ms. Calendar's secret? Luck would have it that she didn't have to worry about that. Ms. Calendar walked in with items she had stolen from the hospital. "I got it Buffy, are you ready?" Jenny called as she walked in the door. Then noticing that Buffy was not alone she said, "Oh, Giles, what are you doing here?" "I'd like to know what's going on," Giles responded in a slightly unkind tone. "Yeah, me too," Xander said. "What are you doing with a blood transfusion kit?" Buffy stared at Ms. Calendar, implicating that she should tell the truth now.

"Okay, I have something to tell everybody, which may come as a shock. I haven't been completely honest with you. Buffy has been having dreams of my great great grandmother, Cassandra. I'm a descendant of the clan that punished Angel. I've been helping Buffy find a way to help Angel, and I've found one. Angel has to drink a mixture of Buffy and Angel's blood." "You're a what?" Giles responded. .

"He has to drink what? Are you crazy?" Xander replied. Both men were being completely obstinate. .

"I think it's sweet that Buffy is going to help Angel."Oz came to her rescue.

"Yeah, me too. It's sorta romantic," Willow added. .

"Drinking blood, there's a good first date," Xander said. .

"Okay, that enough of this. I'm helping Angel and it doesn't really.

matter to me what the rest of you think," Buffy said. Giles was still in shock from learning of Ms. Calendar's past. "Giles," Jenny whispered. "Are you okay?"

Giles nodded. "I can't believe you didn't tell me this."

"I wanted too, but it would have put everybody in danger. I'm sorry I wasn't honest with you."

"It's all right. I understand. We all have our secrets," Giles said, looking at each person in the room. First he glanced at Buffy, then Xander, Willow, and Oz.

"Can we get on with the blood draining thing?" Buffy asked in an impatient tone.

"You're really going to do this?" Xander asked.

Buffy nodded. She was not changing her mind.

Ms. Calendar positioned Buffy on the bed and began to insert the needle into her left arm to draw her blood. She was giving Buffy instructions on what exactly was going on.

"You know Buffy, this could be very dangerous," Giles pointed out.

"I know," she responded.

Jenny had to be blunt. "Buffy, I'm not 100% sure this spell will work. Even if you do manage to get Angel to drink the blood mixture, we aren't positive it will have any effect at all."

"I don't care, Buffy responded. "I have to try. Even if he kills me, at least I tried."

"Do you think that's what Angel would want?" Willow asked in an understanding voice. "Angel?" Buffy turned away. "Angel would tell me to stake him and save myself. . . but I don't care. I have a chance at saving him, and I'm not letting it go."

It wasn't long before Buffy had given enough blood for the task. Ms. Calendar poured the blood into a jar, closed it, and handed it to Buffy. I want you to lay down here for at least another hour before you go. You'll be too weak otherwise," Jenny said.

Buffy agreed. "I want the rest of you out of here, so that she can get some rest."

Although they weren't happy with the plan, the others reluctantly agreed. They left the rooms with words of good luck.

Scene 18

Jenny shut the door quietly and stepped into the living room. She felt the tension in the room and didn't know what to do. Luckily, Xander broke the silence.

"So, Will, you want me to take ya home?" He asked.

Willow paused not sure what to say. "Umm, actually, Xander," she began, trying to soften the blow. "I think I'll just go home with Oz. That's is of course if that's all right with you, Oz," she said with a coy smile. "Sure," Oz grinned right back at her.

"Oh, fine. I . . . I understand. No hurt feelings here," Xander said walking out the door.

"Xander wait!!" Willow yelled, but it was too late. He was gone. She sighed. "Why did men have to be so difficult and unpredictable?"

Oz waited to see her reaction. After it was obvious that she was waiting for him, he walked up to her. "Ready?" he asked. She nodded. They walked out the door together at just a close enough distance to show they were definitely a couple.

Jenny suddenly became aware that she and Giles were alone together. Her mind raced as to what to say, where to begin.

"Jenny, we need to talk." Those words ran chills up her spine. No good conversation ever began that way.

"Rupert, please let me explain,"she begged.

"Okay, I'm listening," he responded in a cool, collected manner.

Jenny hadn't expected that response. She didn't really have an answer. "Rupert, I wanted to tell you. I wanted to tell you everything, but I couldn't."

"Oh, you couldn't? I trusted you. I trusted you with Buffy's secret, with knowing I'm a watcher. You couldn't find the faith in me to tell me you're a gypsy?"

Jenny felt sick. She had never seen Giles so angry before. She started crying. "You don't know what would have happened to me. If Angel had found out that I was the one torturing him . . . and if my people found out that he knew that. . . do you think they would have just let it go??? You have no idea what it's been like wanting to help Buffy, Angel, you; but knowing that I can't!!" Jenny buried her face in her hands weeping.

Regretting his harsh words, Giles reached out and put his arm around her. "Shhh, it's okay. I understand." Giles tried to calm her down, because he truly did love her.

Scene 19 Back in Ms. Calendar's bedroom Buffy began to drift off to sleep. Again she saw a vision Cassandra.

"Cassandra, we found the key, but how do I get Angel to drink our blood?" Buffy asked the beautiful young girl.

"True love will conquer, Buffy. You have to believe in you and Angel."

"I do, but what about Angelus? I'm not going to be able to convince him to drink it."

"Angel will listen." Cassandra drifted off into the clouds as Buffy awoke with a start.

Buffy looked at her watch and flopped back onto the bed. She did still feel weak, but she needed to help Angel now. Every minute she waited gave Angelus the opportunity to kill another young girl.

Knowing that Jenny would let her leave so soon, she grabbed the jar and opened the window. She had become and expert in slipping out the back way.

Scene 20

Buffy stood at Angel's door, still not sure what she was going to do. "Just go with it, Buffy. Find Angel in there and get him to drink it," she said to herself. Buffy raised her hand to the door and knocked lightly.

"Come in," an evil voice responded from inside.

"Angel," she said peeking her head around the door.

Angelus jumped up, seeing Buffy, and pulled her further into the room. "Buffy, you came to me. I knew you'd change your mind."

"Yes," Buffy said. "I . . . brought you a present. Close your eyes."

"Ohhh, you're a naughty girl. Playing a trick on me huh? Give me the stake, Buffy."

"No stake, here," she said handing him the jar.

"Buffy, I prefer the fresh stuff now. Gave up the bagged, trying to stay away from preservatives you know," Angel responded in a joking yet evil tone.

"It's mine," she whispered with a smile. "God I hope this works," she prayed. "I want you to have it, to have something from me, to symbolize our togetherness. Drink it."

"What are you up to? Did you drug it?"

"No! I thought you would like it, never mind!" Buffy yelled pretending to be angry and leaving.

^ÓWhy don't you let me have some of the fresh version?^Ô Angel asked longingly as he reached out to Buffy.

Buffy froze in her tracks. Her heart was pounding. " It only takes a drop, if he really loves me . . ."

"Do you love me?" She asked.

Angel gently caressed her cheek. "I love you more than my own self, Buffy. That's why I want you with me."

"Good," she whispered. "You can have some of mine." Buffy was scared to death. She didn't have the slightest clue if this was actually going to work or if Angel would kill her. In either case, they would be together.

Angel started to bite, but Buffy stopped him. "Wait," she whispered. She grabbed his hand and scratched his finger. As the blood dripped from Angel's finger she traced it along her neck, leaving a trail of Angel's blood along her. "Now,"she whispered.

Angel gave her a strange look but did not retrain himself. She was acting very weird, but he didn't care as long as she was willing to join him. Angelus bared his teeth and was about to bite when Angel broke through. "Buffy, don't let him do this. Run, run away from here!" The loving Angel begged her.

Seeing the real Angel rested Buffy's fears. She put her finger to his Lips. "Trust me," she whispered. "Just do it."

Angel stared at her confused, but Angelus took over again. He opened his mouth and submerged his teeth into her right jugular. Before he had even had a sip, Buffy's blood mixed with the drops of Angel's on her neck. Angel got one taste, but after the first drops he screamed out in pain. "Buffy!!!!" Angel was obviously in excruciating pain. He doubled over and Buffy rushed to his side, holding him. Angel groaned and shook. Buffy didn't know what to do. Then all of the sudden, he stopped.

"Angel," she whispered tentatively. In a complete state of shock, Angel glanced up at her in amazement. "What happened?"

"What do you remember?"

"You're bleeding!" Angel said in horror, reaching his hand up to her neck. "I bit you."

"I'm okay," Buffy responded so relieved to see her Angel back.

Angel opened the same medical kit he had used on himself just days earlier. He quickly dressed Buffy's wound with teary eyes.

"Good as new," Buffy said with a grin when Angel placed the last piece of tape on her.

"Oh God, Buffy! What have I done?" Angel said in a terrified voice, sitting down on his bed.

Buffy joined him on the bed and put her arm around him. "How many?" He asked. "How many did I kill, Buffy? I can remember at least 6 or 7. "The looks on their face. Oh God, Buffy! I can see it so clearly."

"Shhh," she whispered. "It wasn't you, it was Angelus."

Angel shook his head. 'I watched as he did it. I saw it all happen." He was so guilt stricken he just wanted to die, to hurt himself as much as he had hurt those girls. "Willow," he remembered. "I bit Willow."

"She's fine. Actually, you saved her. Angelus would have killed her, but you saved her."

Angel just sat there shaking his head, infuriated with himself. He started crying. In the 140 years he had lived with a soul, Angel had never felt this terrible before. Hurting Buffy, hurting her friends; this was worse than murdering his own family, worse than what he did to Druscilla.

Buffy realized that Angel just needed to cry it out. She held him and tried her best to comfort him.

Buffy stayed until Angel cried himself to sleep. She wanted to stay longer, to fall asleep beside him, but she knew everyone would be worried about her. She had to go home and make a few check in calls.

Scene 21

Buffy walked into the school library, not wanting to explain the evening to everyone. She had called Ms. Calendar last night to let her know that she was fine. Buffy had been a little surprised, yet happy, when Giles answered her phone. They both already knew of the night's events, it was Xander that she didn't want to face.

Buffy reached up to make sure that her turtleneck was completely covering the wound. Maybe she would just leave that part out.

Xander immediately saw through that. "Oh great, we have another one in the turtleneck club. How warm is it outside Buffy? Guess it's a new fashion trend."

Buffy blushed slightly. She was embarrassed but angry as well. The boy had no tact whatsoever.

"Well, at least you're still here. What were you thinking when you let a vampire bite you willingly?"

Buffy just turned her attention to Giles. "Thanks for telling him."

Giles took on a stern tone. "Well you deserve it, Buffy. We asked you to stay until you got a little stronger, so you just snuck out without telling us. We were worried sick!"

"Thanks Daddy," Buffy said annoyed with him now too.

"At least everything worked out," Ms. Calendar said trying to diffuse the situation. She had experienced enough conflict the last few days.

"So how's Angel?" Willow asked in a concerned voice. She really was worried about how Angel was doing, and how Buffy was handling things.

"He's fine physically. Angelus seems to be well under control now,^Ô she paused, but he's having a lot of emotional problems." Buffy turned her glance away. "He's really sorry he bit you."

"Oh, that's going to make everything better now," Xander said in a bitter tone.

"I'm not mad at him. Angel didn't want to hurt me. Besides, I'm fine." Buffy was comforted by this.

"Willow, would you be willing to tell Angel that? I'd understand if you're too scared to be around him, but I think it would help him so much to hear those words from you."

"No way are either one of you going around death boy again!" Xander butted in yet again.

Willow just jabbed him with her elbow. "Of course I'll talk to him. Just tell me when.

"Tonight," Buffy said. A loud buzzer rang and the group dispersed for class.

"Buffy!" Giles hollered after her.

Buffy swung around, "Yeah."

"There's something you might want to read," he said handing her the day's newspaper. "Page 10."

Buffy flipped quickly to page 10 and grimaced when she saw it was the obituary page. "Thanks," she whispered.

Buffy quickly glanced down the list. Angel was right, 7 young girls died suspiciously. Looking at the pictures of the girls crushed Buffy. She knew some of them, some were in her class.

Scene 22

Buffy and Willow stood outside of Angel's loft. "You sure you're okay with this?" Buffy asked her.

Willow nodded. Buffy knocked and opened the door, not waiting for a response.

Angel looked a mess. He was sitting in his recliner, just staring off into space. Seeing Buffy, he focused on her. "Buffy, you shouldn't be here. I've been thinking about it and it just isn't safe for you to be around me." Angel had thought this speech out in head all day long, but he just couldn't finish.

Buffy ignored him completely. She pulled Willow into the room.

"Buffy, what are you doing? This was a really bad idea," Angel said.

"Willow has something to say to you."

Angel was terrified of what she might say. How could he possibly apologize to her for what he had done. He had tried to kill her. Would he be able to handle her accusations?

"Angel," Willow began. "I just wanted to let you know that I forgive you. I don't want you feeling bad over what happened. I know it wasn't your fault.

Angel wasn't expecting this response. He didn't know what to say. How could her tell how evil he was, that she should be afraid of him.

"I know that you're the one that saved me from Angelus, even though you were in the same body. I still trust you and I want to stay friends."

Buffy and Willow both smiled at Angel. "Willow, I'm so sorry. I don't know how you can forgive me, I'll never forgive myself."

Buffy grabbed Angel's hand. "Come on, we have a few more things to take care of."

Angel didn't understand, but followed her anyway. Buffy led him to a graveyard. She stopped at a newly laid grave. Angel read the name, "Veronica Stone." Angel shut his eyes and saw in his mind the way he had brutally murdered the girl.

"Tell her what you feel," Buffy whispered.

"Buffy," Angel began.

"Shh, just tell her. It will make you feel better and her too."

Angel nodded. Buffy started to walk off and leave Angel to talk the girl's spirit, but he stopped her. "Stay," he whispered. "Please."

Buffy smiled and held his hand while he began to speak. They went around to the graves of all seven girls. Each time Angel cried and apologized to the girls.

After the seventh grave Angel asked Buffy, "Is that the last one?"

"Not quite. There's one girl that's been waiting a long time to hear from you."

Buffy pulled out and handed Angel the locket that had been in Ms. Calendar's box. "It's Cassandra's," she whispered.

Angel recognized the locket immediately. "Buffy, I can't."

"She helped me save you, Angel. She's ready to reconcile."

Angel stared at the locket. "Cassandra, I'm sorry. I'm sorry I hurt you. I"m sorry I ruined your life."

The wind picked up and the couple heard a whisper, "you're forgiven."

. . .

Page 4 of 4
The End.

. . .


Fanfiction Index