Angel's Secrets

Creative Works   

Facing Fears
By Dreamer

Summary: Willow steps into the spotlight.
Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters from BtVS they belong to the great Joss, and I don't own the song "Come to my Window", if it doesn't belong to Melissa Etheridge, I don't know who it belongs to.  Please don't sue.
Author's Notes: This does come after "Happy Rebirthday, Angel" but it is NOT a sequel.  You don't need to read "Rebirthday" just know Angel has his soul.  This is just a little Willow/Oz side story.  Enjoy!

I love feedback, even flames as long as they're constructive.  PLEASE send feedback to lalaland(at)crosslink.net

. . .

It was just after sunset and the Bronze was filled with people.  Oz's band was playing on stage.  Buffy, Angel, Xander, Cordelia, Giles and Willow had just arrived together.  Two years ago tonight, Buffy had come to Sunnydale and changed all their lives.  They had come to celebrate all they had been through together since then.  The others put together two tables and sat down, as Willow went over to see Oz.  She stood at the edge of the stage for a moment before the song ended.

"Hey, Willow.  You ready for your debut?" Oz asked jumping off the stage.

"Uh, actually no," Willow said.

"What do you mean?"

"There are people here.  They'll be watching me.  I can't sing in front of people.  I .."

"Get stage fright?"

"Yes."

"Willow, there is nothing to be afraid of.  It's still early, and there aren't that many people here yet," Oz assured her.

"There are plenty of people.  Too many people!  I'll go up there and my throat will close up and I'll start sweating ... and when I try to sing, I'll be horrible."

"Willow, you sing wonderfully and besides I'll be on stage with you the whole time."

"You will?" Willow asked hopefully.
"Of course.  I'm in the band remember," Oz teased, as his heart soared at the tone of her voice.

"Oh yeah.  But the people-"

"They'll love you," he said firmly.

"But, my throat ... and," she said.

"Have you ever sung on stage before?"

"Well, no.  But ... "

"Then you can't be sure how you'll react."

"But-"

"And now, we have a guest singer.  Miss Willow Rosenburg singing 'Come to My Window'," the lead singer announced.  Her friends looked up in amazement, with their mouths hanging open.

"Oh no!"  Willow said, beginning to freak out again.

"They will love you.  Now, let's get up on stage," Oz said.

"Right.  You'll be there?" Willow said, trying to regain her confidence.

"I'm right behind you," Oz said, as they got up on stage.  Willow approached the microphone as Oz picked up his guitar.

"Umm ... This song is for a good friend of mine and for all couples.  And I hope she knows who she's supposed to be with for this one," Willow said, attempting to crack a joke.  The crowd giggled and Buffy mouthed a thanks.  The intro music began to play, and Willow began to sing.  Buffy sat and cuddled with Angel as she watched her friend sing.  Despite Willow's fear, she sang beautifully.  By the end of the first verse, Willow was totally relaxed.  She was jamming with Oz during the instrumentals and looked like she was having the time of her life.  Buffy could only think, that if Oz could bring this out in Willow, he must be the best thing for her.

The song was soon over.  The crowd broke into applause, as the song ended.  Willow made a sweeping bow, before leaving the stage.  Her checks were flushed and she was wearing a huge smile.  "I don't think anyone wants to follow that, so were taking five," an announcer said as the band piled off the stage.  Willow was jumping up and down at the stage side ecstatically.

"You were wonderful!!" Oz told her.

"I've never had so much FUN!  Once I got over my stage fright, I was fine.  It was great!!" Willow replied.

"I told you you'd be wonderful"

"I'd have backed out if it wasn't for you," she told him.  Suddenly a wonderful thought occurred to Willow.  She stopped jumping up and down and a suspicion glint came to her eyes.  "I'd like to thank you," she told him sweetly.

"Oh, I don't-" Oz began, but Willow effectively interrupted him by placing a hand behind his head and kissing him.  For a moment, Oz's eyes widen in surprise, before he returned the kiss.  I t was quick kiss, but it got both their attentions.  Willow had suddenly lost all the resolve she had had moments ago.  She could only stare into his eyes.

"Wow.  You know I don't usually like thank yous but I like thank yous from you," he told her sincerely.  Willow blushed and looked into his eyes.

"I'm not usually so forward," she said drawing away.

"I'm going to ask you something, but I'm still nervous 'cause it's Willow, you know."

"I understand.  Well sort of, I mean I understand, but it's the other way around for me."

"Oh," Oz said, a little confused.

"You see I'm naturally shy, 'cause I don't want to risk saying something wrong.  But with you, ... it's you," she finished rather lamely.

"Oh," he said dejectedly.

"No, no.  That's a good thing.  It means ... your worth the risk," Willow said, trying to get the right words out.  Oz visibly brightened and a smile lighted his face.

"Well, the band doesn't have a gig tomorrow night.  You want to go with me to the Bronze tomorrow?" Oz asked.

"Sure," Willow replied happily.

"Great," Oz said.  The band started finishing what they were doing and coming back towards the stage.

"I'm sure the band will be great tonight," Willow said, abruptly changing the subject.

"I hope so.  We're still trying to get past the 'we suck' stage."

"Oh, well good luck."

You know sometimes, a kiss is given for good luck," Oz said.

"Well then, good luck," she said, smiling and giving him a kiss.

"Come on, Oz" Devon said pulling Oz away from Willow and interrupting what was becoming a very, deep kiss.  Oz had a glazed look of contentment on his eyes that fairly matched the one on Willow's as he picked up his guitar.

"Wow," he breathed.  Willow watched him for a while before walking back towards the rest of the gang.  The glaze had left her eyes, but she still looked extremely happy as she was assaulted with praise of her performance.

"What took you so long, Wil?" Xander asked, genuinely puzzled.

"I was just talking with Oz," Willow replied, with seeming lightness.

"Just?" Buffy asked teasingly.  Willow blushed a little and looked up at Oz.  Buffy laughed and Xander looked shocked.  "I'll want all the details later," Buffy demanded.  Willow nodded and smiled to herself.  She would tell Buffy about the kiss, but not about how forward she had been.  It was just something that if you hadn't been there, you wouldn't believe it.

. . .

The End

. . .


Fanfiction Index