Angel's Secrets

Creative Works   

Though Lovers Be Lost (Part 3)
By Amy Mina
amymina(at)yahoo.com

Disclaimer: All of the characters like Buffy, Giles, Angel, etc. belong to Joss Whedon and the Mutant Enemy Company. Characters that were seen in Extra Help Needed still belong to themselves.

. . .

Bob walked into his room and locked the door. Taking his hot cup of cappuccino and setting it next to the computer, he logged on to the Internet. Giving it a minute to boot up, he stuffed a towel under the crack of the door and then locked it. He didn't need his foster mother coming in and asking him why he was staying up so late. He was always getting in trouble for that. Settling himself back in front of the computer, he picked up the nearest book, number ten of twenty-six. He turned on the lamp next to the computer and began to read. When the Internet was finally hooked up, he looked on the list of people on ICQ, and decided to do some other research on the web. He began looking up one site after another, trying to find a clue as to where the cure could be to Angel’s state. He finally found something, but it said it would take a few minutes to download. He took a sip of his cappuccino, when the screen began to fade out and a counter appeared on it. He almost choked on his drink, realizing that the site was rigged with a virus.

Bob rushed to get off the site, finding out that the computer refused to let him leave. Trying to keep from screaming out a string of curses at the computer, he reached behind and took out the modem plug and turn off the computer. When the screen blanked out again, he breathed a sigh of relief. I should have know he would do this. Angelus always covers every perimeter. Coming to the conclusion that the internet would be of no help to him, he settle down and kept skimming through the book. Another long night ahead.


. . .

Giles stood behind Willow while she was working at the computer. Willow was looking up more information on the Internet, hoping to discover if Angelus was going to attack the Fems in New York. Unfortunately, because most of the ancient texts had to do with the slayers and not with her friends or any time of help, Willow was coming to a dead end every time she turned around.

Giles tried to focus at the clock and discovered that it was already long past sundown. It was almost midnight. Trying to stifle a yawn that threatened to escape, he headed to the office to get another cup of tea. Once that was accomplished, he walked to the counter and sat on a nearby stool. Opening the infamous Codex, he made himself comfortable. It was only Tuesday, and at this rate, he didn’t know how the slayer and her friends were going to make it to the weekend. He let him mind wander for a few minutes, feeling sympathy for everyone involved with Angelus. It was turning out to be a mess.

When a squeaking noise entered the library, Giles jumped and picked up the stake next to him. Willow froze in her spot, afraid to move. He motioned to he was going towards door, and slowly advanced over to it. When he got there and the doors were in his sight, he could detect a slight movement, but other then that, no one was there. His face showed his puzzlement, but he went back toward his stool.

"What was it?" questioned Willow.

"Oh, nothing, just wind," he replied. When Willow looked unconvinced, he tried to create an excuse. "Maybe it was a mouse."

"I don’t think so watcher," came the arrogant British voice. Giles turned quickly to the voice, and saw Spike, sitting in a wheelchair. Willow immediately jumped up and ran over to Giles for protection, still intimidated by the vampire.

"What do you want?" questioned Giles.

"Don’t worry yourself, watcher, I’m not here to fight you. I’m here to help you."

Giles grasped onto the stake even tighter and his face turned into a mask of disbelief. "With what?"

"Angelus, I know what he is planning and I know where he is going to strike next."

"What?" Willow jumped in. "What is going to happen?"

"First, put down the stake. I don’t like having it anyplace near me," Spike demanded in his usual arrogant tone.

"How do I know you won’t have us killed as soon as I throw it down?" asked Giles.

"Listen, mate, if I had wanted to you killed, you would already be dead. Also, call the Slayer."

Giles went over to the phone and dialed Buffy’s number. She picked it up on the fourth ring, sounding very disoriented.

"What?" questioned Buffy.

"Buffy, get over to the library right now."

"What?" She questioned, sounding more awake. "Giles? What is going on?"

"Spike is here, and he says that he has some information about Angelus."

"I’m coming," he heard, before the dial tone reappeared in his ear. That’s the second time in the past two days that someone has done that to me, he thought, replacing the receiver. Turning to Spike, he dropped the stake.

"She’s on her way."

"Good."

Within a few minutes of the call, Buffy ran into the library, evidently out of breath. "What is going on here?"

"Before I tell you anything," said Spike, "you must promise me that you won’t hurt Drusilla."

"What?" said the slayer through clinched teeth, trying to keep her temper with this vampire. "I am not promising anything to you."

"You’re not exactly in a position to bargain, slayer. I suggest you promise that to me before I tell you anything."

"And what makes you think I will keep that promise?"

"You did before, so I suspect that you will now."

Buffy turned toward Giles and raised her eyebrows. He shrugged his shoulder and he turned back to Spike. "Okay, fine. I won’t hurt Drusilla."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

"Good, remember that."

"Will you just come out and say what you came here to say already," she said, getting annoyed.

"Your boyfriend, Angelus-"

"He's NOT my boyfriend."

"He left Sunnydale tonight, and took the majority of my vampire followers with him."

"What?"

"They went to New York to visit his little friend."

"Oh dear," managed Giles.

"Angelus is planning to strike at Amy and her friends while she is at the prom."

"And why did you tell me this?" asked Buffy, quickly. "What’s in it for you?"

Spike shifted to a more comfortable position in his chair. "My kingdom, plan and simple. Angelus took over and he has taken Dru. I can’t get them back the way that I am, so the best thing to do for me is to get rid of Angelus."

"What do you expect me to do?" asked Buffy.

"Get rid of Angelus. I don’t care what you do with him, you could give him back that annoying soul if you wanted to, I just want him gone."

Buffy turned from Spike and walked over to Giles. "We need to get to New York, soon. They aren’t going to be ready for this."

"What about Spike?" asked Willow. Buffy turned around and the vampire was gone.

"Darn, he’s got that disappearing thing down too."

"How can we get out of school to do this?" asked Willow. "I mean, Principal Snyder is already breathing down our necks all of the time."

"We need to contact our connections in New York," said Giles, walking to the phone. "I believe that Mr. Upton could get us there and places to stay quickly, but you two need to go home and pack. Also, Willow, call Oz, and let him know. Buffy, call Xander and Cordelia."

"You’re going to take all of us?" asked Buffy, surprised.

"If Angel is headed to New York, I may need all of your help. Now go, and hurry. I need you both to be back here by the time school starts, already to go."

"Who is going to take care of things here?"

"I'll call Kendra. I'm sure she can hold things down for a few days, especially if most of the vampires aren't here."


. . .

"Sure," said Mr. Upton, into the phone. "I can get you a place to stay quickly. Why?"

"We need to get to New York, I’ll explain it to you later."

"What time will you be here?"

"The lady from the airport assured me that we should be there by seven o’clock tonight."

"Should I pick you up?"

"No, I have rented a van from the airport, and they have a map to give me directions to Barker. I’ll meet you at the school as soon as I can be there."

"How many of you are coming?"

"Six of us. Me, two young gentlemen and three young ladies."

"There is going to be a concert at the school tonight. If it is going on when you get there, meet me afterwards in the chorus room."

"Where will that be?"

"Just follow the chorus when the concert is over and you will find it. Don't worry. Our school is at least half the size of yours."

"Okay."

"See you tonight."

"Thanks."

Giles hung up the phone and checked his watch. It was only four o’clock in California. He grabbed his jacket and headed to his apartment to pack.


. . .

Angela grabbed the phone as she finished cooking her breakfast eggs. "Hello?" she questioned.

"Angela, this is Mr. Upton. I just got a call from Giles. He is coming to New York with a crew of kids. I wanted to know if one of the girls could stay with you."

"Who?"

"I don’t know who is coming."

"Okay, let me ask."

Angela left the eggs for a minute, and went to talk to her grandmother. "Grandma? Can we have someone stay here for a few days?"

"Who?" asked the grandmother.

"A friend from California."

"I don’t see why not. When will they be here?"

Angela grabbed the phone from the coffee table, and asked Mr. Upton the question. "Around seven at the airport," Angela reported to her grandmother. "He can call us when they are at the school. He says they will probably be there during the concert."

"We can pick them up then. If they arrive later, you can pick them up in the truck."

Angela reported to Mr. Upton that is was okay, and hung up the phone to finish getting ready for school. Once she arrived there, the first time Beth did was run over to Angela and tell her about the call from Mr. Upton. Angela smiled and answered that she received the same one. "Who do you think is coming?" asked Beth.

"I'm not sure, but if Willow is coming, she can stay with me."

"Xander can stay with me," said Beth.

Angela laughed. "Beth! Is your mom going to let a guy stay at your house?"

Beth shrugged. "My mom doesn't care. As long as we don't share the same room, she could care less. He can have Amy's usual room considering she won't be using it anytime soon. Heck, we could have a party!"

"True. If Giles is coming, then so is Buffy. So, who are the other two?"

"Who knows? Mary!!" shouted Beth, as her friend rounded the corner. Angela sighed at her friend's short attention span and presently left, heading for her class.


. . .

"Uggh," complained Buffy, once they were on the plane. "Why did Principal Snyder insist that we get our homework before we leave? I don't want to spend all of my free time working on this. What type of vacation is this?"

"This isn't a vacation, Buffy," said Giles. "Our reason for going to New York is to keep our friends safe."

"In other words, to make sure that the crazed vampire keeps from adding to the list of dead friends."

"Thanks a lot Xander," said Cordelia. "I think we all understood Giles."

"Did you call Kendra?" asked Willow.

"Her watcher is sending her. She should be to Sunnydale sometime today."

"That's good," replied Buffy, leaning back in her chair. "If you guys don't mind, I'm not in the mood to do any homework, so I'm going to take a nap."

Before anyone could reply, Buffy was already comfortably situated in her chair and relaxed. No one had to the heart to disturb her and let her be.


. . .

You're crazy, said a voice in Amy's head. All Mr. Kraus and your friends have ever done is help and protect you. Why would they ever lie to you? Amy shook her hand and put it in her hands. It was halfway through the slow moving day. Only two days before, she wouldn't have been thinking these about things. Trying to get her thought back on band, she listened to the conductor talk about the concert. Amy had heard this many times, so it was hard to concentrate. She looked over towards Beth, and immediately looked away. The thoughts entered her head again. She laid down her instrument, and put her hands out in front of her like a scale. Angel, friend since childhood, she thought to herself, lifting the right hand. My mentor, and two friends that have put their lives in danger for me. Lifting her left hand, she pretending to balance a scale. Whom do I trust? I told him he was a liar, but is he really? Why would he lie to me? But why would Angel do this? I don't know whom to believe.

Amy was so engrossed in her train of thought, she didn't hear the conductor, Mr. Chodos, tell the band to get ready to play. When the band began to play, Amy jumped and quickly grabbed her clarinet, hoping that the teacher hadn't notice.

After a few bars, the conductor quickly cut off the band, and looked right at her. I'm in trouble, she thought, sinking down in her seat.

"Miss Jones," he said, addressing Amy, "is it too much to ask that you pay attention for forty minutes and get ready for this concert tonight?" Amy turned twenty different shades of red. "I didn't think so. Detention after school, so that I can personally make sure you know your parts."

"Yes, sir," she mumbled. This will have to wait until later.


. . .

Alicia took her books from her locker. She felt her neck, to make sure that the cross she always were was firmly in place. She hadn't believed in vampires until Amy had told her. Now, she not only wore her cross, she was sure to carry a stake with her at night. It was so weird to have to defend herself against something she had been taught never existed. Every night now, she offered up a prayer for her friends and family, leaving them in God's hands and protection.. Shutting her locker, she walked towards lunch, when Mr. Kraus stopped her.

"Alicia, wait up a second," he called out. She turned around and found him jogging down the hall towards her. "Alicia, I just wanted to apologize for the scene that you saw in my room a few days ago with Amy."

"Oh, don’t worry about it. She explained it to me." Alicia smiled politely and readjusted her books. Instinctively, she brushed the cross with her hand.

"Nice cross," said Mr. Kraus. "How long have you had it?"

"My mom gave it to me a few years ago for Christmas."

He nodded, and then locked eyes with her. "You know, don't you?"

Alicia tried to deny his allegations, but nothing came from her open mouth.

"I now she talked to you Alicia."

"How did you know?" she asked surprised.

"I know Amy. Well enough, never mind. How much did she tell you?"

Alicia looked at the ground and focused on her sandals. "Everything. The slayer, Angel, the Fems, even your part in her world."

"Is that why you are wearing that cross?"

"One reason. It makes me feel a little safer."

Mr. Kraus nodded his head in understanding. "I know how you feel. Be careful."

"I will, you don't need to worry about that."


. . .

"She knows," Mr. Kraus reported to Beth and Angela. "Alicia knows everything."

"Doesn't that put her in more danger?" asked Beth.

"I don't think so. Alicia is Amy's friend, and obviously a very loyal one. Angelus will find this out, and Alicia would be in danger anyway."

"Is Amy any closer to coming back?" asked Angela.

"I don't know. She talks to me as much as I talk to Angel these days."

"Where are Pete and Brad?" asked Beth.

"I'm not sure. They said they had something to do. Anyway, they are coming along quickly for two normal humans who are trying to learn to fight vampires. They are determined to be ready for anything. They have even offered to help fight if needed."

"What should we do then?"

"I need to get ready for the concert tonight. I don't want to ruffle feathers of the teachers and school board by not being prepared."

"Do we need to watch for Angelus?" questioned Angela.

"No, I don't think so. Giles called me early this morning to let me know he was on the way, and to warn me that Angelus is planning to strike at the prom."

"Who is coming from Sunnydale?

"Giles, Buffy, Willow and her boyfriend Oz, Xander, and Cordelia."

"Oz, who is Oz?"

"I'm not sure, but it must be important if he is coming."

"Okay," said Beth, standing up. "See you at the concert." She jogged out of the room and ran towards the gym.

Angela stood up slower. "I think Amy will come around," she assured Mr. Kraus. "I really do."

"I know, but I don’t know how long it will be. If Giles is right, and Angelus strikes at the prom, Amy needs to be ready. Not only physically, but emotionally. And at this rate, I don't know if that will happen."

. . .

Page 3 of 7
Read the next part
>>

. . .


Fanfiction Index