Angel's Secrets

Creative Works   

Memories Recalled (Page 3)
By Jessi Knorr

Disclaimer: Not mine, never were, never will be. They're Joss', aka The Devil. I own Sage, Summer, Tia, Cora and all the other weird people, plus the plot.
Author's Notes:People, feedback is the word! Email me, or even better, head to the Addiction and read more!! But please send me feedback.Or do you want me to quit writing and take over the Store like my mom wants??

. . .

Chapter 2

*But of course, that was 8 years ago. Life goes on... Unfortunately.* Buffy Summers thought as she scrawled out an appointment card for the elderly Ms. Bellows and then in her schedule book. She'd been daydreaming all day of her former years, the time when she was a youthful Slayer of 16. When she bypassed 25, the Council, whoever the bastards were, had rewarded her with a plaque, a letter of congratulations and her being relieved of her duties. In secret, of course, as she couldn't very well reveal to her son that his mommy won school awards by day, killed icky things at night. *First Slayer, then secretary. There's something to put on your resume: Former jobs, accomplishes, awards; Slayer of the undead, killed everything from mummies, to the Mayor, to my vampiric boyfriend, got "Class Protector" award at senior prom.* Buffy smiled ruefully and bid the old woman goodbye. As the hag staggered to the front of the lobby of her doctor's office, the door came flying open, pushed by a small boy with short black hair and green eyes, a rounded square face and high cheekbones in a jacket donning the Anaheim Angels logo and his school bag.

"Sage, hold the door for Ms. Bellows." Buffy sermonized her son. He raced back to the closing door and held it for the woman.

"Oh thank you Sage. Such nice manners."

"You're welcome Ms. Bellows. See you next time." He replied in his small, third grader's voice as politely as possible. She smiled a toothless grin at him and slowly made her way out. "Hi Mom." Sage greeted, finally slumping into the nearest chair and pulling off his pack.

"Hey kiddo. Listen, once Aunt Willow and Uncle Oz finish up here, we're all going out for ice cream at Dickey's," Sage's eyes lit up and he beamed hopefully. "They asked if you'd want to come but I said, 'Oh no, he doesn't like ice cream', so we're all going out. You have to drive yourself home tonight." Buffy joked playfully.

"Please Mom? Please?" Sage pleaded,looking at her with wide and near teary eyes.

"Well... " he brought out the big guns,the Puppy Pout that she always had used to reduce her watcher,mother or other higher power,to mush. *Where did he learn that?* "Okay. But only if you finish your homework."

"Yes!" Sage threw his hands up in triumph, getting polite smiles from a few of the other partons in the office. He picked out a large textbook from his bag with a piece of paper and a pen sticking out of it. Before getting to his third grader's math, he jolted up. "I forgot, Tia and Summer are coming up. I saw them with their daddy in the Junk Shop." Buffy nodded knowingly and looked down her appointment book. The Cooper twins, 3:45. Their mother Cora usually went in with them, but she was away on some business trip so she'd told her boyfriend, the kids' father, to take them in. Sage and the two were best friends but oddly enough, Buffy had never seen their dad.

The door swung open again. Tia Cooper,her dark hair up in an expensive looking pair of clips and wearing a midlength white and pink skirt and matching blouse,sauntered in casually and waved to her schoolmate.

"Hi Mrs. Summers!" she greeted Buffy.

"Hey Tia. Where's Summer?"

"She tripped on the stairs. Daddy's bringing her up." Buffy smiled at the sweet little girl as the door to their right came open, revealing a medium height young man with red hair and a goatee. The nametag he wore on his white coat read "Oz Rosenberg".

"Tia. What's up? Where's your sister?" Oz greeted the girl with a high five.

"She fell." They disappeared back into Oz's office, engaged in a conversation about this and that. Through the office door across the lobby, Buffy saw the other doctor, same height as Oz, darker red hair. Her heart shaped face was bright and her coffee eyes cheerful. Willow Rosenberg smiled at her friend and turned back to the papers that were on her desk. Buffy sighed happily and hunched over her paperwork when the front opened again. Summer limped slightly while she crossed the carpet to Oz's office. The secretary waved, she waved back, and went in. Buffy went back to her work but looked up when a large, rather well-built young man in black stepped through the entrance. She blushed slightly, noticed she was staring at his torso and tried to focus on her work, unsuccessfully as the man came over and giving up when she sat in his shadow.

"Daniel Cooper I presume?" she asked, not looking up.

"Yes. I was just wondering how long this will take, because I have to get out of here by four."

"It should only-" Buffy brought her head up and stopped. Her heart stopped along with her words. *No. No! It can't be him!* There he was, looming over her, the one man in all the world who could make her have a heart attack like this, who would make it both cry out with joy and sorrow in the same instant. He was older and had aged like most do in a decade, but otherwise he was exactly the same. Same hair, same fashion; leather duster, black jeans and silk shirt, same dark swirling eyes. The same eyes she lost herself in so many times before... She was so lost in dreaded thoughts she didn't notice that she'd collapsed onto the carpet.

"Are you all right miss?" Daniel ran over to her and took her by the arm. Buffy pulled away and quickly as possible got to her feet.

"Yeah, I had a... bad lunch... food poisoning... " she clutched her head and stomach fakely. She was never able to pull one by him before. Could she do it now? By the way he kept his hand on her arm, no. Buffy quickly pulled back again and picked up the phone on the desk. She punched the first speed dial button and waited. "Oz? I'm sorry... I got food poisoning from that... squid. I'm going home. No, I'm not going to be able to make it." She slammed the receiver into the cradle, avoided Daniel as she sidestepped him, grabbed Sage by the arm and pulled him out, his homework and all. The other patients watched the door bang shut, the doctors stepped out in time to see her breeze out. Willow looked to her desk and saw her reason for panic. Oz didn't see him, despite being five feet from Daniel, and brought the twins back in. Daniel creased his eyebrows and glanced around her desk then at the garbage with the empty Chinese cartons stuffed inside.

. . .

Page 3 of 8
Read the next part
>>

. . .


Fanfiction Index