Angel's Secrets

Creative Works   

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (Part 2)
By Eliz
ealutz(at)hotmail.com

Spoilers: Contains a pretty well-known, extremely general SEASON 4 SPOILER regarding Angel... BEWARE! Hey - you probably have heard it already... but if not, you've been warned - don't blame me, 'kay? As for the rest, it's just purely mushy, very hopeful speculation on my part! ;)
Disclaimer: They're not mine. Sadly, they never were. I just sneak them away from the big guy every so often for a little fun. And, as usual, I'm quick to suggest that I treat them a lot better than their *cough* actual owner. ;)

. . .

For Angel, dinner couldn't possibly have lasted any longer. First of all, he was trapped at the table with all that garlic... burning his eyes and his throat unmercifully. By the time Buffy figured out what was going on and explained to her mother why he was wheezing and his eyes were tearing up, he'd drained most of the wine bottle by himself. It didn't help the burning, but it did put a new, more mellow, perspective on the evening. He just wished it had lasted longer, because he was stone cold sober again when Joyce bluntly asked him what his plans for the future were.

When he'd haltingly admitted that he wasn't sure, Joyce had cast a significant glance at Buffy, who'd glared rebelliously back at her mother and refused to comment. It had made for tense dinner non-conversation... because neither woman spoke for the rest of the meal, and he was still too sunk in his garlic-induced misery to start any small-talk on his own.

The one bright spot had been that Joyce seemed to genuinely enjoy the meal... and Buffy had eaten it with an enthusiastic appreciation that had charmed him.

Now, clearing the table while Buffy and Joyce waited for him by the tree, Angel felt his feet dragging and his will flagging. At this point, he couldn't imagine what had ever possessed him to agree to such a ridiculous idea. Had he willingly subjected himself to this? Or had it been Buffy's idea? Now he couldn't remember, but he felt very put-upon either way. It just wasn't worth...

Buffy's silvery laugh reached his ears, making him smile spontaneously. The sound immediately soothed him, calmed his agitation and brought back to him the reason he'd decided to do this at all - Buffy. He wanted her to be happy, and he knew that her mother's opinion meant a lot to her. So... the plan had been to win her mother over with his breathtaking culinary skills and sparkling personality. He now realized, listening to Buffy giggle in the other room, that maybe that hadn't been the wisest - or most realistic - course. Perhaps it was time to try a little good, old-fashioned honesty.


. . .

He stood in the arch of the doorway for a long moment, staring at the two women. Whatever friction his relationship with Buffy might be causing, the two were obviously very close nevertheless. They were discussing something quietly on the sofa, Buffy's feet drawn up underneath her body as she leaned closer to hear what her mother was saying. Joyce might never have noticed him standing there at all - but Buffy looked up after only a moment, her whole face brightening at the sight of him. She immediately hopped up and crossed the room to his side. He watched her approach, happy at least that she seemed to think the evening was going well. He wondered if it were simply her incurable optimism, or if she was better at reading her mother's emotions than he was. The latter was certainly possible...

"Ooh! Mistletoe," Buffy commented perkily.

Feeling as though fate were toying with him tonight, Angel looked up - only to see a sprig of mistletoe hanging directly over his head. He lowered his eyes to observe Buffy still making a beeline for him. Trapped. Helpless. Most certainly at her mercy.

An abrupt cough came from across the room just as Buffy cornered him - causing her to spring guiltily back, and him to jerk as if he'd been shot. Joyce's voice seemed absurdly loud and accusing to his ears. "It's about time for us to be heading back home, don't you think, Buffy?" Angel cast a hunted glance at Buffy, and moved away from the tempting sprig of Christmas cheer before grabbing her hand gently and leading her over to her mother. Joyce was already halfway to the front door. Angel hurried to catch up. Fetching her coat from the closet, he courteously helped her into it.

"Well, Angel... this has been a lovely evening," Joyce said.

He searched her tone for any sign of sarcasm, and was surprised to find none. She almost sounded sincere. Almost. "Actually, Mrs. Summers... there's something I wanted to give you... a Christmas present of sorts." He ignored Buffy's wide-eyed, inquiring gaze, instead focusing fully on her mother's face, trying desperately to convey his sincerity in this moment. "I know you don't think much of me," he started softly, fighting not to drop his gaze. Seeing that she was about to politely protest, he shook his head and continued. "No... I wouldn't either, if I were in your place. But... that aside, I want you to know that I live my life - such as it is - to protect your daughter from harm. I want her to be the oldest, happiest Slayer ever... and you may not believe that of me now, but just please... please give me a chance to prove it?" He'd been turning this over in his head for weeks, and he'd wanted to finish his pledge firmly, but instead he found himself entreating her to trust his words.

She surprised him again by staring straight into his eyes and nodding. "I believe you'll try, Angel. I may not seem like the most open-minded and understanding of mothers -" Buffy made a small sound of protest, "- but I believe you have my daughter's best interests at heart." She paused, not seeming to know what else to say... but for Angel it was enough. He felt relief pour over him as a balm that soothed away all the uncomfortable, awkward moments from earlier in the evening.

Joyce finally turned away from him, looking for her daughter. "Buffy?"

Buffy - who had been watching their exchange with rapt attention - blinked, then closed her gaping mouth and smiled at her mother. "Do you think I could stay for a little longer, Mom? I promise I'll be home in an hour... or two, tops," she wheedled.

"I suppose," Joyce agreed doubtfully. "Just be certain you let me know when you get home... I'll be waiting up," she warned Buffy, while staring pointedly at Angel.

"Thanks, Mom... I'll walk you out to the car, okay?" Buffy slipped past Angel to follow her mother through the door, both of them disappearing into the night.


. . .

"Well, my mom seemed to really like your present," Buffy sighed softly against his shoulder, her eyes fixed on the Christmas tree lights.

Angel finally released some of the tension he'd been under the entire evening with an uncharacteristic chuckle. "Thank God for that. I was pretty worried about it." He tilted his head to lay his cheek on her shining fall of hair, feeling her snuggle more fully into his side, drawing her feet up to burrow them under one of the warm pillows.

"I know," she giggled in response. "Presents?" she suggested hopefully a moment later.

"Not until morning. We agreed on that," he reminded her patiently. She was planning on coming over again on Christmas morning, sans her mother this time, to celebrate with him alone. He was greatly looking forward to it. He could almost feel Buffy's eyes devouring the wrapped packages under the tree... trying to determine by shape alone what they held. He grinned a little, glad he'd taken the time to conspire with Willow on a few of her gifts.

She pulled slightly away from his side suddenly, turning the full force of a cute pout on him. "Please?" she pleaded adorably.

He laughed out loud this time, dragging her back against his side. "No. You can wait if I can."

"No... no I can't," she wriggled against his grasp, trying to move into a position where she could try the pout again. He resisted firmly, knowing he probably wouldn't be able to deny her twice. Trying to distract her, he brought up her mother once more. "I'm glad you think tonight went well, Buffy - I wasn't so sure I was going to make it."

She stilled, considering his words. "You did look slightly like you were a flight-risk a few times, but I think she's warming up to you. I mean, she let me stay a little longer tonight without a fight."

"Just a disapproving glare," Angel pointed out.

"Oh, that wasn't much of one, though. I've gotten much worse, believe me," Buffy assured him. "Anyway, I think the turning point was what you said to her."

"I was so relieved she believed me," Angel admitted, pulling a little wrapped gift out of his pocket. "I had these as a backup bribe, but..." he lied smoothly.

Buffy snatched the box off his palm before he could even blink, and had the bow and paper off in a frenzied blur of movement. She opened the box and froze, staring at the diamond earrings within.

"I know, they're not really personal, but I figured, hey - can you go wrong with diamonds?" Angel explained to her, before noticing that Buffy's eyes were huge and glimmering... and she was almost salivating on the stones. "Uh... Buffy?"

Swallowing quickly, still staring at the earrings, Buffy nodded at his inquiry.

Smiling at his love, Angel wrapped his arm around her shoulders and leaned close to her. "YOU wouldn't happen to be willing to take those off my hands... would you, sweetheart?"

Buffy made a drooly sound that didn't necessarily resemble an affirmative, but Angel took it as such when she clutched the box to herself and finally dragged her eyes off the shimmering diamonds to meet his eyes. She saw his grin... then looked down at the stones again... then back up to see him wink. "These... are for... me?" she whispered.

"All along, baby... all along."

She immediately abandoned the earrings to kiss him soundly, her slim arms wrapping around his neck. "I love you," she murmured shyly into the hollow of his throat before moving back a little to gaze up at him with a smile.

"I love you, Buffy," he whispered back, thinking that the diamonds didn't even compare to the brilliance and beauty of her eyes.

Grinning slyly at him suddenly, she glanced over his shoulder at the doorway. "So... you wanna try out that mistletoe now?"

Finis.

. . .

Page 2 of 2

Season's Greetings! :) Thanks for reading... feedback, as always, is greatly appreciated. :)

. . .


Fanfiction Index