Angel's Secrets

Creative Works   

Early Mornings
By Dreamer

Summary: Buffy and Angel start the day together.
Disclaimer: You know the routine, I don't own any of the characters from the TV show BtVS, they belong to Joss Whedon, WB, etc.  That doesn't mean I don't want to own them or think that I would take better care of them, but que sera.  Harmony does belong to me however (she's not the snobby Harmony she's a harmony I made up).  I'm not making any money and mean no harm so please don't sue.
Author's Notes: This is the 4th story in the "Half a Chance" series.  I was going to write a scene like this in the next story, but I decided that story was long enough without this scene so decided to throw this story in as story number 4.  It looks like this is going to be a series, where you have to read them in order, so if you haven't read the first three, I would suggest you do that.  Special thanks to Katie, Becca, and Kitty who beta-read this for me.

I love feedback, even flames as long as they're constructive.  PLEASE send feedback to lalaland(at)3n.net

. . .

Buffy looked at her watch as she arrived outside Angel's door.  7 o'clock, she had an hour before classes and the torture of finals started.  She straightened her resolve not to think about finals, as she dug out the key to Angel's apartment.  Buffy opened the door to the dark apartment and slipped inside.  She set her bookbag down, just inside the front door.  She turned on the lights to the living room and walked back to the bedroom.  She took a minute to lean against the doorway and just watch him sleep.  Sometimes, Buffy couldn't believe how gorgeous he was, even before he woke up.   She sighed and walked over to the bed.

"Angel," she called softly, leaning over him and gently shaking his shoulder.  There was no response from the resting form.  She knelt down to get a better view of his sleeping face.  His eyes twitched slightly and she could tell he was trying very hard to ignore her and the light to go back to sleep.  He seemed to be getting better and better at not waking up in the morning.  She was going to have to be inventive today.

She reached her hand up and slowly played it across his face.  She could see one corner of his mouth twitch, as if it couldn't decide whether to smile or frown.  She tilted her head slightly and kissed his mouth.  It took a moment for what she was doing to get through his sleep fogged mind, but he noticed.  He reached a hand up to cover the one on his face as he responded.  He ran his hand up her arm, reaching out to her while he tried to deepen the kiss.  Buffy wasn't going to fall for that though.  Good morning kisses could be very nice and a wonderful way to start the day, but they could also make them both very late.  She pulled away ending the kiss and watched Angel look up at her, satisfied that she had gotten him up.  "Good morning," she said, standing up.

She was turning to go, when two strong hands grabbed her by the waist and pulled her over backwards.  She let out a shriek as she fell back onto Angel.  He rolled her over him so that she laid next to him on the bed with his arms wrapped around her.  "It's not morning, yet, so why don't we both go back to sleep," Angel said into her ear, closing his eyes and intending to do just that.

"Oh no," Buffy said, rolling over, "I've got to go to school and you've got to get to work."   She shooed him out of bed and watched from her vantage point on the bed, as he gathered some clothes from the bureau.  She tried to ignore the fact of how good he looked shirtless and the smell of his bed that she remembered far too well.  She scolded herself for having such thoughts this early and was thankful he slept in sweatpants instead of boxers.

As she heard the shower start, she got off the bed and walked into the kitchen.  She got out her brush and fixed her hair, which had been mussed thanks to Angel's new tactic this morning.  Buffy turned the coffee pot on and looked around her.  She usually ate before she came over here and looked through a magazine the few minutes Angel was in the bathroom.  She'd been too nervous to eat breakfast earlier though and thoughts of finals were beginning to creep up on her.  Angel usually had a breakfast much like her own, toast and coffee or milk.  She decided she needed something to do this morning, else thoughts of finals begin again, so she began rummaging through his fridge.

Although Buffy preferred toast in the morning, she could and did cook.  Before her parents divorce, her mother and father had both had jobs.  That meant they weren't always home for dinner and Buffy had learned to fend for herself and her father, when it came to meals.  She got out eggs, tomatoes, green onions, ham, milk and cheese out of the refrigerator.  If she was going to make breakfast she was going to do it right.  Buffy quickly chopped up the ingredients and put them in with the scrambled eggs and milk.  She set them cooking and was grating the cheese into the pan, when Angel came up behind her.

"Good morning," he said walking up beside her and kissing her on the cheek.

"Good morning."

"I didn't know you could cook," Angel said peering into the pan.

"Well I can, witness me cooking.  It occurred to me that you've been human during the day for more than a month and between slaying, getting you a job, and the Romani you haven't gone out to eat or had a big home cooked meal," Buffy paused for a moment, taking a deep breath, and leaning back against Angel for a moment.  "I really should stop hanging around Xander so much.  I think I'm starting to ramble in complete sentences."  Angel smiled and Buffy just shook her head, before continuing.  "Anyway, I can't fit in a four course meal at this time of the morning, but I figured breakfast would do."

"Thank you," Angel said looking at the yellow-orange concoction in the pan, "What is it?"

"An omelet," Buffy said glancing over her shoulder at him, "Oh don't look so skeptical.  It smells good doesn't it?" Angel nodded reluctantly before going to get a cup of coffee.

"How's Giles been doing?" Angel asked.

"Fine.  He's started keeping the Orb of Thessulah on his desk and fawning over it.  He's always ranting about some new book or old thing, but he seems particularly stuck on this one for the last three days or so."  Buffy shook her head as she got down two plates and put half the omelet onto each.

"I'm sure he'll tell you what the fuss is about in good time.  He seemed to like it, though?" Angel persisted.

"Yeah," Buffy said setting the plates down on the table and sitting herself in front of one, while Angel did the same.  Angel eyed the plate skeptically, although he had to admit it smelled good.  "Why are you asking?"

"Oh, Harmony mentioned something about it," Angel said vaguely, still eyeing the plate. Buffy nodded her head and took a bite of the food.  Angel watched her for a moment, as if waiting to see if it did her any harm.

"Go on!  I *can* cook," Buffy said defensively.

"Oh I believe you, it's just …"

"Haven't you ever had an omelet before?" Buffy asked.

"Not that I recall." Angel took a tentative bite and found that it was quite good.  Buffy smiled seeing that he liked it, before starting in on hers again.

A comfortable silence reigned for a moment, before Angel broke it.  "This is very good.   I'm still wondering why you made it, though."

"I told you."  Angel gave her skeptical look.  "Okay, I was bored and need something to occupy me.  I skipped breakfast, so I figured this would be as good a way to keep busy as any."

"Why'd you skip breakfast?" Angel asked concerned.

"I was nervous.  Finals are today."

"Why are you worried about finals?" Angel asked.

"Tests and I don't get along very well.  Besides they're finals which means they affect my entire grade for the year.  My grades haven't been that good this year, what with the ... extra slaying and ...," Buffy stopped realizing where her thoughts were going.

"And the havoc I wreaked during the soulless period," Angel said dourly.

"No Angel, I didn't mean … you know none of that's your fault, it's just my brain and my mouth aren't always connected at this time of the morning," Buffy's mind flashed back to how she had gotten him to wake up that morning, "That didn't come out right."  Buffy paused for a moment, while a corner of Angel's mouth twitched in amusement at her apparent discomfort.   "Anyway," she continued, "I just mean that I need to get a good grade on finals to try and bring up my overall grade."

"I'm sure you'll do fine," Angel reassured her.

"I hope you're right."

"It can't be worse than facing man-eating demons."

"You'd be surprised.  Are you coming by after school today?" Buffy asked abrubtly changing the subject.

"How could I pass up a chance to see you?" he replied softly.  Buffy blushed slightly and picked up her plate to dump it in the sink to cover it.

"I better go," she said, heading for the door.  Angel walked her over to the door.  She picked up her bag and turned to face him again.  "Bye," she said reaching up to kiss him.  He leaned down to meet her in a kiss which turned into something much more than friendly.  "I'll see you after school, right?" she said, a little breathlessly.

"I'll be there," he said, kissing her again, a little breathless as well.

"Bye," she said opening the door.  She was half way out the door when she turned around to face him again.  "Angel ... I ... I really enjoy ... just ..." Buffy fought for the right words, without making the trip up she had made the morning before he had lost his soul.

Angel smiled, understanding what she was trying to say. "I know."

"No," Buffy said, determined to get the words out, "I missed you and I love seeing you in the morning, even though I barely get to spend anytime with you.  It's ... nice." Angel smiled down at her, once again struck by her sincerity and the fact that she would say this to him.  She reached up to kiss him again, which he returned sincerely.

"I've got to-"

"Go."  He nodded and she gave him another quick kiss, before running up the stairs to the street level outside.  She turned to look at him one last time at the top of the stairs, before starting off down the street.  He smiled and shut the door.  He loved the mornings now, almost as much as he hated them before.  Angel loved their morning games, when it was just the two of them.  He still enjoyed the long hours they could spend together at night, but there was something special about their morning meetings and he knew now that she felt it too.  He wasn't sure if it was some aspect of companionship or love, but it was a good feeling.  Things were different now, but they had more than they'd had before.  Now they had the day and the night.

. . .

The End

I live for feedback, so send it to lalaland(at)3n.net

Read the sequel! >>

. . .


Fanfiction Index