Angel's Secrets

Creative Works   

Sanctum
By Cryptic

Summary: Buffy is torn between love and the next best thing.
Disclaimer: Yada, yada…Why Joss, why??
Author's Notes: This is the next part in my Via Dolorosa series. I bring Riley – fishboy-Finn back..as Buffy’s /gulp/ boyfriend..Heavens, forgive me.Father Tuck is mine, analogy with Robin Hood and his merry men.
Feedback: oh, please..Mail it to vicious_blue(at)slayme.com

. . .

I guess I’m not that good
at keeping love alive for long.
I thought I knew the answers
But the answers were all wrong.
My first love was my true love
And it should’ve been my last
The only time I’m happy’s
When I’m dreaming of the past…

"Hey, Giles"

"Oh, hi Willow. Is there anything you want to discuss with me?" Giles gave her a quick look, adjusting his glasses firmly on his nose.

"Well, yes. It’s about Buffy.I mean have you noticed the way she’s been behaving lately, she hasn’t been herself after..well, since.." she trailed off, her glance expressive enough.

"Since he left" Giles finished for her quietly.

"Yes…" she sighed. " She lets people trample over her, her – the slayer, the one who used to be so self-confident and defiant. There is this new girl Brenda McFeey, she’s, for some reason, treating her like dirt. And Buffy is letting her.. It’s like when he left he took a part of her with him, the part that made her her."

"But she has a new boyfriend now, that Riley-fellow. I thought she was coping fine. She’s been distracted lately, but I thought it was because of him."

"Yes, I know she has him, but it’s not like she needs him, like she needed Angel. Her mom likes him though, she never did like Angel, in a way say she’s..relieved to have a normal, down-to-earth boyfriend for her daughter… I myself introduced them, but now..I have the feeling I’ve made a mistake..And he is so dull. I don’t know what she finds in him. I believe she doesn’t either..Giles, don’t you see, we have to do something about it."

"Hmm," he shrugged defeatedly. "What could we possibly do? She’s the one who chose him and as much as I dislike the boy, I must say at least he’s harmless."

"But she doesn’t love him, and what’s the most gruesome part – she doesn’t care. She seems to think that no one can love her. We just have to bring Angel back..I know you know where he is, he would never leave without giving you some emergency address."

"Well, yes, I shouldn’t tell anyone but, as you already guessed…I’ve been keeping him updated on what’s going on in case we need help."

"Does that include the Riley-drama?"

"Well, I might have mentioned that Buffy has a new boyfriend, but I haven’t given details."

"Good, then there is still some chance. He’ll come running once you tell him what a creep Riley is..So where exactly is he?"

"Hmm" Giles seemed to be deep in thought.

Meanwhile…you’ll never guess where…

Te Deum Laudamus..(Lord We Praise Thee)

"Salve Regina, mater misericordiae:
Vita, ducedo, et spes nostra, salve
Ad te clamamus, exsules filii Evae.
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes,
in hac lacrimarum valle.

'Eja ergo, Advocata nostra,
illos tuos misericordes oculos ad nos converter
Et Jesum, benedictum fructum ventris tui,
nobis post hoc exilium ostende.
O clemens, O pia, O dulcis Virgo Maria."

"God be with you Father Leery"

"God be with you Father Tuck".

A ruddy, somewhat plump little man in a black cotton dress hurried down the hall in a very grim looking, simple building that was the Mission of St.Ives. A place for seclusion and reflection, for those uninterested in earthly matters.

The monk, who had been referred to by the name of Father Tuck, passed by several doors until reaching a secret opening behind a wall-painting.

"So, Angel." He said coming behind a man of about twenty-seven with dark hair and soulful eyes, that sparkled with something akin to amusement when catching a glimpse of the short fellow. "Drawing, I see?"

"That’s all I seem to be doing lately." Angel smiled gently at him.

"Well, lad." With that Father Tuck gave him a whole-hearted slap on the back. "Don’t ya think it’s time to return to the world outside. Not that I’m forcing ya, I’ve come to love ya like me own son. But it’s been six months.."He gave him a playful wink. "Time to surprise that gal of yours."

"What girl?" Angel gave him an odd look.

"Oh, come own, I may be old but I’m not dense, lad. I see whatcha drawing there…And better not let it outta this room, or we’ll ruin some of the fathers’ motivation. You get what I mean.." Father Tuck raised his eyebrows suggestively.

Angel smiled, a real genuine smile.

"See - you’re getting much better. That’s a nice smile-ey there, you’re doing it much more often now."

"With you, it’s kinda hard not to." He gave the old man a playful look. "I guess you are right…about me leaving. I’ve received a note from Giles saying he needs my help."

"With supernatural matter?" Father Tuck suddenly became serious, his eyes full of concern and apprehension.

"I wouldn’t say so. He’s looking for a substitute teacher in Art. The previous one got eaten by a Mogosh demon. Or rather vanished without a trace into the police records of Sunnydale."

"I see.. But you’ll meet the girl? Yes?"

"That’s what I’m afraid of..I mean she has a new life now, a new..boyfriend." He almost choke at the word. "If I am lucky we won’t run into each other, it’s a big school after all. And she isn’t exactly the art-type of person. I wish I could say no, but I owe it to Giles.."

"You must be on your way, lad. We can offer ya no more.."

"You’ll come visit though.."

"I sure will…And Angel – do visit the lass, you deserve it." Father Tuck gave him a final bear hug before seeing him to the door, trying to blink away the tears that were threatening to fall.

"I sure am gonna miss ya, lad. I’ve grown very fond of ya."

"I wonder how that happened, I mean knowing what you know I don’t think I would have been fond of me."

"You’re too hard on yourself, Angel, lad. Ya should listen to the others from time to time, not to your own demons."

"Well, yeah" *not bloody likely*, with that Angel gave him a lopsided grin, finished packing his stuff (which was actually a jacket, few books and lots of sketches) and proceeded to leave, without looking back. He had made that a motto – to not look back, when he was leaving something he didn’t want to leave…Like Buffy. *wonder what she’s doing right now*

His lips were soft and warm. She could feel the passion flow through their joint forms..*Concentrate Buffy!*…*strong arms, deep brown eyes, cool lips that somehow set her whole being afire…* she mentally smacked herself…*Remember Riley, your boyfriend, now concentrate* and with that she resumed counting sheeps…*shit..Cows, Riley likes cows…one cow hopping over the fence….hey, can cows jump..two cows tripping in the fence..three cows beheaded by a passing truck*

"Oh, Buffy, sugar-pie, you’re great" Riley whispered almost seductively as they were intercepted by Willow and the gang.

"Hmm, Buffy" Willow cleared her throat. "Can I have a word with you?"

"Sure, Wills, what’s up?"

"What were you doing there, falling asleep?!" Willow whispered loudly driving her away from Riley.

"Excuse me, I was kissing my boyfriend.."

"Yeah, a phone post would’ve done it with more passion. Buffy don’t you see, since.."

"No, stop.I don’t want to hear it. I’ve got a boyfriend now, Willow and like it or not I love him. It’s not the same kind of gut-wrenching romance I might have had before, but at least it is solid. I don’t believe in dreams anymore Wills. That’s what Angel was – a dream. When he left six months ago I thought I would die, but I survived, and moved on. That’s what you wanted me to do, wasn’t it? SO what? I did it. I found Riley, and he’s nice and….solid. He gives me everything I need. I don’t even remember Angel’s face anymore. He’s gone, vanished from my memory." *you wish*

"Since you insist." Willow sighed. "Giles, wanted to see you about some alleged demon raid on the food supplies in the cafeteria. You’d better go check with him.."

"Sure, Wi.."

"Miss Summers, how nice of you to drop by?" Snider squeaked. "Now, as all you little vandals are present. Would you care to inform me what happened with Mr.O’Henrey?"

"He died?" Xander suggested ever-ready to help.

"So, you’ve noticed. What did you do to him?" Snider waved a finger in front of Buffy’s face.

"Look, Principal Snider," Cordelia butted in. "We don’t know what happened to him. And Buffy doesn’t either. Maybe school pressure from certain officials on high positions whose cabinet is down the hall to the left, got more than he could take.."

"What exactly are you implying you little… All right that’s it..You’re all suspended..Oh, actually I have a better idea – you are to enroll in the late Mr. O’Henrey’s art class, as of now."

"But, but.." Buffy wanted to object but Snider gave her his most saccharine smile.

"You have something to say to me Summers?"

"No, Mr. Snider, sir." She cast her eyes to the ground, missing the glances all her friends exchanged.

" What just happened there? I saw Snider down the hall looking incredibly happy?" Riley inquired bringing Oz along.

"Cordy just got us all extra art lessons by the new replacement teacher."

"Cool" Oz commented from behind Willow.

"I kinda heard some girls blabbering ‘bout the new teacher.." Riley said. " They thought he was nice.."

"I believe they used the words "sexy as hell"" Oz corrected.

"Well, we’ll see, but I must see Giles, cover up for me would you?"

"Sure, thing sugar-pie" Riley gave her a quick kiss, while all the others present turned around in disgust.

. . .

Page 1 of 7
Read the next part
>>

. . .


Fanfiction Index