Angel's Secrets

Creative Works   

Sanctum (Part 5)
By Cryptic

Disclaimer: Yada, yada…Why Joss, why??

. . .

"Buffy, it has been an hour already. There is nothing on. Nothing!" Xander was starting to really doubt Buffy’s sanity as she stared at the tape, playing it over and over, watching Darla and the gun, and the kiss. This was all too creepy.

"No, there is something, I am sure. Here he’s looking straight at the camera, he must be giving us a clue as to where to find him, but what?" Her eyes widened. "Stop, right there, could you please turn up the sound, Oz."

"Sure..there -that’s as high as it goes."

"Listen!"

"…Farmer.. Plaz.." It was almost a whisper but her super natural senses picked up on it."The abandoned warehouse.Let’s go." She immediately switched to slayer mode, picking up a battle ax from the wall.

"I’ll pass, thank you" Riley muttered. "You are all crazy! Willow, you seem sane enough, let’s go, there is no use risking your life over a vampire!"

"Thanks, Riley, but no, thanks. He’s no vampire anymore, but even when he was, he was no ordinary vampire – he’s always been a friend, but go ahead, Riley, and next time someone attacks you, please do us all a favor and don’t come out alive"

"Auch, Wills, that hurt." Xander laughed. "That was very, very naughty" He stared at Riley’s retreating from. "Not to mention rude."

"I thought it was sexy" Oz whispered, hugging his little wicca, before grabbing a crossbow and following the now, heavily armed group through the door.

At the warehouse…

Darla was getting rather pissed off with this new human-ey version of Angel, he was so unlike the man he used to be centuries ago when she turned him in that alley. Sure he was pretty much drunk then, but now all he did was mope some stupid cheerleader, all remorseful and oh, so very soul having. It was disgusting beyond words. Even torturing him (and she loved that) was becoming more and more boring, she never got the reaction she was aiming at, damn his self control – after a whole day of torture, anyone would have cracked. Apparently anyone but him. It unnerved her, but also excited her in a way she never believed possible, but she’d never admit that of course.

"Ts, ts, ts ..Still waiting for the slayer in shining armor to save you. That isn’t going to happen" She kicked his bleeding form ruthlessly. She might be moved by his poise, but she wasn’t that moved, she could tear every limb off his body making him scream in agony for hours with no end and delight in it, but it wasn’t what she was aiming at. Not at all. "How do you feel for a bit more fun" Ignoring his pained expression, she mused upon her new weapon of torture – she had already tried firebrands, knives..what next – maybe chainsaws…"You know there is a way out. I can make all the pain go away, then it’ll be like before. Just say the words. I know you, Angel, you crave the peace, the confidence, the power…"

" You don’t know me at all" he managed through cracked lips, tasting his own blood. His condition was pretty bad, he probably had a few broken ribs and slight concussion and he couldn’t move his right hand, but it was the lack of blood that worried him. He knew he could lapse into unconsciousness any second and wake up as…No, he didn’t want to even think about it. He never wanted to be him again. Never, knowing as it is he would never be truly gone, that Angelus would always be a part of him. A part of him that was screaming inside of him to take the easy way, to give into the pleasant numbness, the comfort of not-feeling, not-caring, not-existing at all. But he couldn’t do that, never, because he knew the first person he was going to go after as Angelus would be her – Buffy, his Buffy. And he couldn’t allow that, even if it meant giving up his life to save hers. He was ready.

"You never knew me, only someone who means something to you can know you inside and out. I never cared for you, I never loved you."

The truth in his eyes scared her – he was powerful, truth gave him power she understood, even over her. But she would break him, yes she would. And it would be twice as pleasurable.

"And you loved Biffy or what’s her name" She mocked him. She was so preoccupied with the plan that formed in her head she didn’t notice the shadows crawling in from the back door and he was so weak he didn’t pick up on anything either.

"Buffy, her name is Buffy. And I do love her – she is and always will be the only woman I will ever love."

"And what does she give you for that undying devotion" she smirked. "She boinks to death a corn boy from Iowa. How endearing! You grovel around, heart-broken, and she makes out with the new flavor of the month. Foolish boy, you were never more than a crush for her." She was delighting in the way pain shone through his eyes, even though he tried his best to keep his cool façade on.

They were both oblivious to another spectator, who was even more deeply affected by Darla’s cruel words than Angel, because he was feeling the truth of them hanging like a sword over his head. It was Buffy – she was hardly keeping her feelings in check, and she was about to lose control and throw herself at Darla. More so, because she could read the hurt in his eyes and knew she was the cause of it in the first place. That she put it there with her crazy attempts to make him jealous. She only prayed to whatever God was listening to return him to her in one piece, she’d make sure he would have no reason to ever doubt her feelings for him again. But as it was, she couldn’t make any move now, before they were all positioned or she would jeopardize his life and that of her friends. Therefore she waited and listened, albeit knowing it was slowly tearing her apart.

"It doesn’t matter.." he said slowly, surprised by the truth of his own words. "it doesn’t matter if she loves me now, and maybe I was just a crush, but she gave me much more than I could ever hope for." His eyes were shining with love and pride when he talked about his angel, his Buffy. "She looked at me and saw the man, not a monster, not a murderer, but a friend, a confidante. She is my hope, my light, my sun, I would do anything for her – fight, cry, kill and I would ask nothing in return, but the knowledge that she is safe and happy, even with someone else."

"You used to kill for me, Angelus, not so long ago, remember," she cut him off furious. "What can she give you that I can’t – she can never be as I was, or teach you what I have."

"You still don’t understand – yes, you taught me a lot, but nothing can ever compare to what I’ve learned through her – she showed me love."

"Love" She snorted in disgust.

"Yes, and that is not measured by torture and massacres. I killed for you, I killed with you- love isn’t about being ready to kill for the one you love, it’s about being ready to die."

She looked at him gravely, realizing that she couldn’t break him anymore. That he was calling the shots, he was manipulating her, she was well aware, he had chosen his own death and was pushing her towards it. "And you are ready to die for her, Angelus?"

"Yes, I’d die a thousand deaths for her, go to Hell and back, live a life in misery because I can’t have her, all because I love her. She’s my reason for living. I admit, I caved into the hunger, the need, back in that alley centuries ago, and I cannot find it in me to say I am sorry for that choice, although I am sorry for the consequences: the people who died because of me, the children who were never born. But it brought me to her, and for that I can never be sorry. You can kill me now, I’ve lived a happy life, because I’ve had the privilege of having her love, and I would never be HIM, Darla."

Tears were streaking down Buffy’s face as she listened to the love of her life, proclaim for the last time she was the only thing in his universe, his reason for existing. She made a promise then and there, that once everything was over she would hold on to this man and never let go. She silently raised her hand, signaling to the others to be ready to step in any minute now.

"Then you’ll enjoy one more privilege" Darla smiled her cruel and ruthless smile. "The privilege of dying by my hand, you have to admit it’s only fair – you killed me once." She raised the gun and pointed at his heart, still unnerved by his smile and the peace that had settled in his eyes.

"He killed you once all right and now it’s my turn." Buffy chirped from behind. "Should’ve stayed dead."She kicked the gun from the surprised Darla and before Darla could attack a stake was protruding from her upper body. She disappeared wide-eyed, leaving a wider-eyed Xander with a stake in his hand.

"Oh, boy, that was quick. I hope she stays dead this time. Don’t want to have that bitch on my tail."Xander wiped his forehead pretty pleased with himself.

"Angel" Buffy rushed at his side, trying to lift his unconscious form from the ground. He had lost consciousness sometime during, the tension and sudden twist of things proving too much for him to bear.

"He’s lost a lot of blood. We’d better get him to a hospital." She heard Giles’ voice through a haze.

"No" she almost shouted. "he hates hospitals" She added quietly. "Let’s get him home and call a doctor. He’d be more comfortable there."

. . .

Page 5 of 7
Read the next part
>>

. . .


Fanfiction Index