"The One I Waited For"

Author: Michelle
Email: michellabella52478@yahoo.com

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

He stared after Buffy as she ran out of the room. 'What happened? Did I scare her? What?' One second they were sharing a heated kiss, and the next thing he knew she was running away. Angel wanted to go after her, but decided to let her be. Maybe he'd pushed too hard or came on too strong. He didn't know and figured it would be better to apologize for whatever he did to upset her.

Angel walked over to the bedroom door, preparing to knock. Something made him stop just before his hand made contact with the wooden door. 'No, she needs to be by herself. Buffy wouldn't have ran away if she wanted to be with me.'

So he turned out the lights and settled down on the couch. Sleep didn't seem to want to take him, which left Angel to contemplate what had happened.

He had never known that a simple kiss could be so intense, could stir such emotions. There was a spark that accompanied the touch of Buffy's lips. It made him feel more alive, as if her kiss restored the life he'd lost somewhere throughout his life.

He was unable to control himself. Suddenly, his heart had taken over control from his mind. Thinking rationally was no longer an option. While his mind told him to resist the urge to kiss her back, his heart shouted that he shouldn't deny himself the touch of the woman he loved. Angel's heart won out, forcing him to respond passionately to Buffy. And it cost him.

She rejected him, of that he was certain. He scared her away by coming on too strong. 'She probably thinks I'm like every other guy; that I'll expect something from her. That kiss was much more than I ever expected.' Angel did want something: her love. He prayed to whatever god would listen that someday, Buffy would love him with the same intensity that he loved her.


The bright rays of the sun woke Buffy at dawn. She groaned, trying to blink away the light, but to no avail. The alarm clock next to the bed read six forty-three. Too early for her to get up on a Sunday morning.

For twenty minutes she lay there in an attempt to fall back to sleep. It didn't work, so she swung her legs over the side of the bed. She opened the door and peaked out in the living room. Angel lay on his left side on the couch, facing the hallway. Biting her lip softly, Buffy went back inside the bedroom to get dressed. She wanted to leave before he woke up. It would be too embarrassing and awkward if she were to stay. Running away and crying from their kiss was childish, and Buffy knew it. 'What he must think of me now, kissing him like that. I was so caught up in the moment that I wasn't thinking about the consequences. I'm so stupid.'

In five minutes Buffy had her things ready. She quietly stepped through the hallway and into the living room. Stopping a few feet from the couch, Buffy looked at Angel. He was sleeping peacefully, making her smile that she hadn't woken him up. She suppressed the innate urge to bring her lips to his again, knowing it would be even more embarrassing. No, better to leave. Without saying anything, Buffy left the apartment and headed home.

When Angel awoke two hours later, he found his bedroom empty. 'She left. Buffy didn't want to be near me. Dammit, how could I have been so stupid?'


"Come on, spill," Willow begged. "How did it go last night?"

Buffy, Willow and Cordelia sat on Buffy's bed. "Yeah. Did you ask him? What did he say?" Cordelia wanted to know.

"Dinner was nice. We went to a restaurant outside of town. And no, I didn't ask him," Buffy told them.

"Why not?" demanded the brunette.

Buffy frowned. "Things happened; I never got a chance."

"You were with Angel all night. How could you not have had a chance?"

"If I tell you, you have to promise not to tell anyone. Not Oz, not Xander and especially not Giles," Buffy said to her friends.

"Of course" and "Yeah" were their responses.

Buffy took a deep breath before beginning. "After dinner we went to his apartment and watched a movie. I saw a picture of him and his mother, and you know me, I'm always curious. Angel told me about her, how she died and stuff like that. She died when he was only six years old. Then he told me his most vivid memory of her. He started crying."

"He cried?" The idea of a grown man crying astounded Cordelia. She'd never seen it happen.

"I felt so bad. There he was, crying because I'm too nosy to mind my own business. I wanted to make him feel better. And the next thing I knew, I was kissing him."

"And?" Cordelia questioned.

"And...Angel started kissing me back. I got scared though. Like, what if he wanted more? He's in his twenties, and experienced. What would he think of me? God, what does he think of me now?"

Willow grabbed her best friend's hand. "I'm sure Angel doesn't think any less of you."

"Hey, Buffy, I have a question. What -- what was it like? The kiss, I mean," Cordelia wanted to know.

"Cordy!" hissed Willow.

"I wanna know."

"It's okay. It...it was amazing. I've kissed guys before, but never like that. I don't even now how to describe it. With Kevin, it was never about passion or intensity. But with Angel, my knees went weak and I couldn't even form a coherent thought. It seemed so automatic, so right. I didn't need to think about what I was doing, I just did it."

Willow's eyes were wide. "Wow. I've never been kissed like that."

"It scared me so much. I ran away."

"You did what?" screeched Cordelia.

"I ran into the bedroom and cried."

"Why didn't you stay? Talk to him?"

Buffy blinked hard. "Because if I stayed, I knew I'd kiss him again. So I left this morning without saying good-bye. He was still asleep on the couch when I left."

"What does he wear to bed?" asked Cordelia, with a sly smile.

"Cordelia!" Willow hissed again.

"Boxers, for your information. Guys, what am I going to do?"

"What do you want to do?" Willow asked.

Buffy shrugged. "I don't know. My head says to stay away, he's older and my Watcher...sort of. But my heart says to go for it. That maybe it's worth the risk."

"Follow whichever is louder."

"That's real smart, Cordelia. What if she makes the wrong decision?"

"She won't know 'til she tries," argued Cordelia.

"Buffy, you have to make your own decision."

She nodded. "I know that. But I don't know which to listen to. My heart or my head."

"Well, how do you feel about Angel?" asked Willow.

"It's weird. I've known him for less than a week, but...I think I love him," Buffy admitted.

"Go for it," advised Cordelia.

"If you love him, Buffy, what do you have to lose? He kissed you back, right?" Buffy nodded. "Then he obviously feels something for you. Run with it. See where it takes you," Willow told her.

"What if he looks at me and thinks I'm just some lovesick school girl?"

"If he's the one, he won't think that."

"The one? My true love?"

Willow smiled. "Have you thought about the possibility? If that kiss was as intense as you described it, maybe Angel is your true love."

"You lucked out, Buffy. They don't come much cuter than Angel," commented Cordelia.

"It's not about cute, Cordy. It's about love and being soulmates. I think he's the one. Angel is your true love."

"It'll never work. So what if I love him? He's in love with someone else, remember? True love or not, I can't take that risk. I have to forget him and move on," Buffy said, making up her mind. Whether her heart broke in the process or not.


Monday morning rolled round quickly. Both Buffy and Angel were nervous about seeing each other, given the events of Saturday night. They respectively decided not to say anything unless the other brought it up.

Buffy showed up for her tutoring session five minutes early, in hopes that Angel would bring it up. When she saw that he wasn't there waiting for her, she was slightly disappointed. "Hey, Giles. Where's Angel?" Her heart beat nervously in anticipation of seeing him.

"He is running an errand for me, so he might very well be a few minutes late," Giles answered. "Tell me, how was patrol on Friday night? Did you show Angel how it's done?"

She decided to be totally up-front with her Watcher. "He didn't need me to show him how it's done. He saved my ass in fact. If he hadn't shown up when he did, you might be out of a job."

"What do you mean, 'shown up when he did'? Did he forget about meeting you?"

"No, he was here, but I wasn't."

"Buffy, you made a promise and I expected you to keep it. Breaking it almost got you killed, if I am understanding you correctly." Giles was none too pleased with Buffy.

"Look, I'm sorry. Buffy did a stupid thing. She did a lot of stupid things this weekend. But you know what? Something happened Friday and I went patrolling alone to think. I forgot about meeting Angel, but he found me and saved me."

Giles looked at her. "May I ask what it was that caused you to forget?" It wasn't like Buffy to be so irresponsible.

"Kevin broke up with me because he's a hormone-driven teenage boy," she said with a bitter edge to her voice.

"I didn't know, I'm sorry," apologized Giles.

"It's okay. He said some really nasty things that I'm not feeling up to repeating and he dumped me. I wanted to be by myself, so I went on patrol, completely forgetting that I promised you Angel could come with me."

"Why don't you move on to the part where you almost died," suggested her Watcher.

Buffy frowned. She knew she had to tell him, but feared his reaction. "In the cemetery I got into a fight with a vamp. He got the upper hand and knocked me unconscious. I don't remember what happened after that. When I woke up, I didn't know where I was."

"Where were you?"

"Angel had found me, staked the vampire and brought me back to his apartment."

"Really," he commented. This did not sit well with him. Angel should have taken her to the hospital or home, not his apartment.

"Yeah. He told me what happened and listened to me cry all night about Kevin." She thought back to how easy it was to talk to Angel that night. Before things became complicated by their kiss.

Giles narrowed his eyes slightly. "You spent the night with Angel."

"God, not like that. Everyone makes it sound so sordid. Nothing happened. Me on the bed, him on the couch. Get your mind out of the gutter."

"Did you patrol with him at all this weekend?"

Buffy shook her head. "No. Saturday night we went out and Sunday I stayed in. Why, did you want me to patrol?"

"We? As in you and Angel?"

"Uh-huh."

Just then, Angel burst into the Library carrying several books. He stopped almost dead in his tracks when he saw Buffy. He tried to make eye contact with her, but she stared at her hands instead. Giles felt the uneasiness between the two, and planned on getting to the bottom of it.

"Here are the books you wanted, Giles," Angel said, handing the books to the elder Watcher.

"Thank you." He took the books and walked into his office. He made a mental note to keep an eye on Buffy and Angel.

"Hi, Buffy," Angel greeted her. He was unsure of what to say.

"Hi," she repeated. The awkward feeling from that weekend had returned.

Angel figured she wasn't about to bring up Saturday night, seeing as she hadn't even looked at him since he walked in.

"Do you want me to go over any more about the Cold War?" 'Better to get right down to business.'

"I'm pretty sure I understand it. We can move on to something else."

Angel sat down at the table and Buffy chose the seat across from him. 'I really did scare her,' he thought. 'She doesn't even want to sit next to me.' "Why don't we go over the Kennedy administration then."

Buffy listened as he talked about Camelot and how America changed in the three years John F. Kennedy was President. Her mind wasn't on his words, though. 'It didn't mean anything to him, just another kiss. I am so dumb for thinking it meant anything. Probably had a good laugh over how he got the Slayer to fall for him.'

She nodded her head once in a while, pretending she was actually paying attention to his words, when in fact she wasn't. No, Buffy kept watching his lips move, remembering how warm they were when they kissed. And she wanted so badly to silence him with another one to see if it would feel the same. But she pushed those thoughts away.

"Do you have any questions?" asked Angel when their time was up.

'Yeah, I do. Were you as affected by our kiss as I was? Will you do it again so I can feel that way once more? Do you love me? Because I love you.' She shook her head. "Nope. Nothing I can think of."


"Angel, may I see you in my office please," requested Giles after Buffy's training.

"Sure." They walked into Giles' office. Angel didn't bother to close the door behind him; the library was empty.

"What is it, Giles?"

"Buffy informed me of what happened Friday night. Is it true that she had a near-fatal run-in with a vampire?"

Angel didn't see where it was going. If Buffy told him, why did Giles need to ask him? "Yes. When she didn't show up to meet me, I went looking for her. I was on my way home and I saw her fighting a vamp. He was about to kill her when I staked him." He shuddered involuntarily at the thought of almost losing Buffy.

"And Buffy was unconscious?" Angel nodded. "Where did you take her?" Giles already knew the answer, but wanted to hear it from the young Watcher himself.

"To my apartment."

"Why didn't you take her to a hospital?" demanded Giles.

He shrugged. "I don't know exactly. My apartment was closer."

"Did you ever stop to think that perhaps she was seriously injured? A concussion or a coma, maybe?"

"Buffy woke up twenty minutes later. She's perfectly fine."

"It didn't occur to you that Buffy could have died from her injuries, did it?"

"No," answered Angel. "Look, I made a mistake. I'm sorry, but I can't change what I did. And I'd do it again."

Giles glared at Angel. "She also told me that she spent the night there, too."

"She was upset, fell asleep on the couch. I didn't have the heart to wake her up, so I let her sleep in my bedroom."

"And you went out with her on Saturday night. Am I right again?"

"Yes."

The Watcher nodded. "Did anything happen between you two?"

"I don't know what you are talking about."

"Don't play coy now. I saw the way you looked at her and how Buffy wouldn't look at you. It's apparent that something is going on."

Angel looked away. He hated being forced into admitting what happened between them. "We kissed. But that's all. I...it...she ran away from me. I think I scared her."

Giles noted the look of hurt in Angel's eyes. "You care about her, don't you? No, let me rephrase that. You love Buffy, don't you?"

"Are you insinuating that I'm too blinded by love to do my job? Then fine, I'll admit it. I'm in love with Buffy. I have been since I first saw her. You know, I never expected to, either. But I saw her and I just knew she was the one.

"And you don't have to tell me how wrong it is, because I know. It hurts to know how much I love her and that I can never be with her."

"The Council will frown on this, should I tell them," informed Giles.

"A Slayer is supposed to be distanced from her Watcher, I get it. But you can't tell me that you don't care about Buffy. You do. She's like a daughter to you, anyone can see that." Angel took a breath. "I don't care if you tell the Watcher's Council. It's not going to change the way I feel. I love her, and I will continue to do so whether the Council approves or not."


Willow placed the books she borrowed on the library counter. She intended on saying hello to Giles until she heard voices coming from his office. She recognized them as belonging to Giles and Angel.

"You love Buffy, don't you?" she heard Giles ask.

A few seconds later, Angel replied. "Are you insinuating that I'm too blinded by love to do my job? Then fine, I'll admit it. I'm in love with Buffy. I have been since I first saw her..."

The redhead stood in utter shock. 'Angel's in love with Buffy. She's the one he told her about. But, should I tell her?' Deciding, after a great deal of thinking, that it wasn't her place. If they were meant to be, they'll find their way to each other. 'That doesn't mean I can't give them a push in the right direction.'


Two and a half weeks seemingly flew by. The awkwardness between Buffy and Angel remained, because neither of them wanted to bring up the kiss. When they spoke it was about either history or slaying. Never did they talk about personal business.

The Prom. Sunnydale High had been bustling about it, particularly Willow, Xander and Cordelia; it was all they could talk about. Buffy, on the other hand, had come to think of it as a chore. No longer did she look forward to it. Prom became something she came to dread, yet she was still planning to attend. It was a chore now, something she had to do, like slaying.

"Earth to Buffy," Xander said.

Buffy, who had been staring at her plate and pushing around the mashed potatoes with her fork, blinked. "Huh?"

"Where were you?" he wanted to know.

"Just spacing. What did you want? I didn't hear you."

"What time are you going to be here tonight?" he asked.

She shrugged her shoulders. "Seven, seven-thirty. God, I don't even want to go."

"Because of Kevin? Don't let him stop you from having fun. It's party time."

"Yeah, I know. But I'm going to make a fool out of myself. I...I sort of told him I had a date. Which I don't. Hence, Buffy the Fool."

"Lots of people are going stag."

"And I hadn't planned on being one of them," Buffy replied miserably. "I just wish I had a date, that's all. Look, I'm really depressing you, so I'm gonna go." Buffy stood up, walking out of the cafeteria.

Willow approached Xander, who sat at the table by himself. "What's wrong? Where did Buffy go?"

"She took off. I think she's upset about not having a date for the Prom tonight."

She shook her head. "This is all Kevin's fault. If he hadn't been such a jerk, Buffy wouldn't be so upset right now. Ugh!"

"Yeah, tell me about it. If I only there were something we could do to help her," mused Xander.

A lightbulb went off in Willow's head. "That's it, I got it."

"Got what?" Xander didn't know what his friend was talking about.

"A way to make Buffy happy. I know just how to do it. Bye." Willow took off.


Angel walked through the halls. Classes were over for the day and the halls were virtually empty, due to the Prom that evening. He thought he was alone until a hand tapped his shoulder. Whirling around, he found himself looking at Willow.

"Willow. What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be getting ready for Prom?"

"I will be. Actually, I'm here to see you."

Angel tilted his head. "Me? Why?"

"I need your help. With Buffy."

"Willow, I think I'm the last person you should be asking for help. Especially where Buffy is concerned. She and I haven't--"

"Angel, I know," Willow said.

"Know what?"

Willow hesitated for five seconds. "About the kiss. Buffy told me."

"I scared her away."

She shook her head in disagreement. "No you didn't. You didn't scare her away, she was afraid you'd want more than she was ready to give. After what happened with Kevin, she's a little leery."

"I wouldn't hurt her."

"I know that. You love Buffy."

"What? Where did you hear that?" He didn't know where, or from whom, Willow had heard it. Except from Giles.

"From you. I heard you talking to Giles a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't eavesdropping or anything, I kind of overheard."

Panic gripped him. "Buffy. Does she know? Did you tell her?"

"No, I didn't. It wasn't my place to tell her. But I need your help with her. Tonight's the Prom, and Buffy doesn't have a date."

"I still don't know how I can help you. Things have been awkward between us."

"I know that. But she wanted to ask you, Angel. She told me; she said she was going to ask you, but then everything happened. And now Buffy's going to the Prom alone and she's miserable," explained Willow.

"What could I possibly do?"

"Do you want Buffy to be happy?"

"Of course I do."

Willow raised her eyebrows. "Then do what I tell you. If you love Buffy, you'll do it."


"You're a vision," Mrs. Summers complimented when Buffy strolled down the stairs in her Prom dress.

Buffy smirked. "You're my mother. You have to say that."

"It's the truth, honey. Your dress is beautiful. You are beautiful."

She glanced at her reflection in the hallway mirror, not recognizing the girl looking back at her. Her dress, blood-red, cascaded to the floor, held up by two thin straps. The neckline was lower than Mrs. Summers would have liked, but Buffy pulled it off, making the plunging neckline sophisticated. With matching red heels, a red bag and her blonde hair in curls framing her face, Buffy was ready to go.

"Do you have your bag?" her mother asked.

Buffy nodded. "Yes, Mom. I'm staying at Xander's tonight, you have the number."

"My baby's going to her Senior Prom. I can't believe it."

"Yeah yeah."

"Buffy, you are going to have so much fun," promised Mrs. Summers.

She snorted. "Sure I will. All by myself."

"You won't need a date to have fun."

"I wish I had one, though." 'I wish I'd asked Angel before this whole fiasco started.' "All of my friends will be dancing and having a grand old time while Buffy sits at her table all alone, shoving appetizers into her throat. Yeah, big fun."

Mrs. Summers smiled. "Maybe you'll surprise yourself. Come on, I want to take some pictures before you go."


The inside of the gymnasium had been transformed into a grand ballroom. Streamers, strobe lights and a large disco ball added to the festive ambiance. Buffy couldn't believe her eyes. It was like she'd entered another reality.

"Buffy!" called Willow.

She made her way over to Willow and Oz. "Hi, guys. You look great." Buffy admired the simple blue dress her best friend had purchased during their shopping excursion.

"So do you." She gave Buffy a hug. "How are you doing?"

"Okay, I guess. Dateless, but otherwise fine. Are you two having fun yet?"

"Yeah, so far," began Oz. "Prom is surprisingly affecting. I might get choked up. But that's to be seen."

Buffy laughed. "I'm going to say hi to Cordy and Xander."

She had seen them on the other side of the gym and walked toward them. On her way, though, someone stepped directly in her path. Kevin.

"Hello, Buffy," he said.

"Hi. Excuse me, but you are in my way."

He smiled slyly. "Where were you headed?"

"I see Xander and Cordy. Do you mind?" Buffy was really not in the mood to deal with her ex-boyfriend.

"Actually, I do. See, I want to meet your date. Exactly where is he, Buffy?" Kevin questioned.

"Go away, Kevin. I don't want to hear it."

The boy chuckled. "I knew you didn't have one. See, if you'd gone with me, we could be out there dancing right now. But you had to go and be all pristine. Buffy the Pure."

Buffy resisted the urge to slap him. "Pardon me if I don't want to sleep with you. I'm sure you can find any cheap slut on a street corner willing to do that. Go find one and leave me alone."

"You bitter bitch. No wonder you couldn't get a date," Kevin shot.

She was about to explode when she felt an arm moving around her waist. Familiar brown eyes stared into her green ones.

"Sorry I'm late, Buffy," Angel said.

"A-Angel?" she stuttered.

"An emergency came up, I'm sorry if you thought I stood you up." Angel glared at Kevin. "Kevin. I believe Buffy told you to leave her alone."

Seeing the menacing look in the older man's eyes, Kevin gulped. "Fine. See you around." He took off in the opposite direction from where Buffy and Angel faced.

Angel grasped Buffy's hand, sliding a red rose corsage onto her wrist. "May I have the pleasure of a dance?" He offered his hand.

"You certainly may."


Angel guided her to the dance floor, her hand in his. He clutched it as if he'd never let her go, which he didn't want to. A slow song began when they found an empty space among the other dancing students.

Take me as I am, put your hand in mine
Now and forever
Darling, here I stand, stand before you now
Deep inside I always knew
It was you, you and me
Two hearts drawn together bound by destiny
It was you, and you for me
Every road leads to your door, every step I take forevermore.

"Angel, why did you come? I thought you didn't get the whole Prom thing." His presence sent chills down her spine.

"Willow asked me to come. She told me about your encounter at the mall with Kevin and how you told him that you had a date. She wants you to be happy, Buffy; didn't want you to be alone for your Prom. So she asked me this afternoon if I would come."

"And you did? Just for me?"

"She also mentioned that you were going to ask me."

Buffy groaned. "I'm going to kill her," she threatened.

"Willow only wants what's best for you. It's flattering to think you wanted to go with me. Had you asked, I would have said yes."

Just say you'll love me for the rest of your life
I've got a lot of love and I don't wanna let go
Will you still love me for the rest of my life?
'Cause I can't go on, no I can't go on
I can't go on if I'm on my own.

"You would have? God, what an idiot I am."

Angel placed his hand under her chin, lifting her head so he could gaze into her green eyes. "Why?"

"Because I messed everything up. I never should have done what I did. I'm sorry."

"You have nothing to apologize for. Buffy, I had no right to presume I could touch you like that. It was wrong of me, I should have known better. I hope you can forgive me."

'He's apologizing to me? Why? I started it; I kissed him and he kissed me back. Angel didn't do anything wrong.' Buffy was unable to find the right words to say this to him. She grinned up at him, letting her feelings be known through a simple gesture.

Never had she felt so sure that the kiss was not a mistake. She no longer regretted it, and took comfort in being near him. Buffy brought her head to his chest, resting it comfortably above his rapidly beating heart. Her arms wrapped tightly around Angel, and he did the same to her.

Take me as I am, put your heart in mine
Stay with me forever
'Cause I am just a man
I never understood, I never had a thing to prove
There was you, you and me
That it all came clear so suddenly
I'm close to you that I wanna be.

He never imagined he would ever be so close to Buffy again. 'I don't deserve this,' he thought. He had made a mistake in overstepping his bounds as Watcher and let his feelings take control when they kissed. Angel believed he'd ruined any chances of gaining her love, but now he wasn't so sure. Buffy had forgiven him for his lack of judgement, and his hope returned.

Nothing had ever felt so right as holding Buffy in his arms did. He held her close, pressing her to him. He wanted so much to tell her he loved her, and then show her exactly how much. But he couldn't do that; no, not unless she felt the same way. Instead of giving in and kissing her on the lips like he wanted to do, Angel pressed his lips to her hair, gently kissing her head, where she probably wouldn't notice.

Buffy did notice, though. She sighed softly when his lips made contact with her. 'This is perfect. I'm dancing with Angel and he kissed me. I'm in his arms. But I can't even tell him how I feel. He would think I am too young to know what real love is. I do know. And he's it. Him. My true love. Here I am, in the arms of my true love and I can't even say anything.'

'I love you,' they both said silently, as the dance continued.

Just say you'll love me for the rest of your life
I've got a lot of love and I don't wanna let go
Will you still love me for the rest of my life?
'Cause I can't go on, no I can't go on
I can't go on if I'm on my own.

"Look at them," observed Willow. She watched Buffy and Angel slow dance from across the room. "It worked."

"Your plan? Did you ever doubt it would, Will?" asked Oz.

She shook her head. "Not at all. They are so in love with each other, but they are too stubborn to say anything. All they needed was a push in the right direction."

"And you gave it to them. Always a matchmaker."

"They are so right for each other." They saw Angel kiss the top of Buffy's head. "See what I mean? Look at him. You can't tell me his body language doesn't just scream 'I love Buffy.'"

"Don't you think if they love each other they will get together eventually?" Oz adored his girlfriend's mechanisms.

"Oz, they are so thick-headed. Buffy and Angel needed my help. I want Buffy to be happy. And I know that Angel will make her happy. I just know it."

"But you can't force them to become a couple. Doesn't that require communication and kissing?"

Willow nodded and smiled. "That's where Xander comes in."

Do you believe a love could run so strong?
Do you believe that love could pass you by?
There was a special one for me
I was the lonely one, you see
But then my heart lost all control
Now you're all that I know.

"Buffy?"

"Yes?"

"There's something I want to tell you."

Angel felt the moment was right. Even if she rejected him, at least he told her. He doubted she felt the same way, but he was getting sick of keeping the truth from her.

Buffy looked up at him. "What?"

"I--" he started. Then, Angel lost his nerve. No, he wouldn't be able to handle her rejection. Buffy meant the world to him, and without her he didn't know if he could go on. "You look lovely. You are truly the most beautiful girl here."

Buffy blushed. "Thank you." Coming from him, Buffy believed it. "You look pretty good yourself."

'Who am I kidding,' Buffy asked herself. 'He's the most gorgeous man alive. And I'm here with him. How did I ever get so lucky?' Her head kept telling her something different. 'You aren't that lucky. Angel's in love with someone. And it's not you.'

Just say you'll love me for the rest of your life
I've got a lot of love and I don't wanna let go
Will you still love me for the rest of my life?
'Cause I can't go on, no I can't go on
I can't go on if I'm on my own
'Cause I can't go on, no I can't go on
'Cause I can't go on, no I can't go on
I can't go on without somebody I can call my own
'Cause I can't go on, no I can't go on
Stay around, and never be alone...

The song ended, but Buffy and Angel continued to hold each other. Neither wanted the moment to end. It had to, an up tempo song began playing. They broke their embrace, and Buffy was worried he would leave.

"Are you leaving now?"

"Do you want me to leave?" he asked.

"No!" she shouted. "I mean, I thought you came just to show Kevin I have a date."

"Well, at first that's why I came. But, I'd kind of like to stay, if you don't mind."

'Mind? Hell no!' "You actually want to stay and be my..."

"Date. I would very much like to be your Prom date, Buffy."

Buffy smiled. "So would I."


"Did you guys go get pictures taken?" Willow wanted to know when Buffy and Angel made their way over a half-hour later.

"Yeah. We decided to get some so we'd have something to remember this night by," replied Buffy, who smiled at Angel.

"I never went to my Prom, this is the closest thing I've ever come. I don't want to forget it."

Willow grinned at him. "Are you having a good time?"

He nodded. "Thank you for convincing me to come, Willow. I'm having a great time." 'I could be anywhere with Buffy and have a great time.'

"Good. Are you going to Xander's house tonight?"

"Xander's?"

Buffy grabbed Angel's arm. "Oh yeah! Xander is having a post-Prom party/sleepover thing. Would you like to come with me?"

"I don't want to intrude or anything," Angel said.

"Not at all. You're my date, you wouldn't be intruding. Please come." Buffy really wanted Angel to go to the party with her, which would require him to spend the night with her. Again.

"Only if you're sure."

"Of course I'm sure. The more the merrier. We'll have a great time, and I know Xander won't mind if you come." Buffy glanced at Willow.

"He won't. I'll go tell him right now." As Willow took off to find Xander yet again, she thought, 'My plan is working perfectly. By tomorrow at this time, Buffy and Angel will be a couple.'


Prom continued for another four hours. Buffy had never had so much fun as she had that night. Being there with Angel made it even better. They weren't apart for more than five minutes at a time, dancing, laughing and simply enjoying each other's company. Throughout the night, Buffy caught sight of several of her female classmates eyeing Angel, but she paid no mind. He was with her, nobody else.

"This is going to work out perfectly," Willow said. "Xander, you know what to do, right?"

He nodded. "Yep. I still don't see why we can't let nature take its course."

"Like I told Oz, those two are way too stubborn. They need a push, and we are going to give it to them."

"Fine. But if it backfires, I had nothing to do with it."

"It won't backfire. I promise."


"You don't have to come if you don't want to," Buffy told Angel when they were walking to his car.

"If you don't want me to, I won't." Angel wasn't sure if she really wanted him there or if she was being nice and felt guilty.

"I would like it if you came, but if you feel uncomfortable..."

Angel smiled at her. "No, if you want me there, I'll go. Besides, it's not like I won't know anyone. I'm sure I will have a good time."

"Okay."

On the drive to Xander's house, Buffy stared at the road ahead of them, glancing at Angel out of the corner of her eye. His hair blew in the wind from his convertible. She bit her lip and looked at the road, trying to keep her mind off of how much she wanted to touch him.

Ten minutes later they stood on Xander's front porch, waiting for him to answer the door. "Hey there, you two," Xander greeted, opening the door.

"Hi. Are you going to let us in or are you going to have the party out here?" asked Buffy.

"Sorry, Buff. Come on in."

Buffy and Angel walked through the door. They were the last to arrive; Cordelia, Willow and Oz sat on the floor in the living room, watching television in their pajamas. Buffy asked Xander, "Where can we change?"

"My bedroom or the bathroom. Take your pick."

"Which do you want?" she asked Angel.

"I don't have a change of clothes," he told her.

Xander laughed. "You can borrow something of mine. They should fit."

"I guess I'll take the bathroom then," Buffy said. As she headed to the bathroom, Xander led Angel to his bedroom.

In the bathroom, Buffy changed out of her Prom dress and into a gray t-shirt and flannel pants. She wiped all of the make-up off her face, thinking about how great the night had been.

'Would I have had as good a time with Kevin? Would we be in L.A. right now, at the hotel? God, why do I even care? Stop thinking about what might have been. I'm here with Angel and I had a great time with him. Kevin doesn't matter anymore; I don't love him. He never made me feel the way Angel does.'

She returned to the living room, stifling a laugh when she saw Angel. Xander dressed him in a light blue Hawaiian shirt and black boxer shorts.

"What are you wearing?" she asked with a giggle.

Angel shrugged. "Everything else was too small."

"Yeah, well, Xander's kind of scrawny." 'And you are so big. Muscles...lots of them.'

"Hey!" complained Xander.

Cordelia stood up. "This sucks. There's nothing good on T.V.. I'm bored."

"We can always play a game," Willow said, winking at Xander.

"Let's play Truth or Dare," he suggested.

"Truth or Dare? Please, how juvenile," Cordelia commented.

Xander looked at Buffy and Angel. "Come on, guys. You two are the deciding vote."

"What about Oz?" Buffy asked.

"I go with Willow. She wants to play, so do I."

"Sure, count me in," the blonde Slayer replied. "Angel?"

He was a little wary at first, but if Buffy was going to play, he'd do it too. "Yeah. I haven't played in a long time, though."

"Great. Everybody sit in a circle," ordered Xander. The group did as they were told. "Remember, no changing your mind. Once you agree to truth or dare, you have to do it."

"Who goes first?" Oz asked.

"I'll start. Xander, truth or dare?" questioned Willow.

"Truth."

"How do you feel about Cordy?"

"She's my girlfriend. I care about her. More than I'd like to, sometimes."

"I believe you." Willow saw Cordelia grin at Xander's answer. "Your turn."

He scanned the group. "Buffy, truth or dare?"

She scrunched her nose. "Truth."

"Do you miss Kevin?"

"Not for a second," she replied without hesitation. "Cordy, truth or dare?"

Angel watched with interest as everybody answered their questions honestly.

None of them took a dare. He had to answer a few simple questions, like where he was born and how old her way. As time went on, the questions became increasingly personal.

"Angel, truth or dare?" Willow wanted to know.

He thought for a second. "Truth."

"Have you ever been in love?"

The question took him by surprise. But Willow knew the answer to it. "Not until recently."

Willow grinned. 'Maybe he'll admit it.' "Anyone we know?"

"I don't know."

"Okay, your turn."

"Oz, truth or dare?"

Twenty minutes went by. Cordelia became antsy. "I'm getting bored again."

"Fine. One more question." It was Xander's turn. "Truth or dare, Angel?"

He took a deep breath. "Dare."

Xander and Willow exchanged a look. "Okay. You can't go back. You have to do what I tell you."

"I know the rules."

"Alright. I dare you to kiss Buffy."

Angel and Buffy looked at each other. Both of their hearts beat uncontrollably, their hands becoming hot and sweaty.

"And no cheek kissing. Full on the mouth," Xander said.

They stood up, gazing for a few moments at one another. Their faces moved closer, and they instinctively closed their eyes as their lips touched. They each expected the kiss to last only a few seconds. Angel started to break away but Buffy wouldn't let him. She kept her lips on his, not letting him leave. She had been waiting for this opportunity for weeks, and wasn't about to let it pass her by.

Both were breathless when they pulled away. Their cheeks were flushed and lips red from the kiss. "Well," Cordelia started. "That covers that."

"Perfect ending, wouldn't you say?" Willow commented.

Buffy glared at her best friend. She pulled her aside. "This was all a big set-up, wasn't it? You know I have feelings for Angel."

"Buffy, I thought it was a push in the right direction."

"It was wrong, Willow. He doesn't feel the same way."

"I don't know. Looked like he was enjoying it to me."

"Just stay out of it. Please. You're pushing this and doing the whole matchmaker thing is only going to hurt me more. I'm just gonna get my heart broken. You can't force something that isn't there," Buffy pleaded.

'If only you knew the truth,' thought the redhead. "Sorry. I won't push anymore."

They all decided to get some sleep. It had been a long, busy day for all of them, and they were dead tired.

"Where are we all sleeping?" Oz wanted to know.

"Mom and Dad are out of town, so that leaves the three bedrooms open. Cordy and I will take my room, Willow and Oz in my parents' room, and Buffy and Angel can have the guest room."

Buffy groaned. Not about having to share a room with Angel, but because her friend had obviously been planning this. Xander showed everyone to their respective bedrooms. Upon closing the door, Buffy and Angel looked at the bed.

"You take the bed. I'll sleep downstairs on the couch," offered Angel.

She vigorously shook her head. "No. You can stay here. I'm not going to make you sleep on the couch."

"Then I'll sleep on the floor."

"Angel, you think I'd actually let you sleep on the floor? Nuh-huh. We can share the bed, it's pretty big."

"Are you sure about this, Buffy? If this is uncomfortable at all..."

"It's not." Buffy climbed under the covers of the bed. She waited for Angel to join her on the other side. Laying her head on the pillow, she closed her eyes. She opened them slightly, watching Angel as he removed Xander's shirt. She metaphorically drooled at the sight of his well-defined, muscular chest. He shut off the bedside lamp and laid on top of the covers. Buffy didn't question it, figuring Angel was keeping minimum safe distance.

His nearness made her shiver. She'd never felt so cold, despite the three blankets covering her. Trying to warm up, Buffy shifted her position.

"Are you okay, Buffy?"

"Yeah."

"Cold?"

She nodded. "A little."

"If you want, I can move closer. More body heat might warm you up. Would you mind if I do that?" Angel asked.

Once again, Buffy nodded. The bed shifted next to her, and she thought, 'He's getting under the covers. Oh boy.' Without warning, he embraced her, pulling her into his arms and closer to him. Buffy's back was pressed against his chest, and she sighed. She felt warm and safe, and immediately fell asleep, lulled by the sound of his beating heart. "Good night, Buffy," Angel whispered in her ear.


She had never slept so soundly. Maybe it was Angel's arms around her, or the near-perfect evening she just had, but Buffy slept like a rock. And she had a wonderful dream on top of it all. She and Angel were walking hand-in-hand through the courtyard of Sunnydale High. They talked and smiled at each other, kissing every couple minutes. Kevin saw them and strolled over, calling Angel a cradle-robber, and asking why he had to steal his girlfriend. Buffy told Kevin that Angel didn't steal her away from him. When Kevin said to stay out of it, Angel ordered the boy to leave Buffy alone. But the boy was stubborn, and shoved Angel, who shoved him back. The push knocked Kevin into a puddle of mud. Everybody around them started laughing at him, making pig noises.

"Guess you really are a pig, Kevin. And now everybody knows it," taunted Buffy.

She woke up, laying on her left side, still locked in Angel's embrace. Buffy sighed, not wanting this seemingly perfect moment to end. She brought her hand up to his arm.

"Morning," Angel said.

Buffy turned her head. Angel lay on his side as well, his eyes open and aware. He'd been awake for some time. "Morning to you, too."

"How'd you sleep?"

"Like I hadn't in weeks. You?"

"Never better." It wasn't a lie. With his angel in his arms, Angel had slept better than ever before.

Buffy yawned. "What time is it?"

"Almost ten. Xander is out getting coffee and doughnuts. He left about half an hour ago."

"Why didn't you wake me up?"

"You looked so peaceful. I couldn't bring myself to disturb you," he admitted. Angel unwrapped his arms from Buffy's thin form, sitting up in bed. "Hope you aren't mad."

Buffy watched as the blankets fell to his hips. 'He's only wearing Xander's shorts! Oh God, keep cool. And don't stare!' "Not at all. I need all the beauty rest I can get."

"That's not true. You are already beautiful."

"Thank you," she said shyly. "For everything. Last night meant a lot to me, you showing up and saving me from utter humiliation. And for coming to the party and putting up with Xander's cruel idea of fun."

He placed his hand on her upper arm. "I had a great time. I'd do it again just to see you this happy."

"For me?"

"In a heartbeat."

'Why can't I tell him how I feel? That the kiss last night was the best I ever had. And that falling asleep in his arms felt like home to me. That I want to feel that way every day for the rest of my life.' "I guess we should get up now," Buffy said.

He nodded. "Yeah, we probably should." They both climbed out of bed. "You take the bathroom first. I'll wait until you're done."

"Angel, you don't have to do that. I don't mind waiting."

"Ladies first. I insist."

Angel walked downstairs, finding only Cordelia sitting at the kitchen table. "Hello, Cordelia," he greeted.

The girl looked up from the newspaper article she was reading. "Good morning," she replied, emphasizing the word "good." He had not bothered to put Xander's shirt back on. 'No wonder Buffy's got it bad for this guy. Hello, like total Greek god. How lucky is she?'

"Is anyone else up yet?"

She shook her head. "Just you, me and Xander. Where's Buffy?"

"In the bathroom, we just woke up."

"Late night?" she implied.

"Not in the sense you mean, Cordelia. I'm not dumb, I know what you're implying. Nothing happened."

"Sure. Like that kiss meant nothing to you two."

Angel eyed her. "It was just a kiss. A dare."

"Uh-huh. You think what you want to, Angel. But I know better."


"Thanks for driving me home," Buffy said when Angel dropped her off.

"You're welcome. It wouldn't be right to make you walk. Here, let me carry your bag." Angel took Buffy's overnight bag as they walked to her front porch.

Buffy smiled at him. "I know I must sound like a broken record, but thank you again. Prom would have been a total disaster otherwise."

"No, thank you for making me see what I missed out in high school."

She looked down at the ground. "Um, you can say no if you want to, but I was wondering if you had plans for tonight. Giles wants me to patrol, since I didn't last night. I thought you might want to go with me."

"Thank you for inviting me. I'd love to."

"Great. Want to meet here at seven?"

"It's a date." He leaned down, kissing her softly on the cheek. "Bye, Buffy."

"Good-bye."

She watched him pull out of the driveway before entering her house. After closing the front door behind her, Buffy leaned against it and sighed.

Mrs. Summers saw her daughter standing there. "Have a good time, honey?"

"The best."

"I can tell. You're beaming. I haven't seen you this happy in a long time."

"You were right, Mom. I had the time of my life."

"See? Going by yourself isn't all that bad."

Buffy moved away from the door, heading for the living room couch. Mrs. Summers sat next to her. "Willow asked Angel to come and be my date. He saved me from being humiliated by Kevin and he wanted to be my date."

"Really? That was very sweet of him."

"And we danced and talked. It was like we were the only two people in the world. Then we went to Xander's house, played Truth or Dare and we had to kiss. Mom, it was the best kiss ever. I fell asleep in his arms...it was just amazing!"

Mrs. Summers took note of the expression on Buffy's face. "You really like Angel, don't you?"

"I love him. Mom, I know what you are going to say; that I'm too young. But I do. In the year I dated Kevin, I never felt this way. Like it was meant to be. Until last night, I wasn't positive, but now I am. Angel and I are soulmates."

"I would never judge you that way, Buffy. I trust you, and if you believe that you love him, I am happy for you. Have you told Angel how you feel?" her mother asked.

"No. I wasn't one hundred percent until last night. And before that, I didn't even think he liked me. Now though, I think there might be a chance. It was the kiss. I could tell. And falling asleep in his arms, it felt so right."

"Why didn't you say anything to him before?"

Buffy shrugged. "I was afraid he'd laugh in my face. You know I've never handled rejection well."

"What makes you think he'll reject you? Buffy, I'm not going to tell you what to do, but I will give you some advice. Tell Angel how you feel; find out how he feels. If you think there's something between you two, you deserve to know for sure. It'll save you a world of hurt later down the road. Being open and honest is the best way to start a relationship," advised Mrs. Summers.

"You're right, Mom. The worst that can happen is he says he doesn't feel the same way. I have to tell him. Now, before I lose my nerve."


"Coming!" Angel called, hearing the knocking on the door. He'd been laying on the couch, reliving the past twenty-four hours. He found Buffy standing in the hall when he opened the door. "Buffy."

She smiled sheepishly. "Hi, Angel. May I come in?"

"Of course." She stepped inside and he closed the door, asking, "Is something wrong?"

When he turned to face her, Buffy was standing a foot away. She didn't answer him. Instead, she wrapped her arms around his neck, pressing his face down to meet hers. She caught his lips in a heated kiss which he wasted no time in responding to. Neither broke the kiss until the need to breathe overwhelmed them.

"What...?" Angel started. "Did I miss something?"

Buffy shook her head. "No, you didn't miss anything. There's something I need to tell you."

"What is it?"

She took a deep breath, preparing to bare her soul. "I'm in love with you, Angel. Not just in a brother-sister kind of way; in an 'I want to be with you forever' kind of way. And I don't know how you feel, but I couldn't hold it in anymore. It's been eating away at me for weeks. On some subconscious level, I think I've been in love with you since I saw you. I never knew how you felt, so I held back and kept it a sec--"

Angel hushed Buffy's rambling with a kiss of his own. He placed his hands on her waist, lifting her to his level with ease. Her hands made their way to his hair, running through the dark brown spikes. Angel pressed her even closer to him, not allowing an inch of space between them. The kiss slowly ended, and he placed her back on the ground again, staring into her eyes.

"I love you, too, Buffy."


"You love me?" an astonished Buffy replied.

Angel nodded. He took her hands in his, leading her to the couch. They sat down, still holding hands. "I love you. I have since the moment I first laid eyes on you."

"But..." Then it sunk in. "The girl you told me about; love at first sight girl who had no idea how you felt. That was me, wasn't it?"

"Yes, Buffy. When you walked into the library the first day we met, I knew. I loved you. My destiny walked into my life in the form of a beautiful young woman named Buffy Summers. You. And my life has not been the same since," he explained.

"Why didn't you say anything?"

"At first, because of Kevin. You seemed so happy with him and I didn't want to ruin that. It would have been selfish of me. Aside from that, there's the Watcher's Council. They firmly believe that a Slayer and her Watcher should be distanced from each other."

"You aren't my Watcher, Angel," Buffy pointed out.

"Technically, no. But to them, I'm still a Watcher, and by training with Giles, I am taking part in your training. In the Council's eyes, I am your Watcher."

"They are thousands of miles away! How could the ever find out?" Buffy saw the look on his face. "Giles. But as long as he doesn't find out, the Council will never know."

"Giles knows how I feel. The way I act around you, it made him realize what was going on. I don't know if he's going to tell them or not."

Buffy touched his cheek. "That's all you were worried about? Giles won't tell, I know him. And Kevin is so out of the picture. He has been for weeks. What kept holding you back?"

He looked away. "I thought I scared you."

"What? How?"

"When we first kissed, you ran away. I was afraid I came on too strong and it frightened you," he admitted.

She shook her head. "I ran away because I was afraid you'd want more; that I'd want more and out of fear of what I might do. Angel, I've never been kissed like that before. So many emotions were running through me, I thought I would do something really stupid. Not to mention, I was afraid of what you might think of me."

"That kiss...it was amazing, Buffy. I could never think less of you because of it, 'cause I wanted it, too. I wanted you; I still do."

"Really?"

"I honestly believe you are my true love. The one I'm destined to be with."

"Me too," she agreed. "Where does that leave us?"

He cupped her face in his hands. "I am going to follow my heart. Buffy, it has led me to you. I want more than anything to be with you, whether it be as a friend or a soulmate."

"I feel the same way. Only I won't settle for friendship. I want the whole package. Soulmate. Forever."

"Forever."

A gentle, loving kiss sealed their decision.


Buffy sat in Willow's bedroom an hour later. She needed to tell her best friend everything that happened. "So, after I talked to Mom, I went to Angel's apartment. He barely got out a sentence before I jumped him."

Willow's eyes widened. "You're kidding."

"Well, I didn't literally jump him, but as soon as he closed the door, I kissed him. And he kissed me back and it was...wow."

"What did you say? What did he say?"

Buffy grinned. "I told him that I am in love with him, and I guess I started rambling because halfway through a sentence Angel started kissing me. And then he said he loves me too. Will, I'm the girl he told me about!"

"I know."

Buffy raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean you know?"

"A couple weeks ago, I heard Angel and Giles talking. I overheard Angel telling him that he's in love with you. I knew how you felt and how he felt, but it wasn't my place to tell you guys."

"And you decided to do a little matchmaking?"

Willow shrugged. "You two would never had admitted it. Xander, Cordy and Oz helped me. I convinced Angel to show up at the Prom, knowing that he'd want to go with you. Then I brought up Xander's party because I was sure you'd invite Angel. I came up with the idea for Truth or Dare, but the dare was all Xander's idea."

"I really should be mad at you for this little stunt," Buffy said to her. "But I can't. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have had the perfect Prom, or wouldn't have kissed Angel again, or have woken up in his arms this morning, or wouldn't have admitted to him how much I love him. Thank you, Will."

The two girls hugged. "What are you and Angel going to do now?" asked Willow.

"We're meant to be together, and nothing's going to stop us. Angel and I don't care what anyone else thinks. In fact, he's coming over tonight to meet Mom."


She asked Angel to come over half an hour early so her mother could meet him before patrol. Buffy and Mrs. Summers sat in front of the television, waiting for him to arrive.

"Honey, stop wringing your hands," Mrs. Summers told her.

"Sorry. I guess I'm nervous about you meeting Angel; afraid you won't like him," Buffy said.

"Don't worry so much. From what you've told me, I know I'll like him. If you love each other, just trust that. Forget everyone else."

Buffy sighed. "You're my mother. I need you to believe in us. If you can't, then I don't know what I'll do. I need your approval. I may love him, but you're opinion means a lot to me."

"Why don't we wait until Angel gets here and let me decide."

For the next ten minutes, Buffy tried to watch television, but it made no impact on her. The words went in one ear and out the other. At exactly six-thirty, the doorbell rang, making her jump off the couch. "It's him."

"Go answer the door, Buffy."

Mrs. Summers waited in the living room while her daughter opened the door. She could only see Buffy, and saw the grin on her face upon seeing their guest. A minute later, Buffy entered the room once again, holding hands with a tall, dark-haired man in his mid-twenties.

"Mom, I'd like you to meet Angel. Angel, this my mother, Joyce Summers," Buffy introduced.

Mrs. Summers extended her hand to the young man. 'Buffy wasn't lying when she said he was good-looking.' "It's a pleasure to meet you, Angel."

"Likewise, ma'am," he replied, shaking her hand.

"Please, call me Joyce." She took a seat on the reclining chair while Buffy and Angel sat close to each other on the couch. "Tell me a bit about yourself."

Angel took a deep breath. He tried not to show how nervous he was, but meeting Buffy's mother proved to be nerve-wracking. "I'm twenty-seven years old, I lived in L.A. almost my entire life, graduated from UCLA three years ago with a Master's in History."

"How do you support yourself?"

He looked at Buffy, who mouthed, "Tell her the truth." "I've been tutoring Buffy for almost a month now, so that takes care of my food expenses. But the majority of my income comes from the Watcher's Council."

"The Watcher's Council?" questioned Mrs. Summers. "The ones in charge of the Slayers?"

"One in the same. I've been training to be a Watcher for three years now. I came to Sunnydale to learn the everyday routine of the Slayer -- Buffy," said Angel.

"That's very interesting. So you are going to be a Watcher to a Slayer. After Buffy dies."

Angel saw where Mrs. Summers was going with this. "I'm not going to let anything happen to Buffy. I swear it. I love her, Mrs. Summers...Joyce."

"I trust that you won't let anything happen to my daughter. And by the look in your eyes, I can tell you love Buffy. I'm happy for you both."

"Thank you."

"What about your family? What do they think of your career choice, Angel?" she wanted to know.

When Angel didn't answer right away, Buffy grasped his hand. "I never met my father, he left before I was born. My mother...she died when I was six. Her Watcher raised me."

"Her Watcher? Your mother was a Slayer?"

"Yes. It's -- it's not something I'm comfortable discussing. I'm sorry."

Buffy glanced at the clock on the VCR. "Angel, we should get a move on. The vamps are going to be out soon."

He nodded in agreement. "You're right." They stood up. "It was nice to meet you, Joyce."

"Same here. Please don't be a stranger. You're welcome here anytime."

"Thank you very much."

Angel and Buffy headed for the door. "Buffy?" Mrs. Summers called.

"Yeah, Mom?" she asked.

"He's a nice young man, honey. Hold on to him with both hands. Don't let him go."

"I'm not planning on it."


Buffy and Angel walked through the cemetery. They'd come across two vampires in the hour since they began patrolling.

"I'm getting pooped," she said. "The vamps are out in full force tonight. Must be the weather."

"Yeah. Must be."

She glanced at him. His handsome face wore a mask of sadness. "What's wrong?"

He shook his head. "Nothing. Don't worry about it."

Buffy stopped walking, and Angel stopped as well. "I am worried about it. If we're going to make us work, we have to be honest with each other. Please tell me what's on your mind."

Angel sat down on the grass, leaning against a gravestone. "I want so badly to tell you everything, Buffy. But talking about my mother is hard for me."

"Look, I'm sorry about what my mother said. She didn't know, Angel. And whenever you're ready to tell me about her, I'll be here to listen. Forever, remember?" She sat down next to him, holding his arm as a show of comfort, support and love.

"How did I get so lucky?"

"We're both lucky, I guess." She leaned over, kissing him softly.

"Aren't we supposed to be patrolling?" he asked when the kiss ended.

"We're taking a break. A pooped Slayer is a careless Slayer. Let that be lesson number one," Buffy told him.

Angel smiled. "Lessons now? Do I have to take notes, too?"

"No, let's leave that to Giles." She stared for a moment into the darkness. "Giles! What are we going to tell him? About us."

"The truth. I thought we didn't care what people thought about us. As long as we love each other, nobody else matters," reminded Angel.

"You're right. But I'm freaked now; we have to tell Giles. It never occurred to me, but what if he tells the Council and you lose your job?"

"Don't worry so much. If the Council fires me, then I can do something else."

Buffy looked at him. "You told me being a Watcher was all you ever wanted to do. Because of your mom." She realized she'd made a mistake in mentioning Angel's mother. "Oops. Sorry."

"It's okay, Buffy. You don't have to tiptoe around the subject. I think I'm ready to tell you about her, but now here, not now. Maybe tomorrow. And as for my being a Watcher, you're right. It is all I ever wanted to do. But if it comes down to choosing between you and the Watcher's Council, I'll choose you without a second thought. The Council means a lot to me, but you mean so much more. You're my true love, Buffy. Nothing will ever change that."

"You'd do that for me? Give up everything you ever worked for?"

Angel touched his forehead to hers. "Nothing else matters to me anymore except you."

Buffy hugged him close to her, leaning her head into the juncture where his shoulder and neck met, kissing his warm skin. "I love you so much. I never thought it was possible to love someone like this."

"Me either."


For the second night in a row, Buffy slept soundly. When she awakened Sunday morning she felt refreshed and relaxed, almost as if she were a new person. Her alarm clock read ten-fourteen, so Buffy climbed out of bed, stretching. She walked downstairs to the kitchen, expecting to find her mother sitting at the table. Instead, she found a note.

Buffy,

Had some errands to run. I'll be back by noon, I promise. Mr. Giles called at nine this morning to ask about patrol last night. Please call him back, he sounded anxious.

Love,

Mom

Buffy sighed. Calling Giles was the last thing she wanted to do. Patrolling hadn't exactly gone as usual. She and Angel spent more time kissing then slaying. Picking up the phone, Buffy dialed Giles' number.

"Hello?" he answered, on the third ring.

"Hi, Giles. Mom left me a note saying you called. What's up?"

"Did you just wake up?" he wanted to know.

"Yeah. I was a little tired."

Giles cleared his throat. "Was it a late night last night? Did patrol go well?"

"Uh-huh. Got four vamps in all. We had loads of fun."

"We? Willow went with you?"

Buffy didn't know whether or not to tell him the truth or not. If she told Giles that Angel went with her, he might find it a bit odd. They only patrolled together during the week. Or so he thought. "No. Me and the vamps 'we', not Willow and me 'we.'"

"Very well. Patrol was fruitful, though?"

"Yep. Told you, got four vamps."

"How was Prom, then? I know how excited Xander and Willow were about it. Did you have a good time?" Giles asked.

"I had a great time, Giles." 'Thanks to Angel.'

"I'm glad to hear it. I only called to see how patrol went last night. Unless something unforseen should occur, I'll see you in school tomorrow, Buffy."

"'Bye, Giles." Buffy hung up the phone. "Thank God that's over."


At two o'clock, Buffy was sitting on the couch next to Angel in his apartment, holding the picture of him and his mother. "I can't get over how cute you were," she said.

"Were?"

"Okay, so you're still cute. I love that little blue baseball cap. Do you still have it?"

He shook his head. "After we moved, most of my stuff stayed in San Francisco. I have very few things from my childhood."

"That must have been hard, leaving everything behind."

"I don't remember it really well. My mother's Watcher, Mr. Kensington -- I always called him Geoffrey -- thought it would be better if we moved away from the bad memories. Mom died on a Thursday night and we were in L.A. by Friday afternoon."

Buffy snuggled closer to Angel. "I'm sorry. Have you ever been back there?"

"In 1996, before I left for England to begin my Watcher studies, I visited her grave. Left her a dozen roses and told her how much I missed her. I haven't been back since," Angel said.

"What was her name?"

"Carolyn Reilly."

"She had a beautiful name. She was a beautiful woman, Angel. And she loved you, I can tell just by looking at the expression on her face in this picture."

He managed a smile. "I loved her, too. I only wish there was more I could remember about her."

"You were young." She rested her head on his shoulder. "There is one more thing I'm curious about."

"What's that?"

"I'm not sure if you even know the answer to it."

"Try me."

"Well, why did she name you Angel? It's such an unusual name," Buffy commented. 'Like Buffy is such a normal name, too.'

Angel exhaled deeply. "My mother had been patrolling with her Watcher when she was seven and a half months pregnant. They were attacked by a vampire, but before Mr. Kensington could stake him, the vamp kicked my mother in the stomach. She went into premature labor and gave birth to me the next day. The doctor's weren't sure if I would make it; being the early seventies, the hospital didn't have much in the way of neo-natal technology. She named me Angel so that if I lived or died, she'd always have an angel with her."

"I wish I could have met her, she sounds like a great woman."

"From what I've heard, she was."

Buffy wrapped her arms around Angel, giving him a long, loving kiss. "We'll visit her someday soon. You and me."

"You mean it? You'd go with me, Buffy?"

"Yes I would. I want to thank her for giving me you."


"How was your weekend? Anything interesting happen?" Cordelia asked Monday morning at lunch.

The gang sat at a round table next to the window facing the library. Through the library's window, Buffy could see Giles and Angel sorting through a pile of books. She licked her lips, imagining her lips on his, her hands in his hair, his hands running up and down her back. Buffy shook off the image. 'Not here. I can't be thinking about that here,' she scolded herself.

"My weekend was great, Cordy. How was yours?" Buffy knew what Cordelia was really asking, but wouldn't give out the details unless asked outright.

"Who cares about my weekend. I wanna hear what it was like to wake up next to Angel."

Buffy shrugged. "It was nice, I guess."

"Nice?" repeated the brunette. "Please, Angel is a total hunk, you shared a bed with him and all you can say was that it was nice?"

Xander raised his hand. "Hello, Xander's still sitting at the table. Do you really have to remind us that History Boy is good-looking? Because I think we already covered that awhile ago."

"Shut up, Xander," Cordelia and Willow said in unison.

"Come on," pleaded Cordelia. "I want details."

"Fine. When I woke up Saturday morning, I was in his arms and he was watching me sleep."

Cordelia widened her brown eyes. "Did anything happen? Did you two...?"

"No! Nothing like that happened."

"You might want to tell them the news, Buffy," Willow suggested.

Buffy glanced into the library window again. Angel looked out at the same time. She smiled. "Angel and I decided that we belong together."

"That's great. Congratulations!" Cordelia gave her friend a hug.

"It's about time," said Xander. "How'd you two crazy kids finally come to that conclusion? Because we've known for quite some time now."

"I had a long talk with my mother and she convinced me to tell him how I feel. So I went to his apartment and told him. I said I loved him and he said the same thing. And things just went on from there."

"Were there smoochies?" Xander wanted to know.

"Maybe. Okay, so there were lots of smoochies. At his apartment and on patrol."

"You guys were making out in public while you supposed to be patrolling?"

"You guys make it sound so bad. And we weren't in public. We were in the cemetery," explained Buffy.

Willow had a question. "What does Giles have to say?"

Buffy shrugged. "Angel and I haven't told him. We're kind of afraid of what he'll say."

"Why would Giles be upset about it?" Xander asked. "Angel's just your History tutor." He didn't know that Angel was a Watcher. Buffy never had a reason to tell him.

"Because Angel's a Watcher-in-training sent here to observe me and train with Giles. And Watchers aren't supposed to have any kind of feelings for Slayers. They're supposed to be detached."

Xander nodded his head in understanding. "Ah. I can see why Giles would have a problem with you two being a couple. Are you guys gonna tell him, though?"

"Eventually. But not right away. Yeah, it's going to be hard to keep it from Giles...he's always there. He will totally flip out, I just know it."


Throughout their tutoring session, Buffy and Angel had a hard time keeping their hands off of each other. They held hands under the table, brushed their legs against each other, stole glances at each other when Giles wasn't looking. He walked in and out of his office every five minutes.

"Is he ever gonna leave?" Buffy muttered under her breath. "We can't even get five minutes alone together without Giles walking into the room."

Angel grasped her hand. "Buffy, we'll be patrolling tonight. Alone. Giles won't be there."

"I don't want to wait that long. God, it took all my self-control to keep from kissing you when I walked in here. Even now it's hard," said Buffy.

"I know exactly what you mean. But we should get back to work before he starts getting suspicious."

"Probably a good idea." Buffy turned the page in her History book. "Be tutor and tutoree Angel and Buffy. Got it. Let's move on to the Nixon administration. Lots of fun there."

Angel gave her a small smile. "Maybe it'll get my mind off how much I want to kiss you right now."

"Save that thought for later."

Half an hour later, their History lesson ended. Buffy walked to the locker room to change into her workout clothes. Giles came out of his office once again and approached Angel, who stood at the table packing up the History books.

"Angel, a problem has arisen that requires my immediate attention. I won't be able to partake in Buffy's training session today. You've sat through enough of them, and I feel I can trust you to take my place," Giles informed the young man.

"You want me to train Buffy today?"

"I feel you can handle it. Can I trust you, Angel?" Giles asked with a raised eyebrow.

Angel was offended. "I would hope you wouldn't have to ask me such a question."

"I know your feelings for Buffy run deeply. I want to be sure you won't let them get in the way."

'A little late for that.' "Not to worry, Giles. Everything is under control."

"Very well. I don't know when I'll be back. Be careful, Angel. Buffy is a difficult adversary. She's strong and powerful."

Angel nodded. "I'm stronger than most humans; I inherited my mother's strength. Giles, I'll be able to hold my own."

"Good luck and I shall see you later." The elder Watcher exited the library.

Five minutes after Giles left, Buffy returned. She looked around, but didn't see her Watcher in the room. "Where's Giles?" she wanted to know.

"He had to leave. Some kind of emergency came up and he had to go," answered Angel.

"What about my training?"

"I'm doing it today. Giles thinks I'm ready to work on training with you."

Buffy grinned. 'Alone at last.' "I hope you can handle it. I may just kick your ass."

Angel lifted his gray sweater over his head and placed it on the table behind him. He wore nothing underneath, and stood bare chested in front of Buffy. "Don't hold back. I have a lot of my mother's strength, I can take it."

Buffy headed over to the cage where Giles keeps the weapons. She pulled out two swords, one for her and one for Angel. "Ready to fight?" she asked, tossing him one.

"Ready, willing and able. Hit me with your best shot."

She swung at him, narrowly missing his head. Angel blocked the next swing with a blow of his own. This went on for ten minutes before they dropped their weapons in favor of punches and kicks. Buffy eased her punches so as not to hurt Angel. He, however, opted to do just the opposite. He unleashed all of his strength, proving that he could take anything she threw at him. With one roundhouse kick, Angel knocked Buffy to the ground flat on her back.

"Ow," she complained. "That hurt."

"Sorry. Here, let me help you up." Angel held out his hand, intending to assist Buffy in standing.

When she gripped his arm, Buffy pulled him, forcing him to fall on top of her. "This feels a lot better."

"Buffy, you could be hurt."

"So kiss me and make it all better."

"Buffy..."

She wrapped her arms around his neck when Angel tried to stand up. Buffy used all of her strength to hold him in place. He couldn't get out of her grasp. Fearing he may be putting unnecessary pressure on her possibly injured body, Angel applied all of his body weight onto his arms, keeping his upper body off Buffy.

The kiss great from fun-loving to dangerously passionate in a short period of time. Their tongues dueled inside each others' mouths, and Buffy ran her hands across the warm, damp skin of Angel's bare back, trying to memorize each ridge. Her legs tangled around his, lifting his one pant leg over his calf.

Giles entered the library, staring in shock at Buffy and Angel's heated embrace on the floor. When he could form a sentence, he exclaimed, "What the hell is going on here?"


They disentangled their limbs and climbed quickly to their feet. Buffy straightened her hair while Angel fixed his pant leg. "Giles, this isn't what it looks like," Buffy said.

"Really?"

"I--I can explain," Angel began with a stammer.

"Let me guess. You were training and your lips fell on top of Buffy's?" Giles asked, matter-of-factly.

Angel gazed at the floor. There was no way he and Buffy could get out of this predicament without telling the Watcher the truth. She held his right hand in her left, placing her right hand on top of them. "Angel and I love each other very much and we belong together."

"Really?" he repeated. "When did this come about? Because last time I saw you two together you barely looked at one another. Now all of a sudden you're all over each other?"

"It happened this weekend, after Prom," Buffy said to Giles.

"I was under the impression you went alone, Buffy. Did you have a sudden revelation during the Electric Slide?"

"Willow asked me to go as a favor," Angel informed him. "She wanted Buffy to have a good time, so I went intending to be her date. Nothing more than that. Things just went on from there."

Giles nodded. "That explains why I was unable to get a hold of you Friday night. This -- this thing you two have decided upon is not a wise idea."

Buffy didn't get it. She expected Giles to be upset at first, but figured he'd get over his anger quickly. "Because of the Council? They are half a world away! And Angel and I don't care what they think; what anyone thinks. We're in love."

"Buffy, you being in a relationship with Angel is a mistake."

She threw her arms out in front of her. "Why? You've never had a problem with me dating before. You were always okay with Kevin and Scott and Owen."

Giles shook his head. "No I wasn't. A Slayer in a romantic relationship is dangerous. To both parties."

"What's so dangerous about me being with Angel? He knows who I am, what I am, he ca hold his own in a fight and he can protect me if I need protecting."

The Watcher exhaled his breath angrily. "Buffy, go change out of your workout clothes. I need to speak with Angel alone."

"No. Anything you say to Angel you can say to me, too."

"Now!" Giles shouted.

Glancing once at Angel before walking away, Buffy stormed out of the library.

"Giles, look--"

"No, I don't want to hear it," Giles interrupted. "But I do want to know what in bloody hell you were thinking. And for God's sake, put your shirt back on."

Angel did as Giles requested. "Buffy already told you, we love each other."

"Buffy is a naive, vulnerable, impressionable young woman. You are older and wiser, Angel. You should know better."

"I'm not going to hurt her. I love her more than I've ever loved anyone else."

"You know what the Council will say," he reminded Angel.

Angel shrugged. "So tell them. And while you're at it, why don't you tell them you love her, too. I know you do, she's like a daughter to you." He was beginning to lose his temper with Giles' threats.

"Yes, I love her, but I don't go making out with her on the library floor for everyone to watch, either! I hoped you would show better judgement than that."

"I refuse to apologize for loving her; it was beyond my control. You make it seem as though I planned it. Like I saw her and said, 'She's really pretty. I think I'll fall in love with her.' Love isn't brains, it's blood. And part of being in love is losing control. I may not have much experience in matters of the heart, but I know that much."

Giles frowned. "I suppose nothing I say will stop you from continuing on with Buffy. The repercussions of this decision are yours to deal with. Angel, you should have thought more about this before jumping into whatever you're jumping into with Buffy."

"I've thought about it for a month now. Any doubt I had flew out the window when Buffy said she loves me. And there is nothing you can say or do to change my mind. I'm old enough to make my own decisions, Giles, I don't need your blessing. If you'll excuse me, I have to go find Buffy."

After Angel left, Giles entered his office, pulled out his address book and dialed the long-distance number he searched for. He waited anxiously until it was the answered on the other end.

"Hello, this is Rupert Giles...I am fine, how are you?...I'm glad to hear it. I'm sorry to bother you, I know how busy you are. But there is a problem here that I believe you can help me with. It's in regards to Angel. I desperately need your help."


"Will, it was horrible," Buffy said on the phone with Willow before dinner. "Giles totally lost it. He yelled at me and said that me and Angel are a bad idea."

"Maybe he just needs some time. It must have been a big shock to him, seeing you two making out on the floor."

"I guess so. But he could've been more understanding. He acted like we were driven by our hormones or something like that. We aren't, though. Angel and I love and respect each other."

"I know that, Buffy. I can see where he's coming from, though. He walked into the library and found you two getting hot and heavy on the floor. Maybe he thought you were going to...to sleep together if he hadn't come in when he did." Willow was trying to see things from Giles' perspective.

"No way! I'm not ready for that yet."

"Then let me ask you this: when Giles walked in, how far had you gone with Angel?"

Buffy sighed. She knew what Willow was getting at. "We were on the floor. I guess at least second base, pushing third. But that still doesn't give Giles the right to say that stuff about us."

"He's only looking out for you. He could think you're still on the rebound from Kevin."

"No. Giles said me and Angel were dangerous if we are a couple. God, I wish he could see things the way I do. I'm over Kevin, I love Angel. Why can't he see that?"

"Buffy! Dinner!" Mrs. Summers called from the kitchen.

"I have to eat dinner now. See you tomorrow, Willow. 'Bye." Buffy hung up the phone and headed for the kitchen. She sat down in her usual chair.

"How was school today, Buffy?" Mrs. Summers asked.

Buffy shrugged. "Okay, I guess." She didn't feel like telling her mother about the incident in the library.

"What's wrong? Something's bothering you, I can tell."

"It's nothing. I just had a bad day."

"Did something happen with your friends? With Angel?"

She shook her head. "No. Everything's fine with them."

"Then what is it?"

"I don't want to talk about it. Can we eat, please? I'm hungry and I have to patrol tonight," Buffy said.

"Is Angel going with you?"

"No. I'm stopping by his place after I'm done. I may be home a little later than usual."

Mrs. Summers eyed her daughter. "I hope you're not planning on doing anything irrational."

"Mom, don't worry. Angel and I are taking things slowly. I'm not ready for that big of a step," Buffy reassured her mother.

"Alright, I believe you and I trust you. I'll extend your curfew to eleven, but not a minute later."

Buffy smiled. "Thanks. I just really need to talk to him."


"I still don't get why Giles flipped out. Yeah, I understand it, you're a Watcher and I'm a Slayer. But we love each other. He should be happy for us," Buffy said. She felt tears running down her cheeks.

"You don't have to cry over it. He'll come around. Right now he's in shock over what he saw," Angel tried to comfort her. He pulled her face to his chest, letting her cry.

She sniffled. "Is he going to tell the Council?"

He caressed her cheek with his fingers. "I don't know. Personally, I don't care. I love you. And I don't think he could say anything. It would be hypocritical of him to do so. Giles thinks of you like a daughter, so in a way, he loves you, only different from the way I do. Telling the Council and having them investigate would jeopardize his job, not just mine."

Buffy leaned her head up, kissing his neck, working her way up to his lips. Unlike the last time, Angel didn't try to stop her. He kissed her with the same ferocity, plundering her mouth with his tongue. She moaned with pleasure when his hands roamed under her shirt, moving up and down her back, and when his lips trailed from her mouth to her ears and then to her throat. He moved his hands, putting them on her upper arms, pushing to her lay flat on the couch cushions.

With Angel on top of her, Buffy took the opportunity to remove his sweater, leaving him as clothed as he had been earlier. She raked her nails across his skin, moving her hands up and down gently. "Oh God, don't stop. Please, I love you, don't stop," she whispered as he nibbled on her earlobe.

A knock on the door caused Angel to stop his ministrations. "Don't answer it," Buffy told him.

"I have to. It might be important." He climbed off of her and pulled his sweater back on. He opened the door, surprised to see a tall, salt-and-pepper haired man standing on the other side. "Geoffrey."

Geoffrey Kensington smirked at Angel. "Hello, Angel. Aren't you going to invite me in?"

More

 

<< back