"Nobody's Perfect"

Author: A. Price
Email: andramichelle@yahoo.com

1

2

3

Giles heard them coming up the walk and waited at the door for them. Buffy scowled at him as she came into the house. "Why did you send him to watch me? I can still patrol, Giles."

"I thought you could use the extra eyes tonight and I am not going to argue or apologize for it." Giles used his best fatherly tone and Buffy had to give him a small smile.

"Okay." She hugged him, "How is Dawn?"

"She went to bed promptly at ten o'clock. Her teeth were brushed."

"Good. Does she seem okay to you?"

"Remarkably she really does. I think of course it will take lots of time for your lives to return to normal, but she is handling it well. I think knowing she has a reprieve from going to your father's house has helped." Giles picked up his coat and got ready to leave. "Angel are you staying the night again?," he called into the kitchen.

"Yes, I am. I'll talk to you tomorrow Giles." He answered as he pulled things from the refrigerator and made a snack for Buffy.

"Goodnight." Giles shut the door and Buffy walked to the kitchen.

"I'm going to ... " She didnt' finish the sentence when she saw the huge sandwich Angel was making, "Hungry?," she asked with a grin.

Angel turned to her, "This is for you, you must be hungry after that patrol."

"Well, not really." She watched his face fall, "But I could probably eat half."

He grinned at her, "Good." He cut the sandwich in half and pushed the plate towards her.

"Angel, I didn't mean to gripe at you about Riley." She bit into the sandwich.

"It's okay, I mean I told you to move on. I mean I wanted you to have normal, I have no right to complain when you did. I only wish it had turned out better for you."

"I'm okay with it. It's not like I haven't been left before." She wished she could catch the words before they flew out of her mouth as she saw the hurt look on Angel's face. They couldnt' have a simple conversation without hurting each other, how would they ever pull off this *engagement*.

Angel didn't respond to her last comment as he cleaned up the crumbs from the counter top.

"You know if you keep cleaning this kitchen, I'm gonna have to hire you fultime." She tried to joke with him.

He graced her with a small smile, "Yeah, Dawn wanted to know if I did windows."

Buffy giggled at the thought of Angel scrubbing their windows. The sound startled Angel - it had been far too long since he had heard her laugh.

"So you want me to read to you tonight?" He asked as she finished the sandwich.

"Actually I need to try to sleep on my own. But if you really want to you can sleep in that uncomfortable chair all night again," she smiled at him.

"I fell asleep there."

"So you weren't keeping an eye on me, to make sure I didnt' get up and find some pills or alcohol?" She raised her eyebrows at him.

"No, I didn't. The real reason I stayed was to watch you sleep. You look so peaceful and you make these little noises." His voice was soft and he stopped himself before he said too much.

"Noises? Do I snore?" Buffy asked, her eyes wide.

"Well, I didn't call it a snore." He laughed as he checked the back door.

"But you said noises, sleeping noises usually equal snoring." She had a horrified look on her face.

She followed him up the stairs, "Are they loud noises? This is embarassing."

"They were sweet, lovely noises, Buffy. Don't worry." He suddenly leaned over and kissed her nose shocking both of them.

"Uhhh... I better get changed for bed." Buffy said hastily as she retreated to her bedroom.

"Yeah. Goodnight." Angel told her as he walked into Joyce's room. He sat on the bed and mumbled out loud,"Stupid, stupid, stupid."


Buffy closed the door to her bedroom and raised her hand to touch her nose. He had kissed her, it was on her nose but it was still his lips on her face. Why? What had made him just instinctively lean down and kiss her nose, it was a sweet gesture, comforting in an odd way. She got ready for bed and crawled under the covers, she closed her eyes expecting the sleeplessness to overtake her and force her up again. Instead she felt peaceful as she laughed at herself as she tried to dissect a simple kiss on the nose.* But nothing between Angel and I is ever simple.* She fell asleep smiling and for the first night since her mother died she slept peacefully.

Across the hall, Angel was not sleeping well. He was listening to make sure Buffy was sleeping okay. He was worried that after that sudden kiss she would probably have nightmares. Why in the world did he kiss her? He listened for an hour and never heard her leave her bed. He quietly walked across the hall and cracked her door, she was sleeping, curled up under the covers making those adorable breathy noises. He smiled and went back to his bed.


Buffy awoke to her alarm and sat up in the bed stretching. She felt rested, really rested. She peeked in Dawn's room the younger girl was already getting dressed for school, "You want me to get your breakfast?", she called as she started down stairs.

"Sure." Dawn called to her.

Angel peeked out of Joyce's door, "You sound chipper, did you sleep well?" He asked pulling on his shirt. He had obvously been worried about nothing the kiss had not seemed to bother her. Was that a good thing or a bad thing?

"Yes, I did. I think I'm going to school today and then I'm going to come home and cook for Dawn." She smiled at him as he followed her downstairs.

Buffy pulled out the bowls, milk and cereal. She chopped up a banana and divided it between the bowls. She hummed softly as she worked. Angel stood against the cabinet smiling at her. She grinned at him, "What's so funny?"

"You, you seem so back to yourself this morning. I guess a good nights sleep can work wonders."

"I guess so." She smiled again as she poured the milk, "So are you leaving tonight?"

"Yeah, I need to get back and do some work. But I will be back Friday night, so I'll be here for dinner Saturday night."

"Good, I guess I"ll see you when I get home then."

Dawn walked in and grabbed her bowl, "Oh, goody. You cut up nanners and everything," she smiled at Buffy between bites, "What are you two talking about?"

"Angel is going back to LA tonight."

Dawn's face dropped, "So soon?", she looked at Angel worriedly.

"It's okay, Dawn. I'm fine. I slept all night without a problem." Buffy ran her hand through her sisters hair.

Angel smiled at Dawn, "I'll be back Friday night, I've got to be here for dinner on Saturday with your dad."

"Oh, okay." Dawn put her bowl in the sink. "I've got to go now. I'll see you guys later."

Buffy watched her leave, "She really doesn't need to worry about me."

"But she loves you and that's what we do when we love someone... "

"Yeah." She said softly as she put the dishes in the sink, "I'm going to get ready for school. See you later."


Angel busied himself by finishing the dishes and even managed to round up some laundry although he was sure washing Buffy's panties and pajamas was one of the strangest things he had ever done. He quickly folded them and placed them on the end of her bed. He watched several talk shows and talked to Giles on the phone.

"I'm home." Buffy's cheery voice came through the front door.

"In here." Angel called from the very clean living room.

Buffy sat down in the chair across from Angel, "Do you think we need a new couch?"

Angel looked at the couch, "No, it looks fine to me."

"I never liked that couch, I think I'm going to buy a new one." She frowned.

"It looks perfectly fine to me, but if you want we can go look at some this weekend."

"Okay, maybe Dad would like to spend some time alone with Dawnie and that would be an excuse for us to leave them alone."

"Hey!" Dawn called as she came in the door.

"Hey!" Angel and Buffy called in unison. Dawn had to smile at how natural they looked to together. She was going to miss having Angel around.

"How was school?" Buffy asked as Dawn sat down by Angel on the couch.

"Fine, but I might need some homework help. Are you going to be around?"

"Yes, tonight is patrol free night, Giles said he would make a sweep. I can help you." Buffy smiled at Dawn.


The sun was setting as Buffy and Angel finished the dishes. "I guess it's time for you to go."

Angel put away the last dish, "Yes, it probably is. You sure you're going to be okay?"

"I'm sure. And you will be back Friday."

"Yes, I'll be back don't want to dissappoint the future in-law." He laughed softly.

Buffy's soft laugh joined with his, "No wouldn't want to do that."

He had his things packed quickly and stood at the door suddenly feeling very hesitant to leave. Dawn hugged him, "Thank you," she whispered in his ear.

"You are very welcome, call if you need me." He whispered back.

He released Dawn and turned to Buffy, "I guess I'll see you Friday, if you need me..."

Buffy took a step forward and lay her hand on his arm, "I'll be fine. Thank you, Angel, for everything."

"Uh...anytime." He picked up his bag, "Bye."

"Bye." The two sisters waved as he walked to his car.

"I'm going to miss him." Dawn told Buffy as they watched the car leave.

"We'll see him Friday." Buffy said softly.

Dawn had to smile when she noticed the smile on Buffy's face. Maybe, just maybe everything was going to be okay.


Angel smiled at the Buffy and Dawn waving from the door. He turned on the radio and tapped his fingers on the steering wheel as he drove. The drive to LA seemed shorter then usual.

He took his bag up to his room and looked at the clock. It was still early enough to call Buffy - just to check on her.

With all homework done, Buffy and Dawn were trying to move the furniture in the living room around. Buffy want the chairs more in front of the tv. Her reasoning was that they were more comfy then the couch. The started to ring just as she had picked up her end of the couch. It took four rings before she could get to it.

Angel frowned as the phone rang the fourth time, where were they? She didn't say anything about going out.

"Hello." The soft familiar voice finally answered.

"Buffy?"

"Yes, Angel?" Buffy sat down on the counter.

"Yeah, I just wanted to check on you." He suddenly felt foolish and tongue tied.

Buffy smiled at the shyness in his voice, "We're fine. Did you have a good trip back?"

"Yeah, good trip."

"So did Cordy and the others miss you?" She smiled and played with a lock of her hair.

"I haven't talked to them yet. Uhh... I called you first."

"Oh. Well we are okay. It was nice of you to call."

"Umm, well I guess I better go. I should check in with the others." Angel rubbed his forehead.

"Okay, well. Bye. I'll see you Friday."

"Yes, I'll be there Friday. Goodnight. If you need me just call."

"Thanks. Bye." She hung up the phone and joined Dawn in the living room.


The next two days passed almost normally for Buffy and Dawn they went to school, cooked their meals and did a little housework. They develped their own little routine. Friday morning, Dawn could not help but tease Buffy - she was dressed in new black jeans and pretty white peasant blouse. He hair was up and she had applied her makeup perfectly. "Wow, you look good! Is it for anybody special?" Dawn asked with a wide grin.

"No, I just thought I should start taking care of my appearance again." Buffy stuck her tongue out at her sister.

Dawn laughed, "You know, today is Friday. Angel will be here tonight."

"It is Friday, isn't it?" Buffy said innocently.

"Yeah, it is." Dawn giggled softly as she grabbed her books to go.


Cordelia got from her desk three times to check on Angel. She was sure something was wrong, he had been smiling non stop since his return from Sunnydale. He had come to work full of enthusiasm, ready to fight any nasty that showed up. He had even turned on the radio.

Wesley had noticed the difference too and while he appreciated Angel's good mood, it also worried him. Buffy and Angel together always led to tragedy. As much as they loved each other it just never worked out for them.


Willow smiled at Dawn as she came through the front door, "I'm reporting for Dawn duty."

Dawn laughed, "I rented some movie and we've got popcorn."

Buffy bounced down the stairs smiling as she tucked spare stakes in her jacket. Willow frowned slightly when she noticed which jacket it was - Buffy was wearing the leather jacket that Angel had given her. She couldn't remember the last time she had seen her in it. It looked good with the black jeans and white top. Buffy had redone her hair and makeup too.

"Whoa, looking good for the vamps, Buffy?" Willow teased her friend.

"No...I just wanted to wear my new outfit. I'll be back in a few hours."

Dawn gave her a quick hug, "Be careful, okay?"

"You got it. You be good for Willow."

Dawn and Willow watched the blond leave. They sat down in the living room and Dawn popped in a tape. "So Angel is due in later tonight, right?" Willow tossed a piece of popcorn in her mouth.

"Yeah, I'm glad. Buffy is happier since he's been around."

"Are you sure that's good, Dawnie? I mean they tend to end up hurting each other without meaning to."

"I don't care about what happened before, Buffy was really upset and Angel helped her. So, I'm glad he's going to be here." Dawn pouted slightly.

"I didn't mean anything, Dawn. I'm sure everything will be fine." Willow settled in her chair and silently hoped that everything would be fine.


Angel sighed as he looked at the goo on his shirt. It was sticky and smelled terrible, the nasty he and Wesley had just disposed of had been a sloppy, oozy critter. He looked at his watch, no time to shower, he would drive to Sunnydale and get cleaned up before Buffy got home from patrol.

"You're leaving like that?" Cordy asked as she watched Angel take his bag to the car.

"I'll shower there." Angel assured her, he did not want to get there too late.

"But you stink! I mean really stink." Cordy called but it was too late he was gone.


Buffy patrolled for several hours before heading home, it had been an uneventful night. The bad guys must be at home watching tv she thought as she let herself in the back door.

"Hey!" She called softly wouldn't startle Willow and Dawn.

"Hey," came Willow's soft reply. Dawn was asleep on the floor in front of the tv.

Buffy smiled as she nudged her sister, "I'm home safely.Go on to bed."

Dawn smiled groggily and walked up the stairs, "Thanks for coming over, Willow."

"Your welcome, anytime." She smiled at the sleepy girl.

"I've got to go, Buffy. But you know if you need me to babysit again or to just umm.. talk about anything or anybody. Just call me." Willow put her jacket on and walked to the door.

"I'm okay, Will. Thanks for everything. Goodnight."

"Okay, goodnight."


Buffy went to the kitchen to make a snack she was interrupted by a soft knock on the front door. She smiled as she answered it knowing that it must be Angel. Her smile quickly dissappeared when she took in his appearance, his shirt was covered in dried goo and he smelled. She wrinkled her nose as she let him in. "What happened to you?"

Angel shook his head in embarassment. "I didn't think you would be home yet, I thought I would be cleaned up before you got here."

"It's okay. Go shower, you hungry?" She grinned at him.

"A little." He started up the staircase.

"Okay, I'll heat some liquid nutrition for you while you clean up."

"You don't have to do that."

"I want to." She walked back to the kitchen.

She opened the fridge and dug out Angel's "dinner" she poured it into a mug and microwaved it as she finished her snack.

She turned on the radio and realized it was on a instrumental station. She reached to change the station when a large hand covered hers, " Don't change it this is a pretty song."

Angel clasped her hand in his and put an arm around her waist they began to slow dance around the kitchen. "Do you know the words?" She asked as she leaned against him.

"Yeah, I do. It's a Gershwin song called Someone to Watch Over Me."

"Sing them for me." She whispered against him.

"You may regret this," he chuckled softly, and began to sing.

There's a saying old says that love is blind
Still we're often told "seek and ye shall find"
So I'm going to seek a certain girl I've had in mind
Looking everywhere, haven't found her yet
She's the big affair I cannot forget
Only girl I ever think of with regret
I'd like to add her initial to my monogram
Tell me where's the shepherd for this lost lamb
There's a somebody I'm longing to see
I hope that she turns out to be
Someone who'll watch over me
I'm a little lamb who's lost in a wood
I know I could always be good
To one who'll watch over me
Although she may not the girl some men think of as handsome
to my heart She carries the key
Won't you tell her please to put on some speed
Follow my lead, oh how I need
Someone to watch over me
Someone to watch over me"

The music stopped as the DJ began an advertisement. Buffy pulled away from Angel, "That is a pretty song." She picked up his mug and handed it to him, "For you."

"Thanks." He murmured as he took a sip of the warm liquid, he let himself enjoy the moment as he thought about how perfect this could be coming home to Buffy every night, having someone to watch over him for a change.

"Rough night?" She inhaled softly he smelled good and clean and simple like soap.

Her words snapped him out of his reverie,"Not too bad. I just didn't want to get here too late." He took another sip as he watched her pick at her sandwich. "So whats on the agenda for tomorrow night?"

"I think maybe we'll go out to eat. And if dad wants to take Dawn to a movie or something then we can go couch shopping."

"You havent' forgotten that, huh?" Angel smiled at her as he took a paper towel and dabbed the mustard in the corner of her mouth.

"No, I haven't forgotten. Do you not want to go with me?"

"No, it's not that. Every guy loves to furniture shop."

"You don't sound very enthused." She put her plate in the sink. "I can go alone, if you dont' want to go."

"I want to go."

"Okay then, there are three furniture stores in Sunnydale. We can hit all five tomorrow night."

"I didn't realize there were that many furniture stores in Sunnydale." Angel sighed.

"I looked in the phone book." Buffy turned to leave the kitchen, "I'm going to bed now, see you tomorrow. Sleep tight."

"You too."

Buffy turned around one more time, "And thank you for the song and the dance, Angel."

"Your welcome. Goodnight."

"Night."

Angel was left alone in the kitchen, he rinsed out his mug and stood for a few moments, *What am I doing? She doesn't need me here confusing her. We get this Dawn situation under control and things can go back to the way they were,me in LA and Buffy her and never shall the twain meet. Yeah, right.* He sighed heavily as he walked to Joyce's bedroom.


Angel slept late into the morning. The stinky demon fight and drive to LA had worn him out. He awoke to the sound of girlish giggles. "Dawn, I mean it help me with these beds."

"Buffy it's beautiful day, the sheets can get changed later. The sun is shining and I want to go to Melinda's, we want to go to the Galleria. Please!" He could hear Dawn pleading.

"Oh - just go desert me." Buffy feigned distress.

Dawn giggled again, "Thanks, I'll be home in time to get ready for dad."

"Okay. Dawn, be careful." Buffy's voice softened.

"I will."

He heard Dawn bounce down the stairs. He sat up and stretched, smiling he slipped on his jeans and walked into Buffy's room she was changing bed linens. She looked up and smiled brightly, "Your bed is next you want to go pull your sheets for me?" He was shirtless and barefoot and he looked damned good in those jeans. She flushed a little bit.

He smiled at her, "Sure, I'll go get them." He left her alone admiring the rearview as he walked out of the room.

*Buffy, don't go there* She finished making her bed and began to haul the dirty linen downstairs.

Angel soon followed with his sheets in tow. They loaded the washing machine and sat down at the kitchen island. Buffy with a cup of coffee and Angel with his beverage of choice. He read the front page of the paper while Buffy looked at the ads. Specifically the furniture ads. He peeked over the paper at her, she was so intent on what she was doing her forehead was scrunched up and she was chewing on the end of a ink pen that she was using to circle things in the ad.

She looked up and caught him peeking at her, she grinned at him and returned to her task. "I like this one and it's on sale." She finally announced.

"Good then we only have to go to that store."

"Well, no. I mean we should at least look at the other places." She argued sweetly.

He laughed, "Okay." He found it hard to refuse her anything.


The day passed quickly, the house was straight and the laundry done. Dawn arrived home and changed to greet Hank. She showed Buffy and Angel her new diary, "I think I should start keeping a diary again. Don't you?"

"I think it's a great idea." Angel agreed.

"Me, too. And now that I know what it looks like it will be easier to find, when I want to read it." Buffy teased affectionately.

"Buffy!" Dawn rolled her eyes at her sister.

Hank arrived an hour later. They decided to eat dinner out and then Hank would take Dawn to the movies and Buffy and Angel could do thier shopping. Hank told them he understood that they needed time together too. He and Dawn needed to get reaquainted anyway.

Dinner went well. Angel managed to hold his own despite the many questions that Hank asked. They still had time before the movie started so they went home and ate ice cream for dessert.

Angel pulled into the parking lot of the first furniture store. "This is the one with the sale, right?"

"Uh huh. We'll take a look at this couch and then we'll check out the other stores."

"If you like this couch why don't we just buy it?" He asked as they walked between the furniture displays.

"Cause I might like something better somewhere else." She answered him the look on her face stated he had asked a stupid question. Angel shook his head he would never understand this shopping thing if he lived another 244 years.

After touring the other four stores. They found themselves back at the original store. It was almost closing time as Buffy sat on the sofa one more time and pronounced it perfect. "And how will you be paying?" Asked the clerk.

"My mother has an account here." Buffy answered, she had not even considered how she was going to pay.

"I'm paying for it. It's a gift." Angel pulled out his credit card and handed it to the man before Buffy could argue.

"Angel, I can put it on the account. You don't need to pay for it." Buffy looked horrified.

"I want to. It's a gift. No arguments."

"Miss, we can't deliver until next Saturday morning. Will that be okay?" The clerk looked up from his computer.

"Yes, that's fine." Buffy answered and gave him her address.

"You really didn't have to do that." Buffy repeated for the third time as she and Angel walked into the house.

"I know. I wanted to. Let's get those ice cream dishes washed," he walked to the kitchen rolling up his sleeves.

"I like to wash." Buffy giggled as she began to run the water, "You dry."

She tossed him a dishtowel. They were laughing when Angel noticed that Hank was standing in the doorway. He put his arms around Buffy's waist and began to nuzzle her neck. Buffy immediately stiffened, *What is he doing?*

Angel realized he had scared her, "Your dad is watching," he whispered.

She relaxed then, "So maybe he needs a little show?", she whispered back.

"I think so."

Avoiding looking at her father she turned around in Angel's embrace and placed her arms around Angel's neck. Smiling up at him, she then placed a light kiss on his lips. Angel responded by deepening the kiss. Soon neither of them had to pretend that they were doing this for Hank's benefit, it felt so right, so natural.

"Hmmph.." Hank cleared his throat. "I'm sorry to interrupt."

Buffy suddenly remembered what was happening. She had the courtesy to blush as she smiled at her dad, "I'm sorry. I didn't see you there."

Angel turned around to face Hank, his arms still around Buffy's waist. Dawn soon joined him in the doorway, "What's going on?" She asked her dad.

He smiled at her, "I was just thinking what a nice looking couple these two make."

Dawn looked at the pair "Yeah, Angel isn't half bad looking, makes up for poor Buffy." She laughed as Buffy came toward her snapping a dishtowel.

"I guess it's time for me to go. I'll see you next week, girls." Hank kissed each of his daughters and was on his way.

"So, how was the movie?" Buffy asked as she and Angel put the bowls and spoons away. She kept sneaking looks at him trying to figure out if the kiss had affected him as much as it did her.

He finally caught her looking at him and returned her goofy grin with one of his own. He even winked at her over Dawn's head. *Angel winked at me.* Maybe he did enjoy kiss? It didn't really matter did it? Because this was all just for show.

"Not bad. Dad kind of hinted around about me coming to stay with him when school is out. But he didn't push anything."

"Don't worry about it, Dawn. You are going to be safe and sound right here with me this summer. " Buffy gave he sister a hug.

"Promise?" Dawn asked softly.

Angel interrupted, "We promise," and his voice held so much conviction that Buffy believed him.


Angel left Sunday night and the goodbye at the door seemed to take longer then the last time. He silently wished that Hank was there so he could use him as an excuse to kiss Buffy again. He found himself counting the days, the hours until he could come back to Sunnydale. He did his best to convince himself that it was because he was helping Buffy and Dawn.

Buffy and Dawn's routine became more normal, more their own instead of the one that Joyce had planned for them. They still cried at innopportune moments when they would find a stray photo of Joyce or when they found birthday cards for them, that she had bought far in advance and put away. They dealt with calls from Grandma and aunts and uncles. And they talked alot about Joyce and they adjusted to life without her.


Friday night brought a rough patrol and Buffy came home with a bruised arm, thankfully Spike had joined the fray so the damage was minimal. He took her to his crypt and wrapped her arm and tried to pry information out of her about Angel. She, however did not take the bait, kissed his cheek, thanked him for the first aid and made her way home.

Angel was there when she arrived. Dawn was already sleeping and he was alone in the living room, the light from the tv illuminating the room. She smiled as she walked into the room. "What you watching?" She asked as she began to remove her jacket.

"An old movie."

She winced as a pain shot through her sore arm. Angel noticed the look, "You're hurt?" He stood and walked over to where she stood.

"It's nothing."

"Let me see," and as the words left his mouth the memory of the last time he had said those words to her came back. That night it had been a scratch on her back.

"It's really okay, Angel. Spike wrapped it." She told him as she sat down in a chair.

Irrational anger flooded Angel, "Spike?," the name came out harsher then he meant for it to.

"Yes, Spike. Don't worry about that either." She rolled her eyes at him.

"It's just that I don't trust him." Angel replied as he sat down in the other chair.

"He doesn't trust you either. So you are even." Buffy shook her head and grinned,"I don't want to argue about it. I called the goodwill people and they are going to pick up this couch first thing in the morning. So I'm going to bed now. I'll talk to you in the morning." She patted his shoulder as she left the room.

*Spike! I can't believe she let him even touch her much less bandage her arm.* He grumbled inwardly as he went up to bed.


Buffy showered early so she could let the goodwill people in. The truck pulled up and two men came to the door. Buffy let them in and showed them the couch.

"Looks like a nice couch, lady. Are you sure you want to get rid of it?" The older of the two men asked.

She shook her head yes and watched as the two men started to lift the couch. "No!" She suddenly called out, "You aren't supposed to move it."

The men lowered the couch and looked at her, "Miss?" The older man asked.

Angel heard Buffy's panicked "no" upstairs and hurriedly dressed to see what was happening.

The man was staring at a pale Buffy, her hand held over her mouth, her eyes glazed with tears. "Miss, are you okay?"

"She will be. Can you wait just a moment please?" Angel asked the men and they nodded their heads in response. Taking Buffy by the hand Angel led her into the kitchen, "Buffy, what's wrong?"

"They aren't supposed to move it, we aren't supposed to move the body." She mumbled soflty. Fresh tears ran down her face as she sobbed against him.

"The body? Buffy, what are you... oh!" It suddenly hit Angel why she had been so intent on a new couch. "Buffy, did Joyce die on that couch?" He lifted her chin so he could look at her.

She nodded through her sobs. "I'm sorry, baby. I didn't know." He whispered into her hair as he held her tightly.

"I can tell them to leave, we'll cancel the new couch, is that what you want?"

"No, I can't sit on that couch, I can hardly look at it." Her voice hitched as she spoke.

"So you want them to take it?"

"No, well yes, but when I saw them picking it up. It all came back that horrible day just came back to me. Angel, that couch is where my mom took her final breath. It's like it's wrong to get rid of it, it's like sending a part of her away. But I just can't look at it either." She pulled away from him and grabbed a paper towel to blow her nose. "I know, I'm not making sense."

"You are making perfect sense. Your mom would understand, Buffy. I think maybe you should let them take it." Angel smoothed her hair with his large hand, "But it's up to you. What do you want me to tell them?"

She chewed on her bottom lip anxiously for a moment, "Tell them to take it."

"Okay, I'll be right back."

He returned a few minutes later, "It's gone. Are you going to be okay?"

She nodded at him through red rimmed eyes, "I'm okay."

She walked into the living room and stared at the empty space where the sofa had been. She sighed as she thought about one more part of her mother being gone. But then she looked at the lamps and the pictures on the wall and there was Joyce hanging them when they had just moved to Sunnydale and she was smiling and happy. Buffy could live with those memories, couch or no couch,her mother's touch still lived in this house.

"I wish you had told me sooner, Buffy."

"I didn't even really realize it myself, Angel. All I knew was that the couch suddenly revulsed me. I guess I was denying why."

"I think you did the right thing by getting rid of it." He sat down in one of the chairs.

"Me too. But I think you just didn't want that shopping trip to have been wasted." She gave him a small smile.

"That too." He grinned at her.


The new couch was in it's place by the time Hank arrived for dinner that night. Buffy had followed her mom's recipe and made a chicken stir fry. Hank commented on how good it was more then once. He also wanted to talk wedding plans, "Buffy you need to get some estimates for reception halls etc for the wedding, I am the father of the bride so I will be paying for the wedding."

Buffy was a bit surprised by her father's declaration, "Dad, you really dont' have to worry about this now."

"Don't be silly, honey. I want to do this."

Buffy looked across at Angel pleading with her eyes for some help. "What I think she means sir, is that we are going to put off the wedding plans for a little while. It's a bit too soon after Joyce... " Angel cut off his sentence.

"Oh, oh I'm sorry, Buffy. I didn't think. Of course it's too soon." Hank quickly backpedaled.

*As if you would have ever thought of that.* Angel's fist's were clenched under the table.

"I'm having Dawn's room repainted at my place for this summer." Hank changed the subject.

"Dad, you don't really have to do that." Dawn sighed.

"Dawn, you know this trial period is until school is out."

"But daddy, what if the trial works out? I can stay here right?"

"We'll see. So far I do admit your sister is doing a good job of taking care of you."

Buffy smiled at Dawn, "It's going to work out, don't worry."

"Well, I hope it does. But I can't make promises." Hank told them as he stood up from the table, "I hate to eat and run, but I really must get back."

"It's okay," Buffy told him as she stood and the others followed.

Hank kissed Dawn on the cheek, "Be good, sweetie. Buffy you take care of yourself and your sister." He hugged his oldest daughter and he was gone.

"He didn't stay long." Angel commented as the three did the dishes.

"No, he didn't. It's probably a good sign, he's getting bored already of playing dad." Buffy sighed as she let out the dishwater.

Dawn nodded her head in agreement, "Yeah he used to come alot when we first moved here, then the visits got fewer and fewer."

"I'm sorry." Angel said sincerely.

"We're used to it." Dawn said calmly as the phone rang. She answered it, "Hey, Cordy. Yeah, he's here. Okay." She handed the phone to Angel, "It's for you."

Angel took the phone, "Hello. Yes. Are you sure you can't handle this? Okay, okay, I'll be there in a couple of hours." He hung up the phone.

"Trouble?" Buffy asked with concern.

"I'm afraid so. I'm going to have to leave now instead of tomorrow. I'm sorry."

"Don't be, Angel. I mean it's kind of you to be helping us with this, but you do have a business to run. We'll see you next week." Buffy smiled at him.

"Yeah, I'll be back." He said wistfully part of him wishing that he never had to leave.

Buffy brought him a small pile of clothes, "These are yours, you left a few things on your past visits."

He took the clothes and put them in his bag. Dawn watched from the bedroom door. The looked so natural together. It was as if Buffy was the wife helping her husband pack for a business trip. She wished there was a way that they could really be together, even she could see that they completed each other.


The next few weekends passed by smoothly. Angel arrived on Friday night and helped get ready for Hank's Saturday visit. It all seemed quite natural, Buffy and Dawn both looked forward to Angel's coming and didn't seem to mind the Hank visits as much now.

Angel pullled glasses from the cabinet and Buffy emptied the ice cubes into them. "Do you think this is going to backfire?" Buffy asked worriedly.

"No, I think everyone will work hard to make it work. Although why Spike has to be her is still a mystery to me."

Buffy gave the dark vampire a small smile. "Spike is my friend too, Angel."

"Hmmph." He reached for the paper plates.

Hank had suggested a pizza party of sorts for Buffy and Dawn's friends, he wanted to meet the people his girls spent time with.

The pizza arrived and Angel took the pizza to the kitchen. Buffy arranged it on the counter top and she and Angel served the guests as they came through the kitchen. Buffy cringed a bit as she listened to Xander and Hank's conversation.

"So, Xander will you be the best man?" Hank asked as he pointed at the sausage and mushroom pizza.

Xander smiled brightly, "Oh no, not me. I'm just an usher. I think Spike is the best man. He and Angel go *way* back."

Buffy glared at him as she placed his pizza on his plate. Angel gave him a look too.

"Spike?" Hank looked around the room.

"It's a nickname sir. His name is William." Angel poured Hank's soda in his cup.

"Oh, and you've been friends a long time." Hank smiled.

"You could say forever." Xander added with another smile.

Buffy shook her head at him as she served the next person. When everyone had food and drink. Buffy and Angel joined the guests. They played host well, Angel making sure everyone's drink was full while Buffy brought out more pizza.

"They work well together, don't they? Do you think he will make my little girl happy?" Hank asked the blond man standing next to him.

"He better." Spike answered without a smile.

"I'm Hank Summers," Hank offered his hand.

Spike accepted the handshake, "I'm Spike."

"Oh, you're Angels friend the best man."

Spike gave a short laugh, "Yes, thats me the *best* man. So Angel told you about me?"

"No, Xander did." Hank sat down on the new couch."Do you work with Angel?"

"We've worked together but it was a long time ago. What do you do in LA?" Spike asked changing the subject as Buffy came to sit between them a worried look in her eye.

"What are you two discussing?" Buffy asked as she sat down.

"Your dad is telling me about his job, pet."

Buffy sat in silent wonder as she listened to her dad go on about his job and Spike!, yes Spike sat patiently listening. She patted Spike's arm in a silent thank you as she stood to check on Dawn.

"This one is really good." Dawn was telling a dark haired boy named Kevin Burman. She had shyly introduced him to Buffy earlier. "You can put on a cd if you want. People might want to dance." Buffy smiled as she walked away, Kevin asked the younger girl to dance.

Angel watched the guests interacting and smiled. He had talked to everyone even Spike and he was watching Dawn dance with a boy in the corner. Anya had wrapped her arms around Xander and they were swaying to the music.

"This is quite nice isn't it?" Giles voice startled him.

"Yes it is. Everyone is being so supportive of Buffy and Dawn."

Giles looked serious, "Angel I would like to thank you for your help during this situation. I had my doubts that you could help when I asked you to stay, but now I'm sure I made the right decision."

"I would do anything for Buffy, Giles. And it's been good for me too. Things have been rough lately." He admitted softly.

"Well... uh... I talked to Wesley about that. I would like to know more about way that Darla was revived. But to be perfectly honest, I don't think that Buffy needs to know about this now."

"I agree." Angel said solemnly wondering just how much Wesley had told Giles.

"I must be going, I'm expecting a phone call from Olivia tonight." Giles went to find Buffy.

"Tell her I said hello." Buffy gave Giles a small hug as she left.

"You want to dance, cutie?" Spike grabbed Buffy's hand and grinned at her.

"Sure." she smiled as she put her arms around his waist and they swayed to the music. Spike grinned at an frowning Angel over her head.

"May I cut in?" Angel's voice was suddenly behind her and Buffy swore it was tight with ... anger, jealousy?

"Of course, mate." Spike placed Buffy's hand in Angel's when he saw Hank watching them.

"Red, you want to dance?" He asked Willow as he watched Angel pull Buffy possesively close.

"They still look like they belong, don't they?" Willow asked worriedly.

"Yeah, they do. But they know this is a game, right?" He looked down at Willow and the look in her eyes did not ease his worry.

"I was just dancing with him." Buffy looked into Angel's stormy eyes.

"I know but it made me think of another dance, you remember the dance? You and Xander - I refer to it as you mating dance?" He placed a small kiss on the top of her head.

"You aren't ever going to let me forget that are you? And I was in no way dancing like that with Spike."

"I just wanted to make sure it didn't go that far." He looked into her eyes, "I don't think ripping Spike in two would impress your father."

"Oh my, a jealous fiancee'. That goes two ways, how do I know who you are consorting with in LA?" She teased him and giggled.

Her words hit him hard and he was guiet for a moment, "Angel are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just getting tired I guess." He held her close as the music died.

The guests soon began leaving. Hank waited until everyone was gone.

"I enjoyed this girls. You have warm supportive friends. I can understand why you want to stay Dawn." He hugged them and made plans for the next weekend.

Dawn began to pick up napkins and glasses while stifling a yawn. "Go on to bed, sweetie. I'll do the clean up." Buffy smiled at her sister.

"You sure."

"Yes, go have dreams of Kevin."

Dawn grinned shyly as she said goodnight and went upstairs.

"Let me help," soon she and Angel had the place straight again.

They spent the next day in front of the tv watchng movies and eating popcorn. Sunday evening came to quickly and Angel was on his way back to LA. He could get used to spending these quiet days with Buffy and Dawn. In fact his life was becoming more and more about them and it felt right. He knew nothing had really changed for them but it felt so right. Shaking his head he chastised himself for even thinking that he could have a normal life.


"Okay, here she is, Buffy it's for you." Dawn handed her the phone.

"Hello. Cordelia? Is Angel okay, he's usually here by now?"

Cordelia sounded impatient, "Thats why I'm calling he'll be a bit late, we got busy."

"Oh, okay. Thanks Cordy."

"Your welcome and I want to thank you too." Cordelia paused a moment.

"For what?" Buffy asked curiously.

"For helping Angel, you know after this whole Darla is back mess and then his sleeping with her, I thought that Sunnydale was the very last place he needed to be and no offense but especially with you in Sunnydale.But he seems better now." Cordelia blurted out the news without giving Buffy time to speak.

"Darla?" Buffy finally asked when she found her bearings."Cordelia please tell me everything?"

"You didn't know?" Cordelia asked in a very small voice. "I'm sorry maybe you should ask Angel?"

"No, I don't want to upset him. You tell me." Buffy bit her bottom lip until it bled.

"Yeah, Wolfram and Hart brought her back... ya ya ya." Cordelia's voice seemed to drone as she explained the story to Buffy.

"And he slept with her? But he still has his soul?" Buffy asked over the large lump in her throat.

"Well yeah, we dont' know all the details. Buffy, please don't be angry at he is just now coming back to us." Cordelia pleaded with her.

"I won't say anything. Thanks Cordelia. Bye." She hung up the phone and promptly threw up in the kitchen trash can. *Angel, Darla? NO!* The thought of him with Darla made her physically ill, it hurt like someone had kicked her hard in the stomach.

Dawn heard the retching noises and ran to the kitchen. She found Buffy leaning over the trash can. "Buffy, are you okay?" She rushed to her sister's side patting her back.

"Something I ate didn't agree with me." Buffy made up the excuse quickly, "I'm going to lie down."

"Do you need anything? Angel will be here soon right?"

Oh, he was coming. He would be her anytime now, Buffy felt the sweat bead up on her forehead as another bout of nausea hit her. She could not, would not face him tonight. "Tell him I'm sleeping. I'm sick." She ran out of the kitchen and barely made it to the bathroom before she threw up again.

Buffy was washing her face with a cold washcloth when the phone rang again. Buffy listened to it ringing and was relieved when Dawn answered it. She made her way to her room and slipped into her bed.

Images of Darla crept into her mind, Darla at the Bronze, Darla with guns, her suprised "Angel?" after he staked her. Staked his sire for her. And now she was back and Angel had brought a whole new meaning to the word staked this time. Buffy let out a bitter laugh.

"Buffy, that was dad." Dawn appeared in the bedroom doorway, "He can't come tomorrow an emergency meeting of some sort."

"Oh, well thats okay. It will give us a break."

"So what about Angel? He'll be here soon."

"Tell him he can go back home, we dont' need him this weekend." Buffy sighed as she buried her head in the pillow. We don't need him, I don't need him, he can go back to his little bimbo. I was so stupid to think that... nothings changed Buffy... you and Angel can't be together. She began to cry softly into the pillow.


Dawn yawned as she stood to answer the door. "Angel. I'm sorry we couldn't get hold of you before you left."

Angel walked in to the house, "Is somethng wrong?"

"Dad cant' come this weekend. Oh and Buffy is sick. She was tossing her cookies earlier. Pretty gross." Dawn made a face. "So you can stay tonight or go back to LA."

"Buffy's sick?" He asked the concern showing on his face.

"Yeah, she is upstairs sleeping. I think I'm gonna go to bed too." Dawn yawned again.

"I think I'll stay if you don't mind. She might need me." Angel followed Dawn up the stairs.

"Good, cause I don't want to clean up puke - eww."

Angel smiled at the girl as she went into her bedroom. He placed his bag in Joyce's room and guietly crossed the hall to Buffy's room. She appeared to sleeping as he sat down in the chair by her bed. He reached over and placed his hand lightly on her forehead she was no warmer then usual so she didn't have a fever. He settled in the chair and closed his eyes trying to get his large frame comfortable in the small chair. He wanted to be close if she woke up sick.

* Buffy dreamed...

He was there with her, she could feel his cool hand on her back. He was guiding her away from everyone, suddenly they were alone and his lips were all over her face. With closed eyes,she arched her body against his as her small hands roamed over his back and into his dark hair. "I love you, Angel" She murmured against his lips.

"I love you too, Darla." Her eyes opened as she pushed him away from her.

"Darla?" She screamed the name at him.

"Buffy, I'm sorry so sorry... " He grabbed for her as she turned to run from him only to be stopped by a smal blond.

"Take it like a man, Buffy. It's me, it's always been me." Darla's high pitch giggle hurt her ears as she ran farther and farther away.


Buffy woke up startled by the dream, she quickly noticed Angel beside her bed. He was stirring, she tried to close her eyes and pretend to sleep but he was too quick for her. "Hey you okay? Are you going to be sick?" His voice was soft and concerned.

Buffy looked at him and closed her eyes, visions of those dark eyes looking lustfully at Darla filled her mind. She opened her eyes quickly, "No, I"m fine. Why are you here?"

"It's Friday I'm always here on Fridays."

"But dad isn't coming tomorrow. You could have gone back to LA."

You should have gone back to LA she thought bitterly.

"You're sick. I thought you might need me." He pushed a stray hair from her face.

"No, I don't need you. I'm okay now." The words came out harshly and she sighed when she saw the confused look on his face.

Angel stood up, "Are you okay, Buffy? Did something happen?"

"I'm fine, Angel. And yes something happened - my mom died remember?"

"I'm sorry, Buffy. I should have realized you are still grieving." He said smiling warmly his voice full of understanding.

Don't you dare smile at me like that, don't be so damned understanding. Not when I know what you did, know * who* you did. She rolled over and faced the wall, "I just want to sleep now, please."

"Okay." She didn't bother to turn around as she heard him close her door.


Buffy slept in late. Angel peeked his head into her room to check on her. She had curtly dismissed him. "I'm going to go through some stuff and clean out my dresser. Since dad isn't coming. Why don't you call Giles, he mentioned going over some books with you."

Angel sighed he wished he knew what to do to help her through this grief. He was sure it was normal to have good days and bad days after losing someone as important as your mother. But he had a nagging feeling that there was more wrong with Buffy then a grief induced bad mood. He took her up on her suggestion and called Giles. He arrived shortly and soon the dining table was covered with books, the two men intently studying the volumes.

Dawn sat curled on the new couch watching tv and Buffy stayed upstairs sorting through the "junk" drawer of her dresser. She would do anything to keep her mind off of Angel and Darla.

She found a packet of pictures and sat down crosslegged on her bed to look at them. A soft smile crossed her face as she looked at the pictures, they were of a picnic on the beach. Riley's windblown hair and wide smile greeted her in the first picture. She ran a fingertip over his face, she missed Riley. But she had accepted that maybe he was where he needed to be. Being involved with her was defintitley no picnic. She wished the best for him. She lay the picture on her dresser on top of the others. She needed to put these in an album, good memories should be preserved. Riley was so special, he would have never slept with Darla. No, no that was wrong. Instead he left her bed to let vampire whores suck his blood.

Buffy shuddered at the thought. Maybe it wasn't the men in her life, maybe it was her? Maybe there was something about her that made men leave. First Angel, now Riley. Angel had come back though. And he tried to be there for her, but now she wondered why? He SLEPT with Darla, why was he here? She would find a way to let him off the hook - surely he would rather be in LA. It was just like Angel to feel responsible for her. Well she would find a way to keep Dawn without his help. Meanwhile she was a big girl she could handle this. She made her way downstairs to face him.

"Hey, you finsished your cleaning?" Angel looked up from his book and smiled.

"Yeah, now I think I'll do some shopping. We need milk."

"How are you, Buffy?" Giles interrupted as he pushed his book away.

"I'm fine. I do need to get those groceries though. You two enjoy your books." She smiled as she left the room, "Dawn , you want to go with me?"

"Sure, we need some other stuff too."

"Okay, but we aren't just buying chips and snack cakes this time."


"Oh, Giles, I'd almost forgotten. I brought a book to you. Wesley found it in an antique store and he thought you might know about it. Let me go get it."

"Thank you, Angel. I think I'll take a break and get something to drink."

Angel walked upstairs and retreived the book from his bag. He peeked into Buffy's room, it did look a bit neater. His eye fell on the photos on her dresser. He stepped all the way into the room and picked up the packet. Riley Finn's face smiled up at him. He frowned slightly as he thumbed through the pics, Riley and Buffy on the beach. In each others arms, in the sunshine. He sighed as he put the photos back where he had found them. She looked so happy, so normal. Maybe thats what her problem was maybe she really did miss Riley. He had been so wrapped up in being her with her, in the naturalness of it that he had forgotten. It wasn't natural, he would never be a natural choice for her. Where as Riley Finn could offer he all the things she needed.

"Here is your book, Giles."

"Thank you, I believe I should go now. I have things to do at the shop. Angel?" Giles asked as he gathered up books.

"Yes."

"Do you really think she is coping?" Giles looked concerned.

"I think she has good days and bad. But I think she'll be okay. I think it would have been good if Riley had stuck around."

"I'm not sure about that, Angel. The terms he left on were... well it's not my place to explain all of that. I think Riley is a decent man though and he did love her."

"That's good to know. I mean the part about him loving her." Angel said softly as he walked Giles to the door.

"Well... um..yes. Goodbye, Angel."

Angel closed the door behind the watcher. He had a lot to think about. When he had impulsively told Hank they were engaged he hadn't thought about how it could affect Buffy. He sighed as he wondered why he always managed to hurt her.

Buffy and Dawn returned from shopping several hours later. They were giggling as they entered the house their arms full of bags. He loved the sound of Buffy's giggle and right now he needed to hear it.

He took the heaviest of the grocery bags from Dawn and followed them into the ktichen. "Looks like you hit more stores then grocery." He nodded at the clothing store bags sitting on the island. "Yeah, Buffy let me get this cool top." Dawn said excitedly as she pulled it from the bag and showed him.

"Kevin will like that." He grinned at the girl as she blushed.

"Did you get anything?" He turned to Buffy.

"She did, this cool little black dress it's gonna look really good on her." Dawn answered for her sister.

Buffy grinned at her sister, "Why don't you take this stuff upstairs?"

Dawn grabbed the bags and left Buffy and Angel in the kitchen.

Buffy busied herself putting away the groceries.

"I bet it will." Angel's voice sounded behind her as she stood in front of the refrigerator.

"You bet it will what?" She asked as she put away the lettuce and the milk.

"The dress, I bet it will good great on you."

"Oh, well... maybe." She continued to put away the groceries.

Angel placed a hand on her arm and turned her to face him, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine just tired I guess from being sick last night." She moved away from him breaking contact.

"You seem quiet." He probed waiting for an explanation.

"I'm fine, Angel. So I guess you'll be leaving as soon as it gets dark?"

"Yeah, I guess so." He paused and then asked again, "You would tell me if I had done something right?"

"Yeah, of course." She muttered as she folded up the last grocery bag.

Buffy and Dawn had a light supper and sat with Angel in the living room until it was dark. He gathered his things and got ready to leave. Dawn gave him a hug at the door while Buffy hung back and just gave a short "goodbye."

He wanted to take hug her and never let her go, but he respected the fact that for whatever reason she needed some space so with a soft goodbye he left the Summers house.


Buffy forced herself to concentrate on anything but Angel She and Dawn went to school and at night studied together. She patroled nightly leaving Dawn in the care of Willow, Xander or even Spike occasionally.

It was easy to pretend she didn't have a clue about Angel and Darla. Very easy until Friday rolled around and she knew he would be coming. She made a quick patrol which turned up nothing then a quick change into her new black dress and she was off to the Bronze. She needed to relax before she faced Angel.

The Bronze was busy and Buffy was soon the center of attention. Her new dress fit tight and her blonde hair moved wildly as she danced with several men. One in particular caught her eye, he was very tall and well built. Sandy haired, great arms and a pair of dog tags hanging around his neck. She made eye contact with him and suddenly he was there beside her offering her a dance and then a drink. She knew she shouldn't but what could one beer hurt? Then another dance and another drink. His name was Shane and he was in the army. He danced well and seemed to be very well mannered.


Angel arrived at the Summers house to find Dawn and her friend Melinda leaving with a handful of cd's. "Hey, Angel. I forgot these, I'm spending the night at Melinda's tonight."

"Okay, where is your sister?"

"Oh, I thought maybe she told you. She's trying out that new dress tonight, I guess she is meeting everyone at the Bronze." Dawn told him as she locked the door.

"I'll find her there then."

* Angel pulled into a parking space outside the Bronze and sat for a minute it seemed like a lifetime since he had been in this place.

It hadn't changed a whole lot in the past couple of years. He looked around for the Scooby gang but didn't find any of them. His eyes however did fall on the luscious blond in the black dress who was dancing furiously with a tall guy, a guy who bore a striking resemblance to one Riley Finn. He watched as the music stopped and Buffy followed the guy back to the table. His fists clenched as he watched the man pour her a glass of beer from a pitcher.

He stomped to the table, "Buffy?"

She looked up at him her eyes wide. "Angel." She replied calmly.

"What are you doing? And why are you drinking?" He demanded as Shane stood up defensively.

"I think thats my business, Angel." She replied curtly as she took a sip of her beer.

"Who is this guy, Buffy?" Shane asked as he stared hard at Angel.

"An ex. Don't worry about it." Buffy looked at Angel, "I'll talk to you later."

"I think you should come with me now." Angel leaned forward to touch her arm.

"The lady said no, you should go now." Shane replied threateningly.

Angel stared from Buffy who was staring into her glass back to Shane who looked ready for a fight. "Fine, we'll talk later." He left her at the table and blended into the background watching her with an eagle eye.

Thirty minutes later Buffy and Shane stood to leave the Bronze. "Want to take a ride in my convertible? It's a pretty night."

"Sure." Buffy agreed, he had been a perfect gentleman so far and it wasn't like she couldn't handle him if he wasnt'.

He led her to his car and opened the door for her, Angel followed them at a a safe distance. His anger building with every mile down the road. Shane turned off on a side road and parked the car in a clearing that overlooked the town.

Angel turned off his lights and parked his car following on foot until he found a tree to stand behind. He watched as Shane moved his arm around Buffy and softly kissed her lips. She returned the soft kiss.

"This is nice." Shane said as he broke their kiss.

"It is." Buffy agreed trying to concentrate on the man sitting beside her and not on the angry vampire who would be waiting for her tonight.

Shane kissed her again. She returned the kiss again, maybe she needed to forget everything for awhile.

The kisses deepened and Shane placed his hand on her chest dipping his fingers into her cleavage. Buffy seemed to snap back to reality at this invasion.

"No, what are you doing?" She pulled away from Shane.

"Listen, you danced with me, you drank with me you even came up here with me, I think you know what I'm doing." He reached for her again.

She pushed him away again, "No!"

Angel watched as Buffy pushed him away the second time, he slipped from behind the tree and walked towards the car. He stopped however when Buffy opened the car door and got out. "I said no, and I meant it."

"Then you shouldn't be such a tease. Hell you had every man in there wanting you." Shane started the car and backed out leaving her standing alone.

Angel stopped and went behind the tree again. He watched at Buffy wiped her mouth with the back of her hand. He saw the anger on her face as she started walking. He thought about going to her but decided she needed the time alone. He was sure he knew what was wrong now, she wanted Riley Finn. The guy favored him right down to the dogtags. This guy had been a substitute for Riley, just like he had been a substitute.

Angel discreetly followed Buffy all the way home. He parked the car outside and gave her a few minutes alone. He knew what he had to do now, he had to find Riley. If Riley made her happy, then that was all that mattered.


Angel walked up to the door and knocked. He almost dreaded seeing Buffy, part of him wanted to just grab her and shake some sense into her while another part still wanted to hold her and never let her go.He admitted to himself that he still wanted to be the one to take care of her. How do you go about finding out if the love of your life is missing, wanting somebody else?

Buffy heard the car drive up and readied herself for battle. Angel could be a worthy adversary in both a physical or verbal battle. She had to be ready to defend herself against him. She wished she could just forget Cordelia's words, ignorance was most definitley bliss for she and Angel. Bliss - she sighed, no bliss for she and Angel - never.

He let himself in with the key that Buffy had given him a few weeks back. "Buffy?" He called softly.

"In here." She called to him from the living room. She was curled up under a afghan on the couch. She looked vulnerable in the soft lamplight.

"We need to talk." He said simply as he sat down next to her.

"Why?" She didn't want to antagonize him, yet she couldn't seem to help herself.

"You know why?" Sighing he reached for her hand.

She pulled her hand back quickly and tucked it under the afghan. "We need to talk because you say so? Angel it's very nice that you have been here to help me and to try to pull this whole thing off with my dad. But I'm sure you really need to be in LA on the weekends more then you do here. So as soon as I can figure out a way to pacify my dad that doesn't include you. We can stop this whole stupid charade."

Even as she listened to the hard words come from her mouth a voice inside her head cried out, tell him - just tell him you know, tell him you still love him, make him explain about Darla. She ignored the voice and sighed.

"Buffy, it's not a problem for me to be here. I want to be here, I want to help." He couldn't hide the hurt in his voice and Buffy noted the despair on his face. "Buffy, that guy at the Bronze... "

Buffy cut him off, "Shane, he was a very nice guy, we danced, had some beers and went for a ride. No harm done, Angel. I just needed to get away from everything. And it's not like I'm really engaged!" The last words came out sharper then she intended.

"Yes, I know you aren't really engaged." His voice was tense as he stood up and began pacing, "Buffy he favored Riley, surely you noticed. Do you miss Riley, Buffy?"

"Well, of course I miss him, Angel. He is a nice guy. But there are lots of nice guys in the world, Angel. Shane showed me a real *good* time last night" Buffy purred seductively. Let him think she slept with him. She was her own woman she didn't have to answer to him or any man. And what did Riley have to do with any of this? He was another ex, another guy who left. Shane just happened to look a bit like him.

Angel frowned at her, "So you slept with Shane?" His eyes bored into her. He knew the answer but he wanted to know how far she would take this game.

"What if I did? I"m a big girl now, Angel. I can sleep with who I want." She spit the words at him before she lowered her gaze away from his probing eyes.

"Are you going to see him again?" He asked his tone dead serious.

"I don't know." She still did not raise her eyes to him.

"So you've decided one night stands are the way to go then?" He regretted the words as soon as he said them, even before he felt the sting of her hand on his cheek.

She was angry now and he could see it in her eyes, in her posture, it radiated from her entire body, "Just what kind of person do you think I am?"

"I think you're tired and confused. And you know what Buffy, I don't think you slept with Shane. I'm trying to figure out why you wanted me to think so. I think you were trying to replace Riley ? If he came back from wherever the hell he went would you take him back?" He placed a strong hand on her arm, "Would you?"

Say no! Please say no, the voice in his head screamed.

The question surprised her, "That's really none of you business is it?" She pulled away from his grasp. She wouldn't give him the satisfaction of an answer. No, Angel, I loved Riley but I'm not in love with him. She wanted to say the words but stubbornly she kept her mouth shut.

"No, I guess it's not. But I want to to help and I think maybe you have some Riley issues."

"Riley issues? Have you been reading Modern Psychology? I probably have issues with all of my exes. How about you, Angel? Do you have issues with some of your exes, say like Darla?" She measured out her words carefully watching for his reaction.

He lowered his eyes for a moment and started to pace again, "This isn't about me, Buffy. It's about you. You have to get your act totally together so you can keep Dawn. I'm trying to help." For an instant he almost confessed to her about the whole Darla situation. But shame made him keep his tongue.

She stared intently at hoping that maybe he would tell her about Darla, maybe he could explain. He looked as if he were going to say more and then thought better of it.

"I'm going to bed. We have dinner with daddy dearest tomorrow night. Do you think we can be civil?" She stood up and folded the afghan.

"Buffy... please tell me what to do? How can I help?" He pleaded with her as he followed her up the stairs.

She stopped at the top fo the stairs and turned to face him, "You can't Angel, this time you can't."

He watched as she walked into the room and closed the door


Dawn came home the next afternoon to a quiet house. Buffy was trying a new lasagna recipe and Angel was vacuuming the living room. He waved at her as he turned off the vacuum. "Hey, you have a good time at Melinda's?"

"It was okay, we listened to cd's and stuff. Did you have fun at the Bronze? Buffy looked great in that dress didn't she?" Dawn chattered happily.

"The Bronze... well. Yeah, Buffy looked great in that dress." He smiled at her as he put away the vacuum.

"Did you two dance?"

"No, we didn't get to." Angel followed Dawn into the kitchen, "Maybe next time."

"Maybe next time what?" Buffy pulled the hot pan of lasagna from the oven.

Dawn pulled out a bar stool and sat down, "Maybe next time you and Angel can dance at the Bronze."

"Oh, well. Maybe."

"Do you want to set the table? Dad will be here any minute."

"Sure." Dawn began to take the dishes from the cabinet.

"Can I help?" Angel asked soflty.

"Salad. You can make the salad." Buffy pushed the lettuce towards him.

"Buffy you can't ignore me all night. Your dad will notice." Angel began to chop the lettuce.

"I'm sure he won't he really doesn't notice that much. Don't worry about it , I'll be my charming self when he gets here." She placed the garlic bread in the oven as the door bell rang.

"I'll get it." Dawn called from the dining room.

"Hey, punkin belly." Hank hugged his youngest daughter.

"Hey, Buffy made lasagna. Pretend its's good even if it isn't okay?" She whispered as they made their way to the kitchen.

"Okay." Hank whispered back with a grin. "Buffy, Dawn says you cooked lasagna."

"Yes, I hope it's good." She smiled at her dad.

"I 'm sure it will be." He turned to Angel, "Angel, how are you?"

"I'm good. How are you Mr. Summers?" Angel shook Hank's hand.

"Call me Hank. We'll be family soon."

Buffy inwardly sighed at the words.

"Hank... how are you?"

"I'm good. Working very hard. Busy time."

"Bread's done. Let's eat." Buffy pulled the bread from the oven.

Dinner was quiet save for Dawn's chatter. Hank took notice of the fact that Buffy was quiet. "Buffy, you alright? You've been quiet all night."

"Just tired dad. I'm okay. I think I'll clear these dishes. Dawn you can stay out here with dad and Angel."

Angel stood up, "I'll help."

"You don't have too." Buffy quickly replied.

Hank watched the couple with interest as they left the dining room. "Dawn, is everything okay with Buffy and Angel?"

"I guess, as far as I know. Buffy just gets in these weird moods sometimes."

"I mean they are still engaged?"

"Oh yeah. Their still getting married. Buffy was sick last week and she's still getting over it." She covered quickly.

"Okay. I just want to make sure. You want to go get some ice cream?"

"Yes, that sounds good." Dawn went to grab her coat.


Angel dried the dishes carefully as Buffy finished washing and rinsing them. The whole process had been done in complete silence. "Are you going to talk to me ever again?" He asked as he put away the last dish.

"What do you want to talk about?" She turned and faced him frowning.

"What is bugging you would be a good topic. Or Riley, or anything?"

"Nothing is bugging me, I'm not talking about Riley to you and anything - oh yeah are you going home tonight?"

"Buffy, what is wrong?" Angel asked ignoring her last question. "I saw the pictures of Riley on your dresser."

"It wasn't you place to be looking at those Angel." She replied bitterness apparent in her voice.

Hank listened at the door a moment before entering the kitchen.

"You two okay?" He asked cautiously.

Buffy shook her head, "We're fine."

"Okay, I'm taking Dawn for ice cream. Do you want to go along?"

"No, Angel is leaving early so I think I'll pass." Buffy gave him a halfhearted smile.

"Alright, I'll have her back soon. It was good to see you Angel." Hank shook Angel's hand.

"Yes sir. It was good to see you too." Angel replied unenthusiastically.

Hank and Dawn left for ice cream as Angel went to get his bag. He decided it was better to leave now and save him from arguing futher with Buffy. She looked up from her magazine as he came down the stairs. She bit her bottom lip as she noticed the bag. "So you are really going tonight then?"

"I think it's for the best. Don't you?" He asked her hoping for a sign that she wanted him to stay. Come on Buffy a sign that you want me here, a sign that you still want me.

"Yeah, it probably is. Hey if you don't want to come next week. I can think of an excuse for dad." She continued to chew on her bottom lip.

"No, I'll be here. I'll see you Friday."

She listened to the door close behind him and when she was sure he was gone, she let herself cry one more time. She wasn't sure who the tears were for this time, her mother, herself, Angel?


"One black walnut single dip and one mint chocolate chip double dip." Hank ordered the cones and handed one to Dawn. He led her to a small table. "So sweetie, who is Riley?"

Dawn looked surprised, "Why?"

"I heard Buffy and Angel talking about him, Angel didn't seem happy." Hank watched Dawn's face.

"He's just an old boyfriend of Buffy's. I'm sure it was nothing." Dawn licked her cone and tried not to look as worried as she felt.


"We're back!" Dawn called as she hung her jacket up.

"I've got to go sweetie." Hank gave Dawn a hug as Buffy entered the foyer.

"I'm on my way back, Buffy," He leaned forward and kissed Buffy's cheek, "Are you and Angel okay? There was some tension here tonight." Hank spoke seriously.

"We're okay, daddy. Normal fiance' stuff, nerves. Don't worry." Buffy put an arm around Dawn. "It's all good."

"I do worry though and if caring for Dawn is adding stress, she can finish school out in LA."

"No!" Dawn and Buffy spoke in unison.

"Really dad, it's okay. You have a safe trip." Buffy closed the door behind him and leaned against it.

"Buffy is it really okay? With you and Angel, I thought everything was going good and then it changed."

Buffy pushed Dawn's hair from her face and faked a smile, "It's going to be okay, Dawn. I promise."

"Yeah, you and Angel both promised." Dawn yawned once and turned to go upstairs,"Goodnight."

"Night." Buffy replied absently. "We did promise didn't we?" She said the words softly into the empty room.

* It was late when Angel arrived back in LA. He ignored the hour and drove to Wesley's apartment anyway. He wanted to discuss an idea in private with the ex watcher.

"Yes." Wesley groggily answered the door, "Angel, it's you, come in."

"I'm sorry it's so late but I have to talk to you about something. Something important, it affects Buffy."

"Sit down, tea?" Wesley asked as he turned on the fire under the kettle. "Is Buffy okay, despite the cirucumstances I mean."

"No, everytime I think she's okay. She does something self destructive again. But I think I may have the answer. I found some pictures of Riley on her desk, and she won't talk about why he left her and the other night she was at the Bronze dancing with a guy who favored Riley. I think she wants him back." Angel sighed as he sat down across from Wesley at the small kitchen table.

"Angel, that's really not a lot to go on. I mean the pictures could have just been found and she had them out, she may find it uncomfortable to talk to you about an ex boyfriend and it could be a coincidence that a guy she danced with favored Riley." Wesley sipped his tea.

"I think it means something. So I am going to hire someone to find Finn and bring him back to Buffy."

"Really? Are you sure that's a good idea?" Wesley took in the look of abject misery on Angel's face.

Angel shook his head, "Yeah, if he is the one she wants. Then he is the one she'll have."

"Angel, I hate to bring this up but it's not like you and Buffy have always had clear lines of communication. I think perhaps you should find out a bit more before you bring Riley back." Wesley thought of conversations with Giles - talks where they had both discussed the relationship between Angel and Buffy . Obviously the two were still deeply in love despite everything. Wesley made a mental note to call Giles later he had an idea. Maybe he and Giles could offer some long overdue help in this situation.

"No, I've made up my mind. I know a guy who is an excellent tracker. I'm putting him on the job tomorrow." Angel stood up, "Thanks, Wesley."

"For what? You didn't actually listen to me." Wesley gave a Angel a small smile.

"But you listened to me." Angel patted Wesley's back as he went to let himself out.


Buffy lay her books on the table and spread out her notes. She had to study for Western Civ test. At the rate she was going she would be lucky to pass any of her classes. It was Wednesday which added to her apprehension. Friday night, Angel would be back and she wasn't sure she could face him again. And from what Dawn had told her, Hank was getting worried that she and Angel weren't on good terms. And on top of everything Giles had gone out of town suddenly today and would not be back until Friday.

She stood and went to the kitchen to get some tylenol and water, she seemed to keep a tension headache lately. It was no surprise. "Buffy, can you help me with this math?" Dawn called from the living room.

"I'm coming," she swallowed the tablets and pasted a smile on her face. After an hour they had the math figured out and Dawn went upstairs to get ready for bed. Buffy went back to her Western Civ work.


"So you are going to Sunnydale again, next week?" Cordelia complained as she painted her fingernails.

"Yes, Cordelia." Angel shook his head, "I'll go as long as she needs me."

"And how long is that going to be? You have a job here you know?"

"Maybe not much longer." Angel sighed as he listened to Cordelia continue to complain.

He was grateful for the ringing phone and quickly answered it. "Yes... you have? Hold on a minute please." Angel looked up at Cordelia, "This is private."

Cordelias gathered her things and glared at him as she left the room. "Private, la ti da," she muttered under her breath.

"You found Riley Finn? Is he going to come? Did you tell him the story I gave you? It's been good doing business with you when you come to town, come by the office, I'll pay you." Angel hung up the phone and leaned back in his chair. He had to get to Riley on Friday night before he got to Buffy. He had to make sure that Riley understood she needed him. A small voice kept nagging him, I wish it were me, I wish it were me that she needed.


Wesley continued to study the books that Giles had suggested. They were on a mission to help two people dear to them.

Giles was sitting across from him on the phone. "Yes, I realize we were even after our last encounter, but I have yet another favor to ask? Yes, but this is for the sake of two people in love. Just like your wife and yourself. You'll try to find a spell for me? Yes, thank you and I promise this is the last time." Giles hung up the phone and turned to Wesley, "He's going to help if anyone can maybe he can." He had contacted his *friend* who had helped fool Faith into thinking that Angelus was back.

"I still can't believe your friend has a phone?" Wesley shook his head then added, "I have to ask, Rupert, why did you agree to help me?" Wesley filled the tea cups on the table.

"Because, I've seen Angel work miracles with Buffy. She loves him and for some reason they seem to need each other to be complete. I've not admitted that to anyone before." Giles pulled off his glasses and began to clean them.

"I have to agree with you despite my reservations, I think they are better and stronger together then apart. Poor Angel though he thinks that Buffy is pining for Riley."

"He does? Why?" Giles put his glasses back on, "Riley was a fine man, but I think we know who Buffy's heart belongs too."

"Well Angel has decided he needs to find him and bring him back to Buffy. I don't think he has much of a chance and if we succeed it won't matter." Wesley smiled as he took a sip of this tea.

"He wants to find Riley to make Buffy happy? How very noble of him." Giles pulled a book from the stack. "Let's see if we can help him."


Buffy came home smiling on Thursday despite all of the turmoil she had pulled off a B on her test. She and Dawn went out for pizza to celebrate and she actually enjoyed herself when she wasn't busy dreading tomorrow night.


Wesley and Giles had a late dinner out and returned to Wesleys apartment at !0pm the phone was ringing as they stepped through the door. "Yes, Rupert is here." He handed the phone to Giles.

"You have?", Giles asked excitedly, "Yes," he turned to Wesley, "Paper and pen please?"

Wesley quickly handed over a tablet and pen. Giles began to write on the pad nodding his head and saying yes repeatedly for several minutes.

"Thank you. Yes I remember my promise. My best to your wife." Giles grinned as he hung up the phone.

"I've got it, but we don't have much time, we have to do the spell at midnight. Here is a list of ingredients. And instructions." Wesley took the list from him , I know where we can get some of this. "But we have to have somethng of Angel's that meant something to he and Buffy? What could that be? Wait, I know." Wesley gave instruction to Giles on where to find the ingredients as he left for Angel's room.

Wesley let himself into Angel's room feeling slightly guilty at the intrusion,but if this works it will be worth it. He found a small wooden box on the dresser and opened it, there he found what he was looking for. It was a claddaugh ring. He knew it had meant quite a bit to Buffy and Angel. He had heard the story. He put the ring in his pocket and hurried back to his apartment.


Angel drove to Sunnydale quickly and waited at Willy's. If Riley followed instructions he would be here shortly.


11:30 pm Thursday

Wesley took the claddaugh ring from his pocket and lay it on the table. Giles began to read as Weslely poured a mixture from a cup onto the ring, it began to glow. They smiled at each other across the table.

"Do you think it worked?" Wesley asked Giles.

"Only one way to find out." Giles put on his coat, "Let's go to Angel's"

Wesley was surprised to find the Hyperion empty. "I wonder where he is?" He then spotted a notepad on Angels desk , the words Willy's at 2am written on it. He picked it up and showed it too Giles.

"Sunnydale it is." Giles told him as they went to his car.


Midnight

Angel felt a chill go through him. As his granny would say someone was walking on his grave. He shook it off and continued to wait for Riley.


Riley Finn arrived in Sunnydale very late. He drove to Willy's per his mysterious instructions. The guy, and that was using the term loosely who had found him had told him Buffy needed him and to go Willy's when he arrived in town. He glanced around the bar looking for a familiar face. A frown appeared when he noticed Angel at the bar. Anger and jealousy took over - why was Angel here and did he have something to do with Buffy's troubles?

Angel looked up from his drink in time to see Riley's fist connect with his face. He found himself on the dirty floor of Willy's bar staring at the angry commando. "What the hell are you doing here?" Riley demanded as Angel stood up wiping blood from the corner of his lip.

The words were barely out of his mouth before Angels fist connected with Rileys face. Riley found himself on the floor holding his bleeding nose. He was suprised to see Angel offer his hand to him, he declined and stood on his own.

"Now that we have that part over, I need to talk to you about Buffy." Angel reclaimed his barstool and pointed at the one next to it.

Riley sat down, his frown matching Angel's. "What about Buffy?"

"Her mother died. She needs you." Angel said simply.

Riley was quiet for a moment, "Joyce is dead? But the surgery went well, I was here."

"She had an aneurysm at the tumor site. Buffy found her." Angel explained the story to Riley.

"I need to go to her, if I had known anything like this would happen, I would never have left her." Riley shook his head. "But you've been here with her, right? You've been helping her through it, I hate to admit it but thats good. She still loves you, Angel." Riley sighed.

"I don't think she does, Riley. I found some pictures of you on her dresser. They looked like happy times and she wont' talk about why you left with me." It was Angel's turn to sigh.

"Pictures of good times dont' mean she loves me, Angel. And maybe she doesn't feel comfortable explaining to you why I left. I can assure you - she loves you, she cared for me. But she loves you. Why did you go to the trouble of bringing me here?"

"I want you to go to her, I want you to be there for her." Angel spoke softly.

"Don't you love her?" Riley was curious.

"Of course I love her, why the hell do you think I tracked you down? She want's you, I want her happy. And you will make her happy - do you understand me?" Angel snarled the last words making them threatening.

"She doesn't love me, Angel." Riley shook his head, "I'll go see her and offer my condolences, but you'll see it's not me she wants."

"And if she does want you?"

"If she wanted me I would move heaven and earth to be with her, but I know she doesn't. Angel don't you think I wish everyday that it was me." Riley ran his hand through his hair. "let's go and get this over with."

Angel followed Riley to Buffy's house. He let Riley go to the door first. Buffy answered the door cautiously. Her eyes lit up with surprise when she saw Riley standing there with his still swollen nose.

"Riley?" She stood staring at him a moment, "Come in. Are you okay?" She gently touched his nose.

" I"m okay. I'm sorry, I know it's late. I just got into town and I heard about your mother." He followed her into the living room.

"It's okay, I couldn't sleep anyway. Who told you about mom?" She sat down on the couch and patted the cushion next to her.

"Angel. Angel told me."

Buffy looked at Riley and shook her head, "Angel? You’ve talked to Angel?" She asked to make sure she had heard him correctly.

Riley sighed as he readied himself for her anger, he could see sparks in her hazel eyes. "Buffy, hear me out please?" He took one of her hands in his and held it gently.

"Angel is the one who found me, well he sent someone to find me, he said you were in trouble and I needed to come." He let the words sink in before he continued, "He wants what is best for you."

She pulled her hand away from him as if it had been burned, "He brought you back so he wouldn’t be obligated to be here. I should have known." She stood and paced angrily in front of the couch.

"No, thats not why he sent for me, he thinks that... " Riley tried to finish but was cut off by Buffy.

"And you? You only came back because someone told you I needed you. Well someone would have had to tell you, wouldn’t they? Because you sure as hell havent’ tried to contact me and find out how I was, have you? You know what - I don’t need Angel. And I don’t need you. Just go, Riley." Her words were brittle as she walked towards the door.

"Buffy, I won’t argue that I don’t deserve that, but give me one minute. Just one minute." Riley stood up, "Please."

She turned to him and tapped her foot, "One minute, Finn."

"Angel thinks that you want me back, he tracked me down because he thinks I’m the one who can make you happy." Riley said the words so softly and with such emotion that Buffy came back to the living room and sat down again.

"He thinks that? Not that I didn’t miss you, Riley, because I did. But I’m not good for you, you need a nice normal girl." Buffy gave him a small smile.

Riley sat down again and returned her smile. "I wish everyday that I was the one you wanted, Buffy. I thought there was the smallest chance that I was the one who would make you forget Angel, the one who could make you happy, I would stay right here with you. But I know in your heart who you love, and it’s not me." Riley took her small hand in his. "I wish it were, but it’s not. He’s outside and you need to talk to him."

"I don’t know Riley, I found out some stuff about Angel recently and I’m not sure I’m the one he loves anymore. He has this old fashioned honor code which to him means he has to help me, but I’m not sure it’s love, not anymore." Buffy sniffed as a single tear rolled down her cheek.

"Whatever it is you found out, Buffy. Ask him about it, I mean nobody is perfect. A man who didn’t love you wouldn’t have gone to as much trouble as he did to find me - a guy he doesn’t like, just to make you happy. He loves you, I know he does - he told me. ." Riley caught the tear as it fell from her chin.

"Sometimes love isn’t enough, Riley. Even if he does love me, we still have a lot of problems between us. The curse is still there. If my mother was still alive, Angel and I would still have separate lives." Buffy reached for a tissue on the end table.

"I don’t know what to tell you about the curse Buffy. All I know is that when I see you two, I see what love is. And I only hope that someday I can have that kind of love." He leaned over and gave her a tight hug.

"I don’t know, Riley." Buffy pulled away from him.

"I have to go, I am so sorry about your mom. She was a good woman and I liked her." Riley stood up.

"Thank you for coming. *You* are a good man, Riley Finn. I wish I could make it up to you for not appreciating you when you were here." She stood on her tiptoes and kissed his cheek.

"You can make it up to me." He grinned at her.

"How?"

"Talk to Angel, really talk to him." Riley told her as he walked to the door.

Buffy chewed on her bottom lip for a moment, "Okay, I will. Send him in."

"Alright, I’ll get him. You be happy, Buffy." Buffy watched as he walked out the front door.

* Riley found Angel leaning against his car. "Riley, how did it go?"

"It went fine, Angel."

"So are you staying?" Angel asked anxiously.

"No, I’m not. It’s like I told you, Angel. I’m not the one she wants." Riley smiled at Angel and shook his head.

"She still wants me?" Angel asked with disbelief.

"Yeah, she does. I think you two have the worst communication skillls of any couple I have ever seen. She said she had found some stuff out about you recently that made her doubt that you loved her. I suggested that she talk to you about it." Riley stepped closer to Angel and pointed his finger at his chest, "And I suggest that you be honest with her when she asks."

"I will be." Angel began to walk towards the house as he approached the front door he turned and called to Riley, "Thank you."

Riley started towards his car, "Your welcome, don’t make me regret it. If you do, I will be back." He sighed as he started the car praying that he had made the right decision.

 

More

 

<< back