"Nobody's Perfect"

Author: A. Price
Email: andramichelle@yahoo.com

1

2

3

Buffy peeked out the window when she heard Riley’s car start. Angel was almost at the front door. She swallowed hard and opened the door she was still angry with him but she felt like she owed it to Riley to at least listen to what Angel had to say.

"Hey," she said shyly as he entered the house.

"Hey."

"Let’s go sit down." She led the way to the living room, " I think we need to talk."

At this moment, Angel thought those were perhaps the most frightening words he had ever heard.


Angel sat down nervously on the couch next to Buffy. She was staring at him her eyes showing little emotion and her jaw set in a hard line. He picked up the sofa pillow and began to examine the fringe on it. "So uhh, what do you want to talk about?" He finally asked never looking up from the fringe.

"Oh, I have a list? Do you want to go in alphabetical order or what?" She asked her voice heavy with sarcasm.

He glanced up into her angry eyes, "Wherever you want to start, I guess." He replied calmly.

"Okay, we’ll start with Riley. What possessed you to bring him here? He gave me his side of the story. But I am really anxious to hear yours. I mean did you want out of this little arrangement that badly? Are Dawn and I cramping your new LA style that much? Or did you get bored with the game? Or maybe you... "

Angel interuppted her flow of questions, "Are you going to let me explain or just keep asking questions?"

She sighed and shook her head at him, "Talk."

"Okay, it seemed to be that we were getting along fine. We were enjoying each others company, now that I think about it, maybe I was enjoying it too much." Angel stopped talking and looked at her she was still angry and her eyes flashed as she chewed her bottom lip. Yet she was still the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. Before he could continue she began to speak.

"So that’s it? You were enjoying this too much?" She looked at him with a wicked smile, "Well we can’t have that can we, a happy Angel is not good is it? Thats what started this whole big mess between us isn’t it?" Her words were bitter in her throat yet she could not stop herself from saying them.

He tried to ingore the pain in his heart as he spoke softly, "Buffy. It wasn’t that, I could have stayed here as long as you needed me. I still will, but you withdrew from me and then there are these pictures of you and Riley on your dresser. At the beach, in the sun, doing all those normal things I can’t . And you admitted you missed him, you even said he was a good guy. What was I supposed to think?"

"You didn’t have to go off and send for Riley? Why do you always think you know what is best for me?" She stood up and began to pace in front of the couch.

"I thought he would make you happy again."

"Well he didn’t. Riley is a good person and I told him I would hear you out. But Riley isn’t the one who I want?" She flopped back down on the couch and closed her eyes.

"Then who is, who is the one you want?" He took her hands in his, she opened her eyes slowly, staring into the dark depths of his eyes. Then in a small voice, barely a whisper she spoke, "You know who it is."

He gave her hands a light squeeze, knowing she wanted him still made his heart soar, even though he knew that it was wrong, that there were still too many obstacles. He would think about that later, right now he wanted to know what was wrong. He smiled a gentle smile at her and lifted her chin up with his finger, "What’s wrong, Buffy?"

She sighed a heavy sigh then began to speak softly, "I was enjoying it too, probably too much. But it just felt so right between us and I was getting to comfortable."

"I’m sorry, Buffy. I should have known if it was this hard on me to "pretend" that it was just as hard on you. So you decided to push me away?"

"No, that wasn’t the reason, Angel." She sat up straight and pulled back from him.

"Then what was the reason?" He was confused, he couldn’t figure out what was going on inside of her.

"Cordelia called the night you were running late. She told me about Darla, Angel." Buffy studied his face for a reaction to Darla’s name.

He took a sharp unneeded breath, "Umm... Darla I would have told you she was back but you had too much going on here to worry about her too."

"Oh, so you would have told me that you slept with her, right?" Buffy stared at him her hazel eyes boring into him.

Angel’s face fell as her words sank in. He sat speechless for several moments.

"You were going to tell me someday, right? When I had less to worry about?" She asked the question shaking her head as she spoke.

"Yes... no... I don’t know." He finally answered slowly.

"That’s what I thought. I was supposed to spill about Riley to you. But you forgot to mention your twice dead ex honey’s reaappearance and that you got "groiny" with her as Cordelia would put it." She stood then an resumed her pacing.

"Buffy, the thing with Darla was different." Angel said before he thought the words through and he immediatlely knew he had said the wrong thing.

Buffy stopped her pacing and faced him, "It was different? How? Skanky ho returns from the dead, plays with your mind some and you fall into bed with her? I guess it’s to be expected, one of the reasons you left me was because you couldn’t make love to me."

"Buffy... " He started but she shoved him back against the couch and got into his face.

"No, you listen to me. I told you that making love wasn’t that important, feeling love, the kind of love I thought we had between us, that was the most important thing to me. If I could never make love to you, I wouldn’t care, I LOVE YOU that much. Evidently you don’t feel the same way if you could just go sleep with that..that... thing. You must have feelings for her and now, hey, still soulful, so you can have her whenever you like." She stomped across the room and sat down in a chair.

"Buffy, I was out of my head when I slept with Darla, I was at rock bottom, I had given up. I thought nothing mattered anymore. It didn’t matter how hard I fought the good fight, I wasn’t winning." He tried to explain calmly.

"You once told me on a bench in the park - that we never win. But we keep fighting anyway. Did you forget your own words?" Buffy sighed and closed her eyes leaning back in the chair.

"Darla came into my dreams, I was so confused. In desperation I went to her and yes, I had sex with her. But love was no where in the equation. And when I woke up next to her, it was a nightmare, I knew it was wrong and I knew that I had to pull myself together. I had forgotten my words, Buffy. Maybe I needed you there to remind me." Angel finished relief in his voice that it was finally out in the open, but fearful of the consquences.

Buffy sat quietly in the chair, we need each other, we need each other to keep balanced. Why can’t this be simple? She opened her eyes slowly, "Angel, do you love me?"

It was a simple question with the most complicated answers. "Yes, I love you." And she knew he did by the way his voice shook slightly with emotion as he answered and how his eyes never left hers.

"Do you really want me happy?"

"Of course, I do." He answered sincerely.

"Then help me make this work between us. If we work together, Angel then we won’t forget why we fight? And we’ll only be stronger if we fight together." Her voice cracked on the last word, a single tear ran down her cheek. "We’re no good apart."

He rushed to her side and took her in his arms, holding her tightly against him, "Buffy, there is so much against us... "

"I won’t be hurt again, say yes you want to be with me or leave and don’t ever come back." Buffy’s voice was strong as she said the words, "I mean it."

He held her even more tightly, his own tears falling into the blond hair. "I don’t want to leave. I can’t." He let go of her then and pulled her to her feet. Bowing his head he placed a gentle kiss on her lips.


"Rupert, can’t you go any faster? We need to find out if this worked or not?" Wesley held the claddaugh ring between his thumb and forefinger stairing at it intensely, "This could change everything."

"Well it will only slow us down, it I get stopped for speeding. They’ve gone this long, Wesley a few more minutes won’t hurt them." Giles replied as he checked his rearview mirror and stepped a bit harder on the gas pedal.


"Buffy, it’s three am, I think you should go to bed." Angel whispered into her hair as she curled up against him on the couch.

"Nah, happy right here." She mumbled sleepily.

He smiled down at the blond head cradled against his chest. "Okay." He dropped a kiss on her head and settled in making himself comfortable. She was soon sleeping against him, he listened to her steady heartbeat and the gentle whisper of her breath. He closed his eyes and tried not to worry about what lie ahead of them.

Angel and Buffy were both sleeping peacefully when the doorbell rang loudly and repeatedly. It woke them both with a start, each having to look around several minutes to determine just where they were. Finally Angel stood, "You stay, I’ll get it." She watched him walking to the door and could hear him mumbling, "Who would be ringing the bell at this hour?"

He cautiously opened the door to find the two watchers standing outside. They both barged into the house, "Where is Buffy?" Giles demanded.

"She’s okay, she’s in the livingroom, she was sleeping. What’s wrong?" Angel asked anxiously. Whereas Giles and Wesley both seemed hurried they did not appear to be in any danger.

"We need you to put this ring on?" Wesley instructed pulling the familiar claddaugh from his pocket.

"Wha...?" Angel started but was interuppted by Buffy’s hand on his shoulder, "What’s going on Angel?" She then turned to Giles, "Is something wrong and why is Wesley here?" Her voice began to sound panicked."Dawn, is something wrong with Dawn?"

Giles placed his hand on her arm, "Dawn is fine. Calm down. Wesley and I just need to try some experiment on Angel."

"Experiment? And it had to be done at this time of morning? Giles, Wesley, whats going on here?" Buffy demanded staring down both her present and former watcher.

"Angel, as I was saying you need to put this ring on your left hand, please?" Wesley handed him the ring, ignoring Buffy’s glare.

"Wesley, why?" Angel asked his eyes wide with confusion as he took the ring and placed it on his finger.

As soon as the ring was securely on his hand it began to glow a lovely blue color. Everyone’s eyes fixated on the glowing ring. "What does it mean?" Angel asked after a few seconds.

"It means that your soul is bound to you. You can’t lose it again." Giles told him with a smile.

"You mean?...How?" Angel stared at the ring as the glowing dissappeared.

"Giles and I decided that you and Buffy deserved some happiness. Some true happiness, without any consequences." Wesley smiled as he clasped his hand on Angel’s shoulder.

Angel looked at the ring on his finger he grinned as he turned to Buffy. He was not completely turned around before the petite slayer launched herself at him and he quickly swooped her up into his arms. She smothered kisses all over his face oblivious to the amused stares of Wesley and Giles.

Angel peeked over her shoulder and smiled at the two men. "Well, uh...ummm. I think perhaps this is our cue to leave." Giles backed out of the door with Wesley close behind him. "Yes, we’ll call you tomorrow, uh...late tomorrow to check on you." Wesley told the couple as he closed the front door.

"Well done." Wesley griinned as they got into the red sports car.

"I quite agree." Giles smiled as he drove towards his apartment.


Angel struggled to stand with the suddenly wide awake and very passionate Buffy in his arms. He laughed out loud before her lips descended on his once more. "Buffy." He murmured against her lips. "We should talk."

"Talking is overrated and it’s on the bottom of my ‘to do’ list right now." She smiled as she pulled away from him, whispering seductively she leaned forward, "Want to know what’s on the top of the list?"

"Oh yeah, Ms. Summers, I would love to know what’s on the top of that list." He kissed her as he picked her up again and walked up the stairs. Buffy began to whisper in his ear stopping to giggle.

"Well that is a long ‘to do’ list, but I promise that we’ll give it out best shot at doing everything on it." He carried her to her room and lie her on the bed gently. She began to unbutton her shirt, he caught her hand, his tone turning serious, "Are you sure about this? I mean if you want to wait. This is sudden."

She stood and began to help him unbutton his shirt, "I think we’ve waited long enough."

He sighed the first of many sighs that night and smiled one of the many tender smiles shared in the room. The rest of the early morning hours were spent in warm embraces alternated with unbridled passion, quiet whispers of love and devotion echoed through the room. And the early morning light brought a scene of contentment. Buffy securely enmeshed in Angel’s arms, satisfaction and contentment clear on both of their faces.


Hank Summers had made the early trip to Sunnydale for a reason. His last trip had left him worried about both of his daughters. He realized his failings as a father - but he did love his girls whether he showed it properly or not. He was worried for Buffy because her relationship with her fiance’ seemed strained. Which put stress on her and made it harder for her to keep an eye on Dawn. So he worried about Dawn not being taken care of properly and having to witness the strain between Buffy and Angel. He had decided to drop in early - they would not be expecting him yet and he could maybe find out what was going on.

He pulled the car into the driveway and noticed Angel’s car parked there also. So Angel was there - that might be a good sign. He walked to the door using the key he’d gotten from Buffy when he had agreed to let Dawn stay.

It was nine o’clock in the morning and the house was quiet. Nobody seemed to be stirring as he let himself in. He didn’t let it bother him too much as it was Saturday and they might just be sleeping in. Making a quick run through the downstairs he started up the staircase.

Hank mentally prepared himself for his talk with Buffy. He wanted answers about her realtionship with Angel - he needed to know if Dawn would be okay with them or if the relationship was shaky. He peeked in Dawns room , it was empty as he walked by the bathroom he could hear the shower running. He walked by Buffy’s open door next.

His eldest daughter stood wrapped in a bed sheet peeking out her closed blind. She heard the movement behind her and turned saying, "Hey you’re out already? I’m ready for some breakfast, we worked up an appetite." Her face flushed immediately when she realized who had walked into her room "Uhhh...daddy?"

"Buffy - where is Dawn? I have a feeling that’s not her in the shower." Hank glared at his daughter as she adjusted her sheet tighter around her.

"Dawn spent the night at Melinda’s, dad." Buffy explained as she reached for her robe.

"Get dressed and get downstairs, we need to talk." He turned hastily from the room and started down the hallway only to run into Angel. Angel wearing only a towel and a shocked expression.

"Angel, get dressed and meet Buffy and I downstairs." Hank shook his head as he walked down the stairs.

Angel hurried to Buffy’s room and found her pulling clothes on. "Buffy? Your dad?’

"He came early and he doesn’t look happy, hurry lets see if we can get him calmed down before Dawn comes home." She threw his pants and shirt at him across the room. She quickly ran a brush through her hair as he dressed.

He took her trembling hand and they walked down together. Hank was waiting in the livingroom. Buffy could smell coffee perking in the kitchen. Hank raised a cup to his lips, "Get yourself a cup, I thought we might need it."

Buffy retreated to the kitchen pouring two cups of coffee. Hank gave his best intimidating stare to Angel as they waited for her. Angel was suddenly very interested in his fingernails. Buffy entered the room and handed Angel his coffee. The three sat down and stared quietly for a few moments.

"Buffy, I thought after last week that there was some tenison between you and Angel. I realize now I was obviously wrong." He looked from Buffy to Angel and continued, "I was going to talk to you about that this week, I wondered if Dawn needed to be subjected to that kind of strain."

"Dad, everything is really okay between us." Buffy started as Hank put his hand up to quiet her.

"I told you I realized I was wrong. Obviously if what I walked in on was what it looked like the two of you are fine. Which leads me to another worry? Does Dawn need to be exposed to this? Did you send her off to a friends house so the two of you could... make merry?"

"No sir. Dawn had already asked to spend the night at Melinda’s house." Angel spoke up. "I’m sorry for any embarrassment we caused you, but we would never put... umm... making merry over caring for Dawn."

"Dawn is first, dad. Really." Buffy piped in.

"If that’s is the case then it’s wonderful for Dawn. But how about you Buffy? You are young, in love, about to be married. Is it fair for you and Angel to be tied down with a teenager? Children can limit your ummm... spontaniety sometimes." Hank blushed slightly.

"We love Dawn sir. And she is happy with us. She loves school and her friends and she doesn’t want to leave. We really want her here." Angel took Buffy’s hand and smiled at her as she spoke.

"I would feel much more comfortable with the situation if you were married."

Buffy bit her bottom lip and glanced sideways at Angel, "We will be."

Buffy stared wideeyed at Angel as if begging for help. Angel squeezed her hand tighter. "Hank, I think that’s an excellent idea.we’ve been putting off the plans and we have no reason to do that anymore."

Angel grinned at her and got down on one knee still holding her hand tightly, "Buffy will you marry me eight weeks from today?" He started lovingly into her eyes and she knew he was serious. This was no faux engagement anymore.

"Yes, I’ll marry you , Angel." She leaned forward giving him tender kiss. Tears of joy running down her cheeks.

"Good then it’s settled." Hank stood up just as Dawn came through the front door.

She walked into the living room, noticing Buffy’s tears yet a beautiful smile on her face. "What’s going on?"

"Your sister and Angel are getting married." Hank told her smiling.

"Well,duh." Dawn told him sitting down next to Buffy.

"No, they’ve decided to get married in eight weeks," Hank explained.

"For real?" Dawn asked grinning then quickly covered, "In eight weeks?"

"Yes, for real." Angel and Buffy answered in unison.

Dawn rushed to hug them both, "I knew it, I knew it would really happen someday." She whispered to Buffy.

"Now, you and I are going out for breakfast and to discuss the summer’s plans and anyway Angel and Buffy have a wedding to plan." Hank led Dawn out of the house. looking back over his shoulder he grinned at the happy couple, "I’d say we’re going to be gone for a good three hours." *

Buffy stood up and walked to the kitchen putting the coffee cups in the sink. Angel followed her not willing to let her out of his sight. "We’re really doing this?" She asked him afraid it was all a dream.

"Yes, we are really doing this. Now we really have to get busy, we have a wedding to plan." He pulled her to him and kissed her sweetly.

"You’re kind of rushing me, weddings take time to plan." Buffy giggled.

"We could get married at a bus station and I wouldn’t care as long as you were the bride." Angel laughed, "I think you can do better then that with eight weeks to plan though."

"Yeah, I think I can. I love you, Angel." She sighed as she leaned up for another kiss.

"I love you too."

"I can’t believe you’ve forgiven me for all the stupid things I’ve done lately." She sighed again.

"You forgave me," He pulled away from her and looked into her eyes, "Besides nobody’s perfect. We live, we love, we learn."

"That’s so true. I think I’ve learned alot, we do things out of love sometimes things that aren’t real smart. But with good intentions, I accept thats why mom asked you to leave and I still love her. And I have to accept why you left then too, maybe us being apart only proved how much we should be together. I won’t take that for granted again." She hugged him again.

"Me either," He whispered into her ear, "Now didn’t Hank say they would be gone a good three hours?"

Buffy grabbed his hand, "Let’s not waste those three hours, my ‘to do’ list still has a couple of things left on it."

The house was full of laughter as he followed her up the stairs.

 

The End

 

<< back