Angel's Secrets

Creative Works   

Kiss the Rain (Part 2)
By Blu

Disclaimer: All rights reserved for Joss Whedon, the WB, Mutant Enemy, etc. I used the characters for my own personal enjoyment and that of others, not for profit. I have nothing, so don't expect much if you decide to sue.

The rights to the song "Kiss the Rain" belong to whoever owns them, and it's not me. I am using the song as my own personal derivation for this story, nothing else. I also only used the lyrics that fitted with my story, so some will be left out. Oh, and the song is inside these *** little things.

. . .

Part 2

******In a restless world like this is
Love is ended before it's begun,
And too many moonlight kisses
Seem to cool in the warmth of the sun.******

The group was partying at Buffy's crib. They were feasting on popcorn, chips, and the triple fudge cookies Willow had made earlier. "Children of the Corn" was playing on the TV.

Willow and Oz reclined in matching bean-bags, Xander and Cordelia sat close to each other on the couch, and Buffy sat alone, deep in the depths of a Laz- E-Boy recliner, arms wrapped around a pillow. Her eyes strayed often from the television and out the window across the room. Her body was almost healed of the huge bruises it had acquired in her little run in with the friendly semi truck.

The movie finally ended, and the gang sat around, trying to think of something fun to do.

"I know!" Oz was the first to break the tension-filled silence. "We should do that hypnotizing thing that we always used to do at parties!"

Xander was, not surprisingly, the first one to put in his two cents. "That's kid stuff!" he scoffed, staring Oz down. Willow shot him a freezing glare.

"I'll go first," Buffy volunteered. Her reasoning: get it over with as quickly as possible, then sit back and think about a certain dark haired villian.

It was decided to let Cordy be the first to do the hypnotizing. The lights were turned out, and a candle burned in the far corner of the room. Buffy laid down on her back on the floor, her head on a pillow. Cordy began rubbing her temples methodically. The others watched as Buffy relaxed and began to lose her careful hold on her mind.

Buffy let herself sink into the soothing blackness.


. . .

Once again Buffy experienced the darkness fading to sunlight. She stood on the same hill, her eyes lit on the same figures playing in the distance. She whirled to face a smiling Angel (that would be this trademark half-smile, by the way). "You learn quickly," he teased, gently touching her cheek. Buffy turned her face into his hand. He tugged her into his arms. She buried her face in his chest. Tears ran down her cheeks.

Angel rested his chin on the top of Buffy's head and tightened his hold on her.

Buffy let Angel's strength seep into her. She took a deep breath and a step back. Angel's eyes probed hers. She sniffed and tried to smile.

"I'll be okay," she answered his unspoken question.

"You shouldn't do this to yourself," Angel scolded softly. He reached out and wiped her face with his fingertips.

"I can't seem to help myself," Buffy said with a tiny smile. "I love you. I try not to but I can't stop."

******When I fall in love
It will be forever
Or I'll never fall in love******

Angel smiled sadly at her reuse of his infamous words. "I want to kill him myself when he tortures you like he does," he admitted. "Why don't you go ahead and do it?"

"Well, it's a little complicated..."

******When I give my heart
It will be completely,
Or I'll never give my heart...******

Angel pulled Buffy into the shade of a grove of nearby trees and sprawled on the ground. "Why don't you tell me?"

Buffy sat in the lush grass next to Angel, *right* next to him. He slung and arm over her shoulder. She sighed.

"I just can't stop loving you. It's not that easy. Every time I see his face I see *you*. And I love *you*. I can't just turn my love off."

******When I fall in love
It will be forever
Or I'll never fall in love

When I give my heart
It will be completely,
Or I'll never give my heart******

Angel didn't look at Buffy. "Then I wish for your sake we'd never met. Things would have been easier if I'd never come to Sunnydale."

Buffy shook her head angrily. "Easier yes, better no!" Buffy's voice rose. "I don't care what you do now, what we had was special. So special that even now you're still with me."

******If I never knew you
if I never felt this love
I would have no inkling of
how precious life can be.

And if I'd never held you
I would never have a clue
how at last I'd find
the missing part of me.******

"If we'd never have met, I'd be dead long ago. You have helped me in so many ways."

******And I'm so grateful to you
I'd have lived my life the whole way through,
lost forever,
if I never knew you.

If I never knew you
I'd be safe but half as well
never knowing I could feel
a love so strong and true.*******

"I would be lost without you. You gave me a reason to fight, to breathe, to live."

******I though our love would be so beautiful
somehow we'd make the whole world right
I thought our love would be so beautiful
we'd turn the darkness into light
and still my heart is saying we were right (we were right).******

"Angel, if I had never met you, I would have missed out on the best part of my life."

******And if I never knew you
I'd have lived my whole life through . . .
empty as the sky
never knowing why
lost forever
If I never knew you.******

Angel looked like he was about to cry. He leaned his forehead on Buffy's and looked deep into her eyes. His face held so much love it was almost comical.

"Too bad you're the Slayer. You'd have made a great psychologist."

Buffy didn't crack a smile. "I wasn't kidding."

"I know. Buffy, we can't be together. What good is our love?"

"What good is our love?" Buffy wanted to scream at his refusal to believe in them. "Angel, our love is what brought me here today. Don't ask me how. All I know is I love you, and I can't stop. That's all I *need* to know."

Angel sighed in mock defeat. "Fine. Our love is good for something. It keeps us together."

Buffy felt herself slipping away from Angel once again. She didn't try to stop it this time. She wrapped her arms around Angel's neck and whispered in his ear:

"If I had never known you, I would have a miserable life. I love you and don't ever forget it."

"I won't." Buffy missed the sad puppy look on Angel's face as she closed her eyes.

Buffy came back to reality with a heavy thud, feeling like she needed a good cry. Cordy leaned over her with a weird look on her face. Willow was crying into Oz's shirt and Xander sat in the corner, looking like he was about to throw up.

"I didn't say all that out loud, did I?" Buffy asked weakly, sitting up.

"'Fraid so," Oz murmured through the cloud that was Willow's hair. "You made Willow cry."

"It was just so *sweet*." Willow sobbed. Xander ran for the bathroom.

Buffy rubbed her head.

"What did Angel mean when he said 'You learn fast'?" Cordy asked curiously.

"Oh, that..." Buffy hung her head. "Well, when I was in that accident -the one involving the semi- I had a dream just like that one only different. Oh!" Buffy grunted in pain. "I have such a headache!"

. . .

Page 2 of 6
Read the next part
>>

. . .


Fanfiction Index