''Not all monsters are demons. One beast he cannot fight.''
Belonging - 2ADH19
Written by Shawn Ryan - Directed by Turi Meyer - First Aired on May 1, 2001
Creature Feature -
Cool Quotes -
The Morgue -
Famous Faces -
Points Of View
The Short: Part one of the four part Angel finale. Angel is trying to fit into the groups new public image, but is uncomfortable. Cordelia celebrates getting a role in a television commercial, but ends up disappointed that she's just another piece of cleavage for the camera. When a dimensional portal opens at Caritas allowing a killer Drokken Beast loose on the world, the host goes to Angel Investigations to stop it, but Cordelia has a vision of a woman at a library. When they arrive at the library they discover the woman, Winifred, was lost years ago in a similar portal after reading from a strange book. They read from the book and a portal opens letting in a warrior who looks strangely like the host. It ends up this is the host's cousin Landokmar, and the host confesses he is from another dimension.
The cousin joins them in hunting the Drokken, and although Landokmar is wounded in the fight, Angel is able to slay the beast. They go back to Caritas with the book and open the portal to send Landokmar home before his poisoned wounds kill him, but Cordelia has fallen into the portal too. Cordelia awakes in a forest filled with strange noises and looks up to discover two suns overhead.
The Long: After a ''Previously on Angel'' segment (see Continuity #1) we open on Cordelia, Wesley, Angel and Gunn having dinner at an expensive restaurant. Cordelia is looking for celebrities, Gunn is uncomfortable with the food, Angel is obviously concerned about people noticing him, and possibly his lack of a reflection in a nearby mirror. They are celebrating Cordelia's new job acting in a national commercial and toast her. Angel reminds her not to leave when she gets famous, but she says that won't happen as long as she has the visions. Angel is worried about how expensive the food is. They plan to be going after a Haklar demon the next day. Gunn wonders if they should get a flame thrower. Angel notices a woman walking across the room, runs to her and grabs her stole, saying he recognizes the markings as a Brahanian Battle Shroud woven from the skin of dead children. He accuses her of being a Voctar witch, then notices isn't not one up close. Cordelia apologizes for
him, saying he's from France (see Reference #1). After going back to the table Cordelia seems to start to have a vision, but it ends up she's getting sick from the food. Angel hopes they will take it off the bill.
The Drokken Beast is a demon beast native to the host's dimension. It is a powerful beast which can be killed by a weapon dipped in Thromite. It has a bite that is poisonous to those of the Deathwok clan.
A demon mentioned this week is the Haklar demon, who Gunn describes as bloated looking. It is killed off camera by Angel, Gunn and Wesley. The Haklar, descended for the Klensan order demons, can weigh as much as three tons as an adult male. It awakes from its hibernation during alternating full moons only to feed and mate, often simultaneously. Incapable of traditional speech the Haklar has learned to communicate with each other via a pattern of carefully timed facial ticks, not dissimilar to Morse code. The Haklar prefers a warm moist clime
Angel mentions something called a Voctar witch, who wears a Brahanian Battle Shroud woven from the skin of dead children.
- Wesley: ''We managed to kill the Haklar just as it was about to devour a group of power walkers.''
Angel: ''It was horrible.''
Cordelia: ''I know, I saw it in my stupid vision, remember?''
Angel: ''No, not the Haklar, the power walkers. I mean, walking I get, but power walking? Why not just run for a shorter time? Weird, plus one of them hit him.''
Cordelia: ''A power walker did that?''
Wesley: ''Apparently she felt that I disrespected the Haklar's culture by killing it.''
Cordelia: ''This town sucks.''
Thanks to Ness for suggesting this one, it was good.
- Cordelia: ''It's a beautiful shall ma'am, it's a beautiful $1000 Laura Mina original.''
Laura Mina is...
- Wesley: ''Incapable of traditional speech the Haklar has learned to communicate with each other via a pattern of carefully timed facial ticks, not dissimilar to our own Morse code.''
Morse Code is a system of long and short clicks developed by Samuel F.B. Morse (1791-1872) to send messages over telegraph lines.
- George: ''Pack of them making McKenzie park their new personal restaurant.''
McKenzie Park is...
- Angel: ''Haklar is living on the North shore of Lake Hollywood. We better hurry. They've got a five K race starting there in half an hour.''
Lake Hollywood is an artificial lake created by Mulholland Dam. There is a good page devoted to Lake Hollywood at http://employees.oxy.edu/jerry/lholly.htm.
- Seth: ''I didn't hire you to play Ophelia. Show the cleavage, save the line. Got it? Or you wanna waste more of our time?''
Ophelia is an innocent character in William Shakespear's play Hamlet.
- Host demon:: ''Elton's in town next month. What do you say, you and me, back row seats?''
Elton John is a song writer whose works include the 1974 song The Bitch Is Back, which was mentioned by Cordelia in Rm w/a Vu.
(Thanks to Starshine of the Watcher's Diary for the picture.)
- Host demon: ''Mr. Elton John hits the first few keys of 'yellow brick
road' I defy you not to feel like the only other person in the room.''
Host demon: ''Toodles. See you and the Munchkins in the morning.''
The Yellow Brick Road and Munchkins are features from the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz. This film was referenced in The Yoko Factor by Willow, in Eternity by Angel, in What's My Line Part 2 by Xander, in The Pack by Buffy, and by Amilyn in Buffy The Vampire Slayer. This film was also the inspiration for the title of No Place Like Home and for the scenes in Fear, Itself and Nightmares.
(Thanks to Poppedijn for finding this picture.)
- Host demon: ''This reading room to die for. Great stage, rocking chair, fabulous colors. I'm tempted to just show up tomorrow morning with Harry Potter.''
Harry Potter is character in a series of books by the same name authored by K.J. Rowling. They have an official web site at http://www.harrypotter.com/.
- Cordelia: ''Yeah, Pat, I'd like to buy a vowel.''
Pat Sajak is the host of the television game show Wheel of Fortune. On the show contestants attempt to solve word puzzles, where they guess consonants for cash, but vowels must be purchased.
- Cordelia: ''Previously on Angel.''
The Thin Dead Line - Gunn introduces his friends to Anne. They say he hasn't been around. A zombie cop tries to arrest Gunn then shoots Wesley.
Epiphany - Gunn says Wesley took a bullet for him. Angel remarks how they have bonded. Angel says he wants to come back and work for Wesley.
Dead End - Cordelia has a painful vision, Angel and Wesley comfort her. Gunn wants to know if the visions hangovers are getting longer. Cordelia wishes it would stop hurting.
- Wesley: ''Yes, mum. Yes, well, put him on. Right. You too. Hello father. Happy Birthday. How are you? Good. No! It's going quite well actually. Yes. I have news. I've been put in charge of our group. Yes, as their leader. No, it's a permanent position. Well as permanent as these things... No, I certainly won't be fired. Ah. Well, yes, I was that one time, yes. Again... No, you're right. I see how... Yes, I'd forgotten, thank you. Yes. Ah, just recently. Uhm, it's going quite well so far. No, I think this time... I hope it will be different. No. No, you're right. I see how... I just thought you'd be... I thought you'd want to know, that's all. Right. Well, again, happy birthday. Okay.''
Parting Gifts - We learned Wesley had been fired by the Council of Watchers.
Reunion - Angel fired Wesley and the other employees from Angel Investigations.
- Host demon: ''Call me crazy, but I'm getting the weirdest sense of deja vue here. How come every time you and me hit the big city we end up in a library? Snoresville. Next time why don't we do something fun?''
Happy Anniversary - Angel and the host ended up at a library when they were looking for Gene Rainy.
Note: Wesley, Angel and Gunn kill a Hacklar demon off camera, and a vampire kills George off camera.
- Anonymous man: On the street, eaten by the Droken beast.
- Drokken beast: On the street, run through with a sword by Angel.
David Boreanaz as Angel
Charisma Carpenter as Cordelia Chase
Alexis Denisof as Wesley Wyndham-Pryce
J. August Richards as Charles Gunn
Andy Hallett as the Host Demon (Krevlornswath of the Deathwok Clan)
Amy Acker as Winifred "Fred" Burkle
Jarrod Crawford as Rondell
Darris Love as George
Brody Hutzler as Landokmar of the Deathwok Clan
Kevin Otto as Seth
Maureen Grier as the Woman
Lynne Maclean as Claire
Amy Louis Acker, who played Fred, is originally from Dallas Texas. She was born on December 5th 1976. According to an interview with her in the Spring 2001 Buffy The Vampire Slayer magazine the vision scene in this episode was the first scene she shot for the series. She was originally contracted to do this and the three following episodes, with the option of having her return next season. After some screen tests with Alexis and J. they decided to make her a regular. There is a very good web site devoted to Amy at http://www.shimmerstars.net/amy/.
Brody Hutzler, who played Landokmar, also played the part of Max in the Charmed episode Heartbreak City 2.10.
Points Of View
This episode left a lot of unanswered questions. I didn't know going in that it was the first of a 4 part series! Yeah for Cordelia in a bikini! It's nice to see Gunn's friends as reoccurring characters instead of new faceless guys every week. Angel played a little over the top in the opening scene, which was bad, but the ending was unexpected. I look forward to seeing how Cordelia gets out of this one.
Page by Webmaster Mathew - November, 2002
Special thanks to The Complete Buffy Episode Guide for
inspiration and technical help, as well as Buffy episode links and all the
readers of the
Watcher's Diary for their feedback in making this page what it is.