Summary

AU fic. Everyone has problems. Faith, Dana(AtS S5), and understanding.

Info

Browse

You can browse our archive in several ways:

By Author

By Date

Fanfiction: Antecedent

Sometimes, she would catch the girl staring at her. There was no fear or wonder behind those eyes—it was something else. Almost like understanding. In a strange way she enjoyed it, but she also felt annoyed and peeved at the same time. Knowing that this chick was having dreams about her. About her past. Yet another judgemental face to deal with; but she would deal.

In return, she would straddle a chair next to the huge cage B kept in the basement, watching the strange female sleep. Arms folded, obsidian eyes staring straight at her, digging into her and trying to see her soul. Sometimes, she would even let her out of the cage. Being she was the only one who had the guts to do it.

There was always a level of trust between them—ever since she first saw her. It was like a bolt of electricity that came every time they looked at each other. It wasn’t sexual, no, it was an understanding she had only felt with Angel.

No matter, Dana had problems. Faith knew this, but she had problems of her own as well. Maybe that’s why everyone would keep her and Dana together so much; they were both damaged. Ugly black souls that matched the color of their eyes, the color of their clothes. They could bond over each other’s pain.

Some felt like slapping the both of them, telling them to get the fuck over it because it was all in the past. But it ain’t that easy letting go of the past, Faith would tell you that first hand. That shit stuck with you and hid away in the back of your mind. Only coming out when you were asleep or beating up one of the daily demons.

Those were the inner demons, oh yes; the fact that your mom could sit around and watch some of her men friends gang up on you, rape you, and torture you as long as she got that fix. The day you watched someone murder your dad and have to let that person fuck you with that stranded piece of wood they found laying around or else they would do the same thing to your mom—not that you gave a hell about that careless bitch but you couldn’t bare to be alone in a world where stuff like this happened. Even if the person that would be taken away from you didn’t give two shits about you. Or maybe it was the day when you were getting the beating of a lifetime from dear old mom, only to attempt to push her away like you always do. Except, this time, she flies through the wall and hits her head on the side of the mold-covered table and never wakes up.

That’s inner demons. Your past, it never went away. No matter how hard you tried to forget, it would always be there. You learn to deal with that, you learn to control it. But even so, it gets too hard. It can get so powerful it can swallow you whole and never spit you back out.

Faith was only a genius when it came to stuff like this; damaged kids with the broken pasts. Like that one time, when her psychologist told her she could be a psychologist as well. If she wasn’t an ex-murdering whore, she wouldn’t pass down the cash. But it was the fact she would have to sit there, every day, and listen to kids who whined about their parents being too strict, or other petty problems. Then there were the kids who actually have a life like Faith did. Kids who are going through the same hell. On some level, she couldn’t bare. The fact that someone was dealing with what she had to deal with was more painful than a dagger being slammed into her gut. And oh yes, Faith knew what that felt like. On another level, she could care less.

But with Dana, she cared. She felt the growing affection toward the slayer, a sisterly level of understanding and something else. Something she couldn’t put a label on just yet.

The sudden sound of movement coming from the cage steered Faith out of her thoughts and she stood up from where she had previously sat. Her friend, if you could really call her that, was already standing up, waiting for Faith to let her out. It was a ritual now, she guessed. She would let the slayer out of her inhumane cage and they would go out, slay, and talk.

Unlocking the door, the gypsy-haired woman pulled the barrier open with an almost silent creak. Tonight they would do it all over again.

And for now, this was enough.

END